Why im bummed about 2.0.

gabarooni

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. And this is why I don't understand why people are so upset. The "new new" is really the "old new" but repackaged. They only thing "new" that SWTOR did was successfully merge the bioware brand RPG with the MMORPG game. It did not implement a successful AAA MMORPG that is "new and innovative" as it was "hyped".

I don't believe that was their intention either, as stated in an interview last March:

Richard and Dallas began with the high level goals of The Old Republic: to reach 1,000,000 subscribers, and to innovate carefully, by introducing Bioware’s expertise in storytelling to MMORPGs. Richard explained that they weren’t intending to revolutionize MMOs, just make them better in key areas. “If you offer nothing different, you fail. But we are an MMORPG. We have to have the core MMORPG feel. Our players have to feel familiar as soon as they start.”

server transfers not included is making me discouraged to sub again.

We don't know if that's the case.

As we can see with the PTS right now, the transfer system that they say is supposed to be the groundwork for future transfers is far from perfect and is causing quite a bit of headaches.

Edited by chuixupu

We don't know if that's the case.

As we can see with the PTS right now, the transfer system that they say is supposed to be the groundwork for future transfers is far from perfect and is causing quite a bit of headaches.

I guess I should hit the cancel sub button then.

I guess I should hit the cancel sub button then.

Only you know the answer to that. But I think you misunderstand my post. I said we don't know that we won't get transfers with Makeb because they haven't said that they will or won't, only that they're coming later this year. That is why they are *in testing* right now. It's buggy. They want to release something that you know, works.

I don't believe that was their intention either, as stated in an interview last March.

One more recent interview doesn't negate all the previous messaging. This is akin to saying that EA ALWAYS intended that SWTOR was going to be Freemium when they clearly stated that they wanted to make a successful subscription game. They "pivioted" because they failed at their initial objectives. They failed to be "the WoW killer" that everyone thought SWTOR would be; EA, BW, and the SWTOR community included. You can not use selective messaging to change the entirety of memory. That only works on some. EA and EAware are all about messaging these days. Their product failed. It is not what they originally intended. If it was: The first round of people that left would still be here, I wouldn't have unsubscribed and we wouldn't even be having this conversation. :cool:

Only you know the answer to that. But I think you misunderstand my post. I said we don't know that we won't get transfers with Makeb because they haven't said that they will or won't, only that they're coming later this year. That is why they are *in testing* right now. It's buggy. They want to release something that you know, works.

I see, understood.

2.0 is free to all players. You don't have to pay for it, and you can level to 55, get new skills and new talent trees. Everything that is on the PTS will be free for everyone, not the expansion.

ROTHC is the expansion and requires you to pay for it.

has BW actually said that?

One more recent interview doesn't negate all the previous messaging. This is akin to saying that EA ALWAYS intended that SWTOR was going to be Freemium when they clearly stated that they wanted to make a successful subscription game. They "pivioted" because they failed at their initial objectives. They failed to be "the WoW killer" that everyone thought SWTOR would be; EA, BW, and the SWTOR community included. You can not use selective messaging to change the entirety of memory. That only works on some. EA and EAware are all about messaging these days. Their product failed. It is not what they originally intended. If it was: The first round of people that left would still be here, I wouldn't have unsubscribed and we wouldn't even be having this conversation. :cool:

This was a year ago...not exactly recent. But I honestly don't recall seeing the developers saying otherwise. I'm not saying they didn't, just that I didn't see it. I have posts from another forum where we were discussing it prior to release and a lot of the talk was "it's going to be WoW with a Star Wars skin". If you have prior interviews from the project leads where they contradicted that statement then I'll just agree that is the case. It's just always been my impression that fans and bloggers blew everything out of proportion.

This was a year ago...not exactly recent. But I honestly don't recall seeing the developers saying otherwise. I'm not saying they didn't, just that I didn't see it. I have posts from another forum where we were discussing it prior to release and a lot of the talk was "it's going to be WoW with a Star Wars skin". If you have prior interviews from the project leads where they contradicted that statement then I'll just agree that is the case. It's just always been my impression that fans and bloggers blew everything out of proportion.

Fri, Oct 24, 2008 WoW is the target for The Old Republic, says LucasArts and EA

The hype was Started by EA and Lucas Arts. :cool:

Who started the hype doesn't matter, it happens for every new product in a saturated market, whatever the company behind says.

