The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

I will be trying this next time I'm in there. Are the any body type requirements? Is a body type 1 too short to see to heal? Just kind of curious, and will be making some guildies a bit happier.

my shadow is body type 1 and hasn't had any complaints from healers, but i don't believe i've tried to heal a body type 1, so i don't know 100%

i would guess it makes little difference though. on a body type 2, the base of the column sticks up to the about the chest, so there's plenty of room.

Edited by oaceen

I finally found my weird person! Jump in 55 HM's today and get a 20k Sage healer. Checking out the gear it's Rakata that she got with planetary comms and her earpiece and implants are green Makeb drops and her relics are level 43. So clearly never ran any fp's enough to claim she's ready for hard mode. I ask about the gear and preparation, via whisper for privacy, and get no response.

For fun, I start running it even though I know she'll fail. It's Athiss so we do manage to clear that easy first boss. She's throwing out nonsense advise like "use saber ward" even though I'm already having to do that on trash pulls to make up for her lack of healing power. To be fair, she's doing an ok job of pressing buttons, just no power behind those heals. So on this first boss loot, we get the absolute perfect drop a Lightsaber that she literally could equip as is and have a big jump in performance. She and her fellow guildie who is with her both roll Need, even though her guildie is clearly ninja'ing as he's a knight. Ninja'ing for a piece she would have won anyway since we all were hoping she'd win anyway.

The healer wins the lightsaber and of course doesn't equip it. I ask her to and she still doesn't.

We go forward to the Beast of Vodal Kresh and I let them pick the tactics. We pull around the corner and get less than 50% through before all cooldowns are spent and nothing left I coud do.

I offered to help with stims or something, no reply. I ask if they had any new tactics we could try the 2nd time, no reply. I apologized and said my goodbye.

My reward for not dropping immediately is the following statement "people like you IS why I quit games". That statement right there told me so much about this person.

Edited by annabethchase

Saturday 10 Aug 2100 Hrs AEST. Queued up to do complete my 55 HMFP daily on my shadow tank and got a pop for Mando Raiders. Everyone accepts and we load in. Team comprises of a sage healer, a shadow DPS, a Commando DPS and myself on Shadow Tank. Right after everyone loads in, even before I finished typing "Hi Everyone, are we doing bonus boss as well?" I get a message about the healer initiating a vote kick from group. Reason - Shadow tanks are too hard to heal:eek:....thankfully the 2 DPS didn't want to kick me.

Sunday 11 Aug 0100 AEST. Queued for another HMFP, got Athiss and this time got a DPS guardian, a Gunslinger and a scoundrel healer who did the exact same thing as the sage healer (initiate vote kick right at the beginning after loading in). This time it was successful and I got kicked from the group:(. After this I swapped and decided to quest on my sniper instead.

Has something changed with the new patch? I know Shadow tanks are very spikey (i'm in augmented + optimised 66s/69s and ran SM S+V with no issues, other than healer having to babysit my shadow a bit more than my vanguard), but with 21% Def Change, 37% shield Chance and 38% Absorption rating, I'd think I'd go ok for 55 HMFPs. This is also the first time I got kicked as a tank. If Shadow tanks are no longer viable even for 55 HMFPs, then I may as well shelve my shadow tank and go DPS instead:confused:.

Has something changed with the new patch? I know Shadow tanks are very spikey (i'm in augmented + optimised 66s/69s and ran SM S+V with no issues, other than healer having to babysit my shadow a bit more than my vanguard), but with 21% Def Change, 37% shield Chance and 38% Absorption rating, I'd think I'd go ok for 55 HMFPs. This is also the first time I got kicked as a tank. If Shadow tanks are no longer viable even for 55 HMFPs, then I may as well shelve my shadow tank and go DPS instead:confused:.

I think this is a case of "Healer doesn't want to adjust his way of pressing buttons to the tank's playstyle".

When I'm on my Operative Heal and get grouped with a Sin Tank, I know I have to watch his/her health bar more closely than when I get someone in full plate. I can't just spam kolto probes, throw a few DoTs and be done with it (aka running brainAFK).

In my opinion, any tank is better than no tank.

Edited by Leiryat

I can't speak for all healers, but as an Operative/Scoundrel one I have no issues with Assassin/Shadow tanks that know what they're doing.

