Weapons

Asturias

When are we going to see weapons restriction lifted? I don't understand why a Mercenary can't equip a rifle or a Juggernaught can't equip a dualsaber. None of these things should hurt nor change game mechanics. Its the small things that count in games. Customization is key to letting players create a unique experience and look. Edited by Asturias

A lot of the classes are designed around their weapons. Even the trees are designed around it. If they removed the restrictions, you would have people gimping themselves. Guardians/Juggernauts get bonus damage with 1 handed weapons, what would that do if they had two 1 handed weapons? Or all the "hits with both weapons" abilities and how would they balance with 1 weapon, say a rifle or saber staff?

It would be like in WoW where Arms warriors (a 2 handed based class) where running around dual wielding gimping themselves. The restrictions are in place for balance reasons and are not as simple as "easy change" make it happen. Arms warriors basically got their hands held leading them to the proper weapon choice since it wasn't so obvious to some...

Edited by AidanLightwalker

For jugger not equipping a dbl bladed sabre, dbl sabre's have higher base damage than single sabres.

Really, Last I checked double bladed lightsabers have Will Power stats. They can easily impliment Strength powered double bladed lightsabers that can match up with single bladed saber swords.

This is about customization of character and this is really about quality of life aesthetics change for players.

They can implement this in game.

A lot of the classes are designed around their weapons. Even the trees are designed around it. If they removed the restrictions, you would have people gimping themselves. Guardians/Juggernauts get bonus damage with 1 handed weapons, what would that do if they had two 1 handed weapons? Or all the "hits with both weapons" abilities and how would they balance with 1 weapon, say a rifle or saber staff?

It would be like in WoW where Arms warriors (a 2 handed based class) where running around dual wielding gimping themselves. The restrictions are in place for balance reasons and are not as simple as "easy change" make it happen. Arms warriors basically got their hands held leading them to the proper weapon choice since it wasn't so obvious to some...

Really, not one single spec in the Mercenary tree says I am subject to only using two handed weapons and remember other classes have either a shield base totem like object for there offhand which makes up the difference vs classes that have both hands field.

Mercenary vs Commando is a prime example and they are the same class just different animation moves.

Edited by Asturias

This. Can =/= should

Really, Last I checked double bladed lightsabers have Will Power stats. They can easily impliment Strength powered double bladed lightsabers that can match up with single bladed saber swords.

This is about customization of character and this is really about quality of life aesthetics change for players.

They can implement this in game.

You did not understand what he meant. It's not about willpower vs strength. Doublebladed sabers have higher base damage. You can insert the same hilt to a normal saber and to a double saber, but double saber WILL ALWAYS have higher damage. It's the same thing as light / medium / heavy armor and armouring mods.

So basically:

Light Weapons: lightsaber, pistol, rifle, vibrosword

Heavy Weapons: double saber, canon, sniper, electrostaff

Dual wielding light weapons also kinda counts as 1 heavy.

So you could get away with giving double bladed saber to a sentnel / marauder, but not to guardian / juggernaut.

Edited by Aelther

could always add in a penalty(or boost) for using the other weapons to even out and damage/stat differences

i agree it would be nice to not be stuck with 1 type of weapon, i'd love for my jugg to dual wield or use a double blade

could always add in a penalty(or boost) for using the other weapons to even out and damage/stat differences

i agree it would be nice to not be stuck with 1 type of weapon, i'd love for my jugg to dual wield or use a double blade

Well we have adaptive armour, no reason why we can't have adaptive weapons as well. Sadly I doubt that would ever happen.

They would have to add all new animations for every type of weapon for all of the skills. Right now, the skills are all animated with certain weapons in mind and simply not work if there was a different type of weapon equipped.

Because we all know how well the bolster system worked to balance the playing field.

No, I think that as cool as it might be to allow such a thing, we're better off if they don't go mucking around in the system to re-work the system for weapons that all the classes are balanced around and just leave things as they are.

It would, in fact, probably be easier for them to implement some sort of "weapon appearance" system so that you could just drop an item into a slot to make your pistol look like a rifle or your single bladed saber look like a double bladed saber instead.

Then they could charge Cartel Coins for it.

Enough said ... btw that would be sick ... I love bugs

Oh and if anyone has any complains keep in mind this was within a month from release ... oh and ignore the music ... too lazy to edit it out =)

Edited by Kiaxn

Because we all know how well the bolster system worked to balance the playing field.

No, I think that as cool as it might be to allow such a thing, we're better off if they don't go mucking around in the system to re-work the system for weapons that all the classes are balanced around and just leave things as they are.

It would, in fact, probably be easier for them to implement some sort of "weapon appearance" system so that you could just drop an item into a slot to make your pistol look like a rifle or your single bladed saber look like a double bladed saber instead.

