Subscription: Advertisement vs Truth

MisterMuse

You know it does affect your ability to get other loans for things like a new car if you have a mortgage for more than the house is worth?

Only if the bank can take the house from you and sell it if you don't pay back the loan. But the basis of the example is that the house will not(can not) ever be sold. Under those conditions, you cannot use the house as security(as that would be just another way of 'selling it').

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not seen this anywhere, where is this information coming from? I have been unable to find any details from Bioware with regards to the cost. I have only seen this on Fan Sites.

Dulfy interview.

600 CC for the Cathar.

800 CC for re-customization, but it's slider based. So ''you can change your eye-color and just be charged for that.''

I fail to see the issue there.. You could once by bank tabs with credits.. Now you can buy them with CC.. What is the difference??

There are a ton of things that you could once buy with credits that you can now buy with CC.. So they want to put the Cathar on the CM.. So what?? What difference does it make?? It isn't false advertisement...

You need to explain why a subscriber is entitled to a species for free, when we never were able to get one for free before.. You either had to buy the unlock or level to 50.. In either case it wasn't free..

The point is we subscribers always had the option to level a species to 50 to unlock it for other classes.

We do not have that option with Cathar. There is nothing to level to 50 to unlock it. You MUST buy it if you want to play it.

Edited by DarthTHC

I've not seen this anywhere, where is this information coming from? I have been unable to find any details from Bioware with regards to the cost. I have only seen this on Fan Sites.

Fan sites = Fact -- at least if you follow Dulfy.

Dulfy has been a pillar of the community, and is purposely given information FROM Bioware to trickle down to us in the community.

As far as 500 vs 600 -- I get 600/mo for my Cartel Coin allowance. I'd recommend getting a security key, if you don't.

This thread is still going?? Why??

For pete sakes.. The Cathar species is not content.. It is vanity stuff.. To unlock the other species either cost a ton of credits or a ton of time to level a character to 50..

I just don't see what the issue is??

600cc?? Use your monthly grant.. No big deal.. You all sound like the world is coming to an end.. :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly....

The point is we subscribers always had the option to level a species to 50 to unlock it for other classes.

We do not have that option with Cathar. There is nothing to level to 50 to unlock it. You MUST buy it if you want to play it.

Yup. Nice signature by the way, very true.

My thoughts exactly....

Because paying for something with out of game currency which should be available via in game currency is wrong. And it sets a bad precedence for future updates. Also his shows BW have broken their promise before f2p that cathar and other content updates would be free.

Edited by LanceCorporalDan

Because paying for something with out of game currency which should be available via in game currency is wrong. And it sets a bad precedence for future updates. Also his shows BW have broken their promise before f2p that cathar and other content updates would be free.

Things change. How would you like to not have anything new in the game? Really because it is cartel market sales that provide all the extra money needed to get new content for this game. Subscriptions do not pay the cost of this game. They pay for the servers, maintenance, etc. I can almost guarantee that extra content is coming out of cartel market sales and if they didn't get CM sales, there would be no new content.

with any luck these options will still be free to Subscribers, with the Taylor/hairdresser/whatever it's called costing ingame credits like every other MMO out there... really charging Cartel Coins to change my haircolor is dumb...i know it seems they wanna ape WoW a lot but maybe they should look at Star Trek for ideas, i mean even George Lucas told Eugene Rodenbery Jr. that Star Trek was one of his influences for Star Wars, so no shame looking there for inspiration...

I just wish who ever influenced George Lucas to create JarJar Binks never existed... I am thinking it was "Barney" perhaps, not sure. :p

Edited by Themanthatisi

Hopefully we can get some dev response in here, since all we can do as players is voice our concern.

Hopefully we can get some dev response in here, since all we can do as players is voice our concern.

Considering we don't even have all the details about 2.1 yet, I wouldn't hold my breath.

This entire thread is rather pre-emptive. How many people would have no issue if the Cathar unlock is tradeable and sellable?

Or, if they DO intend to allow subs to buy it with credits? Or, maybe allow only CE or Founders to buy with credits.