Any healer that claims they're 'too hard' to heal clearly needs to learn more about their class abilities and heals and/or control their energy/force/heat/ammo better. And honestly, kicking before even trying is just absurd.

That's just sad if a healer is unwilling to heal a shadow/assassin tank. I've healed on all types and true shadow/sin tanks are spiky but if you have decent DPS it isn't much of an issue. Just need to watch there health more. Any healer that says too hard to heal and needs to kick a tank if decently geared needs to learn to heal, I'm sorry. We need HM FPs back when 2.0 started in 58s/61s just requires more thought out planning before pulling. The healers describe above are spoiled.

yesterday pugged for the dailie, Mando raiders came. The tank was in 56/58 mods with less than 25K hp ... as i'm op healer in 69/72 well optimized and augmented, i give a try.

His life goes down so fast on each pulls, plus he doesn t taunt very often, so i heal myself as much as him, but as i'm not bad healer (i believe) i manage to keep him alive but advise to him to chain some 50 HM FP to gear up in 61 mods before coming in 55 HM FP and that he was lucky i were the healer cause a 66/69 geared healer couldnt keep him alive (dps agreed). answer : take out ur dick from ur hand ! ok ok ...

anyway i shut my mouth and we continue until bonus boss where he wasn t running from red circles and wasn t taunting boss, he dies, come back, dies again and we wipe.

I then initiate a votekick, take out my kaliyo and we beat bonus boss and last boss like that, with me healing and managing aggro of Kaliyo. Me and Kaliyo had compliment from both dps, he even wanted to pay her a drink :D but i said careful, she's a ***** ...

I don t understand why ppl don t listen advices and are aggressive like that ( i wasn t myself aggressive when saying him to gear up in 50 hm fp before coming in 55 hm fp).

Saturday 10 Aug 2100 Hrs AEST. Queued up to do complete my 55 HMFP daily on my shadow tank and got a pop for Mando Raiders. Everyone accepts and we load in. Team comprises of a sage healer, a shadow DPS, a Commando DPS and myself on Shadow Tank. Right after everyone loads in, even before I finished typing "Hi Everyone, are we doing bonus boss as well?" I get a message about the healer initiating a vote kick from group. Reason - Shadow tanks are too hard to heal:eek:....thankfully the 2 DPS didn't want to kick me.

Sunday 11 Aug 0100 AEST. Queued for another HMFP, got Athiss and this time got a DPS guardian, a Gunslinger and a scoundrel healer who did the exact same thing as the sage healer (initiate vote kick right at the beginning after loading in). This time it was successful and I got kicked from the group:(. After this I swapped and decided to quest on my sniper instead.

Shadows/Sins are perfectly fine for HM FPs, you're just getting bad healers that hear some talk on the forums about Shadows/Sins being less than optimal for NiM Ops, but not realizing that those complaints are largely specific to NiM Ops.

A decent Sin is as much of a cake to heal through a HM FP as a PT or Jugg. You probably saved yourself some headaches due to terrible heals by getting kicked from that run.

If anything, Sins probably require less babysitting in FPs, as the type of incoming damage there plays to their strengths.

Edited by OlosBC

I was on my 29 concealment op yesterday. Daily pop and i got mando raiders. Was like this will be a breeze. Was in group with another 25 operative, 24 healer and 26(?) tank. With 2 operatives you can skip a lot of the pulls, but no bueno they want to kill everything. Ok, thats fine. But the other operative is hanging back in cover and using only snipe and rifle shot. THATS IT. Nothing else. No darts or grenades or shivs. I held my tongue till after the 4 boarding party guys.

I was like whats the deal man? Your not using corrosive grenade so your not lethality, your not using backstabs or laceration so your not concealment. *** are you doing? WHy are you only using rifle shots and snipe? His reply was "huh? you are the first one to ever say anything about it." Then the tank was like "its a pug relax". Whatever, we get to the last boss with the turrets. So i figure i will just kill the boss while the others kill the turrets. Im overlvled and over geared, got my stimpacks etc i dont need heals. I kill the boss and they are still on the 2nd set of turrets. Tank dies. I help kill the rest of the turrets. And then hes like there is always one idiot. And the healer is ************ because i didnt help kill the turrets. yada yada

So i reply "thats what happens when you only have 1 dps. Thanks for the group." And i leave. The tank pms me and says "you are the best lvl 20 something i have ever seen. people like you are the reason i quit raiding."

