Why isn't there a WZ quitters cooldown?

bodhisattvasw

There are many games that already have match making systems for their pvp. I'm not a developer. If I was trust me, this would have been in place at launch. I don't care how the system is done, I just care that it gets done. And I realize that it would help with all these other things people love to complain about.

In regards to your solution of freezing someone, why not bolster someone instead? Nobody likes to be stunned is my only qualm with your idea. Instead of stopping someone from playing on the other team, why not bolster the damage and/or healing output of the team that lost the player that quit to compensate?

Yes, a sort of outnumbered buff. I've seen that before. And in a small space like a warzone it could actually work.

Couldn't be too great a buff though to compensate for only one player.

Matchmaking would be good, but only to the point of attempting to make a balanced match, without getting so obsessed with it that the queue never manages to pop. Unbalanced match is better than no match.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please stop with this ridiculous idea of freezing players. If I became frozen for ANY amount of time because someone disconnected or rage quit, I would never pvp again. And no amount of comms would make up for the unbelievable frustration that would come from being frozen due to people quitting.

In fact, people would start doing it on purpose to grief the other team.

It's funny that we have at least 1 'WZ quitters" thread at least once a month since the game has been out and people still have no idea how to fix the actual problem. Everyone is focused on what to do with the players that quit instead of asking the important question - WHY are they quitting?

Fix that first.

And in case you don't know why people quit, it's because they feel like they don't have a chance to win. This is usually because one team has the most skilled players or a better group composition. If you fix this, you may not entirely fix people leaving, but people will want to stay if they know they have a decent chance of winning.

We need individual ratings for pvp so we match equally skilled players against equally skilled players. Then you'll stop the wz quitters posts. Then you will stop all the premade vs pug posts. Then you will stop the recruit gear vs ewh posts.

Stop trying to treat the symptoms instead of the actual problem.

While I agree that the idea of freezing people who are playing is a bad idea, at least it's a suggestion that would actually help to fix the problem without hurting anyone if done properly, IE not just freezing one person, but instead freezing the entire WZ, with the team that has the disadvantage having the option to end the freeze period at any time by a majority vote, which would be a constant option. At any time you should be able to change from a no wait vote to a yes continue, however if you favor continuing then unless the balance changes because someone else leaves then you should not be able to change your vote.

The only way that they can fix the problem so that people won't leave would be to completely remove Pre-mades from the same queues as PUGs, involve a gear check which would match you up with people who where similarly geared, and then well it would all come down to skill. There is no way to accommodate a skill check as the only possible skill determinate that would have any values would be a Win/Lose ratio, which then people would be able to affect by simply playing to lose. Remember when people would Derank in Halo 2? I do, it made winning while grouped with them so much harder, just so that they could get back to Rank 1 and play against "Noobs" when I just wanted to play and have fun. No sir I would not stand for that, and my option would most likely be to vote with my wallet.

If they did this, do you realize what it would do to our WZ queues without a cross server option? OMG It would take forever to get a WZ. You would be exchanging all the posts we have now for more QQing complaining about the new matching system, and asking for cross server queues.

Yeah, I expect that is how a lot of people would respond. And I couldn't blame them.

We're only talking about 30 seconds here. Maybe it's an extra commendation per second of frozen-time, or 2 commendations per second frozen.

There's some reasonable bonus there that almost any player would gladly sit through. It just needs to be found.

For anyone examining this idea of the "Freeze Beam" or freezing players, PLEASE check the link in my signature to my original post in this thread.

That thread now has a list of some 7+ variables that I suggest the system should process through in order to determine which player gets frozen. I'm open to suggestions on any of it, but I still think it's a workable idea, solves the ultimate problem, and is able to be implemented, if the Devs are willing to fix this issue.

Thanks for anyone who reads through that list. If it's a TL;DR thing, scroll down to the "Needed Solutions" in green.

Furthermore, there are a few other things that I think are still valid... like stripping the animations before Voidstar and Novare Coast to optimize the amount of time it takes for a backfill.

There are many games that already have match making systems for their pvp. I'm not a developer. If I was trust me, this would have been in place at launch. I don't care how the system is done, I just care that it gets done. And I realize that it would help with all these other things people love to complain about.

In regards to your solution of freezing someone, why not bolster someone instead? Nobody likes to be stunned is my only qualm with your idea. Instead of stopping someone from playing on the other team, why not bolster the damage and/or healing output of the team that lost the player that quit to compensate?

The only thing here is the ability to implement this idea.

I think the mechanics of instituting a focused "freeze" on one player as a result of a dynamic event ("A Player Has Left The Warzone") is going to be far, far easier to implement than a dynamic all-team bolster based on the team member that left. The main reason is that this additional bolster would have to be added on top of the original bolster (which is coming in 2.0, for 50+, and already exists for 10-49) and that seems like a train wreck in terms of feasibility.

Granted, both are possible. I just think one of them is going to be problematic as hell to get right, and the other is pretty easily (comparatively speaking) accomplished.

I will say, however, this is 100% assumption on my part. If an all-team bolster is easier to accomplish and meets the same goals of fixing the warzone quitter problem, I'm all for it. I'm not married to one particular solution by a long shot. But I am bound and determined that this get fixed or I find something else to entertain and amuse myself that isn't as frustrating as 50+ warzones are right now.

The problem still remains. If it isn't fixed... the problem will continue to have negative consequences. The only reason I'm even sticking around at this point, frankly, is the promise of 50+ Bolster in 2.0.

Maybe BioWare hopes that will fix the problem all around. Let's hope. If not, someone better get cracking on a real, permanent solution.

Edited by Kubernetic

No actually I have not queued for Ranked WZ's, as I did not want to do so while I had any recruit pieces still equipped. I also do not queue in groups. I will not now, nor ever will I reveal my toons names on the forums, it creates drama and it's not a situation I enjoy, so I guess you will have to take my word for it, unless you happen to be guilded with me in which case you already would know who my characters are.

No worries, I found it:

• Name of server. Prophecy of the Five.
  • Name of character(s) affected. Mosy.

I'm on your server, but obviously not in your guild. If we were in the same guild, we'd PvP as a group. That's the best part of being in a guild tbh...having like minded people to play with. I suggest you try it.

Edited by TUXs

We're only talking about 30 seconds here. Maybe it's an extra commendation per second of frozen-time, or 2 commendations per second frozen.

