lol bolster

LegendaryQuan

.. PVE is computerized alright...its made to be beaten.PVP is Live online ok.....that takes skill and it shoould tell you off the back which way to develope your game and how it should be kept...bolster changed that lol

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fire the idiot that thought it was a problem for fresh 50s to get facerolled. 10 million people in WoW dealt with it for years and still do. I think 200k people in SWTOR can handle it.

This ^^^^

BW seems to think they can do better than Blizzard. Gear progression works for WoW but it won't work for ToR? No wonder this game is already F2P and down to 8 servers.

1- They gained 2 millions new accounts. How many subs? I dunno. I know for sure that there are a lot of new players.

2- You entirely dodged my point and I'll repeat it again: you can't measure the success of a game by checking the forums, where a minority of the playerbase posts. Blizzard is also not stupid enough to make a move that would piss off the majority of their playerbase, even if they have 10 millions players. Their game would've failed if they decided to listen to their forum warriors complaining about everything and anything.

3 - Can you show me how much players they REALLY lost since 2.0? Provide a link please.

4 - Lots of anger I sense in you

Facts please. I want links to reliable websites about SWTOR failing since 2.0. Otherwise, you're just stating an opinion and the last time I check, opinions aren't facts. Yes, SWTOR had their rough moments and I left before 1.7. Now the game is finally getting better and I see it. Go ahead and leave for WoW, you shall not be missed. Unfortunately for you, they are implementing something similar to the bolster system in the 5.3 patch :) Let's see how their forum warriors will react.

1. Your numbers are old ( I looked it up...) They are from when SWTOR went F2P and were prior to 2.0...I'm talking about from 2.0 on, which is a month ago, and there are no official numbers out for that yet, so yes, it is my opinion that a lot of people are leaving. However, they are leaving, and that is fact. That is actually happening, whether or not you want to believe it. There is no way I can give you the proof you need because that proof does not exist yet in an official format.

2.I never said you could judge the success of a game by forum posts. I said it can be judged by lost subscriptions. And you can look at quite a few people on the forums that have made fair-well posts announcing their cancelling of their subscriptions. I was merely giving a reference point for you too start at. Also, most people don't post when they leave, so what you would be seeing (if you did check it out) would only be a fraction of people that are actually leaving.

3.* http://www.torstatus.net/ though it does not show accounts, it does show a decrease in active server populations.

4.You ask stupid questions, you get sarcastic responses. Don't mangle my words and we can have a civil discussion.

And quoting old info about F2P numbers doesn't make your info anymore fact than mine. Just sayin.

*edited to add link

Edited by Trevormortis

We wanted a system that could handle creating our desired power range more seamlessly, allowing players an easy transition between the leveling game and the PvP game. To that end, we reworked the Bolster system to not function off player level (as it did pre-2.0) and instead use the power level of the items a character currently has equipped. Effectively, this lets us define our “Recruit Item Set” systematically, where if players are below a certain power level we can bring that player up to a power range where they can participate and enjoy PvP. Now players who just hit level 55 no longer have to go looking for a special set of gear to wear in PvP just to try to compete, they can simply queue up and play as they have been their entire leveling experience.

It’s unfortunate that our Bolster 2.0 release hasn’t gone nearly as smoothly as we hoped and that can certainly lead to the suggestion of limiting its use, but without some kind of system in-place we would be in a situation where players will have been playing in a competitive PvP environment as they level up, and as soon as they hit level 55 their PvP enjoyment immediately tanks and they are forced to “suffer through it” to gain enough Warzone Commendations to buy gear to finally be competitive (or simply never play PvP again). We believe that would be very bad in the long run for SW:TOR PvP, and something we are working to avoid.

Bolster in the real world = I can compete in any competitive field like president or brain surgeon or theoretical physicist because everything was given to me regardless of no skill no training no experience no schooling but due to bolster I should have relatively the same amount of a competitive edge. I should get close to the same payoff as well. This is ridiculous.

