The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

RUDE Player community

Morganha

Well I've been back a week or so now after a long break and can only say that this hasn't been my experience on the server I'm on. Lower level planets seem very chatty, but not in a bad way. Mostly quite fun conversations, I've only seen one full-on argument being conducted in General Chat and I found it more amusing than anything. Higher level planets don't seem to have any General Chat at all past "LFG", even when the planet concerned is quite full.

To me the chat really doesn't seem all that different as a F2P game than it did when it was sub only. Can't say I've noticed any real decline yet. I was on Tattooine last night and people were asking gameplay questions (about the balloons etc.) and getting straight answers from the crowd. There was quite a convivial atmosphere.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eliticists are very quick in doing rude responses, simply because they cannot stand a Newbie asking questions that everyone could find out with some thinking and reading.

I also found out that a LOT of Newbies never knew where the Kodex actually is - they simply don't find it. The tab is very cleverly hidden, from the perspective of an Newbie.

What I miss, though, is the will to try things out, to find things out on one's own, to try things out right away.

There's been too much hinderance in that during the last decade, and it shows. People are so much used to quest markers nowadays that they would get totally lost if they played an RPG like Gothic.

"Unplayable", the verdict Ultima VII got last year by a bunch of younger players. (Was in the RPG press.)

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Well. I'm generaly nice guy, but what can be done when 5 people a day ask 'what is best dps?' on fleet?

'for pvp? go mercenary, you will own it'..

or 'what crew skills for sniper?' -snping ofc.

'I have played many MMO games before, but so far, this community is by far the most

disrespectful. '

doubt it. this community is actualy very understanding. probably due to range of age and the fact it's star wars (so including people who would not MMO, but do, cause it's SW). waiting for WZ pop me and many others frequently answear questions like 'which crew skills for artifice', or 'what time dailes/weeklies reset', 'jugg or mara for dps?'.

only few stupid questions get rude responses. if some one is always evil, maybe they role play jack ***.

Eliticists are very quick in doing rude responses, simply because they cannot stand a Newbie asking questions that everyone could find out with some thinking and reading.

Not only elitists are quick with responses to people who don't lift a finger to figure something out.

When someone asks stuff like: where do I find x?

My response often is: search it on your map.

This is not a rude response, even if some see it that way.

If someone never has to find something himself, he will not be able to do it and he always has to ask such questions

(A whole other story are questions about what ac is better? they are simply not accepted by a lot of people, because there's no real answer to them)

I also found out that a LOT of Newbies never knew where the Kodex actually is - they simply don't find it. The tab is very cleverly hidden, from the perspective of an Newbie.

And newbies often think: Why should I bother reading the tooltips, that pops up on my screen.

None of this justifies rudeness. If you don't like answering newbie questions in general chat, then don't: Just ignore them. Responding to every single idiotic thing that is said is not mandatory. If people asking dumb questions in the corner of your screen annoys you to the point that you have to stop what you are doing just to type insults at them, then I think you are the one with the problem.

Also, I don't really understand the taboo about asking in the first place. Finding out info by googling is perfectly acceptable, but finding out info by asking people is not for some reason? It seems a pretty arbitrary distinction to me. Aren't MMOs supposed to be a social experience? Really don't see the harm, or why it ruffles so many feathers.

I Must Stand up for the Forum Community that, has helped me more than any forum game site, And I been in many over the years, which are MUCH MUCH worse Than anything here.

In fact made two friends in- world through my questions on my Thread "Points of Concern", Joining this friend who is much more experienced than me, he explained in the game that My skill tree was completely wrong, we spent over 40 mins resetting all points and then putting them into the middle tree, which is what is supposed to be for a Trooper vanguard.

Aside from that, In the general chat, There's always the oddball 's who thinks he knows all, and the rest are as dumb as F-------

In Tatooine, people do get frustrated and sometimes vent there rage, at camping PVP Sith players, This sometimes leads To a competition of players saying "Live with it" or others moaning They can't finish there Missions, which I have had happen to me.

I do find, as one Poster said, Once you progress to a higher level, and been about a bit, most people I meet seem to be ok. The only rude people I have found, is in 1-2 member groups, who think they can boss you around then chuck you out if they think your not up to there scratch, hence I only Join the friends I already have in a closed group session, sometimes we let another in,But depends on there attitude.

