changing security key from iphone to fob?

lisay

Has anyone figured out how to change the security key from the iphone to the fob? They just sent me the physical security key, and I'd like to use that, but I can't figure out how to switch. I would need to get back to the initial security page that has you enter the serial number on the fob, but clicking on the security key link doesn't work. I tried emailing customer service, but they just sent me a link to the security key link page.... :(

Has anyone figured out how to change the security key from the iphone to the fob? They just sent me the physical security key, and I'd like to use that, but I can't figure out how to switch. I would need to get back to the initial security page that has you enter the serial number on the fob, but clicking on the security key link doesn't work. I tried emailing customer service, but they just sent me a link to the security key link page.... :(

You can't. It's an amazingly amateurish mistake on their part on the account management system, there is no way to remove a key or update it once added. I submitted a ticket asking about it and got a reply that had nothing to do with my question and they closed the ticket.

I submitted a second ticket...somewhat less polite than the first...we'll see if a human actually reads it this time or if I'll get another key word response that has nothing to do with what I asked.

Admin really needs to figure this out! :confused:

1- What is the serial number the iphone app is asking for?

2- Is this a one or the other decision? Meaning can one only use the i-app for the security number or the small key chain device you purchase?

3- What happens when you lose your small device? Can one still use the i-app? I KNOW that as much as I lose my keys- I will misplace this and I'm hoping my phone is going to allow me to play until I founf my key-chain device.

PLEASE RESPOND KEEP THIS THREAD ACTIVE SO THEY CAN MAKE THIS A PRIORITY!!!!

You can't. It's an amazingly amateurish mistake on their part on the account management system, there is no way to remove a key or update it once added. I submitted a ticket asking about it and got a reply that had nothing to do with my question and they closed the ticket.

I submitted a second ticket...somewhat less polite than the first...we'll see if a human actually reads it this time or if I'll get another key word response that has nothing to do with what I asked.

It isn't amateurish, WoW does the same thing, and there is a good reason behind it. Each code from the authenticator is considered valid for a set amount of time (~2 Minutes). This prevents someone with a real-time keylogger (or momentary access to your Phone/Authenticator) from removing the requirement for login and stealing your account.

Honestly, Syas, it is amatuerish. Even WoW allows you to remove a security keyfob or app from securing your acct should you wish to do so or to change from the keyfob to an iOS/Android app or vice versa. I know this from experience as I used the iOS device for my security on WoW for awhile and had to remove the security from my acct for a short time while it was being repaired so that I could still play. SWtoR does not allow any changes to the security key device once added. You add the security key to your acct and it cannot be removed the way the system is currently setup.

Trust me, I know. I have an iPod touch that I downloaded the iOS app for so I could secure my account. I thought that like WoW they would cater to the iOS crowd first and then a few months from now release the Android app that I can use on my phone. Imagine my surprise when I found out 2 days later that an Android app was set to be released. Now I have the app on my phone but no way to change from the iOS app to the Android one.

This is something that does need to be addressed and I hope that the admins implement a fix for it soon. Personally, it doesn't affect me very much as both of my devices are readily available to me when I'm in front of my computer. However, it would be nice to have the option to change things in case my iPod touch actually dies or gets lost.

Edited by PhoenixAegis

You can call... like I did or am.. .I've been in their hold queue for nearly an hour and a half right now trying to get it deactivated on my iPhone. Bad news is they don't have a button to push for Security Key help. So I went to account help (First 45 minute queue).

They took my info and put me into the tech support queue where I've now been sitting for 45 minutes. You can get help... just be prepared to wait.

Just to help: number is 855-467-9867.

But seriously make sure you don't have to go anywhere for a few hours.

Edited by Beatmiser

I'd like to be able to use both mobile app & a physical fob key. I don't like the idea of single-point of failure with just one or the other.

You can call... like I did or am.. .I've been in their hold queue for nearly an hour and a half right now trying to get it deactivated on my iPhone. Bad news is they don't have a button to push for Security Key help. So I went to account help (First 45 minute queue).

They took my info and put me into the tech support queue where I've now been sitting for 45 minutes. You can get help... just be prepared to wait.

In other words don't loose your fob / mobile unless you're willing to wait for a while and to call Tech Support instead of Account help.

Edited by Kunari

I'd like to be able to use both mobile app & a physical fob key. I don't like the idea of single-point of failure with just one or the other.

In other words don't loose your fob / mobile unless you're willing to wait for a while and to call Tech Support instead of Account help.

Yeah- pretty much that. I keep wanting to give up, but i've got nearly an hour and a half invested in this call now.

