Price Fixing on the GTN : would like your opinion :)

nattodaisuki

Wow! 3 pages. My first post that made 3 pages so far :p

Yes, I primarily do the missions for Bioanalysis and Diplomacy to acquire the necessary mats.

Anyways, here's my total cost to create One.

1) Around One to Two Missions level 17-24 : Bountiful Yield : Grade 2 Biochemical Compounds = 2 missions for Genetic Anomaly x 6 = 940 Credits.

Also, I can go to Imperial Side Nar Shaddaa Heroic-4 area with my 50 Sith Sorcerer and AoE pharm for these, but on a per hour basis, I can harvest more doing missions. But cost wise, it'll cost more since I'd have to include the price to repair my level 50 gear ,,,,, around 20k a run.

2) One Mission level 17-24 : Rich Yield : Grade 2 Biochemical Sample = 1 mission for Microscopic Symbiote x4 = 535 Credits.

3) One Mission level 17-24 : Rich Yield: Grade 2 Medical Supplies (either Dark sided or Light sided) = 1 mission for Molecular Programmer x 4 = 640 Credits

4) Some schematics need an additional "Single-Pulse Implant Processor" x 1 (Crew skill vendor) = 10 Credits.

So.. my total cost is 940 + 535 + 640 + 10 = 2,125 Credits :)

If I sell each at 8,000 (my original price) I make a ... 8,000 - (cartel cost 6% = 480) - 2,125 = 5,395 Credit Profit.

Now, due to several threats in the past, I adjusted my price to 14k each = 14,000 - (Cartel cost 6% = 840 ) - 2,125 = 11,035 Credit Profit :p

Now I'm threaten again to adjust to their 23K price :p

But I'll probably continue to sell them at 14K.

I should mention that I have 6 accounts and I have a "Factory" producing these mats in large quantities? :p

Yes, I'm a crafting addict.

There's a report button at the top right of those mails. Use it, just for giggles. Then, set your companions to crafting overdrive for a day and litteraly SWAMP the market. It's gonna cost you, but nothing beats p-ing those types off really royally. The truth is they CANNOT hurt you.

Oh, and don't post your entire stock on the GTN in one go if you decide to swamp the market for giggles. Just your normal batch at first, see if you see the same people buying it out regularly, check other listings whether you were the original crafter, and when those pop up, post another batch some 10-20 minutes after they relisted yours.

Rinse and repeat untill their only choice is dumping their stock to get out of the trade.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is great fun, thanks for posting. Like previous posters, I agree these people can't really do anything to hurt you, which makes their threats laughable. I concur with many of the suggestions others have made, but I'd suggest also replying to those who made the threats and tell them you're considering their offer, but want to know exactly what they'll do if you don't comply. Tell them that "burning you to the ground" is to vague a threat to convince you. Play dumb, sort of. The response may be entertaining, but at a minimum it should demonstrate you know the gig is up. If they persist, advise them you're considering reporting them for harrassment and threats. Above all, it's a moral imperative that you conduct the market pvp others have suggested to demonstrate that it is in fact you who have the upper hand when it comes to pricing.

Next time someone threatens you follow this steps:

1. Say no.

2. Laugh

3. Wait for them to "burn you to the ground" by undercutting your price, the more the better

4. Buy out their stock at low price

5. Put it back on your price

6. ???

7. Profit!

I have been "playing" the GTN since launch and try to price my goods reasonably. I have never received a threat, but have had a number of whiny emails telling me to increase my prices.

I have gone through a few pricing wars where I felt that a player was trying to capture the market in a certain area by forcing others out. They were great fun and to me make pvp seem like sissy combat.

I think that I would welcome a threat and enjoy the GTN combat.

There are only two who should dictate your pricing. The first being yourself and you should price according to your own dictates and the second being the buyers who will pass judgement on your pricing by deciding whether or not to hit the buy button.

If you have been playing and crafting since launch, you should have very deep pockets, cargo holds full of mats, multiple alts on which to sell, and diversified offerings by now. That being the case, no one can do anything to you.

PS - I have most of the implant schematics and craft them for my wife and myself but have not been selling them other than some extras in the rare case when I have to RE from blue to purple and get a hit before I use up the blues. They do sell pretty well although I have a ton of the needed mats and just sell them as such. The mats bring such a good price that I have not gone the extra step of crafting them and selling the results. LOL, your post shows me that I should look at the math and see if I am bypassing profit.

Edited by asbalana

Report the in-game mail as harassment, put them on ignore and sell your items at a level that you are comfortable with.

Finally! Someone mentions that while the person threatening the OP may not be able to do much to back up said threat, the OP can report these threats and have action taken against the offenders.

I've been crafting and then selling the 1st Tier Purple, Level 21 Implants on the GTN for quite some time (since Launch)

To make these, the mats are relatively easy to acquire.

Genetic Anomaly x6 Microscopic Symbiote x4 and Molecular Programmer x4 - x6.