Ignore the trolls and no it all's and enjoy the game, swear words are Auto censored, so, really no real harm done, Just dont let the few nasties get to you:cool:

Your own attitude is showing just by the words you use. Someone else is a "douchebag"? That's just calling names. This forum is for New Player Help. Here you either ask for help or give it. What help are you asking for here, other than you want people to agree with you? You are being antagonistic yourself. Nothing you say here will suddenly make the player community not rude. I'm suggesting that you receiove rude comments because you make them yourself, such as you have done here.

^ This.

The OP hasn't even posted again. Just report him for trolling. :rolleyes:

None of this justifies rudeness. If you don't like answering newbie questions in general chat, then don't: Just ignore them. Responding to every single idiotic thing that is said is not mandatory. If people asking dumb questions in the corner of your screen annoys you to the point that you have to stop what you are doing just to type insults at them, then I think you are the one with the problem.

Also, I don't really understand the taboo about asking in the first place. Finding out info by googling is perfectly acceptable, but finding out info by asking people is not for some reason? It seems a pretty arbitrary distinction to me. Aren't MMOs supposed to be a social experience? Really don't see the harm, or why it ruffles so many feathers.

In my experience it wasn't questions being asked that were the problem. However I did ask one question on how to re-spawn your companion as I got tired of Alt - tabbing out of game to find answers. I got a lot of smart *** answers (one or two were actually funny and in good humor). BUT someone did message me (whisper?) and very politely answered.

Here a few of the 'graphic' things I mentioned:

On Saturday late morning/noonish there were a few people that were talking about how someone would use his *tool* on someone's recently departed sister, how wonderful it is to slowly torture animals, Ra-ping (the other spelling gets Censored here) little girls when they are sleeping, how American soldiers over seas are just murderers, and a myriad of other wonderful things.

Not at all family friendly and not at all something I like to see while I am trying to read general chat and get away from the real world. The veteran players kept saying they are reporting these people but like I said it went on and on until I left the game. So apparently reporting people on a week-end does no good. Very sad.

I would definitely not recommend this game to anyone with children, even if the child doesn't play, I kept thinking what if I had a child who was watching/reading this filth from over my shoulder?

Edited by wolveen

In my experience it wasn't questions being asked that were the problem. However I did ask one question on how to re-spawn your companion as I got tired of Alt - tabbing out of game to find answers. I got a lot of smart *** answers (one or two were actually funny and in good humor). BUT someone did message me (whisper?) and very politely answered.

Here a few of the 'graphic' things I mentioned:

On Saturday late morning/noonish there were a few people that were talking about how someone would use his *tool* on someone's recently departed sister, how wonderful it is to slowly torture animals, Ra-ping (the other spelling gets Censored here) little girls when they are sleeping, how American soldiers over seas are just murderers, and a myriad of other wonderful things.

Not at all family friendly and not at all something I like to see while I am trying to read general chat and get away from the real world. The veteran players kept saying they are reporting these people but like I said it went on and on until I left the game. So apparently reporting people on a week-end does no good. Very sad.

I would definitely not recommend this game to anyone with children, even if the child doesn't play, I kept thinking what if I had a child who was watching/reading this filth from over my shoulder?

Report them for the behaviour and put them on ignore.

If it gets too much make a chat tab where you don't have the general chat.

These people Don't deserve to be even in Star-Wars, If they have to resort to this kind of low life Chat. Getting people banned from games is very hard sometimes.

Take Second life I was in for 5 years:

name calling, **** phobic nasty comments, harrassments, Threats, and griefing lands with particle poofers and other illegal Software is predominant , as is Slagging of the creators of well made stuff, Just because some other maker think's there's is better product.

Submitting AR tickets to Linden labs, is a total waste of time, In the years I played in the combat zones, maybe a handful have been banned, BUT, wait !!, You can go make an other Avatar on another account and do it all over again:eek: As A former Mentor, Admin, Officer in quite a few games, or ones with seperate group Servers, as in battlefieldP4F, There is no easy answer, other, to get on with your mission, Sure, even at a lowly lvl 33 trooper I am, I normally try and give a question an answer, because not many take the trouble. BUT in general, only silly questions, or unrelated questions go completely unanswered. Of Quite a few newbies I have given guidance to on Ord Mantell, Most have said a quick thanks.

In "Dark orbit" space game there is an automatic Kick censor Software installed, but I challenged it to the Devs, because I was getting 24 hour bans, just because part of my words just happened to be near a swear word. There reply was, we have children playing this, we have to put a blanket ban on text that is anything like abuse or sexual. So in the end, I left it too the children to play, cos as an adult, whos paying money for items in that game, I want to be treated as an adult, not as a disobedient adolescent Kid that should know better .

