Listen to the PvPers - Ilum again - Content?

CharterMonkKent

The new super small PvP area on Ilum should be...

1. Faction vs faction. Not group vs group. Why would anyone in development think the current set up was a good idea? We don't need another version of Outlaw's Den.

2. There should be more content in this area. 200wz coms (missions offered for two weeks?) isn't enough to keep this area active.

3. There should be a multiplier for wz coms in this area (or any other area for killing equal or above lvl players). 1st kill is 1 wz com, 2nd is 1 wz com, 3rd is 2, 4th is 2, 5th is 2, 6th is 3, 7th is 3, and so on capping at 10coms per. (mechanics added to not a allow for farming, lockouts when killing same player etc etc) When you die to another player (of equal or lower lvl) in open world pvp your kill multiplier goes back to 1 kill 1 com. Multiplier carriers over when a player log out/in.

Was this really the new open world pvp redux of Ilum the devs talking about last fall? Or is that coming with the expansion?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was this really the new open world pvp redux of Ilum the devs talking about last fall? Or is that coming with the expansion?

Topic #2: World PvP – What happened to making Ilum better? What is going on with Open World PvP?

Answer: We have not forgotten Ilum! I think you will see (fairly soon) the answer to this question in the game itself - something big is coming to the Western Ice Shelf, but it’s quite a departure from what was there before. As for pure Open World PvP…well, that’s a more difficult proposition. We are dedicated to providing excellent PvP experiences to our players, but we intend to focus our energy on PvP Seasons and new Warzones. We will be experimenting with a different approach to Open World PvP, something that encourages organic PvP in contested areas in a new and interesting way, but do not look for massive new Open World PvP this year (outside of what I mentioned above). It is still on our design wall, but is taking a back seat to other forms of PvP.

(Taken from State of Game #2)

1. Faction vs faction. Not group vs group. Why would anyone in development think the current set up was a good idea? We don't need another version of Outlaw's Den.

I'm not sure if you remember what Ilum was like pre 1.2, but there were massive imbalances across servers. Even in today's day and age of the super servers, I can confidently say that Jedi Covenant would be dominated by the republic for the vast majority of the time. Making it grp v grp provides an obvious long-term solution to faction imbalance. so I'm cool with it for that reason.

Isn't it Faction Vs Faction in the PVE areas? Last night I was having massive (in my experience) 15+ VS 15+ over the Heroic quest Droids. A few groups of 4s and others solo players on each faction joining in on their side reinforcing.

We drew a line in the sand last night, it was awesome! :)

I'm not sure if you remember what Ilum was like pre 1.2, but there were massive imbalances across servers. Even in today's day and age of the super servers, I can confidently say that Jedi Covenant would be dominated by the republic for the vast majority of the time. Making it grp v grp provides an obvious long-term solution to faction imbalance. so I'm cool with it for that reason.

I was kind of hoping you would walk through a passage that works as a group instance or along those lines. Maybe something that allows a differential of 2 per faction to enter, but then locks until the other side gets within 2 again whether it be by the other side having people enter or someone on your side leaving.

Don't know if that is in the realm of possibility.

Maybe it's server by server. The lack planning by the devs have ruined any chance of this game having an actual war. I guess it's back to defending novare coast another thousand times. Oh wait, I mean defending it 500 times and simulating a defense 500 times.

Edited by CharterMonkKent

2. There should be more content in this area. 200wz coms (missions offered for two weeks?) isn't enough to keep this area active.

[/u]

No, it should be group vs group, not faction vs faction.

as for #2, only time will tell. So far it was hopping on my server.

Isn't it Faction Vs Faction in the PVE areas? Last night I was having massive (in my experience) 15+ VS 15+ over the Heroic quest Droids. A few groups of 4s and others solo players on each faction joining in on their side reinforcing.

We drew a line in the sand last night, it was awesome! :)

Yeah, I thought it was pretty fun the first night out.

Maybe it's server by server. The lack planning by the devs have ruined any chance of this game having an actual war.

