Pre-ordering and early access

skiibyrd

So I have guild mates who just came back and started playing SWTOR again, and are just finding out about the Expansion Pack. He just found out that you can pre-order for the Expansion pack is availiable, but a guildie brought up a good point that I couldn't answer.

If you are a sub, and pre-order the game, prior to the 5 day early access... why can you not get the early access? I had no good answer for this, and honestly I agree with him. His view on this was early access should granted to anyone who is a sub, and pre-orders the expansion, as long las they are in before the start of the 5 day access.

He also went on to state "This is a digital content ONLY, you cannot purchase a retail/hard copy of the expansion pack, so if you cannot get the early access, then why even pre-order it, its not like there will be a shortage". I did explain the pre-orders come with a few exclusive things.

I still kind of have to agree with him a bit, I feel like subs should get early access if they pre-order the game prior to the 5 day early access... after all, we do give monthly income to the game, why wouldn't they want the loyal playerbase, who continues to stay faithful and pay for the game monthly acess to the new content for the game.

We commit our funds monthly to the game, and if we pre-order then we are showing further loyality and committment to the game. Maybe I am just jaded by speaking with my guildmate, which is why I brought this here. What do you guys think?

Edited by skiibyrd

The entire point of early-access is marketing. They don't care if it makes people happy or not, and they don't care how anyone feels about it.

They announced the xpac and pre-order special at the same time, giving people plenty of time to do it. They wanted to push of money up front, probably to help finish up work on RotHC - now we're less than 2 weeks away, so what's the point?

Plenty of other games have done similar things. If they allowed everyone (or every sub) to get early-access, where's the incentive to pony up the money early?

Yeah I didn't order it until January and missed out on the early access as well.

In my opinion we know how much EA/Bio want us to buy cartel coins how about this:

500 coins for early access if you have already pre-ordered. I know I'm not the only dummy who pre ordered too late haha. I would be more than happy to make that purchase.

There have been plenty of threads created about this topic already, but I'll just be nice and answer your question anyway.

All players of SWTOR, both current and former, got an e-mail way back in December about RotHC that included information about early access and when the deadline for that was. I wasn't subscribed at the time, but I still got the email. I'll even link a screenshot of it for proof if you really need me to.

The point is, if your guildmates didn't know about the expansion pack, it's nobody's fault but their own for not checking their email over three months ago. They were very clear about when the deadline for early access was. It passed almost three months ago. It's over. Move on.

I missed out on early access as well, but you don't see me complaining about it.

The entire point of early-access is marketing. They don't care if it makes people happy or not, and they don't care how anyone feels about it.

They announced the xpac and pre-order special at the same time, giving people plenty of time to do it. They wanted to push of money up front, probably to help finish up work on RotHC - now we're less than 2 weeks away, so what's the point?

Plenty of other games have done similar things. If they allowed everyone (or every sub) to get early-access, where's the incentive to pony up the money early?

See and I thought maybe they restricted the early access to help with the launch, and que times into the servers (Not having everyone que at once). Im sure it would be easier on the servers having a quarter of the player population start early, get all the bugs out a week in advance, then launch it for the majority, or the rest of the players.

What I find funny is the people who, when the Pre-Order was first announced, stated they refused to pre-order without more info on what was coming, so they didn't, and missed the early access because of it. And now they are complaining (not saying the OP or friends are) that they don't get the early access...

What I find funny is the people who, when the Pre-Order was first announced, stated they refused to pre-order without more info on what was coming, so they didn't, and missed the early access because of it. And now they are complaining (not saying the OP or friends are) that they don't get the early access...

Ironic isn't it ?

Its a limited time offer some of us (including myself) missed out on the offer, its really not a big deal everybody gets 2.0 at the same time so we can still level to 55 we just can't do the new planet. Not a big deal really I'll just grind warzones, dailys and space. Edited by majiinx

Haha, yep. That's people for you. I doubt the OP is in this boat, but I guarantee you there is someone out there whining about this when they whined previously about not having enough info. Some of us had faith and told them that the expansion would be good. That it would be more than just a tiny planet and a few xp levels. They said we were wrong. Well... :t_cool:

Its a limited time offer some of us (including myself) missed out on the offer, its really not a big deal everybody gets 2.0 at the same time so we can still level to 50 we just can't do the new planet. Not a big deal really I'll just grind warzones, dailys and space.

You mean 55? You won't be able to hit 55.....

RotHC is required for levels 50-55, the new planet, new ops, new fps....you don't get that for free.

I kind of understand why some people did that though, the game had a rough patch there for a bit, and I can see why some individuals may have wanted additional information about what they expansion pack would offer before further investing in the property. Good thing is, its only $10 if you sub, so its low risk, but $10 is $10, and that could get some people into another MMO if they felt this wasnt going to offer them what they were hoping for.

You mean 55? You won't be able to hit 55.....

RotHC is required for levels 50-55, the new planet, new ops, new fps....you don't get that for free.

Yes you will have to pay for RotHC to hit 55 but the early access is for the new content itself if you purchase RotHC you can still level just not using the new content.

No.

You missed out on the limited time offer.

