Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"

but this one is hair facial features eye color and even race... its a bit more then hair color and a beard...

The outrage is primarly directed at regular cosmetic changes (hair/facial hair/tattoos/jewelry) rather than race change. Take OP for instance:

BW should either take out species changing or leave it in the CM... BUT make the rest of the "Barber Shop" not cost CC. Make it ingame currency.

as well as myself and quite a few others in this thread, that is primarily the stance. Minor cosmetic changes for ingame currency, good, for cartel coins, bad. Racial change for cartel coins, okay.

As for skin/eye colour, not many seem to be mentioning that at all, probably due to not caring much. I agree that those two things aren't "common" barber shop features, least not from my experience, but that's not what people are on about...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to pop in and address some of your concerns about our barbershop and its use of Cartel Coins and not credits. There are a couple of design implications that go into these decisions I wanted to highlight in the hopes that it makes our decision in this regard a bit clearer.

• We very consciously design these systems around the fact that subscribers get monthly Cartel Coin grants. Pricing, etc. has these monthly grants in mind to ensure that our subscribers have access to these systems.
  • We want to set the expectation that cosmetic systems like these are where you are going to see us use the Cartel Market. It is our continued philosophy that we will not implement a form of pay to win so cosmetic systems and other non-game impacting features are our best opportunities to make additions to the Cartel Market.

As we continue to release more information about our barbershop please continue to give us your feedback.

-eric

Eric,

The issue I have is that there was no mention of whether or not subscribers can get this as a legacy perk/off the GTN or some other way OTHER than Cartel Coins. As long as there is an alternative option for subscribers, as with everything else, then there isn't a problem.

At the moment, the announcement only said CC and that's an issue. We already PAY you to play the game. If there is an option to alter out characters - it should be made available to us NOT charged to us.

I have a number of issues with the Cartel Market (cash for rep, gambling, undermining crafters, cash grabs) but this isn't one of them. Character customisation isn't a core feature and it's the sort of thing most MMOs like to charge for. I wish they didn't, but the reality is that most do so it was inevitable this one would too.

That said, I think they should throw subscribers a bone here and make haircuts free for subs, or at least only cost credits for subs. Everything else they can charge Cartel Coins for - body shape, race change, cosmetic surgery etc - as these are major character changes. But a simple haircut? Seems excessive to charge coins for this.

It would be nice to experiment with some different hairstyles without getting constantly nickel and dimed for it. However, this is probably the very reason they will want to charge for it because the evidence so far with the Cartel Market has been that the preferred method business is a greedy cash grab.

I have a number of issues with the Cartel Market (cash for rep, gambling, undermining crafters, cash grabs) but this isn't one of them. Character customisation isn't a core feature and it's the sort of thing most MMOs like to charge for. I wish they didn't, but the reality is that most do so it was inevitable this one would too.

That said, I think they should throw subscribers a bone here and make haircuts free for subs, or at least only cost credits for subs. Everything else they can charge Cartel Coins for - body shape, race change, cosmetic surgery etc - as these are major character changes. But a simple haircut? Seems excessive to charge coins for this.

It would be nice to experiment with some different hairstyles without getting constantly nickel and dimed for it. However, this is probably the very reason they will want to charge for it because the evidence so far with the Cartel Market has been that the preferred method business is a greedy cash grab.

MMOs charge for unlocking barber shop items. The barber shop itself that you go to to change for items already unlocked on your account is in-game currency. What MMO charges real money to use the barber? Not unlock a new item like uniform, hair style, etc but actually using the barber feature?

People keep saying this is normal but when asked to supply the name of the MMOs that do what Eric described, then only answer received is Crickets Online.

I wanted to pop in and address some of your concerns about our barbershop and its use of Cartel Coins and not credits. There are a couple of design implications that go into these decisions I wanted to highlight in the hopes that it makes our decision in this regard a bit clearer.

