How many people actually play this game?

Liquidzero

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The servers are usually full, for the most part, but...there aren't that many servers. Any idea how many people a server holds? Another question: is this game gaining momentum? Is it growing?

When free-to-play launched in November, it "blew all expectations out of the water," said Ohlen. Subscriptions started going up again. Concurrent players on the servers went way up. Both of those statistics continue to rise. As Ohlen put it, TOR is the second biggest subscription MMORPG in the western world, it has had two million new accounts since the F2P launch, thousands of new players try out the game everyday, and TOR is one of the largest microtransaction money-makers for publisher EA.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/gdc-2013-james-ohlen-on-how-f2p-saved-swtor/

The servers are usually full, for the most part, but...there aren't that many servers. Any idea how many people a server holds? Another question: is this game gaining momentum? Is it growing?

Your topic line says "How many people actually play this game? "

Me and my family play, so that atleast three paid accounts.

Edited by matthewdbear

Less than they hoped. If a company isn't toting their active sub numbers in every interview, blog post and gaming website, they're not doing as well as they hope.

Most games don't do this in general. You never get much beyond occasional messages about copies sold.

The servers are full and doing a lot better than 6 months ago. The game had a real low point and is doing better now. More importantly I play beceause I like the game. That should probably be a more important reason to play.

Most games don't do this in general. You never get much beyond occasional messages about copies sold.

The servers are full and doing a lot better than 6 months ago. The game had a real low point and is doing better now. More importantly I play beceause I like the game. That should probably be a more important reason to play.

Servers should be full, It only took merg... Transferring 90% of them to make it happen.

The sad thing is that EA has already put this title in the "lost cause" bucket and we will never see such intense development as was promised to us around launch. They will not increase the team no matter how well it does and every single cent of profit will go to other projects till this well has been milked dry.

Edited by Jandi

Not many of the over 2 million subs this game has lost.

For one thing, that's an extrapolation. The game had 1.8 million subs at it's peak. The last report before it went F2P stated it had over 500k, but less than a million. So they couldn't have 2 million subs. Also, as people leave, new people subscribe, That's how MMOs go. For instance, Blizzard stated that more people have stopped playing WoW than currently play. So they've lost over 10 million subs. :p But that is entirely irreverent to the question of how how many people play.

The sad thing is that EA has already put this title in the "lost cause" bucket and we will never see such intense development as was promised to us around launch. They will not increase the team no matter how well it does and every single cent of profit will go to other projects till this well has been milked dry.

This.

I disagree with you there. Sure, they've had to adjust their original launch schedule and adapt, but from their own mouths we have heard the game is doing well. Populations are up and income has increased significantly since f2p and the cartel shop. They are not considering this a lost cause. In fact they are able now to do some things they couldn't do before.

You wanna be a doom thinker, enjoy yourself, but the fact that the game almost crashed on itself at one point and that that was disappointing, doesn't mean that everything should be approached with a negative focus. There are positive things happening as we speak and more coming.

The big problem is people wanting to just see the negative and not realising that things are doing better and we are just starting the get the benefits of that. A little more patience and appreciation of what we do have goes a long way. If they could just get the damn servers back up...... ;)

For one thing, that's an extrapolation. The game had 1.8 million subs at it's peak. The last report before it went F2P stated it had over 500k, but less than a million. So they couldn't have 2 million subs. Also, as people leave, new people subscribe, That's how MMOs go. For instance, Blizzard stated that more people have stopped playing WoW than currently play. So they've lost over 10 million subs. :p But that is entirely irreverent to the question of how how many people play.

As far as WoW Goes. Don't they always say how many Accounts they have not subs (big difference)?

I disagree with you there. Sure, they've had to adjust their original launch schedule and adapt, but from their own mouths we have heard the game is doing well. Populations are up and income has increased significantly since f2p and the cartel shop. They are not considering this a lost cause. In fact they are able now to do some things they couldn't do before.

You wanna be a doom thinker, enjoy yourself, but the fact that the game almost crashed on itself at one point and that that was disappointing, doesn't mean that everything should be approached with a negative focus. There are positive things happening as we speak and more coming.

The big problem is people wanting to just see the negative and not realising that things are doing better and we are just starting the get the benefits of that. A little more patience and appreciation of what we do have goes a long way. If they could just get the damn servers back up...... ;)

EA has made their strategy very clear. Release titles, release titles, release titles.

Keep dreaming, I wish you were right, but fixing problems is at the bottom of their to do list.

You should look at previous MMO's that have had the EA logo in them. It's not doomsaying or being negative, it's stating reality based on past experiences. If I'm wrong, good, GREAT in fact, I really hope so as I love Star Wars and love the concept of the game. It's just not how EA has operated in the past.

The number of people in low level areas is impressive for an MMO that's been out this long. Using group finder, at least every third Flashpoint I run into people who have never seen a particular flashpoint before. Those two things together tell me that a healthy influx of new players are arriving on a steady basis.

I believe their last update still had the game with over 500k subs but under 1M and also said they had 2 million accounts created since f2p hit.

That is a little misleading. It doesn't take much to create multiple accounts.

As to the original OP. No one really has a clue outside of BW/EA. Why worry about it? As long as the servers are jumping and you are enjoying yourself, just let it be.