Sorry but that promotion has passed.

this. everyone since f2p launch knew makeb was coming, BW push the early acess back twice i think.

all you guys who said "well im gonna wait" is reaping what you sowed. i mean inevitably you have to buy rothc to continue playing the endgame content, so why didnt you buy it when it first came out? :rolleyes:

Yes you will have to pay for RotHC to hit 55 but the early access is for the new content itself if you purchase RotHC you can still level just not using the new content.

No, you can't.

ALL of the new content AND levels are included in RotHC -- something you cannot even download until the 14th unless you pre-ordered early enough. You WILL NOT be able to level, access any new content, or anything else until the 14th (or 9th for early-access people).

Didn't think it was that hard to understand...

*Snip*

I did explain the pre-orders come with a few exclusive things.

*More snipping*

...why wouldn't they want the loyal playerbase, who continues to stay faithful and pay for the game monthly acess to the new content for the game.

You answered one of your own questions in the first comment quoted. Pre-ordering still gives some benefit in the way of toys (one at least which is useful).

Your second quoted comment doesn't make much sense in the context of your writing on behalf of guild-mates who had been a long while absent from the game. Although I wasn't absent, I am in a similar boat to your guildies who haven't got early access. At the time of the offer I wasn't sure if I would still be around and none of my characters were guilded. That situation has now changed and I will have the agony (:p) of watching my 'peers' gain 5 levels on my characters while I wait for access...but there is no one to blame other than myself for lack of foresight. The offer was transparent and advertised widely.

I'm not going to minimise the importance of customer loyalty, but when it comes to game subscriptions it has far less impact than it does in other markets and as a term is used incorrectly by most players that use it (that is, to get over and above that which our subscription entitles us to). MMOs are not a box of cornflakes or a tin of baked beans or a certain laundry product etc. etc. HOWEVER, subscribers were given a 50% reduction on the price of the expansion, so loyalty was rewarded in this instance a fact you have conveniently forgotten in your "gimme more for nothing" whine.

Edited by KariTalRathe

Haha, yep. That's people for you. I doubt the OP is in this boat, but I guarantee you there is someone out there whining about this when they whined previously about not having enough info. Some of us had faith and told them that the expansion would be good. That it would be more than just a tiny planet and a few xp levels. They said we were wrong. Well... :t_cool:

I do have early access, it just sucks that some of our guildies wont be able level with all our guidies with 50's. We are putting together leveling groups, and now have 2 weeks worth scheduled leveling groups, those who have early access, and those who dont.

Ha, I just preordered a few days ago...I had no idea I wouldn't have early access until I saw this thread. :o

So what your saying is you didn't read what you bought? Cause it clearly says this on the pre-order page:

Players WHO HAVE ALREADY PRE-ORDERED by January 7, 2013 will receive 5 days of Early Access** beginning April 9, 2013 as well as the 3 items listed above.

It was all spelled out along with everything else you do get.

So what your saying is you didn't read what you bought? Cause it clearly says this on the pre-order page:

It was all spelled out along with everything else you do get.

Yep, I didn't read it. I"m also not too torn up about it either. However, I just assumed I'd get early access for preordering, you know...like every other game on the market. Never seen a preorder date limit, especially not so far out.

But again, I don't care either way :)

Edited by Vember

Yep, I didn't read it. I"m also not too torn up about it either. However, I just assumed I'd get early access for preordering, you know...like every other game on the market. Never seen a preorder date limit, especially not so far out.

it seems quite a few people did this, they knew they wanted the expansion pack, saw the cheap price, and just purchased it without looking to much into it... things like that happen all the time, and can happen with anything. People are more used to ignoring descriptions, and disclosures these days with online purchases, as we have been bombarded with them over the past 10+ years.

So I have guild mates who just came back and started playing SWTOR again, and are just finding out about the Expansion Pack. He just found out that you can pre-order for the Expansion pack is availiable, but a guildie brought up a good point that I couldn't answer.

If you are a sub, and pre-order the game, prior to the 5 day early access... why can you not get the early access? I had no good answer for this, and honestly I agree with him. His view on this was early access should granted to anyone who is a sub, and pre-orders the expansion, as long las they are in before the start of the 5 day access.

He also went on to state "This is a digital content ONLY, you cannot purchase a retail/hard copy of the expansion pack, so if you cannot get the early access, then why even pre-order it, its not like there will be a shortage". I did explain the pre-orders come with a few exclusive things.

I still kind of have to agree with him a bit, I feel like subs should get early access if they pre-order the game prior to the 5 day early access... after all, we do give monthly income to the game, why wouldn't they want the loyal playerbase, who continues to stay faithful and pay for the game monthly acess to the new content for the game.

We commit our funds monthly to the game, and if we pre-order then we are showing further loyality and committment to the game. Maybe I am just jaded by speaking with my guildmate, which is why I brought this here. What do you guys think?

Because it was a limited time offer, and the limited time has expired. I would almost bet good money that your guildies received emails referring to this expansion and the offer to purchase, and they either:

A) Ignored the emails,

B) Deleted the emails, or

C) Had for some reason blocked BioWare from sending them any emails about the game.

Sorry they missed out. It's only 5 days. It'll be over before you know it.

Edited by Kubernetic

You know what. Kudos to you for at least admitting to not reading. These days with digital items it really is best to read the fine print and not assume.

Kudos either way, It's more than I can say for the OP.

first off they posted the dead line to get early access with the preorder. second you get a discount on the price for preordering. if you wait until after the release the cost doubles to $20 instead of $10