I agree that is never happening. If that is what you need you should look elsewhere for it.

A Lexus sedan is never going to accelerate and corner like a Ferrari. Hoping next year's Lexus will is pointless. As Donald Rumsfeld said "you go to PvP with the game engine you have, not the one you might want or wish to have at a later time". The only way you are getting a different game engine is by chosing to play a different game.

BTW, I heard that Guild Wars 2 PvP system rulez and that SWTOR has died in the intervening months since it was released.

I actually like it being group vs group. That should help alleviate issues due to faction imbalance. However, the issue I have is that there is no incentive from the quests to actually fight anyone. And people end up standing in a line to charge the pylon. New groups come along who might want to fight, but they see a blob of 30+ people in the middle and don't want to get stomped, so they just fall in line as well.

It reminds me of the early Illum quests where you had to destroy the walkers to flip nodes. People would just alternate flipping the node since there was no incentive to kill anyone. Eventually they changed it such that you had to get armaments or kill people to get the quest done. That led to more PvP, but faction imbalance made it so that the smaller faction couldn't really get it done.

If they change it so that there's an incentive to kill people I think it will be awesome. For example, instead of charging the pylon 4 times, maybe they could change such that you have to charge it and/or kill someone who has a charge 4 times. That would get people to actually start fighting.

I actually like it being group vs group. That should help alleviate issues due to faction imbalance. However, the issue I have is that there is no incentive from the quests to actually fight anyone. And people end up standing in a line to charge the pylon. New groups come along who might want to fight, but they see a blob of 30+ people in the middle and don't want to get stomped, so they just fall in line as well.

If the queue gets longer than 9-10 then the next person to get in line won't get to turn in before his energy cube expires. In this case, you are better off fighting than waiting. With a little work, a group of 6-8 can usually restore violence.

What found funny is folks telling me I was violating the SWTOR ToS because I was attacking them while waiting for the big droid to respawn.

In, what are you talking about? So wrong. The rest of the planet is faction vs faction. I love the FFA party style pvp.

I just hope these dailies stick around after the event is over..

No, it should be group vs group, not faction vs faction.

as for #2, only time will tell. So far it was hopping on my server.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty fun the first night out.

Why should it be group vs group? Faction imbalance? What excuse are you making for the devs to avoid making factions matter in this game.

Two weeks of time will tell. This tiny area doesn't change day by day, it's the same as the WZ mentality. There are already places where a team of ranged can steam roll vs melee. Unless they are hiding something it looks like our new pvp content for the year (or two weeks?) is another Outlaws Den.

Yes it was hopping on the first night, people jump all over fresh content. But it wasn't anything new, nor did it offer any PvP challenge. The remaining 4 people in my guild went to the new Ilum's Den and rolled other 4man groups for an hour. It was meh. People in PvE gear, poorly formed groups with 4 dps, people running around solo, groups whining about being grief'd. Getting told to go do WZs if we want to PvP.

After 11months in this game I'm still waiting for a decent amount of PvP content. We are standing at a 99.9% PvE to .1% PvP content ratio. PvP is extremely popular in this game as is other MMOs. The developers seem to still miss this. 1.7 will bring some of the pvpers back, but they won't stay unless there is more content.

In, what are you talking about? So wrong. The rest of the planet is faction vs faction. I love the FFA party style pvp.

I just hope these dailies stick around after the event is over..

This FFA style was already in game, Outlaws Den. What people asked for was an open world pvp area with missions and weeklies/dailies. This is outlaws den with 2 missions.

People keep pretending like this area is new to TOR.

Here is the epic new pvp area (from someone's experience last night)

http://i.imgur.com/AVXAA40.jpg

Would pay to see a bunch of agents/smugglers and sorcerers show up and time casting lighting storm and oribital in that area at the same time just to see people scatter. Maybe an army of smashers all leap in at the same time, even if they are going to hit each other, just for lols.

Would pay to see a bunch of agents/smugglers and sorcerers show up and time casting lighting storm and oribital in that area at the same time just to see people scatter. Maybe an army of smashers all leap in at the same time, even if they are going to hit each other, just for lols.

haha. now that would be fun :D

This FFA style was already in game, Outlaws Den. What people asked for was an open world pvp area with missions and weeklies/dailies. This is outlaws den with 2 missions.

People keep pretending like this area is new to TOR.

Faction v faction exists everywhere. Go to a daily spot like ilum or section x and start fighting. Call on other guilds to create rivalry. That stuff is easy.

By the way, you just said it: "what people asked for was an open world pvp area with dailies.." That's what we got, is it not?

Outlaws den didn't work because there were NO missions there hence no reason for people to be there. Additionally, it was a big gankfest with whoever had the bigger ops group winning, and the other side just leaving.

No one is pretending this is new to TOR, what I am saying is that this has potential. Players are forced to a pvp zone to do dailies, including dailies with wz comm rewards (enticing pvpers to come) and the group v group ensures the gankfest is minimized. FFA just means the same faction rivalries can also have it out if they so desire!

Faction v faction exists everywhere. Go to a daily spot like ilum or section x and start fighting. Call on other guilds to create rivalry. That stuff is easy.

By the way, you just said it: "what people asked for was an open world pvp area with dailies.." That's what we got, is it not?

Outlaws den didn't work because there were NO missions there hence no reason for people to be there. Additionally, it was a big gankfest with whoever had the bigger ops group winning, and the other side just leaving.

No one is pretending this is new to TOR, what I am saying is that this has potential. Players are forced to a pvp zone to do dailies, including dailies with wz comm rewards (enticing pvpers to come) and the group v group ensures the gankfest is minimized. FFA just means the same faction rivalries can also have it out if they so desire!

If your definition of open world pvp is 4 people grouped, then sure you've got open world pvp. Have always had that in Outlaws Den.

Most people's definition of open world pvp is faction vs faction battles (not 4 v 4). As you said, this content has to be player created at the moment. This has been a topic of discussion for this game since it launched. The in game pvp content has been exhausted by most of us. There are new players (less than 6 months in) that are still fresh on the content. But many of us with 8 min/max toons and 600+ valor want actual content. Not the same thing on a new planet with people in PvE gear as enemies.

I'm always happy with any new pvp content, and this is something. But I really hope this isn't all we get this year.

So I'm confused about what you want. Epic world pvp (like the ones in my youtube videos) that is faction vs faction and sparked by dailies and weeklies?

Population imbalances will always get in the way. Think back to ilum before and how it was a camp outside the pub base 90% of the time.

I love larger world pvp battles, it's why I organized the events I have hosted. I would love to see bioware do something to get more people involved in world pvp, but I'm happy with this. Non stop pvp action in open world.. Just hang out near that pylon.

after the first hour or so of the derpfest condition known as "killallredarrgggh" ilum practically ceased to have any pvp

was quite surreal to see all red toons patiently waiting their turns to try and cap the pylon with orbs in hand

I prefer the group setup because:

*It eliminates the risk of people winning through greater numbers. Pubs vs Imps was never balanced because one faction would have three times the players.

*it's easier to tab-heal since the only friendlies you have are the ones in your group.

*It increases the chance that there's always someone to fight.

after the first hour or so of the derpfest condition known as "killallredarrgggh" ilum practically ceased to have any pvp

was quite surreal to see all red toons patiently waiting their turns to try and cap the pylon with orbs in hand

I wrote the exact same thing in a small review I posted in another forum. Amazing how people just gave up on it. It's foremost a community issue but BW's part in it can be questioned, they could have added a mechanic that forced people to PvP. But then again, people would probably figure out a way of evading it.

Edited by MidichIorian

I wrote the exact same thing in a small review I posted in another forum. Amazing how people just gave up on it. It's foremost a community issue but BW's part in it can be questioned, they could have added a mechanic that forced people to PvP. But then again, people would probably figure out a way of evading it.

Bioware did their part.. It's up to the people to actually pvp. Those lines make me laugh, glad they haven't occurred on our server