We need a better F2P model

Micro_Cuts

Bioware you need to revise the Free2Play model!

Take a look at Tera or Rift, Free2Play players get there access to the entire content!

Subscribers get things like more currency, +10% Mount Speed, store discount, Daily boost, veteran rewards, ... :rolleyes:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

Take a look at Tera or Rift, Free2Play players get there access to the entire content!

And in SWTOR they get access to 8 class stories for free. How many class stories do I get in Rift or Tera? (I did play Rift.. the answer is zero. I did test Tera.. the answer is still zero)

Why do we need a better F2P model? (and why do you believe to know, what is better?)

Subscribers get things like more currency, +10% Mount Speed, store discount, Daily boost, veteran rewards, ... :rolleyes:

Quit being cheap and subscribe.

Why do we need a better F2P model? (and why do you believe to know, what is better?)

because the swtor free2play model has a bad reputation!

-only1 crew skill

-credit cap

-no operations

-only 5 wz

-only 3 space missions

-2 quickbars!!!

-cannot equip purple items

- cannot equip event items

:eek:

Says who?

F2P:

- all of eight fully voiced class stories

- unlimited access to all other stories

- unlimited access to all planets

- unlimited flashpoints (reward lowered after doing 5 per week)

- many restrictions able to be lifted permanently at the cost of only one months subscription

- no restriction in movement speed (like your +10% speed for subs)

And to be honest: If someone plays for free and then asks for more... still for free.... I am calling them greedy.

-only1 crew skill

-credit cap

-no operations

-only 5 wz

-only 3 space missions

-2 quickbars!!!

If you want all this and more PAY

like the rest of us here...

It is easy. Swtor choose to give f2p players less without changing alot on the subscriber site. Other games give subscribers more in order to provide f2p players the full experience without making the subscription option less appealing to f2p players and people who are already subscribers. (By adding quality of live features to subscrition)

If i had to choose i would say that the second one is the better one for everybody. Bioware decided that they stick with the first and that's why people see their f2p business worse then the business of others.

In my opinion there is not much to discuss because this is all about logic and a bit of thinking to see this.

And i also want to add that what he wants to say has nothing to do with content this game provides for f2p players that others don't. (like class storys)

It is only about the way they decided how they limit f2p player / prefered subscribers.

Edited by chuuuuucky

I, for one, think that when you really enjoy a game and want to support it then you should subscribe.

The F2P model is just fine as it is now. It allows players to play the entirety of the classes and the associated quests on all planets.

I do not see why I should pay for people who do not want to support the game. The F2P model is made to try out the game and see if it suits you. Then if you get along fine with it, you sibscribe to enjoy it more.

Edited by Karson

-only1 crew skill

-credit cap

-no operations

-only 5 wz

-only 3 space missions

-2 quickbars!!!

None of which you need to complete any of the eight class stories.

I honestly ask myself, if there is really ANY human being in the world, who makes their game decision based on number of action bars and number of crew skills.

Is there anyone here, who can seriously claim "If Rift offered me 5 action bars and a second craft skill, I'd rather play Rift than SWTOR, where I only get 2 actionbars and 1 craft skill".

People make game decisions based on the setting of the game. A free to play model is designed to lure the players into this game, make them addicted to the setting and provide some incentive to pay. Absolutely no F2P method is designed without wanting the players to spend money.

-only1 crew skill

-credit cap

-no operations

-only 5 wz

-only 3 space missions

-2 quickbars!!!

I used to think Swtor' s ftp model was quite restrictive, until i realized that everything you mention there, with the exception of credit cap, can be bought/bypassed using in game currency. With a little time and patience, you never actually have to spend real money.

It is not so much about the limitations but more about the fact that there are limitations at all. As i said the other way would be to give f2p players all access to all content as it is right now but give subscribers alot of quality of live options and other stuff in addition so subscribers feel even more appriciated and f2p players have a desire to become subscribers. That is a win - win situation for both factions.

The way it is now f2p players are unhappy with the limitations and subscribers feel like they have not enough additional features to justify their subscription. (I don't think that is true but it's not only the truth that counts but also how people think about it.)

I am not unhappy with the current business model but as stated before i see that BW could have done better when they decided which way they go with their f2p model.

-only1 crew skill

-credit cap

-no operations

-only 5 wz

-only 3 space missions

-2 quickbars!!!

I used to think Swtor' s ftp model was quite restrictive, until i realized that everything you mention there, with the exception of credit cap, can be bought/bypassed using in game currency. With a little time and patience, you never actually have to spend real money.