There's some reasonable bonus there that almost any player would gladly sit through. It just needs to be found.

For anyone examining this idea of the "Freeze Beam" or freezing players, PLEASE check the link in my signature to my original post in this thread.

That thread now has a list of some 7+ variables that I suggest the system should process through in order to determine which player gets frozen. I'm open to suggestions on any of it, but I still think it's a workable idea, solves the ultimate problem, and is able to be implemented, if the Devs are willing to fix this issue.

Thanks for anyone who reads through that list. If it's a TL;DR thing, scroll down to the "Needed Solutions" in green.

Furthermore, there are a few other things that I think are still valid... like stripping the animations before Voidstar and Novare Coast to optimize the amount of time it takes for a backfill.

30 seconds can win or lose a match. I've won matches by charging in solo at a node being capped by 4 imperials, interrupting them with an AOE bomb, and healing/burning cooldowns on myself enough to keep me alive for just 30 seconds -- long enough for reinforcements to arrive from the rez. I've also lost matches by as little as a fraction of a second, when someone interrupted me when I was 97% of the way through planting a bomb or getting stunned half a second before I finished throwing the Huttball, but at least then it was actual players stopping me, and not the server. Freezing just one person will create far more problems than it solves. I can sort of see the merit behind freezing everyone, but even then, if there's 30 seconds left the the match, people need to either vote to continue or forfeit the match, especially if no replacement is forthcoming, and not make the opposing team wait 5 minutes or longer to get their rewards. (Although I suppose you could get around that by allowing the advantaged team to break the freeze by having one person voluntarily agree to remain frozen in exchange for frozen medals/rewards. Then someone who wasn't in the middle of something could choose themselves. Yes, they would probably pick one of their least valuable players, but hey, a lot of quitters, especially ones who quit because they are losing, aren't so valuable themselves.)

Still, an outnumbered buff would probably work better at keeping the action going, especially during slow hours when it can take awhile to fill an empty slot. And it would be far less annoying.

Obviously, if someone has to go AFK for 30 seconds to have a quick word with the wife or whomever, I understand, but that's real life, not something imposed by Bioware.

And a few commendations per second is not sufficient compensation for missing out on a kill-blow medal, which is something that can be potentially earned in about 2 seconds, if it's the right 2 seconds. Especially for a healer who has a hard time getting killing blows.

I think the mechanics of instituting a focused "freeze" on one player as a result of a dynamic event ("A Player Has Left The Warzone") is going to be far, far easier to implement than a dynamic all-team bolster based on the team member that left. The main reason is that this additional bolster would have to be added on top of the original bolster (which is coming in 2.0, for 50+, and already exists for 10-49) and that seems like a train wreck in terms of feasibility.

Freezing is complicated, especially if you do all sorts of calculations and logical chains to pick the right person to freeze rather than just picking someone at random and letting the chips fall where they may.

And outnumbered buff would be a relatively simple mechanic. Sure, it would take some math to calculate the correct numbers, but say it was a 12% reduction to incoming damage for missing one player, the team with greater numbers would have to actually make use of their numbers to put out more damage to compensate.

30 seconds can win or lose a match.

[...removed for space's sake...]

And a few commendations per second is not sufficient compensation for missing out on a kill-blow medal, which is something that can be potentially earned in about 2 seconds, if it's the right 2 seconds. Especially for a healer who has a hard time getting killing blows.

Just want to clarify... my purpose of saying "We're only talking about 30 seconds here" is to say that's the longest a player should have to wait inside a "freeze beam" or whatever (WHILE earning commendations or whatever) before being released back into the game.

What is it that the "kill-blow medal" is getting you that commendations wouldn't? Surely you aren't claiming that your kill counts or medals are more important than the overall enjoyability of PVP for all, and a little more fairness (At least in terms of OPPORTUNITY to win, not saying GIVING OUT wins) by mitigating the imbalance that inevitably occurs when a player leaves a match? Please tell me you aren't saying that.

Freezing just one person will create far more problems than it solves.

I appreciate you believing this out of hand, but I'm going to have to ask you to substantiate this. How does freezing a number of players (according to a hierarchy of priorities, as listed in my post linked in my sig) equal to the number of players that just quit a warzone on one side (or both sides) "cause more problems than it solves"?

What problems does it create? Again, please check the rules listed in my sig... I'm not just saying pick ANY random member on the other team.

I absolutely feel that if a player is a single guard at a node, for instance, or is carrying a huttball, or is in the process of channeling to capture a node or plant a bomb or defuse a bomb, those players should be passed over for another player, preferably one that is not in combat.

I think if it was just a random selection, that would be chaotic and undesirable. But a selection of rules based on priority of importance would almost always insure that the player selected to be "frozen" was of an equal value to the player that left, meaning as much as possible of the overall mix of the warzone teams will be preserved.

And since it wouldn't freeze the entire team, you'd never run into the "frozen for 5 minutes" problem you were talking about. And if you were being rewarded with equivalent commendations for having been selected as frozen, then any medals you miss ought to be acceptable, at least in my opinion.

Edited by Kubernetic

And in case you don't know why people quit, it's because they feel like they don't have a chance to win. This is usually because one team has the most skilled players or a better group composition. If you fix this, you may not entirely fix people leaving, but people will want to stay if they know they have a decent chance of winning.

I find it hilarious you guys are posting this nonsense about fixing this and changing that, and completely forgeting why people quit

I will again give you that answer, people quit because they are egotistical, self absorbed, and will do as they please without rules.

If rules are put into place then people will think twice about quitting and some will actually learn a lesson.

There is already afk type of players in the game without no rules, those same people quit games and is in the same bracket of people that cry for nerfs, scream in the general chat and ops group, and complain daily.

Blaming everyone else and quitting just shows the attitude and some people can't hack other people being better than them and want to blame team mates and game mechanics over the lack of skill that actually makes a good player.

A good player takes a loss and plays a match the best they can, a bad player quits and screams and rages in general chat talking smash about guilds and crys on the forums to nerf smash, nerf bubble, nerf stealth, nerf sent, nerf powertech, ect ect ect.

These are the same types of people, it don't matter what you change or what you do, they will still complain over an over because these types of people want attention and want to be held.

Don't any of you see only rules will change the way people play?

