SWG Revive?

Wooker

Discussing with fan boys is tedious at best. :rolleyes:

Read Forbes from last week with regards to Disney's closure of Lucas Art.

Read what Motley Fool has to say about the same.

A lot more was published when Disney bought the Star Wars franchise a while ago.

Read what the analysts had to say when EA shutdown parts of Bioware.

Read what they had to say when Bioware's top management resigned.

There is still the same consensus that SWTOR has sorely disappointed, given the huge investment and the tremendous marketing potential of the Star Wars franchise.

With regards to SWTOR (not necessarily other games), what you claim is a new, successful marketing model is almost across the board viewed by independent financial analysts of reputed news organizations as a last-gasp effort to save a failed investment. Sure, it might work out after all - as I said a few posts ago, only time will tell.

But really, this discussion has moved too far from the SWG thread topic, so let's end this here.

You are right, this is off topic. So On Topic: SWG is dead, get over it.

Back to your claims. None of those sources paint as negative a picture about TOR as you claim, not recently at least. The only clear risk, and that has investors holding back now, is Disney taking over the license. If they indeed focus solely on the movies era, that would mean bad things for SWTOR's license when it comes up. This uncertainty, above anything else, keeps investors nervous. Nothing about the actual state of the product itself has recently caused concerns.

So your claim of a consensus of that it was financially failed: That is completely off. The only consensus there is is that it disappointed. Completely different claims though, but you offhandedly made them both.

The fact you claim me a fanboy you are discussing this with just makes it clear to me how you stand in it. When I see facts, I present both sides. And if someone presents only one side, I'll present the other. You, however, make grand and general statements. Claiming to come from a position of authority as a self-proclaimed shareholder, while clearly presenting only one side of the possibilities.

You even claimed that EA stock is a clear indication that this game was not succesful, a very silly claim considering all other aspects that determine that stock value, and never backed down on that claim or admitted it was a bit overstating what you feel. And yet you call me a fanboy? While you chose to ignore claims that were rebuked earlier for the sake of staying on your own point? That is, what I call, one sided 'debating', also known as 'ignoring the facts that don't fit my view'. And you know who do that? fanboys and haters. I am not ignoring a single fact, you are.

The facts are very clear. Is investing in EA a risky business at this time? Yes. Is there anything clear in the long term for this game? No. Are there great risks for a long term investor because Disney took over? Yes. Are there clear indications of improvement and growth despite all these things? Yes.

And no amount of stock figures will change that last fact. And that last fact, matters a lot more to us players than all the other ones before that. Those only matter for shareholders, and determine the worth of the EA share. While that last fact will in no way, ever, increase the worth of shares in EA directly. Only clear financial success will do that. And EA did not state clear financial success yet because it was 'too soon to say'. So in that way, all your so called 'experts' who also call it the same, are merely parroting what EA themselves already said.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question. If now lucas arts closed and are licencing star wars games could sony bring back swg? It might cost money but, a kickstarter could work. Please post your ideas (i'm not hating or dissing swtor just want it back)

At present Lucas Arts is not involved in SWToR. It's BioWare (new version, RIP "real" BioWare) who develops SWToR and the MMO license is currently sold to BioWare by Lucas Arts.

Thus - you cannot (legally) promote and start selling a new MMO without renegotiating the current MMO license.

So - with a very very high certainty - you will never ever see SWG again on your screen, unless you turn to the project mentioned in this thread.

That project is based on SWG and requires you to own the old discs. It gives you access to a server which is driven free of charge. It works but might be border lining on legal (I don't really know). Anyway, that might be enough for you, but I don't know how they will be able to handle it if they get thousands of users.

But the thing is - you have to have the discs from the old.

i want a logical and exact answer to my question please.

The logical answer is that SWG is dead. It limped along, but in the end wasn't worth keeping open for Sony. Therefore, Sony will not try to reopen SWG.

If you want this to happen, you should be on another forum, probably a Sony forum and not on the SWTOR forum.

No. Especially since Disney has their own view of a post Return galaxy. Everything that happened in Galaxies is non canon in their eyes, so reviving Galaxies is pointless. If they make an MMO, it'll be in their timeline, not Lucasart's.

That's not exactly true. Lucasarts still exists as the licensing "bureau". If Lucasarts make SWG canon then its part of the story. What's NOT cannon is all the EU stuff that people talk about. As far as Lucasarts is concerned the movies are and anything they specifically licensed as canon material.

Back on topic...

That said, SWG was weak and was never at any point a good game. It was a decent idea with some really interesting mechanics but it was never a "good" game. Lets move on people. She's dead. Get over it.

And for the people on here saying SWTOR is still losing money and we have no proof its profitable...