Also when I started competing in pvp I fully understood that I would not be able to compete with the best of the best until I persevered & overcame through obtaining gear, experience & skill over time.

There should be a difference between pve gear & pvp gear or have no difference at all, & the difference between high lvl gear & low lvl gear should be huge not small especially since it takes long periods of time & effort to obtain. The difference should be Very noticeable.

Believe it or not I really do enjoy this game or did before I found out that all the time I spent trying to get better pvp gear would only give me a few more points even though it took three times as long to obtain.

Your reasoning is absolutly flawed. No one who has full top tier pve gear is coming into pvp with no knowledge of how it works. As far as people with no gear getting beat by people with gear. You guys have to it totally backwards. Go back to 1.0 with pvp please. I would rather be lvl 10 facing a full pvp geared player than know there is nothing waiting for me at the end of the grind.

What you dont seem to understand, and many of the other posters as well, is that people did not use there recruit gear, and while they didnt use it they didnt not que for PvP. THEY STILL QUED. Putting the team with most "newbs" not in WH/EWH at a disadvantage, a huge one. Hell even if they wore the recruit gear people would complain and leave WZ's when they saw a few people with 14k hp or PvE gear. U seem to forget about that, you and four other "recruits" and three people that just left cuz of the recruit gear.

Its not those in recruit gear that were upset, its not those in PvE gear that were upset. It was us, the hardcore PvP community that was upset. To prevent those all to familiar matches, they implement a system where those "recruits" have no choice on gear gap and minimize it so they can be productive players in a WZ. Why do that? So you (the hardcore PvP community) complaining about the recruit gear they have, the PvE gear they have, on how you have to carry them and how useless they are. Thats what happened. Every match. Dont you remember? Ohh I forgot you were the one leaving matches so you dont know what happens in a WZ with recruit gear...

Which is why I stated in post 1427 that I think bolster should be scraped and a new recruit gear should be added that is 95-100% equal with Partisan gear. Then no one would feel bad, pvpers and pvers alike.

And the only time I leave a WZ is if I get tossed into a losing game mid-way through. Thanks for the snide comment though.

The "everyone gets a trophy for trying" attitude is fine but "everyone gets a trophy for not trying"(to gear up) is insanity. This game does not require you to spend all day to get the best gear. So the" I don't have all day to play like you "excuse is just an excuse.

Quote For Truth

Take a look at this site.

It monitors the population trends of these game.

http://www.torstatus.net/

and it shows numbers dropping. It may not give a detailed number but it does show it in general.

Thanks for the link...though it may not be number of accounts, it is still showing a decrease in active players on all servers. Not one has an increase (that is active).

Edited by Trevormortis

Thanks for the link....there you go Darkshadz.....Fact enough for you? No server is showing an increase change in population. In fact, all are listed as losing people.

Lol they can't know the actual numbers all they are listing is server traffic not overall subs so no it isn't a something you should listen to.

Take a look at this site.

It monitors the population trends of these game.

http://www.torstatus.net/

and it shows numbers dropping. It may not give a detailed number but it does show it in general.

you do realize some people do something called taking a brake or playing something else for awhile that doesn't mean they quit the game for any one reason especially not the reason you think.

Lol they can't know the actual numbers all they are listing is server traffic not overall subs so no it isn't a something you should listen to.

fair enough, but declines in people playing universally on all servers is still not a positive sign.

While the bugs and exploits need a fix, I really do enjoy all the people talking about how hard they had it and people should work for their gear. Then they turn around and cry about bolster. Work to get better so you can beat people; expolits, naked bonus or whatever. You supposedly learned great skill in recruit back in the day, where did it go?

Basically, the reason that we have Bolster at 55 is people would likely choose to pvp with garbage gear because they were either lazy or just wanted to irritate the other people on their team.

I'm really glad that BW implemented this system. Now the lazy, worthless pvpers have one less excuse.

