Armor Dye Restrictions, Please let it work for SOME Lore sets.

Magnusheart

Correction on the title, It should work for ALL sets.

Quoted from Dulfy.net

Dye Modules

Give you the ability to either dye entire armor sets or mix-match specific pieces of armor.

Two portions of your gear are dyeable: primary color and secondary color (i.e. for Havoc squad armor, white would be primary color and orange would be the secondary color).

Dye modules come in primary only, secondary only, and primary & secondary mixed.

Dye modules are consumables so you can insert them to change colors but gets destroyed once you pull them out.

You will see them in the cartel market for direct purchase, in future packs (i.e. contraband packs and beyond), a certain amount of colors are available through crafting (no details on the crew skills involved but you can RE them), and some unique colors from the security key and Collector’s Edition vendors. Expect more colors to be added in the coming months.

Dye modules work off the current item enhancement/modding system. You will just open up the item modification panel for any gear you want to dye, drop a dye module in the new dye module slot, and hit accept to have it dyed.

Many pieces of equipment will be able to be dyed and you can preview a dye module on that specific piece of equipment before hitting accept.

Unified to chest also works – you can just dye your chest piece and have the color applied to rest of your outfit.

Some items are not dyeable – anything below L15, anything green (unless it comes from crafting), are generally not dyeable.

Lore outfits like armor of Jolee Bindo are not dyeable.

We need to remove the restriction on certain sets, Like Revans, Jolee Bindos, etc. With Revans we could have STAR FORGE ROBES or fix the light grey color bug ourselves. Being able to dye Jolee's set dark brown would give me variety for my 3 jedi and companions. please dont restrict this...

It is not like we are actually wearing THIER set. we are wearing replicas.

NOT to mention: If not being able to dye Lore named items, then why can we Unify?

We can't dye the lore items, but we can unify them already to diff colors(excluding Nhilius's Mask)

But "Unify Colors" doesn't? :confused:

Update

Quoted from Dulfy.net

2. Alot of cartel market outfits and reputation outfits are below level 15, will these be dyeable? Can you give a list of lore outfits that are not dyeable?

All Cartel Market outfits (with the exception of Lore gear) will be dyeable, regardless of item level.

Lore outfits that do not have Dye Module slots include the KOTOR outfits inspired by:

· Bastila Shan

· The Last Handmaiden

· Carth Onasi

· Darth Malak

· Jolee Bindo

· Triumvirate Armor

Additionally, the Revan armor set and the Mask of Nihilus are also considered Lore gear, and do not have Dye Module slots.

Why? Would it be SO BAD as to see a dark brown Jolee Bindo set? a red Triumvirate Armor(which is also from the original 2 games) A white Revan set or a Blue and Brown Bastila set? We can already Unify Revan's Mask with the Republic Containment officers chest to make it Orange and White like a creamsicle. Would it really be bad if we could alter these sets to our liking instead?

I thought the cartel market was all about cosmetic appearance. Yet the possibility of Star Forge Robes and Brown Jedi Master Kotor style robes(Dark Brown bindo robes) is utterly ****-blocked.

Edited by Magnusheart

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh... I'm fine if they restrict lore gear. Dyes on lore gear would break the lore IMO.

But I guess we see what they decide to do. BTW.... some lore gear does not color match either.... so it looks pretty deliberate to me on their part.

And in other news....... Bioware gives everyone 1M free credits.......Players quickly complain that they want it in cartel coins instead. :p Where there are people... there is always anbundance of "want more".

I am concerned about the restriction on sets below level 15 that is inferred, considering quite a few of the orange sets are level 1. If the restriction stays in place, however, I am still overjoyed that the system even exists and would like to commend Bioware for that FANTASTIC addition.

This is completely ridiculous. The best armor sets are the cartel market ones and they're going to prevent us from dyeing a large portion of those outfits? This is seriously low. It has nothing to with breaking the lore. This is a bloody REPLICA gear we have.

It has something to do with THIS:

http://www.torhead.com/search/alternate

So much for not breaking things, huh Andryah?

...I am of the thought that if they added all orange armor as color change armor it would encourage sales for certain types of armor on the market that have soft interest at present.

I was wondering if the restriction is in place to prevent a lowering of demand for certain types of low level armors based on color preference.

Heh... I'm fine if they restrict lore gear. Dyes on lore gear would break the lore IMO.