YES we do. It's still running which means its turning a profit. They can't lie in their investment reports. That is heavily regulated.

Man, the horse is dead, please desist with the floggings.

SWG is dead, its never coming back outside of fan supported private servers.

Much as the sandbox crowd like to bang on about it, the mass market has proved that it does not care for sandbox games.

If they did, they would be falling over themselves to make more of them and SWG would still be doing big business for Sony

But it is'nt, and its not, let it go.

Really, I pray they do bring it back so these people will GET OFF THE SWTOR FORUMS.

: : Suggestion : : Make one single SWG thread that people can continue to post to and discuss issues related to that game. That way, you don't continue to clog the SWTOR forums with these discussions.

... :( Sheesh everyone went from some simple SWG talk, and yes misplaced post (as we all know where this belongs, its been stated numerous times) to licensing talk to quarterly reports and finances has me all sad of weather to continue sub'ing and play.. not only did it seem to get somewhat hostile but sheesh almost in a quick summary .. if Disney or EA Doesn't make enough money.. what by next year swtor could be done.. :( I will admit I miss SWG but its gone.. But what I hate more is, investing time.. and money into something that has the possibility of being short lived. I really hope this game continues to strive and succeed, as should most of you since most people are one or all of the following: star wars fans, bioware fans, and kotor fans. And truth to be told the only people that will help this game continue is us the community. Sooo yeah lets just play the game and enjoy it : )

It's gone, it's never coming back and you're going to have to deal with it. I enjoy seeing people that can't handle change squirm and cry.

You got an answer, you're just not willing to cope. Maybe your life would be better if you were more accepting to change? Maybe someday you will ask out a girl that doesn't weigh 250+ lbs...theres change for you!!!

... :( Sheesh everyone went from some simple SWG talk, and yes misplaced post (as we all know where this belongs, its been stated numerous times) to licensing talk to quarterly reports and finances has me all sad of weather to continue sub'ing and play.. not only did it seem to get somewhat hostile but sheesh almost in a quick summary .. if Disney or EA Doesn't make enough money.. what by next year swtor could be done.. :( I will admit I miss SWG but its gone.. But what I hate more is, investing time.. and money into something that has the possibility of being short lived. I really hope this game continues to strive and succeed, as should most of you since most people are one or all of the following: star wars fans, bioware fans, and kotor fans. And truth to be told the only people that will help this game continue is us the community. Sooo yeah lets just play the game and enjoy it : )

No. Disney now gets the licensing fee. They do not get profits from the game. The profits from the game go to Bioware, and it has nothing to do with Disney. The contract is signed, and there is no out except for a great deal of money on Disney's part. It just won't happen.

Please stop spreading these rumors as if some how SWTOR is going to be shut down. If you don't understand contracts that is fine, but there is no evidence at all that Disney plans on buying out BW's contract.

Back on topic...

That said, SWG was weak and was never at any point a good game. It was a decent idea with some really interesting mechanics but it was never a "good" game. Lets move on people. She's dead. Get over it.

/Agree. People that insist on some SWG nostalgia can find it over in the various EMU forums.

This topic started out as a "business discussion" about bringing SWG back as a commercial product. A flawed thought process. The only hope any of the SWG die hard fans have is that one or more EMUs someday gets out of alpha and remains careful to not earn a penny off of their efforts.....because if they do, they will have all the weight of the Disney legal team down upon them and they will be instant dust. The only reason the EMUs are allowed to continue is because they are non-comercial amatuer fan driven enterprises.

And for the people on here saying SWTOR is still losing money and we have no proof its profitable...

YES we do. It's still running which means its turning a profit. They can't lie in their investment reports. That is heavily regulated.

Yeah, I don't get all the amatuer analysis conclusions that SWTOR is not profitable.

Not only do we have have the most recent interview insights from Jame O. (which clearly show the game has moved past the storm and into solid commercial success), but we have to also understand that EA is a holding company....it requires profit contribution from evey entity in it's holding portfolio. Which simply means that an MMO in the EA stable WILL scale and adjust it's operations plan to = operations cost + contribution margin to EA.

Would EA like it to be bigger in terms of dollars.... sure... the sky is the limit....billions and billions is desired. But the operational reality is EA expects X% profit contribution and will hammer a product until it gets it. [basic corporate business 101 for publicly traded companies folks]. You meet the profit contribution target to the parent company and you are good to go... forever basically (Evidence DAoC, as an MMO example).

No. Disney now gets the licensing fee. They do not get profits from the game. The profits from the game go to Bioware, and it has nothing to do with Disney.

Actually, it has been indicated over time (and is actually known practice for high value IP like SW) that there is very likely a fixed fee + income sharing. Meaning that LA/Disney receive a minimum guarantee on the IP license PLUS they also share in the income of the MMO.