Note: there are no Purple component (Mechanical Symbiote - needed for 2nd Tier Purples ) necessary to create these

Back in Dec 2011, I was selling these at a reasonable price of 8k each, since it seemed at that time I was the only one selling them.

Around March, a few crafters joined the market, but they were selling at much higher price and I received in-game threats to "Fix" the price of these to 10k or quote.. "We will burn you to the ground".

Okay... 8k 10k, still in the "reasonable" range I thought, and set mine to their liking.

This sort of thing has happened twice since (different characters) and my current price is 14k each, a bit high in my book, but they seem to sell well.

The characters who threatened me to raise my prices have all left the market, because I do not see them selling these Implants anymore.

Recently I got another threat. I've been sent a couple threats in the form of in-game mail.

This person must be the most greediest of them all, and wants me to raise these to match her listed prices.... 23k each LOL.

Hmm.. Doesn't "Competition" make a market thrive?

I do not know if federal Laws apply to activities in a game, but according to Section 1 of the Sherman Antitrust Act in the United States, "Price Fixing" is concidered a Federal Offense.

Since it's just a "Game", I'm pondering whether to report said characters, or should I just /ignore her.

Edit: I play Swtor for relaxation ( I like to craft = relaxation ), but I don't want to be harassed, because then it becomes a irritation :p

Report them for harassment. Explain in the complaint that they are ruining your gaming experience. Harassment is a very serous offense to the proprietors of this game. They will get a week's vacation and the market will be wide open for you to corner.

if you are not up to that, then send them a reply telling them to kiss your light-saber and drop your prices another grand for a few days. Bottom like is that the level of intelligence you are dealing with is very limited if they actually believe they can "burn" to lower seller, or do so with a single item on the gtn. LOL

Boy the last thing I'd do if I got a "threat" in-game would be to give in. I'd probably undercut the crap out of them for the heck of it, and if they started buying/re-posting I'd undercut by a credit.

I tend to list lowbie gear on the cheap side anyways, kind of my way of making the experience as easy as possible for the large number of new players on my servers.

LOL, what crazy server does the op play on? ive been selling end game ship parts since the game released and all end game augments since they were introduced, their prices can fluctuate from 35k to 80k and the market is really competitive but ive never had some weirdo threaten me to "fix" my prices.

Wow! 3 pages. My first post that made 3 pages so far :p

Yes, I primarily do the missions for Bioanalysis and Diplomacy to acquire the necessary mats.

Anyways, here's my total cost to create One.

1) Around One to Two Missions level 17-24 : Bountiful Yield : Grade 2 Biochemical Compounds = 2 missions for Genetic Anomaly x 6 = 940 Credits.

Also, I can go to Imperial Side Nar Shaddaa Heroic-4 area with my 50 Sith Sorcerer and AoE pharm for these, but on a per hour basis, I can harvest more doing missions. But cost wise, it'll cost more since I'd have to include the price to repair my level 50 gear ,,,,, around 20k a run.

2) One Mission level 17-24 : Rich Yield : Grade 2 Biochemical Sample = 1 mission for Microscopic Symbiote x4 = 535 Credits.

3) One Mission level 17-24 : Rich Yield: Grade 2 Medical Supplies (either Dark sided or Light sided) = 1 mission for Molecular Programmer x 4 = 640 Credits

4) Some schematics need an additional "Single-Pulse Implant Processor" x 1 (Crew skill vendor) = 10 Credits.

So.. my total cost is 940 + 535 + 640 + 10 = 2,125 Credits :)

If I sell each at 8,000 (my original price) I make a ... 8,000 - (cartel cost 6% = 480) - 2,125 = 5,395 Credit Profit.

Now, due to several threats in the past, I adjusted my price to 14k each = 14,000 - (Cartel cost 6% = 840 ) - 2,125 = 11,035 Credit Profit :p

Now I'm threaten again to adjust to their 23K price :p

But I'll probably continue to sell them at 14K.

I should mention that I have 6 accounts and I have a "Factory" producing these mats in large quantities? :p

Yes, I'm a crafting addict.

I just farm all but the diplomacy missions.I would just tell them to make like sheep and flock off.

I've been crafting and then selling the 1st Tier Purple, Level 21 Implants on the GTN for quite some time (since Launch)

To make these, the mats are relatively easy to acquire.

Genetic Anomaly x6 Microscopic Symbiote x4 and Molecular Programmer x4 - x6.

Note: there are no Purple component (Mechanical Symbiote - needed for 2nd Tier Purples ) necessary to create these

Back in Dec 2011, I was selling these at a reasonable price of 8k each, since it seemed at that time I was the only one selling them.

Around March, a few crafters joined the market, but they were selling at much higher price and I received in-game threats to "Fix" the price of these to 10k or quote.. "We will burn you to the ground".

Okay... 8k 10k, still in the "reasonable" range I thought, and set mine to their liking.

