Since When Is Mob Grinding An Exploit ?

MinkyMike

I do not understand how people think that mob grinding on a level 50 planet is an exploit. News flash back in the olden MMO days guess what YOU HAD TO MOB GRIND. Why should it matter what zone/planet a person has there character grinding exp its not an exploit to have a group with you doing it. There is no difference between going to a zone and just killing the same mobs over and over than being in a group killing said mobs. If this was the "other" mmo people would be perfectly fine having a high level friend take them to a high level zone to kill mobs for alot of exp. What makes this so different ? Nothing! Just get over your selfs and stop being butthurt over people power leveling when it does not even effect you.

Your Logic : If they level by killing mobs they dont need for a quest or more mobs than they need for a quest its an exploit.

Your Logic : If they dont level the way I did its an exploit.

Your Logic : If they dont level the way I want them to its an exploit.

Your Logic : If they dont have fun the way I want them to its an exploit.

See how dumb your logic sounds?

Edited by MinkyMike

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess you weren't around at launch when EA/BW made it flat out known that this is an exploit. You are not supposed to take your friends to Ilum, etc with your ship or use priority travel and then the planet shuttle.

The system is flawed yes, but it is still an exploit. :rolleyes: People should be greatful they didn't have to face a ban like those near launch did.

Edited by Eillack

Guess you weren't around at launch when EA/BW made it flat out known that this is an exploit. You are not supposed to take your friends to Ilum, etc with your ship or use priority travel and then the planet shuttle.

The system is flawed yes, but it is still an exploit. :rolleyes: People should be greatful they didn't have to face a ban like those near launch did.

That was about slicers going to that planet to open credit box's on low level characters. So yea I was around at launch. It was not very good for the market when it got flooded with credits which negatively effected EVERYONE were as powerleveling effects no one. NEVER once seen bioware say you could not powerlevel there.

Edited by MinkyMike

I don't think it's an exploit, but I do think it's kind of lame if new players don't have a healthy amount of other low level people to play with over the next few weeks. There's a reason the game wasn't designed with a 'make me level 50 button'.

I don't really care if someone with a bunch of alts gets their alts to 50, but new players are basically skipping the whole game this way, and I worry they might not stick around long that way.

I'm just for removing the bolster. It's only really boosting people by 4 levels or so at max anyways - at least that's all it was intended for, problem is its actually boosting them by closer to 50 ... apparently permenantly.

I

Your Logic : If they level by killing mobs they dont need for a quest or more mobs than they need for a quest its an exploit.

Rofl - I wasn't offended by this but I, in all sincerity, just found this really funny. It reminds me of a bit from the Sarah Silverman Show.

"This is what you sound like: 'Mnah bleh bleh bleh'"

Edited by Jagrevi

I do not understand how people think that mob grinding on a level 50 planet is an exploit. News flash back in the olden MMO days guess what YOU HAD TO MOB GRIND. Why should it matter what zone/planet a person has there character grinding exp its not an exploit to have a group with you doing it. There is no difference between going to a zone and just killing the same mobs over and over than being in a group killing said mobs. If this was the "other" mmo people would be perfectly fine having a high level friend take them to a high level zone to kill mobs for alot of exp. What makes this so different ? Nothing! Just get over your selfs and stop being butthurt over people power leveling when it does not even effect you.

There is a difference between grinding mobs in a level 40 zone if you are level 39 and grinding level 50 mobs in a level 50 zone if you are level 1.

In that other game, a level 1 grouped with a 90 killing mobs in a level 90 zone suffers a severe loss of xp due to the level difference. That applies in this game also. Let's see how much xp you gain at level 12 in Black Talon if you get a 50 to run you through versus how much xp you get at level 12 by running Black Talon in a group of level 12's.

Mob griding for EXP is different than Power Leveling. The heyday of having to grind mob after mob is done and gone unless you play a Final Fantasy MMO as Squeenix seems to love this aspect. Power Leveling on the other hand while not bad does tend to lead to people not really knowing how to play their class. The same can be said for leveling with a companion too but imo not as much. With PL'ing you have new tanks who are not the focus of the mob so they are not learning hate management where as with healers you usually have a PL'er who is far above your level that their tiny heals don't even put a dent in the HP bar nor are they learning aggro managment.

Using a quest (and resetting it repeatedly) is the biggest part of the exploit - not the actual killing of mobs. If lowbie groups on ilum moved around and killed different mobs that's a little bit different. Standing in one spot and "doing a quest" that only level 45+ can actually do... spawning endless mobs through resetting the quest is NOT intended. No way. Reset is for fixing quests when they bug out.

I still think it's an exploit to use ilum on lowbies (but debatable) but I think it's borderline cheating and griefing to reset quest and spawn endless mobs all the while denying level 50s from doing the gree event by locking down a pylon for hours at a time.

Sorry, I wasn't around for this. Nor were MANY other people. Is there a warning sign posted somewhere or do they have yard duties or something?

It isn't an exploit. If it was, Bioware would have put a halt to it by having an "emergency" patch to change it. This is just a case of some nosy busy bodies who have nothing better to do than to involve themselves in other people's business. Mob grinding has been around ever since the first MMO. When one is offering double XP it makes sense to some to spend more time killing mobs and gaining XP then farting around with quests. It's their time, their money and their choice. These whiners need to get a life already.

