Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

ETA on Advanced Class change?

It is probably not about affording, it is about even thinking them up. Even now, some classes have a bit dull stories. And I imagine each story must have a script thick as a shorter book.

And several games (both from MMO verse and Single Player verse) let you choose a advanced class and to not have to option to change it.

Sure. In most games where you choose your advanced class later on (they are usually called something else) they are given more prominence in the game, more meaning.

In this game, not so much. That is one of the flaws of the AC system as it was designed here, and one of the biggest reasons I would prefer not to see AC change, as it would further demean a choice that is already weak in meaning at best.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure. In most games where you choose your advanced class later on (they are usually called something else) they are given more prominence in the game, more meaning.

In this game, not so much. That is one of the flaws of the AC system as it was designed here, and one of the biggest reasons I would prefer not to see AC change, as it would further demean a choice that is already weak in meaning at best.

If the meaningfulness of the choice is weak, that's all the more reason to allow changing it.

If the meaningfulness of the choice is weak, that's all the more reason to allow changing it.

I won't argue that would be the case for some folks. For me personally it would be the opposite. I would like the choice to have more meaning, not less.

I will not, however, demand that my choice have meaning at the expense of the majority of the playerbase. If AC change is what is best for the game and what the majority wants I will begrudgingly accept it.

I won't argue that would be the case for some folks. For me personally it would be the opposite. I would like the choice to have more meaning, not less.

I will not, however, demand that my choice have meaning at the expense of the majority of the playerbase. If AC change is what is best for the game and what the majority wants I will begrudgingly accept it.

And you will like it!

:p

I think this was posted before, but see here, class system from Ragnarok Online MMORPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4MRH7U8u_T8/TKsUSrTSTII/AAAAAAAAAAY/knWDiwIuupc/s1600/job-change-system2.jpg

All players start as novice. At level 10, they choose their 1st Job, at level 40, they can choose another class (based on 1st Job), and after yet another leveling, they can pick another class.

Having system like this, which would further specialize our advanced class, would certainly added to the uniqueness and permanence of the process.

I think this was posted before, but see here, class system from Ragnarok Online MMORPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4MRH7U8u_T8/TKsUSrTSTII/AAAAAAAAAAY/knWDiwIuupc/s1600/job-change-system2.jpg

All players start as novice. At level 10, they choose their 1st Job, at level 40, they can choose another class (based on 1st Job), and after yet another leveling, they can pick another class.

Having system like this, which would further specialize our advanced class, would certainly added to the uniqueness and permanence of the process.

That is interesting certainly. It does offer incredible diversity.

I have to agree with Bran on this point. It's something many people want, it would sell and allowing it would harm nobody and change nothing in the game for the worse.

Wanting to play one character and experience all the potential roles of that character is not lazy. I am not advocating a player gets anything for free or that it would be a simple flip switch. You would still need to unlock the option and pay everytime you switched (enough to make it feasible, not enough to make it an unrealistic proposition).

In many ways only having one character that can flip between ACs is less beneficial as you only have the inventory space of one character and you can only do dailies and other lock outs once in any time period.

However not everyone has vast amounts of time to sink into an MMO to just level characters, no matter how easier that task is in this game to others.

This feels very similar in effect to the arguments made against the ewok being purchasable through cartel coins. Somehow you find it offensive that someone could possibly pay for something you have spent time acquiring.

You can already play all potential roles of any given character by changing your spec. When you choose a class (AC) you choose the roles that character can fulfill. You are asking to be able to fill roles intended to be filled by another character of a different AC. The devs intended that NO single character be able to fill all three roles and designed the AC's to reflect this design intent.

You can already play all potential roles of any given character by changing your spec. When you choose a class (AC) you choose the roles that character can fulfill. You are asking to be able to fill roles intended to be filled by another character of a different AC. The devs intended that NO single character be able to fill all three roles and designed the AC's to reflect this design intent.