The original quote by chuixupu was about game design. BW never intended to be innovative with never seen before features all over the place, just to use the same model that's popular (WoW) and make a few things better (story, leveling, ...)

The overhyping came from the community, because a lot of people never really listened to what the devs said and then started to twist everything based on what they wanted.

It's exactly what's happening to the OP, BW never said anything about adding new ways to play or anything but somehow the OP expected more and is now dissapointed.

I would love to know what the Development teams plan for the future of Star Wars The Old Republic, that is if they have one.

At the moment it feels that with the level increase all the gear that people have worked hard for is becoming junk, all those op runs and HM flash point runs is rubbish. Those augment slots and augments all have to be replaced, in short the grind starts all over again for 5 levels.

But those 5 levels don't bring any new Class or Companion Story, they don't infact bring any new story unless you pay for ROTHC. One new Op which is good news and a bunch of flash points already in the game will be made harder for level 55. Oh and an achievement system that seems to encourage replaying aspects of the game multiple times or hunting for lore objects so you can show others you truely have no life.

Now it can be guessed at that when Class Story continues that will be more levels added to the game at which point this will all start over again. What you work hard for now will be given for daily coms when that happens and a new level 60 gear will be available.

Now I appreciate that this is the nature of MMO's and new gear but BW seem to have pushed this through with little thought to the experience of the game. Dumping a new grind on players but with little else added, unless you purchase the expansion and even then its more the 50 to 55 than making people want to get that level 55 gear so they can experience new aspects of the game.

Fair enough, getting people excited for a product is normal, however there is nothing in that article that contradicts Rich Vogel's statement. It even says there that the only differentiating feature is the story aspect. They thought bringing Bioware's storytelling to a standard MMO would be hugely successful; They were wrong.

I was really hoping that as future expansions for Swtor came out and it started to stand on it's own two feet it would start to move more and more away from the EQ/WoW style of gameplay. But everything ive seen is the same old gain a few levels and then grind gear till next year. There are no new types of gameplay or progression, no new things to do at endgame, no new types of world interaction or exploration. It's just the same old hamster wheel gear grind that appeases the raiders and the latest gen of MMO players that grew up with WoW (And maybe not even them anymore if you look at the amount of ppl looking or a return to Sandbox style MMO's)

It's a shame really with such games like The elder scrolls online, EQ Next, Camolot Unchained , The secret world etc etc etc all with new systems, new ways to play, end game progression not just for raiders and pvpers but for everyone, and real inovation that Swtor continues to play it "safe" and just add the same old hum drum content.

There not making their "Galaxy" bigger they are just putting in new pixels.

Oh well I know this is just the first round of PTS patch notes and there could be more stuff on the way but to Quote a certain scruffy nerf hearder im gonna say "I got a bad feeling about this".

You are fooling yourself. The base gameplay design is already set. This is how it is. We might see new features and systems but the BASE gameplay design is set.

You have two choices.

Accept it.

Or

Move on.

I would love to know what the Development teams plan for the future of Star Wars The Old Republic, that is if they have one.

At the moment it feels that with the level increase all the gear that people have worked hard for is becoming junk, all those op runs and HM flash point runs is rubbish. Those augment slots and augments all have to be replaced, in short the grind starts all over again for 5 levels.

But those 5 levels don't bring any new Class or Companion Story, they don't infact bring any new story unless you pay for ROTHC. One new Op which is good news and a bunch of flash points already in the game will be made harder for level 55. Oh and an achievement system that seems to encourage replaying aspects of the game multiple times or hunting for lore objects so you can show others you truely have no life.

Now it can be guessed at that when Class Story continues that will be more levels added to the game at which point this will all start over again. What you work hard for now will be given for daily coms when that happens and a new level 60 gear will be available.

Now I appreciate that this is the nature of MMO's and new gear but BW seem to have pushed this through with little thought to the experience of the game. Dumping a new grind on players but with little else added, unless you purchase the expansion and even then its more the 50 to 55 than making people want to get that level 55 gear so they can experience new aspects of the game.

Makeb design was set years ago. This isn't some willy nilly random thing they are throwing out there. They pushed this with a LOT of thought. This is their vision for the game. Behind closed doors they have a set vision and rollout plan. No, they aren't sharing it with you.