We have no idea yet. We can guess -- But I think we should hold the screaming until we KNOW whats going on.

What if subscribers were given some Cartel Coins every month for free? Then, subscribers wouldn't need to pay extra for anything! :eek:

I only get the ones I pay for as part of my sub. If you know a way to get some for free, or to sub for $0, clue me in, man.

Well, there are the 100 for the sec key.

Because paying for something with out of game currency which should be available via in game currency is wrong.

"Wrong" is a dude dating his sister.

And it sets a bad precedence for future updates. Also his shows BW have broken their promise before f2p that cathar and other content updates would be free.

Got link?

This thread is still going?? Why??

For pete sakes.. The Cathar species is not content.. It is vanity stuff.. To unlock the other species either cost a ton of credits or a ton of time to level a character to 50.

I just don't see what the issue is??

600cc?? Use your monthly grant.. No big deal.. You all sound like the world is coming to an end.. :rolleyes:

If it's in the game, it's content. To me, PvP, FPs and Ops are "fluff" because I don't do them. But other than that, agreed.

Is there some new trend amongst young folk to use two punctuation marks at the end of sentences nowadays??

Edited by branmakmuffin

I only get the ones I pay for as part of my sub. If you know a way to get some for free, or to sub for $0, clue me in, man.

Well, there are the 100 for the sec key.

Semantics.

You HAVE to pay $15/mo to subscribe. Whether or not you want the coins, subscription price is the same as it always has been.

View it however you want -- but you can't avoid "paying" for those CCs if you view it that way -- so why not spend them on the unlock (if you want it, obviously). No *extra* money being spent.

Semantics.

You HAVE to pay $15/mo to subscribe. Whether or not you want the coins, subscription price is the same as it always has been.

The CC are an incentive to subscribe, like frequent flier miles are an incentive to keep flying on the same airline. If they were free, BWEA would just give them to me for nothing. So yes, there are some semantics involved here, e.g., the meaning of the word "free."

View it however you want -- but you can't avoid "paying" for those CCs if you view it that way -- so why not spend them on the unlock (if you want it, obviously). No *extra* money being spent.

I certainly can avoid paying for those CCs. I can not subscribe. But yes, if I wanted the play a Cathar or get my character a haircut or change its armor color, I could and would spend those CC on that.

I certainly can avoid paying for those CCs. I can not subscribe. But yes, if I wanted the play a Cathar or get my character a haircut or change its armor color, I could and would spend those CC on that.

I meant, you cannot avoid paying if you subscribe. Hence why I view them as a "bonus" to my subscription -- not like I'm actually paying to have them.

I view frequent flier miles as free -- and resulting rewards as "free." Technically they aren't -- I wasn't just handed them for no reason. Semantics may not be the right term to use -- but "free" is completely subjective in these two situations.

Unless you're purchasing a sub solely for the CCs, or are booking flights and/or spending money solely to get Frequent Flier Miles -- you probably view them as an added bonus. Which I personally can consider free if I'm getting them for doing something I would've done anyway.

No it isn't.. A flashpoint is actual content.. A species is not.. Sorry.. But that post is full of it.. :rolleyes:

You need to come to terms with something.. The Cathar species skin is cosmetic.. That is it.. Just cosmetic.. It is in no way a comparison to a flash point.. Wow.. I can't believe you said that..

Tier gear is not cosmetic... The gear that is sold on the CM is cosmetic.. Again.. What were you thinking when you typed that??

Character skins are cosmetic.. Other than looks, they serve no purpose in the game.. They are not content.. That would be like saying our mounts is content.. Or the little pets that follow us around.. Is that content too??

Content is anything we do as an activity.. Dailies, Ops, FP, leveling, and so forth and so forth..

The Cathar species belongs in the CM because it is cosmetic.. It just makes your character look like a Cathar.. That is all it does.. :rolleyes:

I completely agree with this...and when 2.1 is released, I expect REAL content in it, not just this worthless CM update.

I completely agree with this...and when 2.1 is released, I expect REAL content in it, not just this worthless CM update.

