Warning on high population servers

StephenReid

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know people called WoW a failure on it's launch and they also called Disneyland a failure on it's launch and look at the two now.

Wait I forgot a third and that is leave the park.

Pretty sure no one is saying this game is a failure... Just upset about wait queues... It's a good thing people have a place to come vent and let their voice be heard on the matter...

This is only my 3rd or 4th MMO but I've never been on one that sticks you to one server and you can never change. One game we can even change servers without logging out. I just don't see the necessity to lock us into one server. I had to log off twice last night and each time wasted time to try and get back on a server that was not very busy but then went full for over an hour. They need to make this a high priority fix. :mad:

What if I wanted to join a friend on another server for an evening, it should be an option.

Edited by DukeWayne

Sorry, an "FYI" post really isn't enough. You need to have a solution to this immediately. I just got disconnected and had to wait through a 10 minute queue. Once the queue popped, I got DC'd again and now have a 15 minute wait.

Last night I had a wait of over an hour and a half -- I just logged off.

This is seriously ridiculous. The problems on some of these servers (like Swiftsure) need IMMEDIATE solutions. None of this "wait and see" or "we're working on it" stuff. This needs an immediate fix. Server transfers, no new character creations, raised caps, etc. There's a number of different options you can take, and I have to imagine you've got some sort of contingency in place for such a thing -- well then do it. If you don't have a contigency in place, then that's just egregious and unforgivable.

Oh, and people on these servers need to be comped play time. YOU (SWTOR dev team) are the ones that put many of us on these servers -- you selected it for us during the early access. So you're responsible for this lag.

Also, will MMOs please FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...START MAKING A FREAKING AUSSIE SERVER. That's a big reason for the insane queues on Swiftsure. The Aussies decided to make it their official unofficial server -- on top of the players that SWTOR already assigned there.

FIX. NOW.

It is especially disappointing to not be able, from a practical perspective, play the characters I started on the first day of early access because of the server queue. I'd transfer them in a heartbeat to a less populated server if possible. Really too bad and there should a way to quickly address the issue.

That being said, this is a great game when I have the chance to actually play the characters I've started.

So you'd rather allow EGA and non-EGA players to sit in hour/multiple hour long queues instead?

MMO's are nothing without friends imo and I guarantee you more people would rather suck it up & deal with queues vs being split up from their friends. Granted no one wants a queue at all let alone an hour plus. Hopefully they can get a transfer system up & running very soon to help. I'm just thankful I'm on a server with all my friends and only have to deal with 20-40 min queue times.

The only way locking servers would really work is if there was a way for people to be able to send their friends some kind of invite to their server to get through the lock. This would at least prevent people with no links to the server from creating a character. Not sure how that would work though.

I'd say the problem is 50/50. Half is that people just are not rolling on the very low pop servers and the other half is that they don't have a transfer system.

Edited by Ravinnmourne

I thought the staggered invites, the guild mandtory assignments, all this was stuff during testing was to help prevent just this from happening. Signes during testing even showed you were headed for trouble and you act like this is acceptible?

I suggest to compensate take a hint from Rift who provided free weekly user done server transfers at least if not better. I also hope this is done quickly. It is getting silly having to be seperated from friends and such.

keep getting disconnected and have to sit in a new que...

last time i didn't even get into the game, halfway through loading screen and back into a que..

its not my internet service, last disconnect said error 2005 which is due to a customer service disconnect or something to that affect.. i don't know, i've been sitting in ques for over an hour though, pretty ridiculous when the que is 20 mins tops.

As many of you know, we're experiencing high load and corresponding queues on some servers. This is to be expected during launch, as a high number of people want to play the game, and for long stretches at a time.

We're monitoring all of our servers around the clock, and we're raising server population caps where required. However, to ensure our long-term goals of server stability and healthy populations, we do not want to raise population caps too rapidly. We want incoming players to populate lower population servers. At the same time, higher population servers will not be 'locked' because we want to allow people to join a server to play with their friends if they wish to.

With this in mind, we wanted to notify everyone of some consistently high population servers. These servers are closing in on their absolute population cap (the maximum amount of players who can be on the server at any given time) and will likely have a queue to enter even at off-peak play times.

We strongly advise you to not create new characters on these servers, unless you are prepared to queue to play.