I mean serious think about it we are dealing with a child like attitude when you think about it,

"I quit, I hate you, its your fault" /throws a tantrum and kicks the dog.

Edited by Caeliux

Just want to clarify... my purpose of saying "We're only talking about 30 seconds here" is to say that's the longest a player should have to wait inside a "freeze beam" or whatever (WHILE earning commendations or whatever) before being released back into the game.

What is it that the "kill-blow medal" is getting you that commendations wouldn't? Surely you aren't claiming that your kill counts or medals are more important than the overall enjoyability of PVP for all, and a little more fairness (At least in terms of OPPORTUNITY to win, not saying GIVING OUT wins) by mitigating the imbalance that inevitably occurs when a player leaves a match? Please tell me you aren't saying that.

Of course not, but it does sound like you are saying that your views on perfect balance are more important than the overall enjoyability of PvP for all, most of whom do not like being crowd controlled, especially when it's not even by another player. Who cares if players rage quit en masse to go to other games because the server stopped them mid-saber-swing from achieving their goals so long as you are assured that people who do put up with it are "balanced" in numbers?

And a kill-blow medal can make the difference between getting credit for a match and not getting credit for it. In some of the groups I was back-filled into, there wasn't enough time for the 75k healing medal, not enough luck for the 2.5k heal medic medal, no nodes left to guard for a defense basic medal, but I did manage to steal that one killing blow to get that one medal necessary to actually get credit for the match, valor and commendations and credits and everything. And besides, killing blows are fun! Sitting around crowd controlled by the server is not fun.

Also, funny how you responded to something that was a personal goal, and deleted a bunch of stuff that affects the team as a whole.

I appreciate you believing this out of hand, but I'm going to have to ask you to substantiate this. How does freezing a number of players (according to a hierarchy of priorities, as listed in my post linked in my sig) equal to the number of players that just quit a warzone on one side (or both sides) "cause more problems than it solves"?

What problems does it create? Again, please check the rules listed in my sig... I'm not just saying pick ANY random member on the other team.

I absolutely feel that if a player is a single guard at a node, for instance, or is carrying a huttball, or is in the process of channeling to capture a node or plant a bomb or defuse a bomb, those players should be passed over for another player, preferably one that is not in combat.

In theory, assuming no one is AFK, everyone should be engaged in some goal or about to be engaged in some goal. Not always ones the server can easily recognize. Imagine, you are in position to catch the ball and carry it to the finish line... but before it can be thrown to you, someone else on the other side vanishes for reasons known only to themselves, and you freeze. The ball carrier doesn't have anyone to throw to. The Hutt kills them for having had the ball too long. Your team fails to get the one extra point needed to win. The server couldn't have known your plan, because you weren't technically in combat nor guarding a node. However, there was a strategy behind your location, and the server ruined your team's plans. Even if you just froze someone who was at the rez anyway, supposing they got themselves killed deliberately just so they could get a fast port to the rez to defend the goal?

I think if it was just a random selection, that would be chaotic and undesirable. But a selection of rules based on priority of importance would almost always insure that the player selected to be "frozen" was of an equal value to the player that left, meaning as much as possible of the overall mix of the warzone teams will be preserved.

Well, as stated above, a lot of people, unfortunately, do not leave because they have family to take care of, but because they can't stand to lose. And, generally speaking, people who can't stand to lose are terrible players who are always running from their game problems rather than facing and learning to deal with them. In other words, no great loss. If they don't want to be there, if they can't so much as have a little fun "death-matching" or run around getting medals so they can at least get loser's credit, then I'm not at all sorry to see them go. Unless it's literally the last minute of the match, in which case I feel sorry for the poor backfiller who won't have time to get a medal. So, if you freeze someone who was actively engaged in something, whether it be the actual match objectives, or even death-matching (which at least distracts other death-matchers -- I've run around away from the objectives just because there were four imperials chasing me and it drew them away from the objectives too, thereby leaving the rest of my team with only four imperials left to deal with so they could extend that bridge faster), it's not a fair trade. One side lost someone who didn't want to help anyway, the other side lost someone who did want to help. Of course, it's different if the person who left was actually a great player who just had to put real life first, but ultimately, that's the risk you take grouping with others chosen by a computer.

And since it wouldn't freeze the entire team, you'd never run into the "frozen for 5 minutes" problem you were talking about. And if you were being rewarded with equivalent commendations for having been selected as frozen, then any medals you miss ought to be acceptable, at least in my opinion.

At least if you freeze the entire team, everyone will be equally annoyed and no one will gain an advantage during the freeze time. And the server won't find a replacement any faster if you freeze only one person instead of everyone. At least if you froze everyone, and the server couldn't find a replacement, someone who didn't feel all that useful anyway could volunteer to be single frozen to keep the match numerically balanced, rather than a stupid computer making a bad choice.

But overall, a buff would be much better and more seamless, since everyone could just go on doing what they were already doing. Although I imagine bad players might be asked to quit, if they were considered less valuable than the buff... so it probably shouldn't be overdone.

I suppose you could also auto-summon one of the ops leader's companions, until an actual player replacement could be found.

I find it hilarious you guys are posting this nonsense about fixing this and changing that, and completely forgeting why people quit

I will again give you that answer, people quit because they are egotistical, self absorbed, and will do as they please without rules.

If rules are put into place then people will think twice about quitting and some will actually learn a lesson.

There is already afk type of players in the game without no rules, those same people quit games and is in the same bracket of people that cry for nerfs, scream in the general chat and ops group, and complain daily.

Blaming everyone else and quitting just shows the attitude and some people can't hack other people being better than them and want to blame team mates and game mechanics over the lack of skill that actually makes a good player.

A good player takes a loss and plays a match the best they can, a bad player quits and screams and rages in general chat talking smash about guilds and crys on the forums to nerf smash, nerf bubble, nerf stealth, nerf sent, nerf powertech, ect ect ect.

These are the same types of people, it don't matter what you change or what you do, they will still complain over an over because these types of people want attention and want to be held.

Don't any of you see only rules will change the way people play?

I mean serious think about it we are dealing with a child like attitude when you think about it,

"I quit, I hate you, its your fault" /throws a tantrum and kicks the dog.

Sometimes they quit because they're family needs them, as well they should, if they aren't addicts.

Good players accept that they can't control other people's real lives, and live with the loss, because that's just life. Or they take responsibility for gathering a premade of people who meet acceptable standards of reliability so they don't have to group with stressed out mothers with four kids, or whatever.

