Situational Awareness: improve your Unranked WZ experience

KillaDeuce

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@killadeuce, are you ok with me adding ur post to the already stickied thread?

Only if you

1.) give me credit where it is due

2.) put a link to this thread for discussion ,etc.

3.) Make it very clear that the advice/suggestions are based around "general situations." NOT details and technicalities.

That is what people seem to have the most trouble understanding. That is what I believe makes it good advice for the general player.

4.) Make it clear that it is meant for the general UNRANKED casual pvp player.

This info should be a given for Vets / Ranked players. If you don't make this last part clear they will see it as useless information and most likely troll it.

If you can Do that for me feel free.

About the Healer comment, you are right. Having 4-5 healers is one instance where having a healer guard would not be an issue. But you can find details for almost everything I wrote in the thread where you wouldn't do this or that in certain situations.

I don't expect anyone to read all the responses in the thread. But I believe I explained a few times that I was going to keep my suggestions and advice very generalized.

If you make everything to detailed and technical people won't read it. They just read the subject line, see a wall of text and then troll you based on the subject line since they won't want to read a huge essay..

Hey it's ok, I wrote it for those who actually read the responses for further insight and experience (I did). If it opens even only one pair of eyes, my work is done ;) (and hopefully not a pub, don't need them to know our secrets!)

Edited by smilingbee

Hey it's ok, I wrote it for those who actually read the responses for further insight and experience (I did). If it opens even only one pair of eyes, my work is done ;) (and hopefully not a pub, don't need them to know our secrets!)

In that case thank you even more and sorry for making that assumption.

Add one more pet hate...

STOP FACE TANKING!

So many times I see people, particularly ranged players who sit in the open pew pewing at 6 guys while getting shot to ****. Walls/obstacles are free defensive cooldowns. Learn to LOS strafe and your life expectancy goes up drastically. Your damage will also go up dramatically because your spending ****loads less time wasted in the sin bin.

Edited by JackNader

You should always rotate one to the off node to assist. Risking a 1v1 for the game is not worth it. You also don't know if another stealth class is there. The point of popping force barrier is you use it to break the first sap when they start capping and then if they vanish and re-cc you you still have your cc break available, by this time you have full resolve and you LoS and delay all you want for help to come.

The primary goal of an off node guard is to delay until help comes and not get sap capped. Sorcerer is the third best at that. Sniper 4th.

Or...not use your force barrier, stand far away from the node like a good node guard and save your 3min cd god bubble for when you really need it.

• 3 weeks later...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huttball Warzone

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be aware of the ball.

• Know where the ball is at all times
  • That is where you should be.

Knowing where the ball is is important, being there not so much. Holding the center of the map is also important, especially when the ball is near an endzone!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good read, apparently I already read it as it wouldn't let me give it 5 stars again.

This is a good thread to link anyone who creates another premade complaint thread. Perhaps even change the title to: Situational Awareness: How to improve your solo queue WZ experience.

Edited by Ridickilis

Assasins / Operatives you should be guarding the off-node, NOT DPSing at the main objective, know your role!

So just because I play an assassin and operative (my two mains) that suddenly means that I have no other job other than to be a node guard? I'm sorry, but no. If I look at the ops frame and don't think there's anyone else I can trust to be the guard then I'll do it, but if I look at the ops and think I can pour on more DPS than someone else (who preferrably has more DCD's such as a DPS jugg) then I'm going to fight at mid.

Edited by Hei_Atzfel

So just because I play an assassin and operative (my two mains) that suddenly means that I have no other job other than to be a node guard? I'm sorry, but no. If I look at the ops frame and don't think there's anyone else I can trust to be the guard then I'll do it, but if I look at the ops and think I can pour on more DPS than someone else (who preferrably has more DCD's such as a DPS jugg) then I'm going to fight at mid.

Not always but us sins and ops do make the best guards simply due to our ability to stall multiple enemies.

Not always but us sins and ops do make the best guards simply due to our ability to stall multiple enemies.

I know we make great guards, can't count the times I've held off three guys just because of mind trap abuse and re-stealth. But saying we have NO role other than guarding is a bit silly.

I know we make great guards, can't count the times I've held off three guys just because of mind trap abuse and re-stealth. But saying we have NO role other than guarding is a bit silly.

Just don't get mad if a non-stealthed class loses the off-node quickly.

Having a bad node guard can often be the primary reason for losing a winnable match. Unless there's someone I can trust to node guard (mainly another shadow), I'll do it on my shadow. It's not the most enjoyable thing, but I do understand that my best chances of winning are if I'm node guarding and not someone else. And I enjoy wzs for the objectives and trying to win it, not rack up stats, so i'm ok with it.

Edited by gocard

Having a bad node guard is typically the difference between winning or losing a match. Unless there's someone I can trust to node guard (mainly another shadow), I'll do it on my shadow. It's not the most enjoyable thing, but I do understand that my best chances of winning are if I'm node guarding and not someone else. And I enjoy wzs for the objectives and trying to win it, not rack up stats, so i'm ok with it.

That's my kind of shadow/sin. *high fives*

Know your roll in hutball

-Tanks carry ball

-Healers follow ball carriers

-half of dps peels for tank while the others control mid (situation dependent)

-DO NOT stun when enemy ball carrier near fire, slows are preferred. (when they walk over the fire pit is the only exception. This messes up teammates who might have a pull or leap)

Having a bad node guard can often be the primary reason for losing a winnable match. Unless there's someone I can trust to node guard (mainly another shadow), I'll do it on my shadow. It's not the most enjoyable thing, but I do understand that my best chances of winning are if I'm node guarding and not someone else. And I enjoy wzs for the objectives and trying to win it, not rack up stats, so i'm ok with it.

There's no difference between a stealther and a non-stealther losing a node quickly. A good player can stall just as well whether they have stealth or not, it's just easier with stealth.

There's no difference between a stealther and a non-stealther losing a node quickly. A good player can stall just as well whether they have stealth or not, it's just easier with stealth.

How can you say there's no difference, and then say it's easier if you're a stealther? If it's easier, it means the odds of losing a node quickly are less. And I'm all about playing the odds. I base my decisions on what provides the greatest probability for the outcome I desire. And in a lot of situations, me guarding off-node is the play that provides the best probability of winning.

Frankly, it's less likely that a shadow gets stunlocked and loses a node quickly. As a shadow, I can mez one person, reducing the number of attackers for a while. I can restealth and do it all over again if I start to lose the battle. I can use phasewalk and prevent eating a ton of damage if multiple stealthers pop out of cover and try to spike me out.

Lastly, if we are losing and it's because my dps is needed, then I can make the call to abandon node (pull goalie) and try to swing the balance in our favor long enough to get a 2 cap. And with phasewalk, I can quickly return to off-node should I need to return.

If shadows and scoundrel DPS are good at burst, but not as strong with sustained damage, then it makes sense for them to be node guards. You want to burst down single attackers of your node. If it's a group, you have stealth to help avoid battle long enough for reinforcements. If your team is losing (1 node vs 2 nodes), you can pull goalie and plan a sneak attack on the enemy off-node. With your CC and burst, that's what it's ideally suited for. Bursting down a lone guard and quickly capping.

Yes, stealth, phasewalk, and restealth are huge utilities that make a node guard's life a lot easier. But honestly, I'd give those up for saber reflect. Saber reflect is just too good if you get a person or two attacking you that don't know to look for the visual cue and just hammer DPS on not knowing they're actually killing themselves.