My question is if the 51-55 level increase is free to everyone, where is the new free content area to level in ? so what I am reading in this thread is Makeb will be added and everyone will be level 55 already but you have to purchase the new planet ? lots of things in thread seems to be a bit strange to me, just trying to figure it out.. This is TOR stanger things have happened lol....

I was always under the impreression that Makeb was the 51-55 leveling content that you had to purchase, but maybe I have gone crazy LOL

My question is if the 51-55 level increase is free to everyone, where is the new free content area to level in ? so what I am reading in this thread is Makeb will be added and everyone will be level 55 already but you have to purchase the new planet ? lots of things in thread seems to be a bit strange to me, just trying to figure it out.. This is TOR stanger things have happened lol....

I was always under the impreression that Makeb was the 51-55 leveling content that you had to purchase, but maybe I have gone crazy LOL

From the long quote posted from the announcement of 2.0, it seems pretty clear to me that your level cap increase "is included with the purchase of RotHC". So I don't believe you will be able to get to 55 without it. However, the skill tree revamp, new abilities prior to 55, achievement and title system will all be accessible to everyone who plays.

2.0 is free to all players. You don't have to pay for it, and you can level to 55, get new skills and new talent trees. Everything that is on the PTS will be free for everyone, not the expansion.

No, you can not level to 55 with 2.0, the level cap is increased to 55, but you cannot level past 50 without buying ROTHC. if you look on the splash page for 2.0 it clearly outlines in SEVERAL areas that you cannot level to 55 without the expansion.

This is no different than any other pre-patch for an expansion, they are making the class changes permanent, the overhaul of the progression and commendations systems, the achievement systems are permanent, but you will not be able to level or do the new content without the expansion.

you will have to purchase the expansion in order to progress to 55, the 2.0 patch is the groundwork changes to the systems, otherwise people who didn't pay for the expansion would be playing a totally different game ( still have Tionese,Columi,Rakata, etc.) this makes it to where the same game is available, but there is a lock placed on 51-55 and makeb to any who don't pay for the xpac.

I was really hoping that as future expansions for Swtor came out and it started to stand on it's own two feet it would start to move more and more away from the EQ/WoW style of gameplay. But everything ive seen is the same old gain a few levels and then grind gear till next year. There are no new types of gameplay or progression, no new things to do at endgame, no new types of world interaction or exploration. It's just the same old hamster wheel gear grind that appeases the raiders and the latest gen of MMO players that grew up with WoW.

I empathise, but what did you expect? It's a themepark MMO and games like this are like fast food outlets. TOR is KFC not the Fat Duck. You will never see Chicken Liver Parfait on the menu here. It serves chicken in a Star Wars bucket to people who like to eat chicken out of buckets and maybe get a free toy now and again. Most of the regular diners here know what they like and like what they know. They become distressed if you change the recipe or try to introduce anything fancy or new.

I empathise, but what did you expect? It's a themepark MMO and games like this are like fast food outlets. TOR is KFC not the Fat Duck. You will never see Chicken Liver Parfait on the menu here. It serves chicken in a Star Wars bucket to people who like to eat chicken out of buckets and maybe get a free toy now and again. Most of the regular diners here know what they like and like what they know. They become distressed if you change the recipe or try to introduce anything fancy or new.

And there is lots of money in fast food. Hec, it's recession proof. :D

They won't change their course now and make this game a sandbox or some other new concoction. There is too much risk involved. Attempts at wholesale changes have been tried before... *cough, SWG* and failed miserably.

I'll take a bucket of original recipe please... and hold the repair costs.

The expansion contains access to Makeb, new pvp warzones, new FP, new gear, etc. You want to run those, you need to pay for it. If you just want to level to 55, you don't need to buy the expansion.

wait what the funk? is this your first mmo? You will not be able to obtain new levels without paying for the expansion. LvL 55 is for Rise of the Hutt Cartel only, along with the new Ops and Makeb.

Nope. 2.0 is also RotHC, its been confirmed by the devs. So at the moment we do not know which things on the PTS will be available for everyone and which things will be gated by the purchase of RotHC. From the advertising it looks like the 51+ content will be gated.

If they do allow people to level to 55 without buying RotHC what it would mean is that people who don't buy it will be able to get to level 55 but they will have to do so through the existing content and probably the new HM Fps and maybe the new OP. We currently earn xp doing 50 content but we can't progress so all we get is the legacy xp part of it.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins