The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Force Wave isn't used in proper shadow tanking rotations. And by "proper" I mean (mini)boss fights. In areas swarming with weak mobs, FW is a great tool because it does damage and knocks the mobs down for a few seconds. In KDY, where healers are scarce, this meansa few more seconds you're not taking damage. Because the mobs are on the floor, admiring the tiles.

I leveled my shadow as an infiltration dps in KDY. And FW was a great tool because I was able to neutralise several mobs, kill one while they were on the ground and kill a second one before it fired a shot (Project+Shadow Strike). in setups without a healer, this meant a lot less incoming damage and cut down on our regen times.

As a shadow tank, I only use FW when doing dailies or throwing mobs off bridges in flashpoints.

I really, really really hate people using knockbacks for damage and/or as a common ability in their rotation.

Makes it hard, often impossible to use my AoEs efficiently. Especially when i just placed my AoE-reticle and they kick all mobs just slightly out of the effect area -.-

Even regarding single-target-range-dps, other players tend to kick enemies out of my range or at least out of my LoS.

And don't get me startet on kicking targets away from melee DPS classes.

Only use your knockbacks in emergency situations, if you are close to dying or to kick enemies of a cliff (and only if you are certain that kicking them will actually kill them)

Especially in KDY, where kicking Mobs down a balcony will make them bug around below the floor/inside the walls (the level with the three turret controls) or will pull more Adds (prison scenario). I have yet to play a KDY-FP where a knockback actually made the fight more efficient.

Had a remarkably annoying KDY-Run yesterday, with my Lvl 28 AP-Pyro.

First cenario was that with the three turret-controls (where you have to disable two shield-gens left and right first). Assassin-Tank (around L30, iirc) startet every pull with Force-Wave, rendering some of my Flamethrower-Attacks useless. He even kicked two adds down the shaft at one generator, which resulted in one add clipping through the ground, becoming unable to target. I kindly asked him (three times) to stop using his knockback for damage, which he finally agreed to do. But literally 10 seconds later, the sorc-heal started kicking adds, a nicely close group of three adds (that at the end of the long hallway) at which i'd already placed my death from above. And right before the first tick, none of the adds was in range any more. I told him (now not so kindly any more) to stop it and we proceded more or less without any more incidents (that is, any incidents worth mentioning, i don't even cared for the heal to not heal us during most of all add-fights any more...)

[...] band of little tech Pigberts [...]

Heh, this:

Seriously, it made me LOL IRL. I think I've just found the name for my next alt!

E:

Onoez! They'll DUEL you! Oh my goodness gracious me, whatever shall you do??

People who think they're PvP'ers are just so perfectly adorable, aren't they.

Edited by midianlord

I really, really really hate people using knockbacks for damage and/or as a common ability in their rotation.

You might start hating FW a bit less once you realise why it's used on trash mobs in KDY since that's one of the two places where its use is warranted. Second one being soloing dailies.

Shadow Tank + FW knockdown + Nadia's AoE = almost no damage received. :rak_03:

I have yet to play a KDY-FP where a knockback actually made the fight more efficient.
Come to TRE and I'll be glad to show you. :) Edited by slafko

Makes it hard, often impossible to use my AoEs efficiently. Especially when i just placed my AoE-reticle and they kick all mobs just slightly out of the effect area -.-

Even regarding single-target-range-dps, other players tend to kick enemies out of my range or at least out of my LoS.

And don't get me startet on kicking targets away from melee DPS classes.

Only use your knockbacks in emergency situations, if you are close to dying or to kick enemies of a cliff (and only if you are certain that kicking them will actually kill them)

Especially in KDY, where kicking Mobs down a balcony will make them bug around below the floor/inside the walls (the level with the three turret controls) or will pull more Adds (prison scenario). I have yet to play a KDY-FP where a knockback actually made the fight more efficient.

Had a remarkably annoying KDY-Run yesterday, with my Lvl 28 AP-Pyro.

