The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Athiss story mode, I am on a dps powertech and my buddy is on his jug tanking. Healer wont move after we drop down without a guard, already know it is going to be one of those. First couple pulls, yep it is aoeing instead of healing. We let it die on the second pull, because it started the pull by itself. Get to the last pull before the first boss fight, the one with the silver droids and the tank goes down because the healer is dpsing. Pulled out mako and the sorc dps off healed the rest of the run. Got a new healer while we were fighting the second boss.

I understand dpsing on a healer during a run where everyone is so overgeared it doesn't matter, but to do so and let the tank die after being asked to heal ended up getting it kicked. I wasn't going to /ignore it but when the whisper tirade started about it couldn't heal healthy people I had to.

Funny athiss run right when it first opened up for us at 19. We get to the final boss without issues, we are all lowbies but everyone seemed like they had done it before so no biggie. The chasing fire got the healer, I have never seen anyone die to it before. The dps died to the bleed being applied, he started running thinking the boss was hitting him, very funny to watch. I did have to switch stances and taunt the boss of the tank at the very end, it had almost taken him out. Not a bad run for a bunch of lower levels doing it, and the healer was good at faking the funk. Had no idea it was its first time.

They med-centered, so we waited to loot till they got back of course, good times.

Edited by Reallynotaknight

You know, I’m a DPS with a little healing abilities and sometimes, when I see a tank rushing forward (which I like) and I see him HP down I stop for a bit and throw a heal or two. I know it’s a matter of perspective for everyone but if the healer in my group is still regging I’d help no matter what.

And I got one from last night.

HM PUG, and Cademimu came up, I never inspect players unless I see a recurrent behavior, but I do check at least HP’s of all players, not that it matters so much for me, but it gives me a hint of what level of progression has been done with all group members. I’m a Sage rDPS w/34k HP’s, healer was in 22k HP’s, the other DPS, a guardian was in 23 HP’s and the tank, a shadow was in 32 HP’s. All of them from the same guild but me.

Hellos and hi’s and the fights begins, I noticed the healer died a few times in previous thrashes before we got to Xander. Not a problem I have some healing abilities and I could keep the tank alive while he was out. I even rezzed him in-combat once.

Theeen comes Xander…

-The tank ask: “Hey <my in-game character name here> do you know this fight?”

-I repied: “Yes I do.”

The fight begins and when EN-4C got activated I start running behind the orange circle, the tank start running by my side and steps into the circle. Somehow we managed to survive before he was released, but now we are all less than 40% life. By then I’m already in position to the next circle and EN-4C is following me because I’m aggroing it like mad, I didn’t throw my boots because there is no ability like that, then a few milliseconds before it steps into the circle, aaand, guess what?, … exactly, tanks steals the base and steps into the circle before EN-4C. By then, the healer is dead again, I couldn’t rezz him because my in-battle rezzing ability still in CD. So we wipe. Then the tank started yelling all kinds of c*rap to me and finally asked me how in heavens name I managed to be on top of the shuttle before him. I answered with:

-“How would I know, I just did what’s common in this FP, the next floor ring was active and I ran behind it to attract EN-4C, and aren’t you supposed to be keeping Xander busy?”

Tank: -“NO, somehow you pushed me.”

No more arguments from my side, because I thought form his last comment something was wrong with this guys.

Aaaand I got votekicked…

So last night I finally got around to doing the HK-51 quests, and I queued HM Foundry to get the last piece. Queue pops and it's 3 55's, including me, and a 53 dps. I'm thinking, sweet, nice quick run, no one will take any serious damage, mobs will die before I can blink, good times! Alas, faint, false hope.

To start off, the tank doesn't actually enter the flashpoint. Do the dps care? Nope! Off we go! But I'm like, whatever, they're BH's, they have some off-heals and okay armor and they're overleveled, it'll be fine. What follows is the most work I've had to do in a level 50 HM, like, ever, including when I was running them at level 50. Neither dps stops running and pulling until I die from no one ever pulling aggro off me, after popping all my defensive cds including Cloaking Screen and healing myself like a madman, which of course just pulled more aggro. Then when the tank finally joins us, he's in High Energy cylinder, and his "rotation" consists of firing Neural Dart from max range and then Flame Sweeping(without moving, with no mobs anywhere near him) until he overheats, then running up to the mobs and Rapid Shotting them until he can do something else. The dps do a great job of aggroing the biggest thing they can find and tunneling on that until it dies, and meanwhile I have all my defensive cds on cooldown and am having to kill stuff myself to make it stop shooting me.