Ragers complain about how it's other people's fault for quitting that they lose. They should've ignored their children, or never queued in the first place! But I refuse to lead premade groups and set my own rules! I demand that Bioware set rules for me and enforce them on every casual gamer in the queue! And while you're at it, don't let anyone who does take responsibility for choosing their own team be in the same queue as me! If I can't be bothered to take responsibility for choosing who I want to group with, I shouldn't have to face anyone who does! (I realize you personally probably didn't read the pages with that discussion, but they're there if you want to go back and check.)

Edited by Dawncatcher

Of course not, but it does sound like you are saying that your views on perfect balance are more important than the overall enjoyability of PvP for all, most of whom do not like being crowd controlled, especially when it's not even by another player. Who cares if players rage quit en masse to go to other games because the server stopped them mid-saber-swing from achieving their goals so long as you are assured that people who do put up with it are "balanced" in numbers?

And a kill-blow medal can make the difference between getting credit for a match and not getting credit for it. In some of the groups I was back-filled into, there wasn't enough time for the 75k healing medal, not enough luck for the 2.5k heal medic medal, no nodes left to guard for a defense basic medal, but I did manage to steal that one killing blow to get that one medal necessary to actually get credit for the match, valor and commendations and credits and everything. And besides, killing blows are fun! Sitting around crowd controlled by the server is not fun.

So basically, your ability to brood over your stats at the end of a match is more important than making sure the match was legitimate. Or, you enjoy any chance you get to take advantage of an 8 vs. 6 or 8 vs. 5 situation.

I can assure you, the team that is down 2-3 players while your team is roflstomping them is not enjoying the overall PVP experience.

Do you get to take advantage of teams that have suffered quitters quite often, or are you just lucky in that you never experienced any of this, or are you just a masochist and enjoy the frustration?

I will grant you this one thing... in those instances where we HAVE suffered 2-3 or more quitters, and we still came back to win the match, those are quite glorious victories. But they are so glorious and feel so great because they are so few and far between. They obviously don't occur enough to make everyone happy with the way these matches go, since so many recognize the quitter problem.

Also, funny how you responded to something that was a personal goal, and deleted a bunch of stuff that affects the team as a whole.

Just trying not to write a book, and already failing at it.

In theory, assuming no one is AFK, everyone should be engaged in some goal or about to be engaged in some goal. Not always ones the server can easily recognize. Imagine, you are in position to catch the ball and carry it to the finish line... but before it can be thrown to you, someone else on the other side vanishes for reasons known only to themselves, and you freeze. The ball carrier doesn't have anyone to throw to. The Hutt kills them for having had the ball too long. Your team fails to get the one extra point needed to win. The server couldn't have known your plan, because you weren't technically in combat nor guarding a node. However, there was a strategy behind your location, and the server ruined your team's plans. Even if you just froze someone who was at the rez anyway, supposing they got themselves killed deliberately just so they could get a fast port to the rez to defend the goal?

True, everyone at some point is doing something in a warzone. But I'm going to call this particular argument "Something Extreme Might Happen, So Let's Accept The More Frequent Clusterducks" or SEMHSLATMFC argument. Yes, if a freeze mechanic is implemented to take a player out of commission while the other team is down a member, someone, somewhere might be inconvenienced.

But you are again, in trying to cultivate this SEMHSLATMFC argument, ignoring the fact that when one team opens in a particular fashion, and the other team immediately, and I mean often IMMEDIATELY, like 3 in a farking row immediately loses 3 members, I can once again assure you that you now have FIVE inconvenienced match members out of a possible total of 13. And what's more, it's 5/5 on one team and 0/8 on the other.

Again, the fact that I keep having to remind you of this once more makes me think you enjoy taking advantage of the situation or that you've never experienced it. I'm doubting it's the masochistic angle.

And let's remember that it isn't the server that would be ruining your strategy at that point, it would be the fact that the match was now completely imbalanced based on a few selfish players abandoning the warzone. All the server was doing is noting that an imbalance had occurred and did its best to fix that balance temporarily. I'm still not seeing the problem of noting when an 8 vs. 8 match has become an 8 vs. 5 match, and dynamically scaling the match to a 5 vs. 5 match until it can be expanded once more to an 8 vs. 8 match, unless the advantage is just too delicious.

Finally, I jump into fire traps to respawn back at the goal in Huttball to run defense all the time. That's just how you play a great game of Huttball!

Well, as stated above, a lot of people, unfortunately, do not leave because they have family to take care of, but because they can't stand to lose. And, generally speaking, people who can't stand to lose are terrible players who are always running from their game problems rather than facing and learning to deal with them. In other words, no great loss. If they don't want to be there, if they can't so much as have a little fun "death-matching" or run around getting medals so they can at least get loser's credit, then I'm not at all sorry to see them go. Unless it's literally the last minute of the match, in which case I feel sorry for the poor backfiller who won't have time to get a medal. So, if you freeze someone who was actively engaged in something, whether it be the actual match objectives, or even death-matching (which at least distracts other death-matchers -- I've run around away from the objectives just because there were four imperials chasing me and it drew them away from the objectives too, thereby leaving the rest of my team with only four imperials left to deal with so they could extend that bridge faster), it's not a fair trade. One side lost someone who didn't want to help anyway, the other side lost someone who did want to help. Of course, it's different if the person who left was actually a great player who just had to put real life first, but ultimately, that's the risk you take grouping with others chosen by a computer.

Yes, I am well aware that the Warzone Quitter Problem is entirely caused by selfish little snowflakes who have to have everything perfect or they start to cry and throw things.

They cannot be psychologically manipulated to just "get interested" in a match.

They cannot be punished to the point of submission and participation.

They cannot be (and maybe just SHOULD NOT be) bribed to participate other than normal rewards.

They will always exist in every game with PVP.

They will always be precious little snowflakes and rage quit.

So why not let's find a system that does its level best to allow everyone else to ignore the snowflakes and get on with our match in a legitimate fashion? I don't want to cater to the quitters. I want to ignore them.

But it's hard to ignore them when I see the 8 vs. 5 roflstomp raining down again and again just trying to do the stupid PVP daily. Forget the weekly if the quitters are filling the queues.