First cenario was that with the three turret-controls (where you have to disable two shield-gens left and right first). Assassin-Tank (around L30, iirc) startet every pull with Force-Wave, rendering some of my Flamethrower-Attacks useless. He even kicked two adds down the shaft at one generator, which resulted in one add clipping through the ground, becoming unable to target. I kindly asked him (three times) to stop using his knockback for damage, which he finally agreed to do. But literally 10 seconds later, the sorc-heal started kicking adds, a nicely close group of three adds (that at the end of the long hallway) at which i'd already placed my death from above. And right before the first tick, none of the adds was in range any more. I told him (now not so kindly any more) to stop it and we proceded more or less without any more incidents (that is, any incidents worth mentioning, i don't even cared for the heal to not heal us during most of all add-fights any more...)

As a shadow tank, I echo what the shadow DPS dude said a couple posts up - to somethings group up mobs better, off bridges (to a death), but otherwise.... nothing makes me rage more than steathing in, popping my slow time and then having NOTHING in range of my tech bomb. In KDY.... if it happens more than twice, i'll insta stealth and go off to the next pack and let them deal with stuff. And since it is KDY, it's not a big deal.

BUT, my little story for the morning, I was doing KDY late last week, level 53-54 probably. I'm tank, the other 3 are dps. They had already cleared the ground level of the hanger, so they are waiting on me. I speed up, stealth and tag the elite defender, we down them, hit the sith platform and hold all 3 no problem, us all CDs and never drop below 80% health. Moving on.

Next module is the armory. Plowing through, not really stopping to self heal outside of maybe a tick or two. I'm going along, doing my own thang and the trooper throws a heal here or there. I'm like, cool. I give him a /thank. We are maybe 50% through this second mod when he says "You know what makes for a squishy tank? One that doesn't heal between pulls." So, I said "fine, someone else can tank" and went into force tech and watched our go go go "don't worry about me, I can handle myself" chain pulling turned into a very slow grind. Mind you, the juggernaut was trying to take lead at that point, but.... very, very slow. We get to the trooper boss, after the first two grenades, I decide that I don't want to wipe on this thing, so I switch to combat tech and we finish it up.

Like, why would you talk smack about a good quick tank? I never fell below 50% health, so there was never a risk of dying. Even when they accidentally pulled extra/other stuff, I'm shadow.... snapping up agro on a new pack of adds is easy mode (and thanks, more XP for us!). I just don't get it.

Edited by ItachiZaku

Thanks to the wonderful website askmrrobot.com, I was able to determine that in a best case scenario for mitigation, full dread forged gear takes 40% less dps than poorly itemized level 50 gear even with the dread forged gear having a set bonus when normal gear does not. This endurance heavy gear ended up being 3k health above your estimates, where properly itemized level 50 gear was down to 20% less dps for dread forged than Rakata lvl 50 gear (stuff from the makeb vendor). As from this point onwards im comparing to dread forged, thats 25% more DPS. Those HM flashpoints were designed for artifact gear (level 53 stuff) which takes about 20% more dps than dread forged, though it does ~40% less dps and heals. Most people nowdays run around with dread forged quality gear.

If you cant heal a tank that is barely undergeared for a flashpoint while you are massively overgeared for it, the tank is not the problem. Especially since there were no problems until the boss, including the trash pack that ALWAYS causes problems

no the tank was the problem he was under geared i was not healing him i was one of the dps the sage was healer was doing excellent the first wipe on the boss was caused by the tank like i said we had to get the commando dps to help heal him and the sage healer and the commando dps could not keep him alive so the healer was great he/she knew what they were doing we got by the trash pack with two elites no problem because the two elites were both cc if they were not then the tank would have got quickly overwhelmed so even if a great sage healer plus a commando dps that cannot keep the tank alive it simply means that the tank lacks the gear necessary

no the tank was the problem he was under geared i was not healing him i was one of the dps the sage was healer was doing excellent the first wipe on the boss was caused by the tank like i said we had to get the commando dps to help heal him and the sage healer and the commando dps could not keep him alive so the healer was great he/she knew what they were doing we got by the trash pack with two elites no problem because the two elites were both cc if they were not then the tank would have got quickly overwhelmed so even if a great sage healer plus a commando dps that cannot keep the tank alive it simply means that the tank lacks the gear necessary

You definately need to learn what a 55 HM fp is....