Then they could charge Cartel Coins for it.

it really wouldn't be all that hard to adjust for just a few items or maybe even just create new weapons for those classes

Edited by Annndy

it really wouldn't be all that hard to adjust for just a few items or maybe even just create new weapons for those classes

You mean completely changing the animations of 8 classes, adjust the base values of statistics andredesigning talents and skills so they work with different weapon types wouldnt be all that hard?

Besides the development issue. Certain classes have certain perks: weapon type is one of them.

I love the unqueness of my shadow because he has the double bladed sabre, just like a lot people love the dual wielding.

You mean completely changing the animations of 8 classes, adjust the base values of statistics andredesigning talents and skills so they work with different weapon types wouldnt be all that hard?

Besides the development issue. Certain classes have certain perks: weapon type is one of them.

I love the unqueness of my shadow because he has the double bladed sabre, just like a lot people love the dual wielding.

not nearly as much work as you're thinking, the jugg for example would require very little work aside from stat adjustments for dual wield, a double blade would require some animations true but also many skills already have close to the same animations and could easily be used

I've known enough people involved with MMO's over the years to know that the only thing the phrase "not all that hard" applies to is fixing typos.

If you think otherwise, I look forward to playing the MMO you're developing.

Edited by Rankyn

I've known enough people involved with MMO's over the years to know that the only thing the phrase "not all that hard" applies to is fixing typos.

If you think otherwise, I look forward to playing the MMO you're developing.

ah yes my mistake, i didn't realize i'm talking to an expert here. please tell me what programming languages you know? how many games have you made? oh right i forgot you just "know people"

ah yes my mistake, i didn't realize i'm talking to an expert here. please tell me what programming languages you know? how many games have you made? oh right i forgot you just "know people"

A lot of work would go into making all weapons available to each class. The game was built around each AC having one specific weapon type (or in Snipers case 2 very similar weapon types). An analogy that could be used when working on a house it's a lot easier to add things like extra outlets or plumbing before it's done and the walls are closed up. Once it's done if you wanna do the same thing you have to pull up floors, cut holes in walls and all sorts of other collateral damage to achieve the same results.

I'm no master programmer but off the top of my head things that would have change for this to happen:

- All weapons base damage would have to be normalized. We already know a Commando using a rifle is taking DPS hit so to account for this weapon base stats would have to be equalized.

- Every tree would have to be adjusted significantly. The bonuses to each ability are based on the base stat of the weapon each AC uses. Scoundrels get bigger bonuses because they get less of a bonus from one pistol than a Commando gets from his cannon. So if a Scoundrel started using a cannon as it is now they would be getting a much bigger bonus form talents than intended.

- Animations. This isn't super simple like people think. It has to look good (Voltaic Slash with a one hand saber would look very clunky and unbalanced). It has to look feasible (imagine our cannon wielding Scoundrel raising his whole weapon above his head to use blaster whip, with one hand no less). Accounting for all kinds of weapons for each animation would lead to them looking very uninspired. They would have to be very generic. Clairvoyant Strike is one of my favorite animations and it would have to go because of how stupid it would look with a one sided saber.

So to make everyone more unique (you special snowflakes you) by using whatever weapon suits your fancy you make everything more the same. Stats would be the same. Animations would lose all of their flair (Think Massacre with only one saber or a double saber).

It's all fine and dandy for a Bounty Hunter to hold a blaster rifle in one and use his flamethrower. But how is the trooper going to use Pulse Cannon with a pistol? And I don't think they should give a Trooper a Flamethrower.

Each class would probably lose their "uniqueness" if you all the gunslinger to weild a sniper rifle (however I would like my Gunslinger to use a SNiper rifle... :o)

I'm no game designer but I suspect what this guy is saying is the answer. Changing what weapons a given class can use is likely something this is quite involved and can't be done on a whim. Personally, I'd rather Bioware devoted their energy to fixing the numerous bugs in the game and developing new content than making available weapons ubiquitous to classes.

I agree with the person you are quoting.

Oh right, you want credentials:

C++, Python, Perl, Unreal Script, Delphi, a little lua, and Java. I've also made 5 or 6 amateur games (not published).

Satisfied?

I'm sorry, but this would be a no go....You'd have to change the animations and abilities because some abilities require a certain weapon to use.

Sentinel/Marauder double saber throwing 2 pistols...

Jugg/Guardian single throwing a rifle or Assault Cannon...

A 'slinger or Merc running around with 2 lightsabers or other melee weapons...

A Merc or Commando using Full Auto/Unload with a Lightsaber....Yea...ok...

Need I go on? :rolleyes:

Edited by Lowyjowylof