1. Your numbers are old ( I looked it up...) They are from when SWTOR went F2P and were prior to 2.0...I'm talking about from 2.0 on, which is a month ago, and there are no official numbers out for that yet, so yes, it is my opinion that a lot of people are leaving. However, they are leaving, and that is fact. That is actually happening, whether or not you want to believe it. There is no way I can give you the proof you need because that proof does not exist yet in an official format.

2.I never said you could judge the success of a game by forum posts. I said it can be judged by lost subscriptions. And you can look at quite a few people on the forums that have made fair-well posts announcing their cancelling of their subscriptions. I was merely giving a reference point for you too start at. Also, most people don't post when they leave, so what you would be seeing (if you did check it out) would only be a fraction of people that are actually leaving.

3.* http://www.torstatus.net/ though it does not show accounts, it does show a decrease in active server populations.

4.You ask stupid questions, you get sarcastic responses. Don't mangle my words and we can have a civil discussion.

And quoting old info about F2P numbers doesn't make your info anymore fact than mine. Just sayin.

*edited to add link

I already countered your weak arguments in my previous post. You're just repeating yourself. The only link you provided didn't prove anything at all. Come back when you'll have something new to say.

I always see the problem with PvP as a 2 part problem.

1) Expertise, this one Stat has caused so many issues with people trying to take part in PvP but without uber gear. I know they use to dump PvP gear but it was equivalant of trying to run an op in green gear.

2) PvP gear progression was too fast, as such they made it that a full suit of PvP gear could be gained much quicker than a full set of PvE gear and to combat this they had to make PvP gear rubbish for PvE.

I think a smarter move would have been to make PvP and PvE progression and gear at the same speed.

I already countered your weak arguments in my previous post. You're just repeating yourself. The only link you provided didn't prove anything at all. Come back when you'll have something new to say.

lol, totally, you countered everything i said by tossing out old info that is no longer relevant to this conversation and taking everything i wrote out of context. you win.

lol, totally, you countered everything i said by tossing out old info that is no longer relevant to this conversation and taking everything i wrote out of context. you win.

It is not relevant for you because you can't prove me wrong. Well, not yet. Yup, I'm winning :)

So with this bolster system, what is our incentive to actually gear up? Will pvp gear make us stronger than a person in non-pvp gear in the long run?

I would love to have a level playing field, but level 55 pvp is just bizarre. I would much rather have the pre 2.0 pvp system where our stats actually told us how powerful we are, regardless whether we're in a WZ or not. That said, I much prefer a horizontal scaling system, kind of like GW2.

But people don't like horizontal scaling. Even when the flaws are right there, even in the developers own words. :/

It is not relevant for you because you can't prove me wrong. Well, not yet. Yup, I'm winning :)

No, I said it is not relevant because its old info that doesn't pertain to this discussion at all. It has nothing to do with you being wrong or right. If this conversation was taking place 2-3 months ago, maybe it would still pertain, but we aren't, so it doesn't. Do you even read my posts before you reply? Once again your reading comprehension fails if you do. You keep trying to derail any type of real conversation and I'm not going to keep arguing with you.

And refuting someone with non-relevant information and claiming it is relevant is very troll-ish, you are clearly trying to deceive, and between that and blatantly taking things I write out of context, I think you've shown your true colors.

Edited by Trevormortis

No, I said it is not relevant because its old info that doesn't pertain to this discussion at all. It has nothing to do with you being wrong or right. If this conversation was taking place 2-3 months ago, maybe it would still pertain, but we aren't, so it doesn't. Do you even read my posts before you reply? Once again your reading comprehension fails. You keep trying to derail any type of real conversation and I'm not going to keep arguing with you.

And refuting someone with non-relevant information and claiming it is relevant is very troll-ish, you are clearly trying to deceive, and between that and blatantly taking things I write out of context, I think you've shown your true colors.

Did you provide any information that I've asked from you (the number of people quitting the game) at all? That's right, nothing. I'm done with you as well.

Edited by Darkshadz