Black Market is dropped in 55 HM.... Artifact (53) is the tier just before.... Dread Forged is about 4 tier higher than Artifact.... The intended group for a 55 HM IS a group in ARTIFACT (lvl 53 mod)....

Source : http://dulfy.net/2013/04/14/swtor-level-55-endgame-gearing-guide/

If you can't heal someone while being 4 tier higher than the fp and keep your tank alive no matter his gear (in logic range)... YOU are bad....

Many things bug me. Here's a cerple:

1. It kinda bugs me when you click on a datapad/console (that only requires 1 person's click) and halfway through the lil channel someone will run up and click it as well.

Ok ok, I've done this a few times, but only a handful. Sometimes it's hard to see when we're all standing around it (like the big consoles in Meltdown), or sometimes I'm in let's-hurry-and-finish-this-thing rush mode and not paying attention. However, the other day in Labs.. myself and another went into the conference room to find the security card things. Just as I spotted it and went to click it, we got pulled into combat - the other two ran ahead to fight the next mob. Fine, so I waited there spamming right click. The other person looking in the room sees it, and comes and stands right next to me. Why? I'm already here. I see it. I obviously know how it works. What reason is there to stand next to me? And once combat is over, we both click (me still spamming), and we both channel. Makes no sense.

2. On tacticals, it bugs me when I just click on a med station, then someone clicks on another right after me.

Ok, if we're somehow all at 30%, sometimes I'll click 2 for an extra boost (does it affect the speed of heals?). But usually when this happens, the lowest person is maybe 70% and I click it just to top us off. But then someone will run over and click another one, even though a) you HEAR the sound of the heals, b) in case their music drowns out that sound, you SEE the green cone and someone's name with green numbers bubbling out from your toon.

Sure, I guess it doesn't matter so much when you have more than 2 stations, but in KDY it's a pain since there are only 2. Especially fighting the Jedi.. I usually hit the med station after his big knockback, since it damages the entire group. But then, 5 seconds later, as we're all approaching 90%, someone will click the other one, leaving us medstation-less for the next big knockback. Bravo.

Edited by BigBreakfast

Anyway, I don't want to be negative and bashing or insulting confused players here. Instead, I'd just like to hear your stories about bizarre / crazy people you meet in Group Finder (or other groups) who make you go :confused: "Huh?? What?!" when you watch them playing.

I wasn't aware this thread was a "things that annoy me thread". If you would like rant about things that irritate you, I'd suggest talking at a wall or better yet, screaming into a pillow.

So lets get back to the heart of the thread, and talk about what the OP suggested, instead of complaining about how YOU didn't get to kill the adds with YOUR aoe because of knockbacks, or how THEY didn't do it YOUR way.

Negativity aside, I've really enjoyed reading this thread and I hope to see more funny stories of what you saw in group finder!

I wasn't aware this thread was a "things that annoy me thread". If you would like rant about things that irritate you, I'd suggest talking at a wall or better yet, screaming into a pillow.

So lets get back to the heart of the thread, and talk about what the OP suggested, instead of complaining about how YOU didn't get to kill the adds with YOUR aoe because of knockbacks, or how THEY didn't do it YOUR way.

Negativity aside, I've really enjoyed reading this thread and I hope to see more funny stories of what you saw in group finder!

Sorry, officer. Let me rephrase:

1. During a Labs run, I went into the conference room with another to find the security cards. The other two, however, went ahead to fight the next group, leaving me unable to click on said security card. So as I stood there spamming right click on it, some weirdo came over and stood right next to me. Left me somewhat bewildered, as I obviously saw the card and had been waiting for it before he got there. Strange.

2. I was doing KDY, fighting the Jedi boss. After group wide damage from his knockback, I clicked on a medstation to heal all of us. But then, shortly after, someone clicked on the only other medstation! We were all approaching full health from the first med station, and it was a good 5 seconds after when the person clicked the second one. So weird! I wonder what he was thinking. He must've heard the healing sound and saw the green bubbles over all the toons, but I guess he couldn't resist the glowy med station. It left us w/o heals for the next big knockback. Strange.

Edited by BigBreakfast

You definately need to learn what a 55 HM fp is....

Black Market is dropped in 55 HM.... Artifact (53) is the tier just before.... Dread Forged is about 4 tier higher than Artifact.... The intended group for a 55 HM IS a group in ARTIFACT (lvl 53 mod)....