There lies the complexity's of moderating games & forums in my opinion.

Why do you think it's all us having a lil fun before a real answer gets out are the problem here. When on starting planets and you see "What level do I get a lightsaber at?" at least once a minute, or on second planet "What level so I get my ship?"at same frequency. In my humble opinion if your that oblivios to what's being said you deserve to be poked at a lil. Afterwards though I will give you a straight answer. My biggest problem is these people want to know the ending before watching the movie. Play a lil and enjoy, it'll all make sense. As far as mechanics questions always a straight answer. How to get advanced class, straight answer, I think BW did a poor job of this and mission should say go talk to so and so on fleet not take transport to (insert planet name here). Plus once again I repeat forums are great source of information. Maybe we wouldn't see all the silly questions if people would use them?

Not everyone will be perfect angels all the time. But SWTOR's had the best community I've ever seen in an MMO.

SWG was elitists.... SWTOR is decent folks.

I want to know what servers you have been/are on. I'm feeling the opposite effect. :D

I've read many opinions about the SWTOR community and not everyone is having the same experience. While it seems that more people dislike the community than enjoy it from what I see posted, but they could just be the more vocal party. However, complaining how terrible the community may or may not be isn't going to solve anything. Just take it upon yourself to be twice as and doubly helpful to try and prevent others from having a bad experience. That may sound like a fool's errand, but it's the little things that matter.

Edited by AngelFluttershy

This is a typical impatient ,bad mannered example of how not to treat fellow Group mates.

This old guy dressed Like Gandalf, spy's me outside a building in tatooine, ready to do a mission "lost sister " something.

Ok, looks like a formidable host of gangs along the corridors before I get too imprisoned Girl, so, like an idiot joined him.

But this guy wasn't interested in the story, or, even the credits, because some fallen enemy's were giving 200+ credits or more. All he wanted to do was, go in, with all guns blazing , instead of working on a strategy .

Every time I stopped to pick up credits, which is what I need right now, he Just left every enemy defeated Blue or green, not bothering to pick anything up.

Soon, he started moaning and using colorful language, and nearly Quit it, and tell him to go do it yourself then:mad:

But I swallowed all this and came to end mission, I was involved in the ending hologram, I said the right things, getting group points, as soon as it was over, Blink, he was gone, me kicked out now, and Not one word of thanks or "kiss my azz!

This is deff my last time I join another' s group mission.:mad:

I have proved to myself, that my aims, my way's I want to play SWTOR is not in anyway like this guys attitude, in fact I almost feel sorry for him, that hes just a nerd without a brain, and doesn't have any understanding or want to engage even some RP elements of SWTOR. fancy passing up almost 1800 credits from 30 or more fallen enemies. What the Fxxxxx is his problem?

There's good and bad out there, tis true.

I'll go out of my way to help people asking questions, usually in whisps so we can have a proper conversation. I've done other things too - like send 60,000 credits to the imp who helped my alt find the HK part (he was quite low lvl and said he was short of credits, so I ran BH Daily on my main and donated the cash).

I've crafted gear and sent it to random lowbies because I looked them over and noticed they were in greens. I even gave away free stuff I'd made to celebrate Life Day. .

I'll also sometimes quest with people when I don't need to if they ask for help - because this is an MMO and doing stuff with other players is, you know, fun.

But, on the other hand, I know for a fact that I'm on a few ignore lists because I rage like a mofo in WZ, occasionally continuing to lambast people I think let the team down once its closed. It's a bad habit, but there you are.

So, good and bad.

"Unplayable", the verdict Ultima VII got last year by a bunch of younger players. (Was in the RPG press.)

No offence but I found Ultima VII and Pagan unplayable too when I was a kid.

People in this game are incredibly vile and rude.

I get violently pissed off because people are just snobby and wicked.

Finding help is ridiculously difficult and when people actually choose to respond, they

are complete douchebags about it. Their responses are insulting and just flat out evil.

I have played many MMO games before, but so far, this community is by far the most

disrespectful.

I can't see any questions asked from what you have said. Are you on New Player Help just to tell us people are rude? ...

Anyway, you are calling people 'douchebags'. That's rude isn't it? You are probably the one causing these arguments. Also, i think you are exaggerating a bit there. Not every comment made in 'wicked' or 'flat out evil'. Most comments aren't insulting or rude.

