Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Server Transfers, 11 Months Later...

Icebergy

Hu?

So someone living in europe is breaking the law if they have a character in some U.S server ? I think 80 % of my guildies in TRE are criminals then ....:rolleyes:

That is the stated reason. I don't know the specific wording of the law, they can get away with Europeans rolling toons on American servers because reasons. I just know Eric said it when it people first complained.

If you think its a technical limitation then why the hell could you originally do it when transfers first happened due to a bug?

Edited by Zoom_VI

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the stated reason. I don't know the specific wording of the law, they can get away with Europeans rolling toons on American servers because reasons. I just know Eric said it when it people first complained.

If you think its a technical limitation then why the hell could you originally do it when transfers first happened due to a bug?

I don't think it's a techical reason. Musco has said it itsn't. But the real reasons remain unclear...

In the stream on Friday, they specifically said that there were "business reasons" that US <> EU transfers were not gonna happen.

Well those business reasons are making a few people stop playing and think I may unsub to, sick of logging on to a dead server and queuing for about 2 hours to play a single warzone or flashpoint.

I couldn't care how much cartel coins it cost so long as I could transfer just 2 characters 1 from rebel and 1 from imperial and keep my items and collections and housing decorations.

Completely gutted that they are not going to let people transfer from eu to us and don't see the point in carrying on my sub just to play the main story quests and other heroics quests when I can do that with no sub.

• 2 weeks later...
I got answers to two of the questions that I saw a bit about:

Can you transfer across region, like EU to NA?

As of the current plan, no. However, I want to state that this is absolutely something we want to do and as you saw with APAC it isn't a tech limitation. There are some other restrictions we are working through and we hope to have the ability to transfer across region moving forward. I will give you updates on this as I have it.

Hope that clears things up.

-eric

Eric - it's been a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time since this post - any chance you can update us?

• 2 months later...

I'm interested in this server transfer too.

The things said by staff were :

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6338612&postcount=6

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6349964&postcount=109

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6394323&postcount=141

and then last news we had about this thread were

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6409055&postcount=365

Plus, others threads have been opened beside this one:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=657431

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=757181

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=647958

So, after a year and an half since your last update concerning this thread, can we get some more news?

Oh, i did not know it was illegal to create a character on a server in another region. I happen to have a friend accross the pond, and we played together for a while. I really don't want to delete a EU toon though, I just want to bring him to a NAM server with the rest of my Legacy now we are not playing together any more. :(

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I got answers to two of the questions that I saw a bit about:

Can you transfer across server type, such as PvP to PvE?

Yes you can!

Can you transfer across region, like EU to NA?

As of the current plan, no. However, I want to state that this is absolutely something we want to do and as you saw with APAC it isn't a tech limitation. There are some other restrictions we are working through and we hope to have the ability to transfer across region moving forward. I will give you updates on this as I have it.

Hope that clears things up.

-eric

Sorry if I appear to be bumping this, but I'm in full support of cross-region transfers. I haven't heard much of this and I want some dialogue on this again. It'll almost be 2 years with no word on the go for this. You guys also have other important matters to attend to, but please don't let 2 go up to 3!

:D

It's a valid necros though...

It is.

The alternative is to start an entirely brand new thread, and the people griping about thread necromancy will instead gripe about new threads that duplicate an existing one...namely, the ones that they gripe about being resurrected. :p

Considering how much a transfer costs, BioWare stands to make a decent amount of money. I've done the HK-51 quest once, and while I don't mind the flashpoints and so forth, I absolutely despise digging around on DK (and Coruscant) for those stupid droid parts - words do not exist to describe how much I hated doing that. I will gladly fork over the cash for each cross-region transfer to the other servers I have toons on, if it means I can avoid having to dig in the dirt again.

Hey everyone,

I wanted to give an update on paid character transfers as I know it is something that everyone has been chomping at the bit for. The reason for our silence on the issue is that we are still working through some issues with the transfer tool and so we didn’t want to set an expectation on timing and not meet it. Also, it was very important to us that we informed our APAC players of our plans first, since transfers related to their current issues as well.

With that said I wanted to let you know what our current plans are. As it stands today, our goal is to launch character transfers with Game Update 2.2. Now, as I noted above, we are still working through some things so please note that this is just our goal and that it is entirely subject to change.

I will update you with more information as I get it, thanks!

-eric

Right....

I'd love to see 2 US servers:

PvE

PvP

2 of the same for each English, French, and German across the pond. So 8 servers total.

RP folks can still do their thing on either game type. :mon_trap:

No more requests for server merges. It's going to be busy.

• 1 month later...
your not getting trans atlantic sever transfers the eus legal mumbo jumbo makes it a pain in the *** this has been asked before and well it would be nice i wouldnt hold your breath.

Considering the fact that you can play on both US and EU.......any form of legal mumbo jumbo is irrelevant.

Considering the fact that you can play on both US and EU.......any form of legal mumbo jumbo is irrelevant.

The irrelevant mumbo jumbo is EU privacy law. The short version is that for a company to move any data linked to real identities they have to show proof that they are going to keep the data in the same manner and with the same protections provided in the EU. The company moving the data also has to have the government of the country the data is being moved into agree to the same confidentiality. So even if the US government would accept this deal and not snoop through the data EA/Bioware would need a separate server to host the old EU accounts since the US servers don't meet the safety requirements. This would leave the EU players on an even smaller server. I'm sure the avenue that they were pursuing was Safe Harbor but it takes years, lots of paperwork (including but not limited to release forms that would need to be filled out by the player to consent to the release of the data), buckets of money for lawyer fees and the support of the US government to make it happen. It is an expensive and fruitless venture for them to undertake.

Playing on the UK side isn't an issue because the EU considers that consent to have your data stored in the EU. The same is true for EU players that create an account on a US server since the creation happened on the US server and data wasn't moved to the US.

I hope this gives you a better idea of what they are up against and why it is a much bigger deal than just moving a toon.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know why the page in My SWTOR says,"This feature is currently unavailable."?

Sorry for my ignorance, just returned to the game after a very long break.

Edited by SWFTW

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.