Careful what you wish for.

They could just toss the Gree Event back in and call it content.

both their F2P vs Sub page and their video review stated that subscribers have full access to all features. That is obviously no longer the case.

As of this moment, this is true. They have not lied. Let's see what it says after Cathar release.

(Though, to be fair, I agree that by giving you free CC, they are giving you free access to Cathar)

Thankfully, the Dev don't listen to whiny complaints like this one.

It's childishly silly to throw your own definition of 'content' out there and expect to be taken seriously. Oh, and 'expectation' you have for 2.1 is likely to result in yet more whiny forum complaints since the name of 2.1 is CUSTOMIZATION and not "Tux's Real Content Patch That Doesn't Have CM Stuff In It."

Tell me, what will you do when 2.1 gets here and there's nothing in it that qualifies in 'your' mind as 'real content'?

Will you quit? Or just make more Forum posts?

• Dev Post

I believe the issue that you wanted to have addressed is that currently it states "Full access to all character creation choices." As of this moment this terminology is still correct as subscribers do have full access to those choices. We will be updating that page (along with any others that make similar references) once Game Update 2.1 goes live.

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

I'm not complaining. From my previous MMO experience new races came with expansions, but those expansions were more expensive. Now, I can avoid paying for something I never plan to using... it's fantastic! And even if I did want to, it would take 1 1/5 months of free cartel coins for me to unlock it. So, in the end, it's still free for me, as a subscriber.

Really, I really feel like people who are complaining are just complaining for the sake of complaining. They ignore that they can use their free CC coins to unlock something or that the expansion didn't include it and up the cost.

The argument can be brought down to semantics of "Oh, now I'm forced to use my free coins for content update..." or "this wans't a real expansion", blah, blah, blah. Really, sometimes you're fighting so hard to look right, that instead you just look ridiculous.

I believe the issue that you wanted to have addressed is that currently it states "Full access to all character creation choices." As of this moment this terminology is still correct as subscribers do have full access to those choices. We will be updating that page (along with any others that make similar references) once Game Update 2.1 goes live.

-eric

I'm happy because I would rather you guys charge for this stuff over actual content. However, I dont think people are concerned with whether or not you change the wording. i think they're concerned that when F2P launched, subscriptions had certain clearly stated benefits over F2P, but now you're going back on your word and no longer providing one of these benefits. Instead of subscribers getting ALL character customization options included in our sub, we now only get MORE. To some, this makes it feel like subscriptions are losing their value.

Edited by Tommot

Thankfully, the Dev don't listen to whiny complaints like this one.

It's childishly silly to throw your own definition of 'content' out there and expect to be taken seriously. Oh, and 'expectation' you have for 2.1 is likely to result in yet more whiny forum complaints since the name of 2.1 is CUSTOMIZATION and not "Tux's Real Content Patch That Doesn't Have CM Stuff In It."

Tell me, what will you do when 2.1 gets here and there's nothing in it that qualifies in 'your' mind as 'real content'?

Will you quit? Or just make more Forum posts?

Whoa...bitter today Infernixx? Getting a bit hostile there huh?

A Cartel Market update, is not what I was promised every 6-weeks, hell, we get those much more regularly than that as it is. So yes, 2.1 had better have more than Cartel Market crap in it or I'll be displeased.

And why do you want to know what my plans are? Why do they matter to you? Since I've NEVER threatened to quit this game, I think it's safe to assume that will NOT be one of the things I do.

Whoa...bitter today Infernixx? Getting a bit hostile there huh?

A Cartel Market update, is not what I was promised every 6-weeks, hell, we get those much more regularly than that as it is. So yes, 2.1 had better have more than Cartel Market crap in it or I'll be displeased.

And why do you want to know what my plans are? Why do they matter to you? Since I've NEVER threatened to quit this game, I think it's safe to assume that will NOT be one of the things I do.

Well, you made a point of stating that you EXPECT there to be more stuff than customization stuff in the Customization patch. So, I was just curious as to what exactly you'll do when you're disappointed when you don't get what you want.