Source : http://dulfy.net/2013/04/14/swtor-level-55-endgame-gearing-guide/

If you can't heal someone while being 4 tier higher than the fp and keep your tank alive no matter his gear (in logic range)... YOU are bad....

duh?? ik what a 55 hm is and ik what the drops are ive ran tons of them so dont tell me that im bad and if you paid attention to my previous post you would have seen that i said i was not healing i was the dps so if 2 healers cannot keep a tank alive it means the tank simply lacks the gear he did not have the recomended 148's equipped which means he was simply undergeared and btw me the healer and commando dps were all over geared for it the tank was undergeared for it so what dont you understand?? :rolleyes: so my point is people should not be running 55 hm till they at least the reccomeneded 148's equipped

Edited by cefert

SW_D_N is the OP...

duh?? ik what a 55 hm is and ik what the drops are ive ran tons of them so dont tell me that im bad and if you paid attention to my previous post you would have seen that i said i was not healing i was the dps so if 2 healers cannot keep a tank alive it means the tank simply lacks the gear he did not have the recomended 148's equipped which means he was simply undergeared and btw me the healer and commando dps were all over geared for it the tank was undergeared for it so what dont you understand?? :rolleyes: so my point is people should not be running 55 hm till they at least the reccomeneded 148's equipped

Sorry... since you said he was in 50 gear... I assumed he was in 148....

2. On tacticals, it bugs me when I just click on a med station, then someone clicks on another right after me.

Ok, if we're somehow all at 30%, sometimes I'll click 2 for an extra boost (does it affect the speed of heals?). But usually when this happens, the lowest person is maybe 70% and I click it just to top us off. But then someone will run over and click another one, even though a) you HEAR the sound of the heals, b) in case their music drowns out that sound, you SEE the green cone and someone's name with green numbers bubbling out from your toon.

Sure, I guess it doesn't matter so much when you have more than 2 stations, but in KDY it's a pain since there are only 2. Especially fighting the Jedi.. I usually hit the med station after his big knockback, since it damages the entire group. But then, 5 seconds later, as we're all approaching 90%, someone will click the other one, leaving us medstation-less for the next big knockback. Bravo.

I usually see the opposite happen, where people won't click on the stations to save their lives (even when they are right next to one). I have wondered if some players are so used to having someone else watch their health that they don't think to do it for themselves?

Sorry... since you said he was in 50 gear... I assumed he was in 148....

nah its ok mate just to make sure 148's are lvl 53 oranges not trying to sound rude here but do you understand now?? the tank lacked the recommended 148 item rating gear which was why he was so squishy and which was why me and the healer booted him do you get my point now? people should not be running 55 hm at least until they have the minimum 148's equipped

To be fair, if they are Infiltration/Deception specced, its their only AoE that is worth even thinking about using. Shadows/Assasins have 5 AoE moves ever available to them:

To be fair, deception shadow/assasin is not an AoE spec. It's a burst spec with quite a few tools to control a group(low slash, electrocute, spike and the opportunity to break away from combat entirely), that's more than enough if you take the time to learn the tricks of the trade.

Sure that's how it started, but then I originally expected this thread to last about 4 pages and then disappear into the bowels of Forum Page 56 and never be seen again. :p

I think people have evolved this to sort of be a "Group Finder Therapy" thread where they vent whatever frustrations or bizarre confusion they've encountered in queueable PvE. And I think that's OK.

We still get plenty of amusing stories out of it, and I think it helps everyone calm down and feel a little better after whatever annoying thing happens in-game. :)

Even the back-and-forth OT arguments about mechanics or terminology I tend to let slide, because honestly they're usually educational in some way and can help either confirm someone was an idiot, or explain why a "bad" group member might not have been as bad as you think and was just doing an alternative method, etc.

I say just relax, as long as we're talking about Group Finder and the people in it in some capacity it's probably close enough to the intended topic. ;)

People who use their knockbacks at wrong time are WEIRD.

- It affects greatly on killing speed.

- It's very weird to knock enemies out of someone's range (I like to stay at 25-30m with my ranged characters and I think I don't want to know how you play your sniper) = bad especially for Sharpshooter/Marksman/TK/Lightning.