"You should be in Ion Cylinder." "Oh, sorry, first time tanking." "Also Flame Sweep has a really short range." "Oh, sorry." Next several pulls, tank is still in HE Cylinder, still stands next to me doing Flame Sweep, but he does finally add Death From Above occasionally. "No, really you should be in Ion Cylinder. Also, you should have an ability that lets you rocket jump toward the enemies." "Yeah, Death From Above, sorry, I'll try to use it more." "...no, not that, but do keep using that, I mean an ability that makes you jump toward an enemy." "Oh, that costs a lot of heat and I overheat too much." "... ... ...well, whatever, just switch to Ion Cylinder, will you?" "I don't have it, hang on." /headdesk (He did eventually find Ion Cylinder.)

Also, these guys insisted on pulling absolutely everything. Everything in the entire instance, even after we get enough kills for the bonus. I run up and Sleep Dart to let them skip a pack, nope! We're fightin' that! Demonstrate how to get past another pack without aggroing, nope! We're fightin' that, too! Get to the bonus boss, hey, let's aggro every k'lor'slug up here, then activate the boss while we're still fighting them! Green goo on the ground? Who cares! Wipe. "*** one shot?" Finally get to Revan, only I and one of the dps get away from him after he pulls us in, and then when he's dropping asteroids, everyone decides it's fine to just stand in the purple circle. Naturally one of the dps dies(did I mention that they seem to be wearing armor made of tissue paper?), but Revan dies immediately after that, so no big deal. I go to rez the dead guy, but see he's already at full health and figure someone else got him, so I grab my HK part and open the chest. Dead guy says, "Wait!" Apparently he went to the medcenter when he died. With the boss at 2% health. Oops. I feel a little bad about screwing the guy out of his comms, but not really, because who does that? And then he aggros something that we somehow missed on the way in, and actually manages to survive to bring it to us, we kill it, click the console, and it's finally over.

I really should have dropped the group after I died that first time, but I hate doing that.

Also, to weigh in on healing people out of combat, I don't like doing it because a) you have a rest ability, b) I'm used to groups that keep running pell-mell toward whatever they can see and not doing a good job of keeping aggro off the healer, so when combat starts and that HoT I threw on you ticks and no one has aggro on anything, guess who's getting shot half to death before anyone even notices? plus c) I want to start fights in stealth and if I take the time to heal after combat, 9 times out of 10 someone has run up and put me in combat before I can either rest or get into stealth.

I think I need to just learn to stop being so permissive and start letting people die when they do stupid things.

oh, letting people die when they do stupid things is highly satisfying. I tend to give a single warning in chat and if they continue - I let them die. its not as flexible when I'm on a sorc, but when I'm on my operative? I've been known to stealth out of wipes to make my point. again. and again.

and its not that I can't heal through a lot of the crap that people pull. its that I chose not to, once they piss me off enough.

like recent run of colicoid wargames on my sage. sentinel kept jumping ahead of the tank. no big deal some of you will say, but the thing is - you allow it to continue and they think its ok and keep doing it in flashpoints where it IS a big deal. so I warned him. you jump ahead of tank again, I'm letting you die.

he didn't listen. and pulled the last boss. so I let him die. very deliberately, while keeping the rest of the group between 90% and 100% health at all time. hopefully THAT will get through his skull.

maybe it makes me a bad person, but I find having ability to do that highly satisfying.

oh, letting people die when they do stupid things is highly satisfying. I tend to give a single warning in chat and if they continue - I let them die. its not as flexible when I'm on a sorc, but when I'm on my operative? I've been known to stealth out of wipes to make my point. again. and again.

Oh, I'm definitely guilty of this. I'll be good and warn people about potential pitfalls before they pull, but if they ignore me and do everything wrong, anyway? I'm gone. No stupidity-based repair bills!

Had a TFB SM GF pug that went really well, 1 shot all the bosses, but on phase 2 of TFB one merc just sat there pounding away at the boss, the whole fight. I had to try to kill a tentacle solo, but we all had a good time and beat the fight anyway.

