The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Please give us less adaptive bra's and more actual clothes for females

I fully support this OP, I get why baggy clothing is out, but can I please have an option to gear my female toons without things magically turning into belly shirts? There's some fantastic looking gear out there (Aspiring Knight's Vest or Lord Cytharat's top for example) that looks great on male characters (and some female companions) but suddenly seems to lose half it's material when I equip it on my toon.

I realise I'm overthinking to a degree, but having my smash monkey run around Hoth in what amounts to fancy skimpies doesn't sit right, the Force is many things, but it's doubtful it has thermal undies powers!

So if there are any devs reading this, I would PAY for the option to force belly shirts not to be belly shirts on female toons, I wouldn't be particularly happy about having to do so - but you'd get the money.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that outfits shouldnt suddenly change completely on female characters.

Theres a common jedi outfit that has everything covered on men, but for women the arms are bare and the belly is as well. I'd actually like to see it with bare arms for men too, but why would jedi have an exposed belly? considering their oaths it would seem odd for them to dress in a seductive way unless they are called Aayla secura.

As a guy who roleplays characters of both genders, I dont mind some skimpier outfits to be around just for variety's sake, but it should be sensible. Outfits shouldnt just completely become skimpy when a woman wears it.

Half of my female characters arent even young pretty women, one of them is a butch bounty hunter psychopath and another is a little old lady sith. I kind of like having characters like that because it sets them apart. Its rare to see a female character that wasnt made to look pretty. The only pretty one I have is a jedi with a burned face.

I'd just like to see some sensibility be used for outfit variations based on gender. the tribal outfit from the last pack did it right. Shirtless for men, and a small top for women. Only if its a revealing outfit for men should it be revealing for women as well.

To be honest some of these I really like. The Reveler's Tops I find pretty elegant to be honest and use them on both my Female Knight (with pants bottoms) and my Sage (with robe bottoms). They look comfortably and elegantly female and the only things with these I really don't care for are the loin cloths associated with them.

Both are color themed and both look really cool and suited to their class. I see no reason why females can't look female in this game; out in the real world females typically wear less than males as well, so I see no issue with several of these outfits. The relaxed tops are also fine I feel.

The only ones I really don't care for are the slave girl outfits, which really don't fit into any class look and don't really work for anything realistic in game aside from RP. It's perhaps outfits like this that should be stat-less RP gear only, and maybe we'd see less of them.

Edited by LeonBraun

I fully support this OP, I get why baggy clothing is out, but can I please have an option to gear my female toons without things magically turning into belly shirts? There's some fantastic looking gear out there (Aspiring Knight's Vest or Lord Cytharat's top for example) that looks great on male characters (and some female companions) but suddenly seems to lose half it's material when I equip it on my toon.

I realise I'm overthinking to a degree, but having my smash monkey run around Hoth in what amounts to fancy skimpies doesn't sit right, the Force is many things, but it's doubtful it has thermal undies powers!

So if there are any devs reading this, I would PAY for the option to force belly shirts not to be belly shirts on female toons, I wouldn't be particularly happy about having to do so - but you'd get the money.

By that example, I doubt the Aspiring Jedi Knight Vest as you want it, is equipped to handle Hoth's cold. :p

I agree that outfits shouldnt suddenly change completely on female characters.

Theres a common jedi outfit that has everything covered on men, but for women the arms are bare and the belly is as well. I'd actually like to see it with bare arms for men too, but why would jedi have an exposed belly? considering their oaths it would seem odd for them to dress in a seductive way unless they are called Aayla secura.

As a guy who roleplays characters of both genders, I dont mind some skimpier outfits to be around just for variety's sake, but it should be sensible. Outfits shouldnt just completely become skimpy when a woman wears it.

Half of my female characters arent even young pretty women, one of them is a butch bounty hunter psychopath and another is a little old lady sith. I kind of like having characters like that because it sets them apart. Its rare to see a female character that wasnt made to look pretty. The only pretty one I have is a jedi with a burned face.

I'd just like to see some sensibility be used for outfit variations based on gender. the tribal outfit from the last pack did it right. Shirtless for men, and a small top for women. Only if its a revealing outfit for men should it be revealing for women as well.

Nothing in a Jedi's code says "I am now celibate." And the Vest in which you post about, does not become skimpy (it provides more than enough) and really, to use your example, when it's hot out (like on Tattooine) one might want to wear less.

For me, it's not so much 'omg it's revealing skin/i'm scandalized', as it is being slightly frustrated from an RP/practical standpoint. None of the adaptive "bras"/belly shirts really fit with either of my female characters, and it's sometimes frustrating to find a really awesome top that looks good on a male model, only to find it cut short on a female model, not just the midriff part, but also the sleeves as well. Bah!

(And while I'm on the subject, there's those tops that have a buttcape on the back, and it has this really awkward strip holding it in place on a female's back. I often wonder how much adhesive fashion tape keeps those things in place, hehe)

Mind you, I do think such crop tops would work for certain companion characters (i.e. Risha, Vette, Dark!Jaesa) and I'm not saying they should be removed altogether -because how one person may RP a character is different than how I RP and that is perfectly okay- but I think the option for 'full coverage' tops for females should at least be made available, even if we have to pay 5-10 cartel credits for it.

