SWG Revive?

Wooker

Question. If now lucas arts closed and are licencing star wars games could sony bring back swg? It might cost money but, a kickstarter could work. Please post your ideas (i'm not hating or dissing swtor just want it back)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you would need permission by Disney instead of LA. unless they get a huge amount of monney they won't allow it.

This. Just because the studio closed doesn't mean that everybody and their mother would be able to create Star Wars Games left & right. They still have to get a license to create it from Disney, ie they need Permission First

This. Just because the studio closed doesn't mean that everybody and their mother would be able to create Star Wars Games left & right. They still have to get a license to create it from Disney, ie they need Permission First

You do realize that the game (ie. software) already exists? The license, sure, but the game is written.

I would not want to see SWG return.

SWG offered a lot of cool stuff but SWTOR offers some awesome combat, sure is better to fire sith lightning here than that weird blue line that sometimes did a 360 around your character.

I would like to see another Starwars MMO set in between the trilogy. I liked the empire with palpatine best, and awesome time period IMO. Plus i miss AT-AT's :cool:

Maybe factor in some of RP elements and open world of SWG with the combat and graphics of SWTOR, plus companions are pretty neat.

Edited by kirorx

I would not want to see SWG return.

SWG offered a lot of cool stuff but SWTOR offers some awesome combat, sure is better to fire sith lightning here than that weird blue line that sometimes did a 360 around your character.

I would like to see another Starwars MMO set in between the trilogy. I liked the empire with palpatine best, and awesome time period IMO. Plus i miss AT-AT's :cool:

Maybe factor in some of RP elements and open world of SWG with the combat and graphics of SWTOR, plus companions are pretty neat.

You can in no way compare the combat in an mmo from 2003 to an mmorpg from 2012. Just no, get out.

Apart from EMU (personally I hate) there is an NGE emu in production. http://www.projectswg.com/

But I would love to see SWG again. Nay sayers can say nay all they want.. guess what? You don't need to play it if you don't want to. Geez.

Edited by Aedey

Didn't read OP? Kickstarter priming The House of Mouse could actually do this... but how much money would it take?

Nonsense. You need a license for the IP.. which would be in the 10s of millions just to get started (assuming Disney would even license a restart of that sorry old MMO, and why would they.. it was on it's last breath when LA/Sony pulled the plug. Let the EMUs handle the 10-20K people that would actually play it... 'course the EMUs will never leave alpha.. but they are there.

Edited by Andryah

Nonsense. You need a license for the IP.. which would be in the 10s of millions just to get started (assuming Disney would even license a restart of that sorry old MMO).

Heh. A license was the subject being discussed. Do you feel knowledgeable in typing "Nonsense", than agreeing with the post you are quoting?

Shouldn't this belong on a SWG love thread? IF it ever happened at least make it so they fix those HORRIBLE animations. Especially of the running one. YUCK

Righto. Hate that run! Rather play a game with space-on-rails, and a rat-n-cheese approach to planet design. The run is everything!!!

Question. If now lucas arts closed and are licencing star wars games could sony bring back swg? It might cost money but, a kickstarter could work. Please post your ideas (i'm not hating or dissing swtor just want it back)

Lucas Arts and all its intellectual properties, including Star Wars, was sold to Disney.

Disney now owns the rights and collects the royalties from the licenses, including the one for SWTOR.

Bioware obtained a license for Star Wars from Lucas Arts.

EA owns Bioware and thereby owns SWTOR.

Now EA pays royalties for the Star Wars trademark to Disney.

Because of its huge popularity and marketing value, Star Wars is the most lucrative license to hold. Hence, it's royalties are the most exorbitant. The cost of the license for SWG was approximately 35% of their total revenue. While I do not know the numbers, I'm certain that EA's license for SWTOR is in the same ballpark.

To be successful with that kind of license price tag, a game needs to attract a huge number of paying customers. And this is exactly the reason why the financial world considers SWTOR a failure - the game was unable to attract and keep the large numbers of subscribers needed to return a profit. Even with the F2P Cartel Market, SWTOR is barely profitable now and only a very small part of EA's portfolio.

Most licenses have non-competition clauses in them. In other words, Disney is excluded from issuing the same license to another MMO (or making one themselves) while the license with EA is still active. SWG is similar enough to SWTOR to be covered by such a clause.

Most licenses have expiration dates. While I have no way to confirm this, EA's license is said to run for 3 years. After that time, EA has to decide if it makes economic sense to renew it or if it is better to close SWTOR down.

Time will tell.

Overall, the gaming industry is trying to move away from licensing agreements in general because they are simply too expensive to maintain.

So, to answer the OP's question - no, not any time soon and probably not ever will we see a revival of SWG.

SWG closed down not (just) because of SWTOR.

No matter how SWG fans try to spin it, it wasn't exactly as if the subscribers were rolling in by the millions. The game was pretty much dead. This doesn't mean it was not a good game etc. but it was, for all intents and purposes, dead.

Kickstarting it wouldn't make a difference. How much money would it need for licensing? And how about maintaining it? In today's market that's awful for subscription-based MMOs how lucrative would a 2003 game be compared to today's games? A few thousand fans (even 100k fans) can't save it.

Be realistic people. Move on or go support the SWGEmu.

Edited by TheNahash

Lucas Arts and all its intellectual properties, including Star Wars, was sold to Disney.

Disney now owns the rights and collects the royalties from the licenses, including the one for SWTOR.

Bioware obtained a license for Star Wars from Lucas Arts.

EA owns Bioware and thereby owns SWTOR.

Now EA pays royalties for the Star Wars trademark to Disney.

Because of its huge popularity and marketing value, Star Wars is the most lucrative license to hold. Hence, it's royalties are the most exorbitant. The cost of the license for SWG was approximately 35% of their total revenue. While I do not know the numbers, I'm certain that EA's license for SWTOR is in the same ballpark.

To be successful with that kind of license price tag, a game needs to attract a huge number of paying customers. And this is exactly the reason why the financial world considers SWTOR a failure - the game was unable to attract and keep the large numbers of subscribers needed to return a profit. Even with the F2P Cartel Market, SWTOR is barely profitable now and only a very small part of EA's portfolio.

Most licenses have non-competition clauses in them. In other words, Disney is excluded from issuing the same license to another MMO (or making one themselves) while the license with EA is still active. SWG is similar enough to SWTOR to be covered by such a clause.

Most licenses have expiration dates. While I have no way to confirm this, EA's license is said to run for 3 years. After that time, EA has to decide if it makes economic sense to renew it or if it is better to close SWTOR down.

Time will tell.

Overall, the gaming industry is trying to move away from licensing agreements in general because they are simply too expensive to maintain.

So, to answer the OP's question - no, not any time soon and probably not ever will we see a revival of SWG.

lol assumptions much? I'm pretty sure there's a lot of legit sources that put SWTOR in the top5 on EA's revenue list.