Also did TC HM, the tank (guardian) kept turning the boss to face the dps for whatever reason, in addition to losing aggro on multiple occasions.....that run didn't end up so well.

You and the other 2 who responded should probably re-roll DPS... If you are a healer do your job and heal, cater to the tanks pace.

If I see someone is not at 100 I usually throw something cheap and instant on them. Outside of that I expect them to take care of themselves.

My duty as healer is to keep everyone alive during combat, not to keep all bars at 100.

If a healer heals you out of combat then lucky you. But know the difference between the healer's duty and the task you want the healer to do.

If I see someone is not at 100 I usually throw something cheap and instant on them. Outside of that I expect them to take care of themselves.

My duty as healer is to keep everyone alive during combat, not to keep all bars at 100.

If a healer heals you out of combat then lucky you. But know the difference between the healer's duty and the task you want the healer to do.

This, and very much this. On my commando (and future merc) I constantly use hammershot outside of combat (I can be a bit annoying at times) but don't expect a medical probe or advanced medical probe outside of combat just because you don't want to use your regen.

Where were you having the tank positioning the boss so the healer was able to be outside of range? Of all the times I've run it (a lot) I have yet to find a spot where the healer can actually be in range or tank and outside of range of aoe without moving.

sorry if i wasn't clear, but yes.

and either way, it's irrelevant. my strategy that i explained before starting the fight (that was ignored on the first pull) worked just fine. not a single person died or came close to dying.

i didn't start chanting 'see? i was right!' i just let it go even when the tank wouldn't.

The story of the fragile tank:

I was playing my Commando as a healer, and we got into Athiss at 55 hard mode with this Guardian tank. He had around 35k HP, and on inspection, seemed to have a pretty impressive Elite set with augs.

Then during actual fight, his HP bar starts waltzing up and down and it's all I can to make him survive. After finishing one mob, I examined his set and found everything was in dire need of repair. Who goes around with their armor durability at 75/120? So I pulled out my repair bot and told him to go ahead and fix it. He didn't. He remains a silent sphinx throughout, and on top of it went total LEEEROY on every mob that appeared. After the 5th time the whole party was defeated, I decided to call it quits.

I was playing my Commando as a healer, and we got into Athiss at 55 hard mode with this Guardian tank. He had around 35k HP, and on inspection, seemed to have a pretty impressive Elite set with augs.

Then during actual fight, his HP bar starts waltzing up and down and it's all I can to make him survive. After finishing one mob, I examined his set and found everything was in dire need of repair. Who goes around with their armor durability at 75/120? So I pulled out my repair bot and told him to go ahead and fix it. He didn't. He remains a silent sphinx throughout, and on top of it went total LEEEROY on every mob that appeared. After the 5th time the whole party was defeated, I decided to call it quits.

Does having armor at 75/120 affect it's 'performance'? In other words, does an armor have to be 120/120 to function as it's best?

I ask this because I'm used to a system in which armor get less effective once you reach 0 durability.

Does having armor at 75/120 affect it's 'performance'? In other words, does an armor have to be 120/120 to function as it's best?

I ask this because I'm used to a system in which armor get less effective once you reach 0 durability.

As far as I know it has full effectiveness until it hits 0 durability. But I don't know that I've ever seen it spelled out officially so I could be very wrong on that. I really need to find out now cause that could impact game play a lot.

sorry if i wasn't clear, but yes.

and either way, it's irrelevant. my strategy that i explained before starting the fight (that was ignored on the first pull) worked just fine. not a single person died or came close to dying.

i didn't start chanting 'see? i was right!' i just let it go even when the tank wouldn't.

So my question though is where you actually got that to work? I'm running 1-2 HMs a day and the healer/tank placement has always been tricky for us as we haven't been able to find a spot where the healer can actually be outside the 25m from the boss but still within 30 of the tank.

I don't think your issue was the durability.

I think the issue was that the tank was gearing for endurance, all the while neglecting mitigation.

believe it or not, a tank at 30k health but with good mitigation is easier to heal then tank at 35k with not as good mitigation.

I qued up for one of the new HM Czerka Flashpoints and we had a DPS Sorc in the group who only used Force Lightning throughout the entire Flashpoint. The boss fights took forever. I mean seriously. If you do not know how to do your class/spec's rotation than don't play the game.

I don't think your issue was the durability.