Then i was put on ignore. ROFL.

I think your mistake was to jump to conclusions and attempt to do everything by yourself. I see that often. I suggest to just stick with a group. Recently I run a flashpoint where I could easily go ahead of the group by myself as I was way over geared. I still decided to wait for them and that is what playing in a group is about.

i stayed with the group and waited on pulls and all that up to the last boss. Every group ive been in on that last boss has one dd on the boss and everyone elset killing the turrets.

The healer and tank done a great job. My complaint is that they blamed ME when the other dd was spamming their free attack the entire flashpoint and failed to notice it, or thought that was acceptable.

And if no one ever complains about or points out the weak link in a group, then that weak link will continue to be just that in every group.

Just to point out, based on a walkthrou of last boss I just looked up:

"Mavrix Varad will leap to four corners of the room and trigger two Supercharged Turrets per corner. It is very important that you do not damage Mavrix when fighting the turrets as doing so can push him over and cause the turrets to deal 500% more damage. "

Because of this when I run this as a tank I insist the group takes out turrets first. Perhaps it could be done other way but I just like being nice to my healers :)

I wonder if you got the same scoundrel I ran into. All he did was use charged burst and flurry of bolts. Our whole group was telling him to use back blast and the other normal scrapper attacks even have him a rotation. The whole pretty much told him he was a weak link and advised him to on how to play his class correctly. He wouldn't have it so we just kept moving forward when he all a min.

He says to come back and get him because of mobs. We promptly told him to stealth through since he can. He of course died and said its impossible died on a 3 mob pull. Since I was healing I went back and got him but told him he could have taken the 3 mobs if he played with the advices we gave him. He pretty said even with that he couldn't kill the 3 so I showed him out of healer spec to scrapper spec I go. Killed the 3 with ease then he said I was in better gear then him which I was 3 levels lower then him and which he was wrong. Oh well you can only help thoses who want to be helped.

You can do the fight two ways.

- You kill the turrets and dps the boss only after every set of turrets, and give the tank the possibility to keep aggro on both turrets and the boss, therefore making the tanks and healers job easy.

- Or one dps can kill the boss quickly, getting 6 turrets on 3 different corners, making it quite impossible to tank them all, so they are mostly shooting at the healer, who can't heal himself and the group.

Guess which option is better :)

I wonder if you got the same scoundrel I ran into.

Perhaps he did not have a right spec. Not everyone can field re-spec and when they queue they indicate both heals and dps while they should be selecting only the option they can handle.

It happen to me last night on my lowbie sage that I got queued for the first time as dps. After first trash it became obvious I need to buy field respec, good thing I had the credits.

Edited by ELRunninW

I was on my 29 concealment op yesterday. Daily pop and i got mando raiders. Was like this will be a breeze. Was in group with another 25 operative, 24 healer and 26(?) tank. With 2 operatives you can skip a lot of the pulls, but no bueno they want to kill everything. Ok, thats fine. But the other operative is hanging back in cover and using only snipe and rifle shot. THATS IT. Nothing else. No darts or grenades or shivs. I held my tongue till after the 4 boarding party guys.

I was like whats the deal man? Your not using corrosive grenade so your not lethality, your not using backstabs or laceration so your not concealment. *** are you doing? WHy are you only using rifle shots and snipe? His reply was "huh? you are the first one to ever say anything about it." Then the tank was like "its a pug relax". Whatever, we get to the last boss with the turrets. So i figure i will just kill the boss while the others kill the turrets. Im overlvled and over geared, got my stimpacks etc i dont need heals. I kill the boss and they are still on the 2nd set of turrets. Tank dies. I help kill the rest of the turrets. And then hes like there is always one idiot. And the healer is ************ because i didnt help kill the turrets. yada yada

So i reply "thats what happens when you only have 1 dps. Thanks for the group." And i leave. The tank pms me and says "you are the best lvl 20 something i have ever seen. people like you are the reason i quit raiding."

I don't know how it is in sm but in hm if you attack the boss before killing the turrets he jumps and activates the next set of turrets-which are able to fire through walls it seems. You have the to kill the turrets first then attack the boss. If sm is anything like hm in regards to that then you screwed up big.