And once more (and hopefully the last time), yeah one side lost someone who didn't want to help, which was bad enough, but now that side that's down a man (or plasma-swinging or gunslinging valkyrie) is facing an imbalanced warzone that is often impossible to recover from. You keep arguing for the supremacy of the advantaged team. You're eventually going to lose credibility as an unbiased observer, at least with this reader.

At least if you freeze the entire team, everyone will be equally annoyed and no one will gain an advantage during the freeze time. And the server won't find a replacement any faster if you freeze only one person instead of everyone. At least if you froze everyone, and the server couldn't find a replacement, someone who didn't feel all that useful anyway could volunteer to be single frozen to keep the match numerically balanced, rather than a stupid computer making a bad choice.

But overall, a buff would be much better and more seamless, since everyone could just go on doing what they were already doing. Although I imagine bad players might be asked to quit, if they were considered less valuable than the buff... so it probably shouldn't be overdone.

I suppose you could also auto-summon one of the ops leader's companions, until an actual player replacement could be found.

The point is not to equally annoy everyone. Good Lord. The point is to make the match as fun and enjoyable for all, given the fact that someone always wins and someone always loses. I'm fine with that.

But don't tell me that if it was 8 Republic vs. 4 Imperial, or 8 Imperial vs. 4 Republic Day in the Warzones that you'd be absolutely gung-ho about playing. I'm not sure what you're trying to argue if it isn't that you enjoy the advantage and getting lots of comms due to quitters on the other side, but it doesn't really make sense. Especially when you keep defaulting to try to tick off EVERYONE in the warzone rather than ONE additional player or THREE out of more than the 10 to 15 players remaining in the zone. What gives?

And the way you say that "no one will gain an advantage during the freeze time" is now making me wonder if you even understand what we're talking about. How is taking an 8 vs. 5 situation and making it a 5 vs. 5 situation CREATING AN ADVANTAGE?!?!?

And okay, then buff it, whatever. JUST FIX THE PROBLEM. But I highly believe that this idea of a "super buff" on one team is an absolute mess. Just stopping to think about the computations to take the 8 players on one side and analyze their damage, health, specs, and then analyze all of the 5 remaining members on the one team to figure out how to buff one up against

And adding some mechanic to freeze the ENTIRE teams, then give one player the chance to offer to be frozen individually, man it just sounds like non-starter. It sounds far too complicated, intrusive, and would completely interrupt warzones as opposed to re-balancing them temporarily with 1-3 people inconvenienced at most at a time in almost every case.

Anyway, we might just agree to disagree. But I'm still having a problem believing you either understand or admit there's even a problem, and in that case, we completely disagree and will forever, at least until something major changes. Maybe as I said, Bolster 2.0 is it. We'll see.

If not...

Edited by Kubernetic

i find it weird (and i really dont think im the only one) that people beleive someone should be "PUNISHED" for choosing to quit a match in a VIDEO GAME that they themselve pay for....dosnt anyone else feel this way? this isnt a "real life" learning experence...you dont learn life lessons about quitting something in a video game...sure its annoying but get over it, there are many reasons to leave a match, and a person should feel under NO obligation to explain or be punished for doing so.

i find it weird (and i really dont think im the only one) that people beleive someone should be "PUNISHED" for choosing to quit a match in a VIDEO GAME that they themselve pay for....dosnt anyone else feel this way? this isnt a "real life" learning experence...you dont learn life lessons about quitting something in a video game...sure its annoying but get over it, there are many reasons to leave a match, and a person should feel under NO obligation to explain or be punished for doing so.

If they don't want to play a warzone match, they shouldn't queue.

If they want to play a warzone match, they should play the warzone match.

If all they want to do is quit, there is already a quit button in the game. Hit Escape, then click Quit Game. Restart the game and then hit the Quit button on the left at the character select screen. Repeat this process as often as you wish.

There's no need to select a character and then select to join a warzone queue and then to accept the queue pop, and then wait for the loading screen to finish just so you can click the Quit button. There are far more efficient methods that can really improve your QPM (Quits Per Minute).

isure its annoying but get over it, there are many reasons to leave a match, and a person should feel under NO obligation to explain or be punished for doing so.

When people have a opinion it ruins other peoples time, having a opinion is a self absorbed thing where some people don't care about anyone else.

We see it daily, its called warzone quitters, the same people that have a opinion about the match and don't feel obligated to give a poop about that match, the people in it, and anyone having to backfill it.

Here is what happens,

They get a q pop, they enter the warzone, the match starts, (here is where the opinions begin, it could be a million things going wrong in the head of the person, and all sudden /CLICK LEAVE WARZONE).

When this happens that match went from a 16 person match to a 15 person match, making one side lop sided and uneven.

Now backfill comes in and takes the place of that quitter, but sometimes that backfill leaves and then its back to 15 people, sometimes when one person leaves 3 other people leave following the same quitter method as the first person.

Let me remind everyone this happens almost every game where the other team performed better in the first 2 minutes, when that team has to try harder to win quitters start quitting.

So now who's fault is it when the quitter quits?

The quitters.

Why?

Cause that quitter should of sucked it up and instead they had a opinion, and since that opinion means more than that match and other people, a game gets ruined 9/10 times.

Them are the facts folks, and Bioware don't want to do nothing about it at the moment, and they want to cater to the crowd of cry babys that quit.

Edited by Caeliux

So basically, your ability to brood over your stats at the end of a match is more important than making sure the match was legitimate. Or, you enjoy any chance you get to take advantage of an 8 vs. 6 or 8 vs. 5 situation.

I can assure you, the team that is down 2-3 players while your team is roflstomping them is not enjoying the overall PVP experience.

Do you get to take advantage of teams that have suffered quitters quite often, or are you just lucky in that you never experienced any of this, or are you just a masochist and enjoy the frustration?

Of course I experienced it. Just the other day I was queueing solo for the Republic while an Imperial pre-made was out winning almost every single match (except for a couple times I convinced our side to try some non-standard tactics that surprised them). And quite frankly, the backfills were often better than a lot of the "we have no chance" complainers they were replacing, but early on in the morning often no one replaced them. And yes, I was mildly annoyed when that happened, especially if it was the same person five matches in a row (you do realize you can get the daily done from two losses, right, so long as you actually finish?), but I never wanted to take it out on the opposing team, who were doing quite well, and ruin their ability to participate, just because there were some hopeless people on my side.