Edited by Halinalle

I usually see the opposite happen, where people won't click on the stations to save their lives (even when they are right next to one). I have wondered if some players are so used to having someone else watch their health that they don't think to do it for themselves?

Not saying it doesn't happen but, that's a new one on me. I've been leveling a healer through Kuat runs and it never fails that even though I'm not falling behind in the healing someone will stop dpsing on the boss to run halfway across the room to hit a heal station. It makes no sense but I see it happen far more often than not.

An above poster mentioned that this thread has been turned into a sort of "PVE Therapy Thread" , and I can feel the need for that at the moment.

After a long waiting time for a Story Mode Boarding Party group, we get a "Flashpoint in Progress" . First thought is that such was not good news, but me and a guildie jump in with hopes of good times. Usually its either a Tank or a Healer that's missing, but this time both DPS slots needed filling.

I'll bullet point the discrepancies in this unfinished Boarding Party run:

- Tank Assassin waited too long to initiate, often leaving it to the healer or us to start the fight.

- Healer and Tank Assassin where knocking mobs down into other mobs, greatly slowing down the run

- They had cleared all the way up to the Champion trooper flanked by two droids. Guildie Sorc Force Whirlwinds one, we take on the other then the boss, very standard.

- I was a bit worried that the whole party was under half HP. I figured that the Healer was either distracted DPSing or something.

- Tank Assassin wasn't holding aggro very well. Didn't matter much since we were all pretty decently geared... or so I thought.

- We reach the Jedi + healer bosses. After another drawn out waiting time, Tank Assassin charges in. I jump in with my Jugg, and an instant later the tank just blows up.

- I figured that was some sort of freak accident since I've done Boarding Party many other times and had never seen that happen. We wipe in the panic of the tank being instagibbed.

- 2nd try, I tell my buddy to CC a healer. We derp there as I attack the same CCed healer in distraction. Tank blows up exactly the same way as the first try.

- 3rd try. My buddy successfully CCs a healer and we kill the other. Tank lasts a little longer ONLY because my buddy drew aggro first. We wipe anyway in panic and confusion.

- I finally start to inspect them. Healer is geared fine, Buddy Sorc has been taking care of his gearing and I am decently geared myself.

- We have 7000 ish HP (Healer), 8000 HP (Sorc), 9000 HP (Me, Jugg), 4500 HP (Tank)

- "You may be a little undergeared." I type.

- She replied an expected " I made it this far with what I have."

- Healer leaves.

- Sorc and I just boggle at what was going on.

- I take a closer look and the Tank Assassin is on Lightning Charge

- Sorc Guildie gets a little rude, then leaves.

- I try to think of something helpful to tell the undergeared Tank Assassin, but it proves very difficult. Remarks we take this game too seriously.

- Telling someone "You take X too seriously." doesn't really say much. I really wanted to help this player level up his/her game, but I was just way too flustered with the situation.

- Conclusion: She probably qeued up with Tank/DPS ticked for a faster que. I realized later on that this is a newbie mistake, one I made a few times then later rectified after reading about it.

- Even then, the double role qeue shouldn't be an issue on lower levels and specially if you're willing to respec / gear up for the role you're given. However I understand this is a hassle not many people are willing to go through.

In the end, another guildie took some Planet Comms and sent her some mods. Hopefully she doesn't take this as ridicule or pity or anything negative. We can all use better players and smoother runs, and all of that can be done without "taking the game too seriously" .

"What the...?" moment from KDY:

All starts fine and we say usually Hellos. We had trinity.

I was on my Vanguard tank. I don't usually Guard anyone in KDY but this time I decided to do so because why not.

I Guarded highest level melee DPS by default like I usually do. What happens next?

"[Healer] left the group"

We get high level Gunslinger as replacement and complete KDY without any problems.

So, queued up for Esseles(SM) on my new trooper. We get in, and I ask the group if we can just spacebar through it. Everyone agrees, except one who was silent. We move on and at least up to the first boss, one person wasn't skipping. Well, after we finish the conversation after the boss, somebody initiates a vote kick. Against me. Reason? "***** can't skip" were the exact words.