You act as if having 100+ Revans in full outfit and mask running around doesn't break lore. Allowing you to dye it makes it so that it would benefit things from a lore standpoint it in my opinion, you'd have more variety rather than a bunch of (Insert character here) clones running around. Just wanted to point this out, but like you said it's all our own opinions.

OT: They probably don't want the several recolors they've made to become absolutely useless.

Edited by IXIJacenIXI

Anything below lvl 15 basically means you can't dye almost any Cartel armor

Damn good point.

Damn, I really, REALLY wanted to dye that new sith chest piece they just released - the old school sith trooper armor from KoToR?

But hey, since they say no, I'm not going to spend any money on those packs or waste any money on Cartel Pack armor if I can't recolor it.

what you forget is once you put in higher lvl mods....the armor is then requires whatever lvl the mods do
EDIT: ahhhh adaptive armor, forgot. Hmm, maybe there's a simple "nothing adaptive can be dyed" restriction? Edited by Pietrastor

Perhaps people should wait for some actual details from devs before they let this stuff ruin their lives or they start jumping off of bridges. BW made sprint and speeders obtainable earlier, added more quickbars for preferred people, bumped up the commendation caps, etc. So they will make adjustments to this kind of stuff when called for....no need for people to freak out or panic over this stuff.

Anything below lvl 15 basically means you can't dye almost any Cartel armor

I'm interpreting that as non-orange gear. There is no dev comment on this so people could be reading the information incorrectly. For example, there would be no need to make specific mention about some lore sets as being exempt from dye kits if this was true....that would be redundant since they are all Cartel gear too. I'm assuming the under level 15 comment refers to prototype and artifact gear under level 15.....not orange Cartel gear that really has no level.

But I guess we see what they decide to do. BTW.... some lore gear does not color match either.... so it looks pretty deliberate to me on their part.

And in other news....... Bioware gives everyone 1M free credits.......Players quickly complain that they want it in cartel coins instead. :p Where there are people... there is always anbundance of "want more".

I agree, lore items are LORE and should adhere to canon appearance.

I'm interpreting that as non-orange gear. There is no dev comment on this so people could be reading the information incorrectly. For example, there would be no need to make specific mention about some lore sets as being exempt from dye kits if this was true....that would be redundant since they are all Cartel gear too. I'm assuming the under level 15 comment refers to prototype and artifact gear under level 15.....not orange Cartel gear that really has no level.

Yeah that's how I read it as well.

Levels 1-10 are your starter planet, and there's nothing that you're going to pick up there in terms of gear (that's not custom) that you're going to need to dye given how fast you outgrow it.

There's alot of art assets used for those early armors/gear sets that are never used or recycled again at higher levels, like you starter gear for instance.

I'm guessing they didn't want to bother adding the dye customization(s) to any of the art assets that aren't used at higher levels.

It might be a technical limitation, that we won't get to dye the lore sets. Most armor sets use just a primary and secondary color, with a primary color and its subset of shades and a secondary color with its own subset of shades. What the dye system seems to do, is change the primary or secondary color INCLUDING its subset of shades.

But the lore sets might be using some specialized pallet instead, where some color entries that are normally shades of primary or secondary color, are now used for seperate colorsets instead. Throwing a dye module over the item would overwrite these additional colorsets and break the appearance of the item. Mucho complaining ensues from players breaking the appearance of their gear.

Yeehah!

My favorite Trooper gloves/boots/pants/chest all look white with a few splotches of paint in their default setting, but when I unify my colors, the pants/gloves/boots all take on the chest's secondary color as their primary. Annoying as heck. Either my gear is backwards color scheme, or I run around in a rainbow armor.

Heck, I might even change my chest peice entirely if I can dye it. I like the scratched up look like the Voss Comms gloves/boots, but the best matching chest is actually black primary instead of white so I never bothered getting it.

Lore-wise Jedi in TOR still wear their traditional robes, even in the field, and yet they're nowhere to be found.What a stupid logic they are following. TOR breaks so much lore at this stage it won't hurt (Trooper/Smuggler seeing Force ghosts? )

How is this relevant to this discussion?

Lore-wise Jedi in TOR still wear their traditional robes, even in the field,

Hmmm no ! Actually SWTOR armored jedi look stems from TCW (Filoni's) which is one of the highest canon, just slightly below the non-CGI movies. It is actually one of the less EUish thing in SWTOR.

Don't get me wrong I too would love to be able to wear "classic" robes but the "bashing" of SWTOR armour design is sometimes unwarranted.