But that doesn't make me a masochist nor an enjoyer of frustration. PvP is an opportunity to live in the moment, seize the day! Even if the match is an overall loss, there are still dozens of opportunities to find smaller victories along the way. Find a lone imperial and win a 1v1! Or if they're way better geared, take comfort knowing you made them waste 3 whole minutes of their time killing you! Stun that imperial ball-carrier and obliterate them right before they otherwise would've scored! Carry the ball across their goal line yourself, even if they're already too far ahead to catch up! Zerg the person who just got the "So and so in unbeatable" announcement. Prevent 4 imperials from moving on to the next room of voidstar because they are too busy trying to kill you, while you run in the opposite direction everyone is supposed to be going, laughing all the way while it takes 4 imperials two minutes to zerg you all alone there. Top the charts on both healing done and damage taken. Be annoying and hit "Disappear" right when they're about to kill you, but preferably when you don't have any DOTs on. For someone who truly enjoys PvP for PvP, and not just for winning/rewards, there is always fun to be had, even when the rest of your team is not doing well.

I will grant you this one thing... in those instances where we HAVE suffered 2-3 or more quitters, and we still came back to win the match, those are quite glorious victories. But they are so glorious and feel so great because they are so few and far between. They obviously don't occur enough to make everyone happy with the way these matches go, since so many recognize the quitter problem.

Of course. If you ever do open map PvP, winning 3 versus 8 (all level cap) is great fun, even if the other people were undergeared and lacking in experience. In fact, I think they should offer pre-mades the option to deliberately be outnumbered. Check a box saying "If we can't get into a ranked warzone, or against another premade, please let the other side have extra people", and wind up having an 8 v 12 rather than an 8v8 (optional, recommended for experienced PvPers only).

Just trying not to write a book, and already failing at it.

I've already given you a specific list of examples.

True, everyone at some point is doing something in a warzone. But I'm going to call this particular argument "Something Extreme Might Happen, So Let's Accept The More Frequent Clusterducks" or SEMHSLATMFC argument. Yes, if a freeze mechanic is implemented to take a player out of commission while the other team is down a member, someone, somewhere might be inconvenienced.

Warzones are fast paced. How often is someone *not* in the middle of something, unless they are AFK anyway, in which case they don't need to be frozen? You could wait 'til an appropriate breaking point to freeze someone, like after one set of doors have been blown up in Voidstar, or give them a 30-second warning that they will be frozen and should wrap up anything they are in the middle of and find a replacement, but by that time, except during slow hours, the slot should've been refilled anyway.

A well-organized team is a delicate thing. Like a house of cards. Take out one piece, and the entire thing comes crashing down. Sure, you can rebuild it fast enough without that one card, but not necessarily fast enough to save the match.

Freezing someone on the other side makes even less sense than the quitter debuff idea. At least the quitter debuff would punish the person who actually quit, often unfairly, if they actually left for the right reasons, but still, not some totally uninvolved innocent on the other side.

But you are again, in trying to cultivate this SEMHSLATMFC argument, ignoring the fact that when one team opens in a particular fashion, and the other team immediately, and I mean often IMMEDIATELY, like 3 in a farking row immediately loses 3 members, I can once again assure you that you now have FIVE inconvenienced match members out of a possible total of 13. And what's more, it's 5/5 on one team and 0/8 on the other.

Again, the fact that I keep having to remind you of this once more makes me think you enjoy taking advantage of the situation or that you've never experienced it. I'm doubting it's the masochistic angle.

You really enjoy ad hominen attacks, don't you? You do realize it's a logical fallacy? Sure I've experienced it, but I take responsibility for doing what I have to do to enjoy warzones without expecting the whole match to revolve around me and do what what I want.

If people on your side are quitting, for good reasons or bad, it's not the opposing team's fault. You shouldn't punish them for other people's choices (or other people's unavoidable life circumstances). There are solutions you know. Like making your own premade full of people who at least have every intention of fighting to the bitter end.

And let's remember that it isn't the server that would be ruining your strategy at that point, it would be the fact that the match was now completely imbalanced based on a few selfish players abandoning the warzone. All the server was doing is noting that an imbalance had occurred and did its best to fix that balance temporarily. I'm still not seeing the problem of noting when an 8 vs. 8 match has become an 8 vs. 5 match, and dynamically scaling the match to a 5 vs. 5 match until it can be expanded once more to an 8 vs. 8 match, unless the advantage is just too delicious.

That's like saying it's your neighbor's dog's fault that you yelled and screamed obscenities at your neighbor, just because the dog barked at you. Quitters are responsible for their own actions, not Bioware's. (Not that Bioware would ever implement your idea, but if they did, for the sake of debate.) And you've conveniently ignored other solutions to balance other than freezing paying customers, such as adding an outnumbered buff or letting a companion temporarily enter warzones.

Finally, I jump into fire traps to respawn back at the goal in Huttball to run defense all the time. That's just how you play a great game of Huttball![/quote

And if the server then identified you as someone who was not obviously in the middle of something, because you weren't technically in combat nor carrying the ball, and subsequently froze you, you would not experience frustration as you watched, unable to move, while the ball-carrier, at 500 health remaining, carried the ball over the line? I would imagine people might deliberately quit just to grief people on the other side with forced freezes.

Yes, I am well aware that the Warzone Quitter Problem is entirely caused by selfish little snowflakes who have to have everything perfect or they start to cry and throw things.

Entirely? Did you completely miss the several pages we spent arguing over whether or not people who quit for family reasons should be punished for being a good father with a half hour or hour or longer debuff preventing them from re-queueing?

They cannot be psychologically manipulated to just "get interested" in a match.

They cannot be punished to the point of submission and participation.

They cannot be (and maybe just SHOULD NOT be) bribed to participate other than normal rewards.

They will always exist in every game with PVP.

They will always be precious little snowflakes and rage quit.

Well, at least those are better ideas than punishing some completely uninvolved innocent on the other side.

So why not let's find a system that does its level best to allow everyone else to ignore the snowflakes and get on with our match in a legitimate fashion? I don't want to cater to the quitters. I want to ignore them.

It will be impossible for me and my teammates to ignore them if I can't interrupt someone from planting a bomb because I get frozen 2 seconds before I can fire a shot at the person planting said bomb. Freezing is the antithesis of getting on. Try something else like an outnumbered buff, or a companion auto-summon.