US-based servers

The Harbinger – US West Coast - PvE

The Swiftsure – US West Coast - PvP

Anchorhead - US East Coast - PvP

The Fatman – US East Coast - PvP

EU-based servers

Bloodworthy – EU English - PvP

Frostclaw – EU English - PvE

Legions of Lettow – EU English - PvP

The Red Eclipse – EU English - PvE

Tomb of Freedom Nadd – EU English - PvP

Darth Revan's Mask – EU German - PvP

Darth Traya – EU German - PvP

Jar'Kai Sword - EU German - PvP

Hrakert Rift – EU French - PvP

Many of you who are already playing on these servers are asking for solutions, and we understand your frustration. At this time we can only ask for your patience. Population caps are being gradually raised on these servers, but raising them too fast will create an influx of new players and perpetuate the problem. We do not expect the queues to alleviate on these servers for the foreseeable future. If you do not want to queue, you should consider playing on another server, many of which have very low or no queues.

Character transfer is a common request for these servers. The ability to transfer your characters is being worked on, but there is no ETA on when it will be available.

Finally, we are also aware of the issues some have experienced where they have been disconnected during a queue due to internet issues, and had to restart their queue once more. This is a high priority for our server team and we'll be deploying a fix as soon as possible.

I seen you Devs were to lazy to add in Anchorhead after forgetting about it so....

I did your job for you.

When will my check arrive?

With this in mind, we wanted to notify everyone of some consistently high population servers. These servers are closing in on their absolute population cap (the maximum amount of players who can be on the server at any given time) and will likely have a queue to enter even at off-peak play times.

We strongly advise you to not create new characters on these servers, unless you are prepared to queue to play.

US-based servers

The Harbinger – US West Coast - PvE

The Swiftsure – US West Coast - PvP

The Fatman – US East Coast - PvP

EU-based servers

Bloodworthy – EU English - PvP

Frostclaw – EU English - PvE

Legions of Lettow – EU English - PvP

The Red Eclipse – EU English - PvE

Tomb of Freedom Nadd – EU English - PvP

Darth Revan's Mask – EU German - PvP

Darth Traya – EU German - PvP

Jar'Kai Sword - EU German - PvP

Hrakert Rift – EU French - PvP

Uhm, you need to add about 10-15 more servers to this list chum...

]

Many of you who are already playing on these servers are asking for solutions, and we understand your frustration. At this time we can only ask for your patience. Population caps are being gradually raised on these servers, but raising them too fast will create an influx of new players and perpetuate the problem. We do not expect the queues to alleviate on these servers for the foreseeable future. If you do not want to queue, you should consider playing on another server, many of which have very low or no queues.

Character transfer is a common request for these servers. The ability to transfer your characters is being worked on, but there is no ETA on when it will be available.

Here's a nickel's worth of free advice to EA next time they want to put out an MMO... do what the leader of the MMO world at the time can do, from launch...

]

Finally, we are also aware of the issues some have experienced where they have been disconnected during a queue due to internet issues, and had to restart their queue once more. This is a high priority for our server team and we'll be deploying a fix as soon as possible.

See comment above...

And when you "fix as soon as possible" make sure that fix includes people that get disconnect from within the game too... not just the queue sitters... a person that is in game already, shouldn't get punished cause the connection to the server got dropped.

T-minus 1 month till mass exodus....

Edited by Arress

I'm glad it's being worked on. I'm on Anchorhead, been playing since Early Access. I've already noticed a difference in queue times, and I trust you guys are working on it nonstop. I've seen too much passion and dedication from the BW team in this game so far, and I know you guys want it to be a wonderful experience as much as we do.

I've been relatively lucky so far with queue times and the like (though I had one #700 that was brutally long)

That said, I appreciate all the hard work I know you guys must be doing and want to mention that the game is wonderful! Please fix the problems soon, you guys are doing great!

To all the people whining, I just want to say that this has been the best MMO launch experience I've seen for the average user. Count your blessings and support the devs instead of raging at them. We're all on the same team here, nobody is actively working to ruin your experience. :)

Got to love it when you're kicked from the server with your char/s while you're trying to create a new one. Just awesome to first have to wait then when you get in and you're creating the new guy you get kicked and have to wait again.

Wouldn't surprise me if they, on the full servers, give you a certain amount of play time during peak hours and if you exceed that you get kicked even if you're in the middle of an FP.