• We very consciously design these systems around the fact that subscribers get monthly Cartel Coin grants. Pricing, etc. has these monthly grants in mind to ensure that our subscribers have access to these systems.
  • We want to set the expectation that cosmetic systems like these are where you are going to see us use the Cartel Market. It is our continued philosophy that we will not implement a form of pay to win so cosmetic systems and other non-game impacting features are our best opportunities to make additions to the Cartel Market.

As we continue to release more information about our barbershop please continue to give us your feedback.

-eric

Ugh, this EA and it's constant money grab. This cartel market is ruining this game. It should all be lootable and if someone wants to pay for it then let them pay for it. EA/Bioware may have the masses buffalo'd into thinking that this game needs this horrible exploit but those of us who know EA as one of the greediest entities on this planet know otherwise. Same company who declared that micro transactions will be in every game. So you guys give us 500 coins a month. Changing your skin color will cost what 1400 cartel coins? I loathe this cartel market. I enjoy some of the cool items that come from it but you are robbing the players of immense fun by allowing it to be bought only and not looted. I guess we should all be thankful that people like turd sandwiches and will continue to throw money at this scam so we can get the stuff on the GN for relatively cheap but once again it should all be lootable.

MMOs charge for unlocking barber shop items. The barber shop itself that you go to to change for items already unlocked on your account is in-game currency. What MMO charges real money to use the barber? Not unlock a new item like uniform, hair style, etc but actually using the barber feature?

People keep saying this is normal but when asked to supply the name of the MMOs that do what Eric described, then only answer received is Crickets Online.

wow what don't people get about it being more then just changing hair?????????????? It also includes facial features and even race.

Very very few games allow more then a simple hair cut without paying. If you were expecting it to be free then you were only fooling yourself.

wow what don't people get about it being more then just changing hair?????????????? It also includes facial features and even race.

Very very few games allow more then a simple hair cut without paying. If you were expecting it to be free then you were only fooling yourself.

Name the ones that charge. Another thread listed the ones that don't.

I used hair as example only. The ones I know can change facial features and everything you listed and NOT charge real world cash per visit. For unlocking options, yes they charge. But NOT PER VISIT.

Again, name one. Just one.

also I said "Not unlock a new item like uniform, hair style, etc" So what part of uniform and etc do you not understand?

Edited by Jacen_Starsolo

Name the ones that charge. Another thread listed the ones that don't.

I used hair as example only. The ones I know can change facial features and everything you listed and NOT charge real world cash per visit. For unlocking options, yes they charge. But NOT PER VISIT.

Again, name one. Just one.

also I said "Not unlock a new item like uniform, hair style, etc" So what part of uniform and etc do you not understand?

Rift charged for recustimization, AoC charges, DDO, FFXII, the list goes on of MMOs that charge for changing things.

Andryah as I said before did you read the forums? We were talking about how the game launched. The game launched perfectly. They did the title justice. They implemented a system that was never done before and it back fired on them. But hey lets see Blizzards other titles? Yup. Please, keep trying to prove Blizzard is bad at knowing how to make a game.

This has probably already been pointed out but you're living in a fantasy world.

Blizzard President Admits to Botched Diablo 3 Launch

Rift charged for recustimization, AoC charges, DDO, FFXII, the list goes on of MMOs that charge for changing things.

Rift and AOC both charge in game currency for changing appearance, not real life currency...

And they even screwed up bald a patch or two back. My bald jedi is now sporting a reverse mohawk buzzcut style.

Some of the hair options are just stupid, like they're there just for filler. Like the thing that looks kind of like cornrows, but not really...couldn't find a picture of it because nobody (and I mean nobody) uses it! Come on guys, surely we can do a little better than that. Half of the Imperial Fleet has a serious hair loss problem.:csw_yoda:

At mmorpg.com they have a list or around 500 f2p games, all but a few charge real money for customization.

And how many of those are big time MMO's? And how many offer subs? Out of those how many charge rl money for these things?

I dont want to change my other features... only my hair. So now youre making it even worse by saying "Hair is usually free but in this game youre being forced to pay since its a part of the rest"?