The model is just fine. As a subscriber, I feel I get mh monies worth and mh kids have f2p accounts and do just fine. *When* they do find limits that stink, I use my sub account to buy unlocks off the gtn and send them to them. In a sense, my sub account covers me and 2 f2p account ts with no problems. Ghats like buying one and getting two free. Stop being so damn cheap. Its a great value for the price. /one of the things Bioware actually did right.

I don't understand... it's free content...for free.

If the F2P model only allowed you to create and customize your character and then when you hit the 'PLAY' button a message popped up that said "Thank You for playing Star Wars The Old Republic subscribe now to to continue your Star Wars Adventure!"... in the end, it would still be free.

I'm already surprised how much of the game can already be played without dropping a penny.

-only1 crew skill

-credit cap

-no operations

-only 5 wz

-only 3 space missions

-2 quickbars!!!

There was a thread on STO's site recently that one of their players said TOR's F2P model sucked and STO was the -- and I quote -- "gold standard of F2P models". That was an LOL moment.

But the 3 space missions? Actually that is a good thing. Free players shouldn't have to be subjected to the crappy space missions anyhow.

And the quickbars part. Doesn't Preferred get 4 which used to be the max? I'm a sub (for a few more weeks) and still only need 4 bars at level cap. Makeb didn't change that. Get a security key. That will get you 2 more bars and another crew skill. Also going from sub to preferred, your current characters keep their 3rd skill. Plus the hardware security key gets you 100 coins per month.

I'm not saying by any stretch that TOR has a nice model. Their model is truly a free trial model. Basically saying to truly enjoy the game you need to sub.

Rift is about to show people what a good model is in about a week (if they truly do what they advertise). Still LOL'ing at STO being called the "gold standard" though.

Edited by Jacen_Starsolo

Just pay for the sub if you want all the bells and whistles. If $15 a month is too much for you to pay than you have other issues in life that you should be looking at other than playing a video game and than complaining about it when you didn't spend a dime in the first place.

If you want all this and more PAY

like the rest of us here...

He is paying. F2P can't post. You argue that F2P gets enough, yet you don't know this basic difference? lol

And the OP is right...the restrictions Bioware has are simply penalties to the F2P player, they do nothing to incentivize subscriptions. Players who aren't already paying, have no incentive to pay more as they can only go so far in the game and don't even get a taste of the bigger stuff.

My suggestions:

- remove the WZ limits for F2P above level 30 (or increase limit to 5 per day)

- Increase WZ coms/credits for subs by 25%, decrease F2P coms/credits/valor by 50%

- remove weekly Ops limit for Subs (or allow 2 at the very least)

- allow F2P any (Story mode) Classic Ops once per week (as subs are currently limited)

- sell a credit unlock/increase

I doubt how much of a F2P community there really is in this game though.

He is paying. F2P can't post. You argue that F2P gets enough, yet you don't know this basic difference? lol

And the OP is right...the restrictions Bioware has are simply penalties to the F2P player, they do nothing to incentivize subscriptions. Players who aren't already paying, have no incentive to pay more as they can only go so far in the game and don't even get a taste of the bigger stuff.

My suggestions:

- remove the WZ limits for F2P above level 30 (or increase limit to 5 per day)

- Increase WZ coms/credits for subs by 25%, decrease F2P coms/credits/valor by 50%

- remove weekly Ops limit for Subs (or allow 2 at the very least)

- allow F2P any (Story mode) Classic Ops once per week (as subs are currently limited)

- sell a credit unlock/increase

I doubt how much of a F2P community there really is in this game though.

He is wrong and you are wrong...

the player plays for free. He has no right to complain.If he wants the whole thing. sub.

the player plays for free. He has no right to complain.If he wants the whole thing. sub.

youre a idiot,he is a sub. YOU CANT POST IF YOU ARENT A SUB

go make a f2p account right now and try to post moron

Edited by astrobearx

youre a idiot,he is a sub. YOU CANT POST IF YOU ARENT A SUB

go make a f2p account right now and try to post moron

You are the idiot.i was not talking about the OP

I was talking about F2P players. learn to read before you call me names.

Edited by hages

You're trying to tell me that my opinion is wrong? Pfft lol - how simpleminded. 2 million people have PAID for this game and QUIT! The need to incentivize subscriptions is very real. F2P players need to see something, while they are playing for FREE, that makes them WANT to subscribe, where 2 million other people who WERE interested enough in the game to financially invest in it QUIT.