Now, why would they do this?? Simple.... it is risk mitigation for EA and risk reward for LA/Disney. EA does not get strapped with an excessive burden of licensing fees if the game is less successful then planned, and for that consideration of lower fixed fees LA/Disney get a piece of all the action in terms of sales. This is very common practice in many segments of business where valuable IP is on the table to be transformed into revenue generating income. The parties share the risks/rewards.

The contract is signed, and there is no out except for a great deal of money on Disney's part. It just won't happen.

100% agree. Contracts such as this are extremely hard to cancel, default on, or renegotiate unless it is in the clear interests of both parties.

Please stop spreading these rumors as if some how SWTOR is going to be shut down. If you don't understand contracts that is fine, but there is no evidence at all that Disney plans on buying out BW's contract.

100% agree.

LOL @ both sides

@SWG fanbois, SWG is long gone guys, apparently there are emulators in the works (which tbh is gonna look very dated if they dont up grade the graphics), while i never p[layed swg i wouldnt be looking on swtor forums for supports as most players here, well like this game. coming on here and keep bring these "SWTOR v SWG" threads is not gonna generate allies since you are basicly saying "we dont like this game , we want our game back". i say supprt the swg underground and stop trolling these forums.

@SWTOR fanboi, while i dont care for SWG, i like how all these ppl on this forum is like "LOL SWG SUX, STOP QQING OVER IT, OR BAIS"

as i am sure if the situation was reverse the same ppl who are saying this would be the fanbois pining for the old days while swg players telling you to shut up.in fact, i know if there was another SW ip mmo to come out and swtor got come down for it can strived , you guys would be all over the new game going "swtor did better" "new game sux, we want swtor" and etc.

as darthTHC sig says

"Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought."

indeed

Edited by astrobearx

/

Yeah, I don't get all the amatuer analysis conclusions that SWTOR is not profitable.

It's a typical form of herding behaviour. Supposed "analysts" need to make an assessment for purpose of his/her job but have a reputation to maintain and have little real value assessment available. If they stick to the crowds' belief and they get it wrong then he/she know his/her reputation won't hurt a lot since he/she wasn't the only one who got it wrong. On the other hand, if he/she goes against crowd belief and gets it wrong then his/her reputation will take a larger hit. Analyst relies on reputation to make a living hence "herding" with others is really desirable when the analyst doesn't have anything real to offer.

With less than 5,000 people playing at the end of SWG's lifespan, there's no incentive to bring it back and besides I'd much rather see someone else take over SWG and revert it back to what it was pre-cu. SWG is dead and gone though.

"Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought."

That WOULD explain the whole Alliance thing during Mists when Jaina became an awesome mage and struck against the Horde aligned Sunreavers in Dalaran and the Alliance accused Blizzard of making her "psycho", after complaining that all Alliance heroes are "do nothing pacifists" when the Horde ran rampant in Cataclysm....

Do I want to see a return of SWG? No. It's engine was dated even when it was still around. It barely worked well on my Windows 7 64bit 1080p set up. The combat was bad, even for an old MMO, and it's physics engine left a lot to be desired.

HOWEVER and this is a big however. I do want Bioware to take note of what SWG did right. SWG had a big feature that modern MMOs seem to be lacking. Customization. When I made a character in SWG, I wasn't limited to 5 or 6 options per choice. I had sliders that could adjust my body size. Adjust my height. I could freely change my skin colour (For Twilek characters, this was big and really fun). I had a player house and while I don't want to see houses litter the worlds in TOR, I do think with phasing technology, it's possible to make a player city system that doesn't have the old SWG drawback.

But the biggest feature I want to see reinvented for TOR would be the space combat. SWG's space combat was the best thing to happen in an MMO. Ever. Period. It was the best. Nothing in Everquest (1/2), WoW, or any other MMO compares to SWG's space system. It was fun. It was casual and hardcore at the same time. It wasn't on rails. We weren't limited to a single ship per archtype. We had the ability to customize our bigger ships inside, treating it like a player house. We had the ability to control the ships ourselves when using them to jump between systems and planets. Space required more thinking and wasn't something you could win with your eyes closed. Space had PvP. The ability to go up against eachother in player verse player combat. It had the ability to have multiple people on the same ship and those guests were able to help out during a fight.

tldr: Don't bring back SWG. Merge the concepts from both Star Wars MMOs. Take the strengths of both games to make one ultra Star Wars MMO.

Is it me or did most people hate SWG and the SWG hate machine was VERY big when SWG was out and people barely played it. Now you are seeing people saying they loved it. Don't get it. Must be psychology behind it ;)

There are people who did love the game before the NGE. There are people who loved the game after the NGE. There are people who loved the game from start to finish.