Just to update this for those interested.

Here is what you need to do.

Call the number listed above.

Select TECH SUPPORT

Wait (Final wait time 2:13 ... holy balls)

Give them the serial number from your app (It is under settings)

30 seconds later... it's deactivated.

That's it!

I think the issue goes beyond losing your phone, in my case i plugged my iphone into my computer and it started syncing with iTunes. The app disappeared from my iphone and i went to add it again and now i'm stuck out of my account no way to get the activation key for the app to get past so that i may get my security keys once again...going on my 30 min of waiting with customer care hopefully this can be fixed. Yet another example of this flawed system for security as if 5 secret questions wasn't enough for security my ******* wanted more....sigh

UPDATE:

I called in and submitted a ticket now I must wait until they call me and help me remove the security code. not entirely sure if the representative helping me was competent and aware of the situation but i think they follow a protocol script so meh couldn't tell if it was a human or robot. i just want to play my game man thats all.

Edited by shahriar_b

Wow... I had really wanted to have it set up on both the physical unit (which is it is now) and my iPhone just to be on the safe side. To make it so that it's one or the other is something I don't like but I can't really do anything about.

Oh, well... I'll try not to lose this thing hah

Same problem here. I submitted a ticket but only got back an automated reply with the link and the security key faq. :rolleyes:

I want to use both, the app and the physical key, just in case one gets lost or gets broken or some other unforseen event happens.

Keep this thread at the top of the list. This needs to be fixed! :mad:

Ok so I'm new to this problem and like all of you I ordered my key-fab while using the iphone app. Best part is i dont own an iphone my fiance does, but BW really wanted us to use this so i set up my account and now 10 dollars later (add shipping) i'm not able to log in without my fiances phone or spending 2-3 hours on it do hope to get a competent rep and fix something which should take 5 mins MAX. This is BS Bio Ware!!!! I would NEVER have "secured" my account and i'll tell everyone I play with to stop doing it since it's VERY FLAWED. You should be able to do this once you log into my account from the web site. I mean 5 questions and a security key but i cant update my security key profile?!?! Tell you what, try some actual customer service.. fix it or email me letting me know you took care of it bc i want to believe you all will try and fix an OBVIOUS ISSUE.

It isn't amateurish, WoW does the same thing, and there is a good reason behind it. Each code from the authenticator is considered valid for a set amount of time (~2 Minutes). This prevents someone with a real-time keylogger (or momentary access to your Phone/Authenticator) from removing the requirement for login and stealing your account.

Umm no.

In WoW you can remove a security from your own account without calling them on the phone, as long as you still have the security key.

As for the answer I got to my second ticket "Call CS, we can't handle it in email".

Hey so I've never had a fob key like this before.. Can you change the batteries once they die? I can't seem to find a battery compartment cover.. If there's a screw under the sticker then you'd have to ruin it to access the compartment. I didn't want to try prying it apart from the seam.. I assume they'll have to let us switch between keys by the time that starts happening if the batteries aren't replaceable. How many weeks do you figure the batteries will last in these things?

Hey so I've never had a fob key like this before.. Can you change the batteries once they die? I can't seem to find a battery compartment cover.. If there's a screw under the sticker then you'd have to ruin it to access the compartment. I didn't want to try prying it apart from the seam.. I assume they'll have to let us switch between keys by the time that starts happening if the batteries aren't replaceable. How many weeks do you figure the batteries will last in these things?

they last for years

• 1 month later...

FYI, I was looking to convert my own key from fob to handset and saw that this was answered in another thread, http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=57902&page=4 (pertinent reply pasted below).

Apparently they want to authenticate you over the phone before allowing you to de-register one and register another security key, so email is not an option.

-T

-------------------------------------

Greetings all,

To remove an authenticator from your account you would have to contact Customer Support on:

* USA: 1-855-GO-SWTOR (1-855-467-9867)

* UK, Germany, France: +800 0246 9273 (+8000 BIOWARE)

For calls originating from countries not listed above, please call the following number: +442035642555

Please note that you may be charged by your provider for making an international phone call, and charges may be based on the country from which you place the call. Customer support will be provided in English, French, and German only.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Protocol Droid N5-L1 | BioWare Customer Service – Forum Support

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My issue with this is that I don't carry my key fob with me, it is next to my computer so that it's readily available when I launch the game. Yet now I can't log in and and do anything official from work or elsewhere.

Why can't you use both a physical key and app? I got the physical key before I got my iPhone. Lets get this fixed please.