This sort of thing has happened twice since (different characters) and my current price is 14k each, a bit high in my book, but they seem to sell well.

The characters who threatened me to raise my prices have all left the market, because I do not see them selling these Implants anymore.

Recently I got another threat. I've been sent a couple threats in the form of in-game mail.

This person must be the most greediest of them all, and wants me to raise these to match her listed prices.... 23k each LOL.

Hmm.. Doesn't "Competition" make a market thrive?

I do not know if federal Laws apply to activities in a game, but according to Section 1 of the Sherman Antitrust Act in the United States, "Price Fixing" is concidered a Federal Offense.

Since it's just a "Game", I'm pondering whether to report said characters, or should I just /ignore her.

Edit: I play Swtor for relaxation ( I like to craft = relaxation ), but I don't want to be harassed, because then it becomes a irritation :p

No one does that. No one sends in game threatening emails to price fix. My BS meter just hit 11.

I'm pretty sure that threats of this nature would simply constitute threats, and not be any type of Sherman violation - there would be no place for threats in a Sherman violation context, because all the parties in the market would be in league with one another. Is this accurate? (And yes I know Sherman cannot be applied within the video game, just trying to make sure I understand Sherman).

From the recipe you are giving, I just checked our GTN for mats purchased and costing crafting one. It would cost about 10,000 credits just to craft one, and then of course there is the GTN tax on top. and a bit of profit.

I can remember ages ago I was selling ice scrabbler jerkies on the GTN very successfully for about 25,000 credits. I got a whisper from another seller asking me to raise my price to over double what I was selling for. Which I did, and of course found I just never sold any whereas before I was selling about four a day and making a profit on each one. So after a few days I returned to my previous prices and didn't hear any more about it.

The funny thing about is that the crafters who practice price fixing give lectures on the free market. They accuse people who sell low of being "bad capitalists".

There are lots of reasons why someone would rationally sell below "cost":

1) alternative means of procurement (look at what happened to the stabilizer market)

2) drive out competition to raise the price later.

3) to free up cargo bay space

So, in short, you should just laugh at them.

I'm pretty sure that threats of this nature would simply constitute threats, and not be any type of Sherman violation - there would be no place for threats in a Sherman violation context, because all the parties in the market would be in league with one another. Is this accurate? (And yes I know Sherman cannot be applied within the video game, just trying to make sure I understand Sherman).

But a kickback would violate Sherman. That's going to be my response if anyone griefs me over the price I sell my 27 plates at.

But a kickback would violate Sherman. That's going to be my response if anyone griefs me over the price I sell my 27 plates at.

Sell your 27 plates to me for a credit.:D

I have gotten a threat email before when my armor tech made money crafting orange gear. I just ignored it and they didn't bother me again. Then BW started selling CM gear and the market I was selling dried up. I moved to another craft and am doing fine now, but it was frustrating at the time.

You should have laughed at him and then kept selling at your price.

This all day. Sell at the price you want to sell. If the over chargers are that bothered by your prices, they will just buy you out anyway. I always sold below market average in SWG. My product always moved, I always made a profit. It never once bothered me that another merchant would buy my stuff and resell it for a higher price.

Sell your 27 plates to me for a credit.:D

I have gotten a threat email before when my armor tech made money crafting orange gear. I just ignored it and they didn't bother me again. Then BW started selling CM gear and the market I was selling dried up. I moved to another craft and am doing fine now, but it was frustrating at the time.

If you can sell me 27 mods for a credit, I'll take you up on it. :D

This all day. Sell at the price you want to sell. If the over chargers are that bothered by your prices, they will just buy you out anyway. I always sold below market average in SWG. My product always moved, I always made a profit. It never once bothered me that another merchant would buy my stuff and resell it for a higher price.
I never understood why people complained about resellers in SWG.

I mean, you DID get the price you wanted for your item.

If you didn't want to sell out and be bothered with re-stocking, you should have raised your prices to sell slower.

I always calculated my prices based on the costs involved in obtaining the item (harvesters, power, time, etc) and then sold the item based on what I felt was a fair return on my investment.

Things made with junk copper that I could crank out in a factory were very cheap.

Things made by hand with lots of sub-components and high-quality resources were very expensive.

So if you want to buy at my price and sell to someone else at a markup, knock yourself out.

I'll make some more and sell those to you, too.

And if you want to ban me from your store to keep me from buying your stuff, I'll make an alt and shop some more.

And if you want to ban me from your store to keep me from buying your stuff, I'll make an alt and shop some more.

Indeed. The only mechanism that I can think of that would prevent resale would be enabling crafters to set the bind rules on the items they create. Some sort of 'bind on purchase' flag might kick the gear resellers out of touch, but I can't see that sort of thing ever being implemented. As far as I'm concerned, resale is legit. I go for volume and quick turnover when mats are cheap and abundant. If someone else wants my stock sitting unsold on the GTN for weeks, then good luck to 'em.