I see no reason why females can't look female in this game; out in the real world females typically wear less than males as well, so I see no issue with several of these outfits.

Wait.

So if I put on a long sleeve t-shirt and a hoodie, I'm no longer a woman? That's so weird ._.

(Did you mean 'feminine' or 'sexy'?)

There are only 3 "bra" armors in the game. Dancer, slave, and the stylish outfit which has 3-4 retextures for some reason. (I don't really count the new Mira or the "relaxed" outfits as "bra" armor)

All of them don't really work unless you want to use the entire outfit. The loin cloth attached to the chest piece (for whatever some reason) clips really badly with just about everything except pants.

It would be nice if they would release essentially the same outfits but without the loin cloth so we could use other leggings without horrid clipping.

Edited by Vinak

By that example, I doubt the Aspiring Jedi Knight Vest as you want it, is equipped to handle Hoth's cold. :p

Very true but at least I could imagine some thermals on under it! In all seriousness though, people here aren't stomping their foot and demanding the removal of the belly shirt thing, just asking for options so the people that want the belly tops/sports bra look can keep it, and the ones who want sleeves or stomach covering etc. on female toons can have that too. We know the skins are there to put the male versions on female toons as some of the companions wear them, so most of the work is already done.

None of my character's are prudish, but most of them like to keep warm and/or not leave the perfect unarmoured opening for enemy lightsabers ( I can't help it, I'm an RP player at heart!) :)

Edited by Furtled

Boring is subjective. Bra's there really isn't that many of them (total of 3).

In fairness a lot of the (Imperial side especially) robes do look closer to fancy sports bras than actual armour/clothing when equipped on female characters.

None of my character's are prudish, but most of them like to keep warm and/or not leave the perfect unarmoured opening for enemy lightsabers ( I can't help it, I'm an RP player at heart!) :)

Not showing skin isn't a sign of prudishness or a dislike of sex/sexuality, but rather (for the most part) personal preference. In fact, sometimes fully covering, skin-tight clothing can be as sexy as (if not possibly sexier, depending on the person) as the bikini-mail option (and also a tad more practical :p)

I really don't understand how Bioware didn't think that people would want more options with their characters. They've introduced the entire Cartel Market, the main purpose of which is to give more fluff options, and yet we're still stuck with having armour pieces that go from full-covering on male characters to expose-nearly-everything on female characters?

Not to mention that the Slave and Dancer armour is still female only :rolleyes:

Not showing skin isn't a sign of prudishness or a dislike of sex/sexuality, but rather (for the most part) personal preference. In fact, sometimes fully covering, skin-tight clothing can be as sexy as (if not possibly sexier, depending on the person) as the bikini-mail option (and also a tad more practical :p)

I really don't understand how Bioware didn't think that people would want more options with their characters. They've introduced the entire Cartel Market, the main purpose of which is to give more fluff options, and yet we're still stuck with having armour pieces that go from full-covering on male characters to expose-nearly-everything on female characters?

Exactly eluding to sexuality is far more potent that simply letting it all hang out :p there is no mystery if its all to see, gets quite boring honestly.

The slave armour irks me too, but I've reached the point where it's just melded into the rest of the background radiation that is sexisim in gaming that I try to blank out so I can get on and enjoy my game time. Granted prudish may have been the wrong choice of words on my part and yeah, sexy can be achieved just as easily fully clothed; personally I'm a fan of keeping that air of mystery, but I've no problems with anyone who chooses to express themselves by wearing less.

Practicality is my thing for the most part, I like to gear characters as appropriately as possible to their character and the circumstances - which I know is a bit daft considering we're talking magic space knights and similar - but there ya go! :)

Given how much potential there is for money to be made catering to people who want more basic options I'm a bit stumped nothing's been done.

Given how much potential there is for money to be made catering to people who want more basic options I'm a bit stumped nothing's been done.

I guess it's too hard for them to make a toggle option on the 'reveal stomach/arms' clothing items to, you know, not reveal the stomach and arms.

Also, modelling the Slave/Dance gear for male characters must be so hard, it's not like Ixum hasn't given them pointers already. They even used his Aspiring Knight skimp.

Entirely too many female characters running around in relaxed uniform top, elegant loungewear bottoms, and covert gear elsewhere... almost certainly none of them played by a female player. Consular and Inquisitor classes were doing the same sort of thing since launch in the Slave Girl/Dancer sets but Adaptive gear allows every class to indulge.

While I agree it's seen far to often, and with classes/companions it doesn't even make sense with...what I find really funny (possibly ignorant) is this statement.

It's totally ignorant.

Girls admire other girls all the time, it's cool, it's awesome, there's no shame in it at all, and they appreciate each others' bodies all the time. If I were a girl I'd have no problems making a sexy girl toon, and a sexy guy toon, and whatever else.

But yeah, statements like that one are completely shallow and ignorant.

The fancy reveler dancer sets are actually stipper versions of the elegant dress top. But I'm on board with this too. As a male I play male characters because I like to flirt with girls not guys. I have some of my companions fairly dressed down but id love to have some outfits that are sexy not just sex tops.

I don't like seeing all these street walkers all the time but I can't argue a guy wanting a hot girl to look at. My buddy probably has the scankiest outfit out there for his character I prefer a covered sexy look over running around in bra and panties and suggesting you are well armored!