I think the issue was that the tank was gearing for endurance, all the while neglecting mitigation.

believe it or not, a tank at 30k health but with good mitigation is easier to heal then tank at 35k with not as good mitigation.

I dunno, my own guardian tank has a mixture of elite and basic gear - nothing as great as what this guy had - but I've fared much better in Athiss 55 HM. The other thing is..believe it or not - he did not have a shield, i.e. the slot was empty!!

I dunno, my own guardian tank has a mixture of elite and basic gear - nothing as great as what this guy had - but I've fared much better in Athiss 55 HM. The other thing is..believe it or not - he did not have a shield, i.e. the slot was empty!!

kinda what I meant.

its not the level of the gear, its the stat distribution. hell - a lot of the 66 mods (mainly enhancements) are better than elite gear, because they have mitigation rather than alacrity /gags

and the fact that he didn't have a shield? kinda brings my point home. that's 5% less shield chance and 20% less damage reduction when that shield DOES activate. its a LOT.

which is why a tank with 30k endurance can be easier to heal, by FAR than tank with 35k

Are you sure that wasn't just a UI display bug? I still get a bug sometimes where, depending on which character I'm on, other people's offhand slots are blank. (Example: I'll be on my Vanguard, and I'll go to inspect a Gunslinger. The offhand, for whatever reason, shows up saying the slot is for a Shotgun, and leaves the space blank.)

The other thing is..believe it or not - he did not have a shield, i.e. the slot was empty!!

It's a UI bug, it happens to me most of the times which I can't see other characters offhand.

In Hammer Station HM someone told me "you don't have a shield?" and i said "I do" and linked it on chat

It's a UI bug, it happens to me most of the times which I can't see other characters offhand.

In Hammer Station HM someone told me "you don't have a shield?" and i said "I do" and linked it on chat

Had a tank do the same thing on athiss when I was on my sage healing. He linked the shield in chat and told me about the bug, I had no idea.

I only inspected the tanks gear because we just had a shadow who after the first boss fight took a good option and wasn't able to equip his dark 2 required light saber. The vote to kick failed so I had to drop that group. He was really surprised that we would try to kick a tank, even one that was punching things.

Had a tank do the same thing on athiss when I was on my sage healing. He linked the shield in chat and told me about the bug, I had no idea.

I only inspected the tanks gear because we just had a shadow who after the first boss fight took a good option and wasn't able to equip his dark 2 required light saber. The vote to kick failed so I had to drop that group. He was really surprised that we would try to kick a tank, even one that was punching things.

Yeah, I had to figure out that bug the hard way, too.

And add that anecdote to the list of reasons why wearing alignment-restricted gear is a terrible idea. Never get rid of that custom weapon you get in the advanced class box.

So my question though is where you actually got that to work? I'm running 1-2 HMs a day and the healer/tank placement has always been tricky for us as we haven't been able to find a spot where the healer can actually be outside the 25m from the boss but still within 30 of the tank.

sorry, i misunderstood.

from the console that activates him, you can look to the left and see the tall columns against the wall.

there's a little alcove cut out, and it's possible to back up into that little corner as the tank. normally, you would LoS things, but your head sticks out the top.

go up the ramp to the crates that are sitting up there, and place the ranged/healers.

there will be some movement required sometimes as the boss can swing around at times, but positioned correctly, the tank is between the boss and the healer, allowing the healer to stay 30m away and out of the AOE

as operative healer i ask everybody to go in that alcove and stick to the tank and me, and i put 2 kolto probe on everybody and nanotech (aoe heal) before each jumps of the boss. none of the group goes below 75% life. (i'm in 69/72 gear pretty well optimized, so it s not so hard as for a 66 geared ofc).

sorry, i misunderstood.

from the console that activates him, you can look to the left and see the tall columns against the wall.

there's a little alcove cut out, and it's possible to back up into that little corner as the tank. normally, you would LoS things, but your head sticks out the top.

go up the ramp to the crates that are sitting up there, and place the ranged/healers.

there will be some movement required sometimes as the boss can swing around at times, but positioned correctly, the tank is between the boss and the healer, allowing the healer to stay 30m away and out of the AOE

I will be trying this next time I'm in there. Are the any body type requirements? Is a body type 1 too short to see to heal? Just kind of curious, and will be making some guildies a bit happier.