It isn't an exploit. If it was, Bioware would have put a halt to it by having an "emergency" patch to change it. This is just a case of some nosy busy bodies who have nothing better to do than to involve themselves in other people's business. Mob grinding has been around ever since the first MMO. When one is offering double XP it makes sense to some to spend more time killing mobs and gaining XP then farting around with quests. It's their time, their money and their choice. These whiners need to get a life already.

Huh? Just because it hasn't been emergency patched doesn't mean it isn't an exploit. There have been exploits in other games that have lasted days, weeks, or months - or even years for a free teleport in a certain zone in Everquest.

I can't understand why anyone would WANT to power level here. In other 'grind' based MMO's of the past and present, yes I could maybe see some logic, but on this game it is story driven. The story is crafted so it progresses your character through the levels and sees you arrive at the required level for the next planet and so on...

Anyone blasting up to level 30 or something before they are finished on Tython has gimped the full game for themselves really. Yes they may be able to walk around killing everything in one shot but that is not for me. I want to level with the story and enjoy the game.

I expect 90% of the people pwoer leveling in this way already have level 50s, they just wanna get an alt to 50 as quickly as possiable.

reaklly it's no more an exploit then getting a level 50 to run you through the class quest so your level 35 warrior can be a darth

I can't understand why anyone would WANT to power level here. In other 'grind' based MMO's of the past and present, yes I could maybe see some logic, but on this game it is story driven. The story is crafted so it progresses your character through the levels and sees you arrive at the required level for the next planet and so on...

Anyone blasting up to level 30 or something before they are finished on Tython has gimped the full game for themselves really. Yes they may be able to walk around killing everything in one shot but that is not for me. I want to level with the story and enjoy the game.

Don't disagree with you there. Stories and leveling the normal way are a strength of this MMO and a blast IMO. However, I still don't see why others should care if a player should decided to gimp himself or herself. It has no real bearing on anything.

The arguments are, in broad general terms, : They haven't earned it. They won't know how to play. They have have cheated. The way I see it:

They have earned it. This isn't a glitch in a game mechanic. They kill mobs over and over again. No different than a 50 helping a lowbie get through content.

Learning how to play a class does not require 50 levels. People respec all the time at 50 for example to a skill tree they did not use to level. There are plenty of resources to draw from on what you need to do be effective and lets be honest, newbies aren't power leveling. It's the seasoned veterans who already know the game mechanics who are choosing to skip the story.

It is not cheating. There is no direct competitive advantage gained by power leveling. For many on both sides PvP and PvE, the competition begins at 50. And for others who love the stories it has no impact on their enjoyment of the stories. So... no it isn't cheating at all. If anything peeps that choose to do it are cheating themselves but they aren't cheating the rest of us.

Edited by Rafaman

If people replaced the word 'exploit' with 'loophole' it'd make a lot more sense.

I haven't levelled using this method either, however, with 11 level 50s I can tell you I really don't care to see the story over and over again. Everyone plays for different reasons but I mash my spacebar all the way through those conversations...

Yeah I heartily agree with both points raised referring to my post, especially I agree with the fact that gamers with a several Level 50 characters already, may not wish to go through the entire story again.

I think this should be at least helped by a full character respec option, be it via the Cartel Market or otherwise. You may want to keep all your 50's in their chosen class and have to start a fresh character, but if you had the option of respeccing your Guardian into a Sentinel without having to go through the full game again for example, it might help at least some people and remove the need for bypassing the game just to level as quickly as possible?

Just a thought anyway...

Hating on SWTOR is the new trend for hipster douche bags.

People will complain about anything in this game if you haven't noticed by now. I personally don't give a damn if people use that trick, it doesn't really affect me.

Pretty much.

I also thought the ban at launch was for people gathering from nodes in Ilum and selling them in the GTN. Honestly, if you can beat a mob stronger than you then you deserve respect. I would not have someone carry me but get a bunch of low levels to beat some higher level mobs, now that is a fun challlenge.

No. It's not an exploit and nobody was banned for leveling on Ilum mobs near launch. Also, Priority Transport wasn't added until Legacy was - well after launch.

No. It's not an exploit and nobody was banned for leveling on Ilum mobs near launch. Also, Priority Transport wasn't added until Legacy was - well after launch.

Additionally, you can still go to Ilum once you get your ship. This isn't an exploit, to those saying this is. BioWare might not have intended for this to happen, but if they prevent us from doing this then they will lose a lot of $$.

The "exploit" part of it is the level differential. If you're level 17 and in a group with level 50's grinding level 50 mobs that should otherwise one-shot you, and you're getting experience for it, that's the exploit.

Most games don't let you do that. Heck, even in this game if you're in a flash point with someone too many levels higher than you, you get somewhere between jack and squat for experience points. The similar mechanic on Ilum seems to be broken. Leveraging it to level up is an exploit.

We did that on alderaan with one of the h4 quests. That way you could gain one extra level in no time. From one day to another it was no longer possible to gain exp whe we were together in one group so we tried different things like attacked mob first with low char and then let the level 50char kill the mob without beeing in a group but even taht doesn't work properly. So whatever your problem is from what i know it doesn't work anyways.