I was seriously completely dumbfounded. First, I'm the one who asks if we can spacebar. Second, if you were to kick anyone for that, it would logically be the person who never responded to the aforementioned question. Has anyone else ever seen that happen? I honestly didn't think people got that upset about spending the extra like 5 minutes on a FP. Granted, I hate seeing the same conversations hundreds of times over, but if somebody doesn't skip, I'm not going to vote-kick some random person.

So, queued up for Esseles(SM) on my new trooper. We get in, and I ask the group if we can just spacebar through it. Everyone agrees, except one who was silent. We move on and at least up to the first boss, one person wasn't skipping. Well, after we finish the conversation after the boss, somebody initiates a vote kick. Against me. Reason? "***** can't skip" were the exact words.

I was seriously completely dumbfounded. First, I'm the one who asks if we can spacebar. Second, if you were to kick anyone for that, it would logically be the person who never responded to the aforementioned question. Has anyone else ever seen that happen? I honestly didn't think people got that upset about spending the extra like 5 minutes on a FP. Granted, I hate seeing the same conversations hundreds of times over, but if somebody doesn't skip, I'm not going to vote-kick some random person.

I don't understand it either. I do skip cutscenes if I've seen them already too many times. I don't get angry if someone wants to watch them (gives me time to do something else). If there's someone in the group that hasn't seen the story in some of the FPs like The Foundry then I usually don't skip because the story is so good.

Edited by Halinalle

nah its ok mate just to make sure 148's are lvl 53 oranges not trying to sound rude here but do you understand now?? the tank lacked the recommended 148 item rating gear which was why he was so squishy and which was why me and the healer booted him do you get my point now? people should not be running 55 hm at least until they have the minimum 148's equipped

Isn't 153 lvl 53 mod and 148 lvl 50?? New rating is *********** my head bad

Taral V SM. I'm on my 32 Commando and there to do DPS. In the group are a 33 Shadow tank, a 31 Sage healer and a 37 Commando (also DPS).

We say our hellos and proceed to avoid the first few groups of trash, as is normal for Taral V. When we do start pulling trash, the Commando jumps in first. Every time. Commando is also tunneling elites instead of using AoE to burn down the crowds of weak mobs.

We get to the first boss (the one with 2 pets) and the Commando proceeds to pull (again) and starts trying to tank. We wipe. On our way back, I suggest that the Commando allow the Shadow to tank, which might improve our chances of success. The Commando insists that he makes a better tank than the Shadow. I do a double-take to make sure I read that correctly, yup. He backs his assertion up by stating that he's in Heavy armor and has more HP than the tank (the first statement is true, obviously, but the 2nd isn't at all, oddly). Me and the Sage gently try to explain to the Commando that no, the tank will tank better than he will, and could he please just focus on DPSing, preferably the weak mobs first? The Commando's response is that we need him because this FP can't be completed without 2 level 38s (where the heck did this guy get this idea from?), and he's going to be tanking. At this point, the Sage and I throw up our hands and give up.

A votekick is initiated and passes quickly. Shadow tank thanks me for backing him (her?) up. We continue to kill trash mobs (the boss we wiped on is skippable, so we skip him) on our way to the 2nd boss (the guy with the huge pet whom you must kill first). On our way, both the tank and I keep getting whispers from Mr. Commando, who is sarcastically wishing us good luck on completing this FP without him, as it will need 2 level 38s to complete. I explain to him why he was wrong about being a better tank AND why he's wrong about Taral V SM needing two level 38s, but he keeps arguing (he made it a point of telling me "I do know how to play, y'know.") so eventually I put him on ignore.

I am more than happy to teach newbies if they're willing to learn, but not if they are stubbornly ignorant. Where did this guy get the idea that a level 32 FP (what level is Taral V anyway? isn't it 32?) requires two level 38s? Didn't he notice that we only had one level 37 (him), and no one else higher than 33? Where did this guy get the idea that he could tank? My money's on KDY.

To wrap this up, a Gunslinger DPS showed up just as we got to the 2nd boss and the rest of the FP proceeded smoothly. The highest level in the group was 34, btw (Gunslinger), and we finished the final boss without anyone even dropping below 50% health.