In storymode the turrets are not nearly as big of a deal, and you can pretty well just dps the boss through. It's a different story on hardmode, and you should focus the turrets to the point of actively avoiding AoE splash damage on the boss.

So you already knew there was a weak dps, and yet you still tunnel the boss and leave the turrets? I have had to /ignore a couple of dps that do that after we explain the mechanics of the fight. Why someone would want to turn such an easy fight into something annoying is beyond me.

One where my group is the noobs: Cademimu, get to the boss that has his droid freeze you in place. Every time we did it we just burned them down and skipped all the mechanics. Finally got my buddies to try out putting the big droid in jail, and one by one one they get themselves locked up somehow. The random dps we had with us was begging them to stop stepping in the circles, no wipes but funny as hell anyway.

In storymode the turrets are not nearly as big of a deal, and you can pretty well just dps the boss through. It's a different story on hardmode, and you should focus the turrets to the point of actively avoiding AoE splash damage on the boss.

having tried healing through 2 sets of turrets on a lowbie healer with awful regeneration and very few abilities and naturally being attacked by most of those turrets?, I'd say - KILL THE DAMN TURRETS. you can switch to the boss soon enough.

I would ignore that guy who thinks they know better and focusing boss as well.

I see an interesting pattern here, the weird people we meet are sometimes the same people that are posting in this thread :D

I guess this is because what is weird for one person may just be normal to another.

Edited by ELRunninW

I just did an SM Cademimu run that, by the standards of a lot of the stories in this thread, was nothing special, but...well.

We had a Guardian tank, a Shadow dps, a Sage healer, and me (GS). The Guardian and the Shadow were both in full blues/greens (including their mainhands), not even moddable gear. The Sage was geared fairly well.

Through the first several pulls, it became apparent that the Guardian and Shadow weren't all that good at playing their classes. The Guardian was apparently unaware that he was a tank, and tended to let the Shadow open fights. The painfully undergeared Shadow would then promptly die, whereupon all aggro would either shift to me or to the healer. Our tank never really figured out how to generate threat, and it took several repetitions of the command in chat to get him to even start pulls near the end. He consistently failed to use a guard, too, which was a fairly serious problem since his gear and level were both so awful that he rarely managed to keep aggro on anything that I was shooting at.

We had the usual low-comedy bits with mistakenly aggro'ed mobs a few times. At the part with the shortcut you can take with high Scavenging, the Guardian steadfastly refused to believe that that path was either shorter or easier than the alternative. Instead of following me inside, he went so far as to go off by himself and (accidentally?) pull that first group you find going the long way - you know, the one with two of those ridiculously high-health droids. This happened while the rest of us were not anywhere near him, so. You can imagine how that turned out.

The Shadow, mind you, was not just all about opening fights. That would be too simple. He preferred to open fights by using his eight-second CC power. Not the mind trap, or whatever the stealth CC is called, but the one that draws aggro, Force Lift. He did this despite being repeatedly admonished not to. Sometimes, he'd even CC an enemy and immediately use his knockback, undoing all that hard work. And I don't have the slightest inkling of how a Shadow's rotation works, but I'd guess that he wouldn't be doing that right, either. You know, for the few seconds he had before he'd die.

Often as not, a given trash pull would result in an early death for the Shadow, the Guardian flopping around like a beached fish, me ending up as a hybrid of tank (absorbing most of the damage despite liberal use of my aggro dump) and dps (killing all the enemies), with the Sage resigned to mostly just keeping me and herself alive. On those rare occasions when the Guardian elected to use his taunt - and since "target of target" might as well have been Swahili to him, they were very rare indeed - he'd get wiped out because of his awful gear. I had the bug where I couldn't actually view whatever he had in his offhand, but I would be shocked if he actually had a shield generator there.

But, you know, as bad as these guys were, and as much as they refused to listen to instructions (instructions delivered in what I would consider to be a fairly helpful, non-critical tone that became increasingly difficult to maintain as the flashpoint went on), the Sage and I stuck with them, because I, for one, had already waited a total of two and a half hours for SM Cademimu to pop that day and I was not going to wait any longer. And, you know, the whole two-person-show thing that the Sage and I had going was working reasonably well. We were getting through all the trash pulls and the bosses, and there was only one actual wipe in spite of how badly the other two were playing.

