Please, please, PLEASE fix the camera

Putok

There currently is no way to keep the camera from auto-panning back to front facing (at a nausea inducing pace) while moving. I have never, ever played an MMO where I could look around while moving in order to mouseover, target, take in the scenery, etc.

It's not game-breaking, but this is a pretty big BASIC feature to be missing. Is there any sort of workaround via editing a file? Or was this just a basic feature that was somehow overlooked?

No, I mean that while I'm running, if I turn the camera towards the right, it instantly returns to front facing unless I stop moving completely. It means that I can't effectively target to observe things that are behind me, or to the side of me while I'm moving.

I swear to God whoever was in charge of development is a window licker.

How could you leave out this most basic function?

All the kids who don't know how to kite are just going to troll now. Any pvp'r who is a competent kiter needs this super basic function.

it's like Bioware built a skyscraper and forgot toilets.

All the kids who don't know how to kite are just going to troll now. Any pvp'r who is a competent kiter needs this super basic function.

I almost spit my drink over this post. Thank you for the giggle this afternoon! <3

Edited by Silverveign

Lol. My thoughts exactly. SO many parts of this game absolutely blow me away in terms of how well developed they are at launch, and then for whatever reason they have a camera lacking this extremely basic function, and a UI that completely lacks scaling or customization. Having nowhere neat and tidy to put the chat window, and an utterly inadequate number of VERY oversized hot bars is annoying.

The camera has to be at the top of my list. It's a minor annoyance while leveling, but will be a near gamebreaker during PvP, or any difficult PvE fights that require movement.

Anyone also noticed the way your camera constantly pans in every time it possibly can?

there is a setting in the camera section that detaches the camera from your body which seemed to help some but it still needs constant scrolling to keep my camera at max distance.

Really aggravating. I've never seen these issues in a mmo even on release. Camera design and function should be first year design stuff.

This and the lack of a /roll feature are the 2 most baffling things to me in a AAA release... Not bashing, enjoying the game immensely overall...

But these 2 options just should not be missing at this level of game...

They shouldn't be missing in an F2P.

Most of the design foibles I can forgive as prioritization (like the horrible AH interface), but this definitely leaves me scratching my head.

I had no idea that there was no /roll feature. That's easily on the same level as the camera, I don't know HOW that was left out. I kinda just assumed you could /roll, because you have been able to in every MMO ever made :-p

Agreed! I complained about it several months ago in beta. This is such a basic, yet needed feature that has been in every mmo i've played for the past 10yrs. Not being able to turn off the auto camera forward makes as much sense as not being able to bind your middle mouse button, which coincidentally was the case until very recently. :p

Maybe I'm crazy, or stupid, but I've never used that feature in any MMO, and I'd consider myself a very high level player.

Really?

I started playing DAOC, and it did this by default. Perhaps I'm just used to it, but I can't imagine doing a lot of things without it. How do you target things behind you while you're moving if you don't have the camera set up this way?

Maybe I'm crazy, or stupid, but I've never used that feature in any MMO, and I'd consider myself a very high level player.

Maybe you dont kite?

I know as a player who is a solid kiter that being able to turn off AutoForward is key if I'm getting chased down.

Also when I'm kiting with my camera at a 90 degree angle I like to sometimes click target people chasing me.

Really?

I started playing DAOC, and it did this by default. Perhaps I'm just used to it, but I can't imagine doing a lot of things without it. How do you target things behind you while you're moving if you don't have the camera set up this way?

Jump kiting or strafing usually.

Not having a "smart" camera setting is one of the most annoying things in this game. Every game I have played since EQ has had some sort of camera setting where you could disable the auto centering of the camera.

It is to the point I am starting to disregard the environment and other players while running because moving the camera snap back is so painful.

Lol. My thoughts exactly. SO many parts of this game absolutely blow me away in terms of how well developed they are at launch, and then for whatever reason they have a camera lacking this extremely basic function, and a UI that completely lacks scaling or customization. Having nowhere neat and tidy to put the chat window, and an utterly inadequate number of VERY oversized hot bars is annoying.

The camera has to be at the top of my list. It's a minor annoyance while leveling, but will be a near gamebreaker during PvP, or any difficult PvE fights that require movement.

Totally agree on the hotbars issue. i dont mind the space they take up, i would just rather have much smaller icons. Should be able to easily fit in double the clickable hotbars in that screen space.

Also, in line with the OP, I do find the lack of UI/keybinding customization a significant issue. Not game breaking but definitely a lingering problem. I posted my grievances about mouselook here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=60420

Not sure I run into the exact same issue the OP has with kiting because I like to hold down mouselook and strafe with direction keys so my camera doesnt rubber band back.