Finding help is ridiculously difficult and when people actually choose to respond, they

are complete douchebags about it. Their responses are insulting and just flat out evil.

I have played many MMO games before, but so far, this community is by far the most

disrespectful.

People have nothing to do while waiting for hours to get a PvE/PvP pop, so they find other ways to entertain themselves. :rak_01:

i dont use gen chat unless actually need help bad. but i often glance t it. i have seen alot of rude people. but i also seen the same amount of helpful people. but ones that bug the heck out me and i admit a few times on accident mainly cause i didnt the other player. people that steal lockboxes why your fighting the mob near them. i seen it more and more.

disrespectful.

^Obviously never played WOW.

When I first started playing, I was on shadowlands, and it was a little bit "noob unfriendly" but not near as bad as most other games I've played. I trashed my toons and started over on ebon hawk about a month ago and I gotta say, those guys actually had me crying, I was laughing so hard. General chat is awesome on the ebon hawk. They're also very noob friendly except when someone keeps spamming requests. Example:

Last night a lvl 13 juggernaut on dromund kaas kept begging over and over and over for someone to help him with his class mission. Everybody just kept telling him that he needed to level up first. I was a lvl 12 jugg at the time and I whispered him and asked him where he needed help. He said the boss of the mission was a lvl 16 elite. I told him that he needed to pick up some side missions, as you can't survive for very long ONLY doing class. His response? "Side missions? Pffft boring" I promptly blocked him. Why help someone who won't help themselves? I was trying to tea h the guy to fish, not just catch him a fish ya know? That's how people helped me as a noob and I was very greatful.

I have to agree with the OP.

Actually it amazes me the rude things you can see in chat. Not just in beginning areas.

Try some Warzones. People are just beyond anything I have ever seen in other MMO's. If you behaved like this IRL you would permanently wear a shiner! :eek:

You see whole guilds with almost a collective a-hole attitude. I remember a time when most people actually gave a toss about the reputation of their guilds and their toons. Guilds used to enforced some code of conduct. Netiquette is slowly disappearing from MMO's.

But I guess you just have to shrug and ignore them in the end. There are still a lot of nice people out there.

Find a friendly guild, and ignore all the trolls.

Agree with you 100%!

I guess to some people it is an easy pray jumping all over a newbie so you can boost your dwarfed ego.

What really annoys me about people asking for help on class quests follows:

For example someone will be on a Level 16 class quest mission and they will be only like level 8-12 and they wonder why they cant kill the last boss on a planet but when people tell them to rank up they reply by saying they cant because they have either done all the quests which is a obvious lie or they say it takes too long.

I don't mind helping people with heroics but its when they moan about class quest bosses that are 5-6 levels higher that the player asking for help.

Tbh i was quite lucky in my opinion i got into a good guild straight away and got it up too 100+ members then became in charge of it and we have helping people but yeh try not to ask level 50 + people because 8/10 they will refuse except me most of the time.

disrespectful.

Not everyone is like that, you're just running into the handful of trolls who have nothing better to do than troll gen chat. Usually because they are bored or they have zero to little social life and since being a d i c k at their job will get them fired and being a d i c k in real life will get you a broken nose it's no surprise these types of people vent their frustration for their own self situation in gen chat on honest unsuspecting question askers.

Again, not all are like that. EXAMPLE, you're on a planet, you see that planet has over 100people currently adventuring. You ask a simple question that requires a simple answer. Responses from about 3-4 people are usually the "your mom" variety. One or Two will honestly answer you only to be trolled by the same 3-4 trolls who were giving you a hard time for asking the question in the first place.

REMEMBER: There are 2 types of trolls.

1: Genuine @sshats

2: The guys who think they're smarter than EVERYONE and require pics or it didn't happen.

RESTATED: Not all gamers who play SWTOR are the above 2 examples, again remember out of 100 people only 3 or 4 trolled you, 1 or 2 answered correctly and politely. Which leaves 90+ people who didn't see/respond/know/care to answer. You can't assume those who remain silent are jerks as well. Chances are they are not jerks.

Take the trolls with a grain of salt, easiest way to kill a troll is don't feed him and let boredom starve him to death, he's not doing the community or the game any favors let them rot and die and move onto another game. Meanwhile, don't ignore the people who do help and don't go NAZI on the ones who remain silent.

You hate trolls is the point of this post. Who doesn't hate trolls other than their mommy's daddy's and their troll tribe of troubled individuals.