Still, two things really crowned the whole evening for me. The first was that only Strength and Willpower gear dropped - and since the Willpower piece was a doublesaber, our poor Sage got nothing for her trouble. (I was okay with not getting any drops, since most of them would probably be obsolete anyway.) I mean, sure, the two of them really did need the gear, but jeez, it's not like they'd actually be using it to a good purpose. And, of course, the Shadow hit Need on Strength gear (and got it), despite not even having companions that could use it. I brought this up in chat, but the Guardian was so unconcerned that I dropped the issue.

The second was the rather abrupt way they decided to handle General Ortol. As they were running over from the missile computer, I tried to give a quick overview of the fight's sole mechanic, i.e. not to stand under a live rocket. The Shadow said "k" in chat, and the Guardian didn't acknowledge it at all before starting the fight. Naturally, the Shadow immediately wandered into the very first rocket launch area and died within fifteen seconds of the fight starting. And the Guardian managed to avoid that one, but merrily continued to tank Ortol in the same place, ignoring all the warning signs, and promptly died at the next rocket launch. So it was just me and the Sage for the last 80% of the boss's health, and I was genuinely surprised we managed to pull it out first try - mostly due to some pro healing and judicious use of defensive cooldowns.

So yeah. Shout out to the heroine Sage.

Edited by Euphrosyne

And the winner of the Best telling story in the category " The weird people you meet in Group Finder " goes this week to Euphrosyne...

how you just hit the Zeitgeist is awesome. Congratulation!

you will receive 1kk credits in game.

:rak_02: ( just for fun )

Edited by SufferInTruth

So of course last night I was trying to get in my last Weekly Op run, simply wasn't able to make it happen before hand. Ran around doing a little crafting and such and some daily fun to get me through until GF popped. One of my guildies invited me to do EV HM but I hadn't done the one-time TFB mission for the Mass Manips so I was content to wait.

Amazingly the entire group was geared and a few typed instructions were enough to keep everything together. Great job by the other tank, all the heals, and the DPS. No deaths, not a single wipe on a boss. Got through Op IX and of course someone had to go, and unfortunately the other tank was in that company. No worries, everyone else is good on the fights so we'll manage with GF again. At the last moment, though, salvation: geared tank from my guild gets on and hasn't run yet for the week. Of course, this is the thread for tragedies and just before my guidmate can come in another tank queues. From here, things do not go well.

As soon as she comes in it's flippant remarks. "Duh, I've done this before" and "thanks Captain Obvious" to anyone explaining the fight. Well, we're in good hands, she knows the fight so we do it... and proceed to wipe horribly. Once we're dead, "No one said anything about me running into the blue pools," and no one did, except for me in nice, bold Ops leader text and the other Ops main who had run this time and time again with his guild. Well, we get it all straightened out, explain again when to swap aggro and where to pull and we make it through. On to the tentacles.

More Captain Obvious remarks, more I know the fight statements and of course what does she do: attacks the Terror directly and takes a lovely OHK leaving her team to be smashed into pulp by the tentacle. So now she whispers me to explain the fight to her, which I do. Doesn't get much more simple than keep the tentacle towards the boss--which I had already explained before the first wipe--ignore the first add, dodge the add wave, rinse, repeat. We've also explained the platform mechanics. What do you think the odds are that things go well from here?

So, tentacles down and pulled through the portal. The nightmare begins. She uses the platforms she was told to right? Of course not. She listens when her team tells her to switch platforms right? Of course not. She keeps the Terror targeted so she can taunt off me during the scream right? Nah, more fun for her to DPS the tentacles. How we even got through that phase I don't know, but we somehow survived only to have her team wipe later due to her platforming escapades, usually positioning to get acid in the path of her DPS crew. I'm not 100% sure a to how she managed to die every time as post-death there were usually incoherent screams of outrage about how no one explained this or that.

Honestly, I'm too kind-hearted. I know it's difficult to find people to help you through the Ops at times so I try to be patient, but this was partly my fault in the end for not booting her sooner. It was a fiasco to say the least. I wish I had the story-telling ability of the story above, but really I feel like I couldn't do the situation justice anyway; you just had to be there =p

And of course, I still have that one-time quest to complete...