But it's hard to ignore them when I see the 8 vs. 5 roflstomp raining down again and again just trying to do the stupid PVP daily. Forget the weekly if the quitters are filling the queues.

And once more (and hopefully the last time), yeah one side lost someone who didn't want to help, which was bad enough, but now that side that's down a man (or plasma-swinging or gunslinging valkyrie) is facing an imbalanced warzone that is often impossible to recover from. You keep arguing for the supremacy of the advantaged team. You're eventually going to lose credibility as an unbiased observer, at least with this reader.

You've already lost all credibility with me. All you've shown yourself to be is someone who will cry about how unfair it is that your teammates quit and now it's too hard to win, and will employ ad hominens and anything else you can think of to get your way, rather than take responsibility and create a pre-made full of non-quitters, or at least go along with a more reasonable solution like an outnumbered buff or a companion auto-summon. (Were I the terrible easy moder you describe me as, I would not be suggesting these other solutions. Which is what makes your argument an unbased ad hominem.)

The point is not to equally annoy everyone. Good Lord. The point is to make the match as fun and enjoyable for all, given the fact that someone always wins and someone always loses. I'm fine with that.

No, your way would probably kill PvP in SWTOR as more and more people got frustrated with getting frozen so often, they wondered why they even bothered paying for cable instead of dial-up. At least freezing everyone would spread and dilute the annoyance... but would still be pointless when other solutions like outnumbered buffs or companions in warzones are available.

But don't tell me that if it was 8 Republic vs. 4 Imperial, or 8 Imperial vs. 4 Republic Day in the Warzones that you'd be absolutely gung-ho about playing. I'm not sure what you're trying to argue if it isn't that you enjoy the advantage and getting lots of comms due to quitters on the other side, but it doesn't really make sense. Especially when you keep defaulting to try to tick off EVERYONE in the warzone rather than ONE additional player or THREE out of more than the 10 to 15 players remaining in the zone. What gives?

One player who did nothing to deserve it, and everyone who was counting on them to fulfill their assigned role. It's unjust. And if there were an outnumbered buff, entitled people like yourself would be the only ones still upset about it! Oh no, instead of being allowed to grief the other team and forcibly freeze them just by quitting, we get a buff that makes us stronger! But we still have to actually work at using it! Oh no!

And the way you say that "no one will gain an advantage during the freeze time" is now making me wonder if you even understand what we're talking about. How is taking an 8 vs. 5 situation and making it a 5 vs. 5 situation CREATING AN ADVANTAGE?!?!?

Are you deliberately just making stuff up? I've already answered that question probably at least 5 times now. When you disrupt people's plans, you leave them at a disadvantage as surely as if they'd just disconnected while waiting for a Huttball to be passed to them. Except at least the disconnect wouldn't be Bioware's fault.

And okay, then buff it, whatever. JUST FIX THE PROBLEM. But I highly believe that this idea of a "super buff" on one team is an absolute mess. Just stopping to think about the computations to take the 8 players on one side and analyze their damage, health, specs, and then analyze all of the 5 remaining members on the one team to figure out how to buff one up against

It's far less calculation than asking a computer to find someone who isn't in the middle of something and freeze them. A buff is math, and computers excel at math. Finding someone who is not right in the middle of something too important to wait 30 seconds or longer is much more than math, and would require more intelligence than you can expect from a computer.

And adding some mechanic to freeze the ENTIRE teams, then give one player the chance to offer to be frozen individually, man it just sounds like non-starter. It sounds far too complicated, intrusive, and would completely interrupt warzones as opposed to re-balancing them temporarily with 1-3 people inconvenienced at most at a time in almost every case.

Sure, it's a bad idea, but it is at least less bad than yours. Unless it was a genuine disconnect, the quitter probably wasn't right in the middle of taking a node. The person you freeze might be. At least a total freeze followed by a voluntary single freeze would give someone who doesn't feel crucial a chance to save someone else more crucial. And if you exempt everyone who is in-combat or guarding a node or in an induction or in a strategic location, if a computer is capable of identifying strategic locations, there will often be no one left to freeze.

Anyway, we might just agree to disagree. But I'm still having a problem believing you either understand or admit there's even a problem, and in that case, we completely disagree and will forever, at least until something major changes. Maybe as I said, Bolster 2.0 is it. We'll see.

If not...

I'm having trouble believing you're capable of having a debate without throwing unbased ad hominem attacks against your opponent. I don't think 8 versus 5s are unbalanced! That must be why I suggest perhaps a 30% incoming damage reduction for the 5 in that case! (Or whatever figure the computer/testing decided was good.) Let's give people a 30% incoming damage reduction because there's no problem! That makes total sense!

This is a sensible post.

Perhaps too sensible for people with "oh no life isn't fair we have to fix it!" blinders on to understand.

But I agree with you. Everyone has a right to feel annoyed, but that doesn't mean it's appropriate to go around punishing everyone you see as a source of annoyance.

Situation: You're a healer (who loves to heal and keep a team up) in novare coast and you get a team that consists of yourself, 1 other decent pvper, 3 15-17k sages, a sentinal in lvl 45 green gear, a sage in pve stalkers (shadow tanking gear) gear and a 13k guardian who is dps but in the wrong stance.

Initial thoughts: This could still work out, besides the sent, tanking sage and confused guardian who have no clue about the gearing system in this game, you still have half a team that seems to be doing it right - and who says their team isn't worse?

What happens: One of the 15-17k sages runs to the western node to cap and the rest of your team run south and realises that the other team are all decent players with a minimum of 18k health. the sentinel, sage and guardian drop after trying to keep them up (go figure...) and you are left with yourself the other decent pvper and two 15-17k sorcs who love to back peddle. The other decent player leaves out of frustration.

What do you do? If your answer is anything other than leave the game and not receive any form of penalty, then go shoot yourself.

*note: this is actually happens.

Edited by rickochey

When people have a opinion it ruins other peoples time, having a opinion is a self absorbed thing where some people don't care about anyone else.

Kind of like your opinions.

Here is what happens,

They get a q pop, they enter the warzone, the match starts, (here is where the opinions begin, it could be a million things going wrong in the head of the person, and all sudden /CLICK LEAVE WARZONE).

When this happens that match went from a 16 person match to a 15 person match, making one side lop sided and uneven.