I'm not debating on what the original intent of the design was. I am asking for a change to be considered that opens up the flexibility of the Advanced Class system.

In and of itself allowing a character to be able to fill any of the three recognised roles of the trinity (DPS, Heal, Tank) is not game breaking. When I played WoW they had Paladins and Druids that had the opportunity to spec over into any of these three roles, although as I recall they were never as effective as a dedicated tank or healer but the increased versatility made up for this. They may have more classe that cover the full spread now I haven't played it in some time.

[edit: They do indeed just looked and they have the Monk class. of course just because it's done this way in WoW doesn't mean SWTOR devs should do it that way too, I'm only illustrating the fact that there is no unwritten rule in MMO mechanics that says a class can't fill all three roles of the trinity.]

The danger is allowing core skill sets from Heal and Tank to be allowed at the same time. Many of the Tank abilities are passive/ equipment based such as being able to equip a shield generator. Giving them an avenue to cast self heals and defensive bubbles and stance flip between healing stance or tanking stance at the drop of a hat would have an impact on balance especially in PvP situations. The switch out between Tank to DPS or Heal to DPS is less dramatic as all classes need to do some amount of damage anyway.

I think this separation was the main reasoning behind the decision. Asking for the ability to switch between the ACs does not negate this in any way as you are still limiting the choice of a player, they must fulfil either a Tanking role OR a Healing role at any one time and not both. And it still allows for the ability to drop into DPS mode for quickly running through dailies.

Continually saying the original intent overrides any future considerations is a poor argument, games change, it may not be a change you like or overly agree with but they do change.

Edited by Vhaegrant

200+ pages and not a word from BW...:(

The whole team of Bioware and even the CEO of EA could come by and state "This permanent choice will remain permanent until further notice!" and people would still keep posting about it... so why bother?

What? Isn't Bioware going to develop a button that instantly levels me to the maximum level and gives me all the equipment that I want and all the quests done so that I will have nothing to do in the game anymore? Man, that's just absurd. Edited by Nilatis

I'm sure in the 2000+ replies I've replied once already, but since BW has not ONCE stepped into this thread, I'll repeat myself.

I don't want advanced class changes. We get enough char slots, and it's fast enough to level another toon that we don't need advanced class changes.

However, what I would like to see a simpler approach to spec switching within advanced class. One that remembers gear, button/screen layout, talents, etc. Yes, I know I can do everything I'm asking for over time...maybe a minute or two...but as a convenience, it would be nice to switch from pvp to pve or healz to dps or dps to tank, all at once, in 1 click.

I would much rather see BioWare work on making rewards like titles, valor, pets, mounts, etc Legacy-wide, rather than allowing advanced class changes. AC changes discourages rolling alts of the same class, but if all of your rewards and such were Legacy-wide, then rerolling your main to the new AC becomes feasible.

Advance Class change ETA –Official: 2055 or NEVER I HOPE!

Ooh and that was of course not an Official ETA, but I agree with many who state AC change would be a huge mistake. Not only discourages rolling alts (which is one of the main aspects of this game), but would be a game killer for many subs myself included. AC change would be one more step in destroying this title and suddenly making all classes mundane. I know I can't speak for everyone, but I want to work for an AC class and have a more unique character in a FP or warzone, not just playing my Trooper as Healer/DPS and Warrior as tank/dps. EA/BIO DONT DO IT PLEASE!!!

If this is added the game will rank very low imo.

Did they really say they would allow an Advanced Class change?

Not sure I would ever use it, but I can't say I hate it either.

Oh Hai! :) I haz you on /follow in the forum atm. :p

I personally don't feel like they ever committed to this. They hummed and hawed just enough for people to interpret that as a "yes". But so much of the games direction and design has changed since the emotional event that triggered the passion around this.. that I really would not bet on it ever happening.

But hey.. who knows.. they DO like to surprise the players. [please to note: I am not setting expectations with/for anyone by this comment. :p ]

Edited by Andryah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.