ETA on Advanced Class change?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I get that this is your opinion, I just don't see this topic as particularly volatile. Here why:

A small handful of people really really want this feature. A small handful of people are really really opposed to this feature. 99% of all posts in this thread are by those same people, who sometimes get on a roll and go back and forth 10-15 times in a single day.

I think the majority of players really don't care one way or the other.

/2cents

....and /thread tbh

It's the same six people arguing about it. Good for /popcorn though.

AC class change is a functional way to experience a different class without moving to another server once all slots are filled out. Another functionality is having a character in mid 30'ies that just not cutting it for you. It is hard to delete, it is hard to restart. So, upon reflection, it is something that can be valuable.

AC class change is a functional way to experience a different class without moving to another server once all slots are filled out. Another functionality is having a character in mid 30'ies that just not cutting it for you. It is hard to delete, it is hard to restart. So, upon reflection, it is something that can be valuable.

While I agree with the sentiment, every decision we make in life has consequences. If we spend 20 years in a career that we just hate, we have to go back to SQUARE ONE, and pick a new direction. I could not just take my 20 years in Data centers and think I could roll them into Web Design. They are both technical fields which require a good deal of knowledge, but fundamentally, rebuilding a server, and rebuilding a website are nothing alike. I feel the permanency of your choice almost requires you to finish what you start.

Otherwise, you get players like the ones who roll an alt, get to level 12, delete it, and then repeat the cycle until they have played every class a half dozen times. Our actions have consequences. Even the advanced trainers and confirmation window tell us that :) Allowing an AC swap removes those consequences and then (insert slippery slope argument here).

Let me remind you that this is simply a game meant to entertain people. Keep that in mind.

It's actually meant to make money. Customer entertainment is secondary. Harsh, but true. If making AC changes available takes away from profit possibility, it ain't happening.

Let me remind you that this is simply a game meant to entertain people. Keep that in mind.

True, but if that were true, that would mean that ANYTHING is possible, and SHOULD be in the game for the enjoyment of its players. Things like flying speeders, a dressing room in the CM, Faction Change (Defector's Quest), and more. Consequences are created to establish boundaries. It is the easiest way of maintaining control from an administrative perspective.

It's actually meant to make money. Customer entertainment is secondary. Harsh, but true. If making AC changes available takes away from profit possibility, it ain't happening.

Which in this case, it would. If you can just switch ACs, you are only playing on ONE character, instead of TWO. Buying gear for one. Playing for one. Spending just enough time for one. With AC, it doubles your play time, and your gear costs, and ultimately (if you are subbed) extends your play time DOUBLE and has you paying more per month. AC swap would, even in a small way, affect their bottom line. They are not interested in ideas which cause them to lose money, even tiny amounts.

True, and not harsh at all...it's reality :) - I was stating that from a players perspective though of "consequences" for choices made in life vs a game.

True, but if that were true, that would mean that ANYTHING is possible, and SHOULD be in the game for the enjoyment of its players. Things like flying speeders, a dressing room in the CM, Faction Change (Defector's Quest), and more. Consequences are created to establish boundaries. It is the easiest way of maintaining control from an administrative perspective.

You're confusing dreams with reality - limitations of the engine and developer resources factor into everything. I'm not against any of those ideas, especially a dressing room, which I'm a strong proponent of and I believe it would be an instant $ maker for Bioware...but all things take time and resources to implement, which means first they have to be deemed worth the investment and technically feasible to do. In time, I'm sure all of those things are possible.

Which in this case, it would. If you can just switch ACs, you are only playing on ONE character, instead of TWO. Buying gear for one. Playing for one. Spending just enough time for one. With AC, it doubles your play time, and your gear costs, and ultimately (if you are subbed) extends your play time DOUBLE and has you paying more per month. AC swap would, even in a small way, affect their bottom line. They are not interested in ideas which cause them to lose money, even tiny amounts.

After i've leveled an alt, the only thing i use it for is another set of dlyies if i want money/comms/rep and for crafting. By far the majority of my total played time is in 3 characters (i have ~ 15 55s). Make me happy to play my mains, give me flexibilty with them, and I will be a happier camper. Time spent leveling alts has not added to my sub time nor has it doubled my played time even though i have 4x as many alts as I have mains. Also note that my reasons for rolling alts have nothing to do with "trying a different ac" although i did make a point of covering all of the classes/stories on both factions.

but all things take time and resources to implement, which means first they have to be deemed worth the investment and technically feasible to do. In time, I'm sure all of those things are possible.

I agree that all things take time, and should be deemed worthy. I just don't see this as being a hot topic. I can see Dual Spec being more useful in the long run. Something that allows you to change from Tank to DPS with the click of a button and all of your hotbars are preset. An AC swap just seems more in-depth, and only has a handful of followers. The biggest proponent of this is a guy who has admitted other things should go in long before AC swapping. At this point, the thread is only still alive because of 10 random talkers.

After i've leveled an alt, the only thing i use it for is another set of dlyies if i want money/comms/rep and for crafting. By far the majority of my total played time is in 3 characters (i have ~ 15 55s). Make me happy to play my mains, give me flexibilty with them, and I will be a happier camper. Time spent leveling alts has not added to my sub time nor has it doubled my played time even though i have 4x as many alts as I have mains. Also note that my reasons for rolling alts have nothing to do with "trying a different ac" although i did make a point of covering all of the classes/stories on both factions.

In order to maintain that many alts you either pay for a sub, or pay for unlocks. You also spent (fair estimate) 30 hours of playtime leveling each one. That's 450 hours of playtime spread over X number of months. And since then have spent the majority of your time split between 3 mains, not just one. So, in essence, you already spend 3 times more time in the game than someone with 1 main. Thus showing that time is money :)

Edited by Superman_AZ

I agree that all things take time, and should be deemed worthy. I just don't see this as being a hot topic.

You've made that clear by spamming this thread daily since your return ;)

And it's not a "hot topic", it's a QoL issue that removes a hurdle for some players. I don't think it's a huge $ maker idea for Bioware, but it's an idea that, imo, has zero negative consequence with only positive potential.

This thread is getting to "Premades are ruining unranked Warzones" levels.

Still though, I much rather see a faction change option over an AC change. I mean can a Jedi go darkside "irl"? Cmon man....:o

Pffft...that's crazy talk! Did you ever see a Jedi fall to the darkside in the movi...err...

In order to maintain that many alts you either pay for a sub, or pay for unlocks. You also spent (fair estimate) 30 hours of playtime leveling each one. That's 450 hours of playtime spread over X number of months. And since then have spent the majority of your time split between 3 mains, not just one. So, in essence, you already spend 3 times more time in the game than someone with 1 main. Thus showing that time is money :)

i pay for a sub. Most of my total played time is on my main characters. Almost every day i've been on one of them (and sometimes i also level an alt). If I couldn't level alts i would still have the sub and my total played time would probably not go down. If you removed my alt-leveling time and assume i spent that time doing something else, the bulk of my played time in this game would not go down much. My only point is that leveling alts, even many, has not multiplied my played time, nor has it increased my sub time. It might have if this game made having multiple accounts viable but it almost actively discourages that (not a knock on the devs for that call but I bet they would have done that differently if they were smarter). Clarification edit: if i went to each of my characters and did a /played on them and totaled the number, more than 60% of that total would come from 3 of those 15 characters. And 1 of those mains only exisots because i play on 2 servers (made before merges and before transfers were allowed, not to try a new ac ;>).

i'm just using myself as an example of someone that's played a lot and many alts : ac respecs would not touch discourage either for me.

Edited by Savej