Now that the game is closed and CAN'T be played anymore the people who "HATED" the game publically don't have as much reason to post anymore, leaving the people who did love the game as the primary posters as they miss the game and want to imagine a reality where it's brought back.

Personally, I loved the game from start to finish. I would LOVE for it to be officially brought back.

However, the reality is that just isn't going to happen. SOE holds rights to some of the systems IN the game, and Disney holds rights to the IP. Neither party can remake the game, as it was, by itself....legally.

I only hope that whatever SOE is planning after Everquest Next is sci-fi based and uses modern upgrades of the systems that I loved about SWG.

Of course that, if it's even a plan...won't come out for probably 14 years.

I'll keep playing this game until Star Citizen comes out.

Actually, it has been indicated over time (and is actually known practice for high value IP like SW) that there is very likely a fixed fee + income sharing. Meaning that LA/Disney receive a minimum guarantee on the IP license PLUS they also share in the income of the MMO.

Now, why would they do this?? Simple.... it is risk mitigation for EA and risk reward for LA/Disney. EA does not get strapped with an excessive burden of licensing fees if the game is less successful then planned, and for that consideration of lower fixed fees LA/Disney get a piece of all the action in terms of sales. This is very common practice in many segments of business where valuable IP is on the table to be transformed into revenue generating income. The parties share the risks/rewards.

Makes sense. But really, the point of that was that Disney will get paid either way. Therefore it is not in their best interest to shut down the game and overcome a massive buyout just to get rid of SWTOR. It does make sense if you were Lucas Arts to collect some profits as well.

Either way, Disney now has the lowest risk in the situation, as long as they honor the contract. Also, if SWTOR is around, it is unlikely that Disney would give another MMO license to compete against it. If anything, they would want a new MMO, but even that doesn't make a lot of sense considering how SWTOR and SWG went. And though SWTOR can be considered a success now, I think the risk to spend 5 more years on yet another MMO would be way to high.

Short and sweet, SWTOR is going nowhere and SWG is dead.

(I rambled after my response, so this wasn't all directed to you Andryah)

I played from launch till close , went thru ALL the changes and survived. Game was s*it for awhile but ended just fine, IMO. I'd play again as their crafting system was the best ever .

haanoverfist / flakmagnet

Scylla / Starsider

That is both a logical and exact answer. SWG is gone it was a bad game let it go. I played it for 8 years and that was only because of the social and pvp systems. Remember, although people say they liked the game, it was never a commercial success and it took dummies like me paying for multiple accounts just to keep it afloat. It was fun for the time, but that time was 2003-2005. Personally, my life has changed and so has the gaming world. If your life is exactly the same as it was 8-10 years ago, it might be time to make some changes. All in all, I have noticed that over the years even the people I played with changed and moved on. Today's gamer has no patience for the BS that sony put us through and I'm sure that scares the hell out of every big company that would invest in a project like swg. This game is a perfect example of why their will never be an MMO like SWG ever again. SWG was plagued with issues that we all worked around and just accepted as part of the game. Fast forward to 2013, I actually see babies complaining about not getting a particular title for killing a boss. SWG didnt even have a dungeon at launch except "The Warren" which was more of a quest then a dungeon. Here babies complained that there were only 2 dungeons and 3 pvp arenas at launch. See the difference.

I even recreated my old swg guild when SWTOR launched. I have kept in touch with most of them over the years. We talked about SWTOR for years before it launced we had high hopes for the guild and the game. They all quit because it wasnt SWG. They have been jumping games for 7 years looking for the next SWG. They quit this game to keep looking. What I'm trying to say is that even the people that made SWG special, are no longer the same people and we have all grown apart. SWG was a one time fluke. It failed, from a profit standpoint. I dont see any investor taking a shot to recreate something that failed so miserably and publically. I personally, petitioned CNN to do a story on the "abuse" that I thought Sony perpetrated on us. There was no bigger advocate for SWG, at one time I had 10 paid subs for the game (I was a big time partier at the time and paying $150 a month was cheaper then 1 night out for me, so it was a bargain).

My advice is move on and enjoy the games that are out now. They won't give you that open feeling swg did, but oh well. If you still want to play swg there are a few SWGEMUs out there, play that, but give up on thinking that Sony's SWG is coming back.

I got mad and /ragequit SWG when they added the Hangar building into the card game loot rather than giving it to crafters to build and sell. Looking back, I still may have left, but a big part of me is sad that I did not ride the old girl into the sun. I miss that game, a lot. It was a great mix of what makes MMO's fun.

You don't love what you've got until it's gone.