Now backfill comes in and takes the place of that quitter, but sometimes that backfill leaves and then its back to 15 people, sometimes when one person leaves 3 other people leave following the same quitter method as the first person.

Let me remind everyone this happens almost every game where the other team performed better in the first 2 minutes, when that team has to try harder to win quitters start quitting.

I would ask you to prove it, but you can't and we both know that you can't.

It is just an extremely broad, and bad, generalization about the games that only you have experienced.

So now who's fault is it when the quitter quits?

The quitters.

Why?

Cause that quitter should of sucked it up and instead they had a opinion, and since that opinion means more than that match and other people, a game gets ruined 9/10 times.

Them are the facts folks, and Bioware don't want to do nothing about it at the moment, and they want to cater to the crowd of cry babys that quit.

Shall we have that discussion again about the differences between facts and opinions?

Though, this time, you're actually bashing a supposed opinion with an opinion of your own.

Hey Gang,

I would just like to pop in here and offer some of our perspective on this topic. A lot of good points on both sides have been thrown around here, and extending our current vote kick penalty (or something similar to it) to players who opt to leave the Warzone is definitely something that we discuss. However, at this time we feel like the negative consequences of putting in such a system (such as hurting players who crash out of a Warzone) don't overcome the potential gain. With healthy Warzone queues, players will backfill into a game relatively quickly (side note: we are receptive to the complaints that you can get back filled into a really terrible position, that is something I want to try to address), and even if we prevented people from requeueing that doesn't necessarily stop them from leaving or going AFK at a point.

All of that being said, I do think the Civil War Warzone specifically has some issues that really shines a bright light on reasons people would leave. Inherently, CW is the Warzone that has the hardest time for a team to come from behind and that leads to a higher percentage of players to give up once they feel like the game is lost (and that feeling can occur very early into a game). My team and I are working to try to come with some solutions to this CW issue specifically, to see if we can improve the general Warzone itself and fight some of this problem at the root cause instead of the effect.

Add the ability to choose which WZ's we will join before adding this "penalty". People quit some before they even begin because they hate that particular map. Mine is Buttball. I hate that one so I leave before it starts. I see people do the same with other maps too.

This applies to those who were in the game from start. I don't think backfillers should ever have to suffer for leaving a game.

1. When you deliberatly quit you are ruining the expereince for your team mates, or atleast making the situation worse. It's lack of sportmanship, regardless of it being a game. People claim that a game is supposed to be for fun but they're only taking their own fun into consideration, what about the other seven's fun? Hence, there needs to be consequences. "Normal" sports are for most people intended for fun too but that doesnt mean that it's acceptable to behave however you like.

2. The outer circumstances excuse.

*Real life- If you are in a position where you constantly have to drop because of RL issues this isnt the game for you. Infact, no multiplayer game is for you and it's an arrogant approach to deliberatly put yourself in a situation where you know that there's a good chance that you will have to bail on the rest. Perhaps it's possible for you to work something out with your guildies while raiding, if so great, but it is not possible in normal warzones where atleast half the team is made up by strangers.

*Connection - If your connection drops you to the extent that it can be considered a problem then it's really time to take care of that problem before going online again. The vast majority, if not all, here have been thrown out to lobby or had some disconnect but it has little to no effect on the bigger picture. I'm willing to trade one debuff per month, because that's about as often I drop for no apparent reason, for not having three people quit in a good deal of games on behalf of "we're not satisfied with how this turned out". Pros vs cons and the pros of a debuff is in the normal user's favor.

Edited by MidichIorian

Don't need to remove speeders, just make it take longer to reach the nodes. I've been in matches where my team will completely decimate the other team on a node and we simply can't capture it because people get there to fast. And I've been on the other side of it where my teams just hurling meat into the grinder yet we still kept the node.

And I would really hate to see a leave penalty without being able to filter a warzone. Whatever metrics you find are pointless, i'm either going to filter it out and the team gets someone more likely to do the map. Or they get me and I leave the match and they have to wait about a minute for the next guy to load. And if i'm filling in for someone who already quit. That means the team is likely to start short a man.

And if your about to say I won't leave if there's a penalty, no I will. I'll just call it a smoke break.

Edited by Calitri

So they would be AFK kicked, and still have the cooldown.

ANY kick of a warzone should trigger a cooldown, regardless, and of course AFK checks should be automatic.. Rift essentially eliminated botters, quitters, and AFKers in their Scenarios, you'd think SWTOR would do the same thing. It can't be hard to add this.

Cycling NINE players in a single WZ is pathetic.

Rift was a pretty good game, if 2.0 comes out and it's trash I will probably go back to rift and buy the storm legion xpac...

Anyhow I kinda agree with you here on people just leaving the warzones, it creates a problem in the match by making the teams unbalanced... Not fair for those who would like to try and stick it out to see if they can get a win. I know alot of people that quit at the first sign of a resistance. I mean quit games that just started because the other team caped a node or scored a point.. I tend to win matches like taht alot , but you always have that guy who is looking for an easy win.

This applies to those who were in the game from start. I don't think backfillers should ever have to suffer for leaving a game.

1. When you deliberatly quit you are ruining the expereince for your team mates, or atleast making the situation worse. It's lack of sportmanship, regardless of it being a game. People claim that a game is supposed to be for fun but they're only taking their own fun into consideration, what about the other seven's fun? Hence, there needs to be consequences. "Normal" sports are for most people intended for fun too but that doesnt mean that it's acceptable to behave however you like.

2. The outer circumstances excuse.

*Real life- If you are in a position where you constantly have to drop because of RL issues this isnt the game for you. Infact, no multiplayer game is for you and it's an arrogant approach to deliberatly put yourself in a situation where you know that there's a good chance that you will have to bail on the rest. Perhaps it's possible for you to work something out with your guildies while raiding, if so great, but it is not possible in normal warzones where atleast half the team is made up by strangers.

*Connection - If your connection drops you to the extent that it can be considered a problem then it's really time to take care of that problem before going online again. The vast majority, if not all, here have been thrown out to lobby or had some disconnect but it has little to no effect on the bigger picture. I'm willing to trade one debuff per month, because that's about as often I drop for no apparent reason, for not having three people quit in a good deal of games on behalf of "we're not satisfied with how this turned out". Pros vs cons and the pros of a debuff is in the normal user's favor.

This guy gets it. ^

+1