The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

<< How is it "hate speech" to simply avoid conversations or subjects you don't want to talk about? As for the "same gender romance" stuff, I'm not sure if I remember ever seeing that option in any of the dialogues between any of my characters and their companions>>

It's easy. If you want to avoid the conversation, don't click the "flirt" option. That goes for same as well as opposite gender. Technically, to progress the story, you don't "need" to romance ANYONE.

Unlike the pacifist. They do not have the same option. To progress in the story, you DO need to kill lots and lots of other people, animals, droids.....

"its called Star "WARS" - not Star "Negotiate", Star "Peace", or Star "Mediate"

"peace is a lie"

It's not hate speech, but they want to categorize it as such and said don't talk about it, so really, it's an easy rule to follow :p

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<< How is it "hate speech" to simply avoid conversations or subjects you don't want to talk about? As for the "same gender romance" stuff, I'm not sure if I remember ever seeing that option in any of the dialogues between any of my characters and their companions>>

It's easy. If you want to avoid the conversation, don't click the "flirt" option. That goes for same as well as opposite gender. Technically, to progress the story, you don't "need" to romance ANYONE.

Unlike the pacifist. They do not have the same option. To progress in the story, you DO need to kill lots and lots of other people, animals, droids.....

"its called Star "WARS" - not Star "Negotiate", Star "Peace", or Star "Mediate"

"peace is a lie"

Well, that's certainly simple enough for me. I'm just glad that romance (same or opposite gender) is totally voluntary and has no effect one way or the other on storyline advancement. Besides, there seems to be sort of a built in "toggle" anyway. I think if you ignore "flirt" options with any particular NPC/Companion enough times, that option simply stops showing up. I could be wrong about that, but it seems that way to me.

Here's the dumb question: Why the hell did I even get involved in this discussion? I'm going back to playing the game. What other people do with their characters is really none of my business, anyway. Good luck and have fun, everyone!

We are slightly tamer than tumblr?

I play this game to enjoy an escape from reality. I just want to be the good guy fighting bad guys (or someone fighting to survive if playing Empire). So if I see any real world social/political issues pop up in any dialogue options, I simply ignore them and go on with my gaming experience.

If you don't like social, moral and/or political issues in your video games you're in the wrong place buddy, may I suggest you try hack-and-slash games instead? I hear God of war is good.

On topic, my main is a female sniper and romanced Lana Beniko, nuff said.

Edited by Nefertuss

If you don't like social, moral and/or political issues in your video games you're in the wrong place buddy, may I suggest you try hack-and-slash games instead? I hear God of war is good.

On topic, my main is a female sniper and romanced Lana Beniko, nuff said.

Only because they butchered Greek mythology worse than the lovechild of Hannibal Lecter and Genghis Khan.

I can't tell if that's a slam on God of War or Greek mythology.

Has anyone mentioned yet that there are multiple queer characters in the new book canon and nobody cares, by the way? (Well, panicky dudebros care, but Disney clearly doesn't, and neither does the rather large audience.)

Has anyone mentioned yet that there are multiple queer characters in the new book canon and nobody cares, by the way? (Well, panicky dudebros care, but Disney clearly doesn't, and neither does the rather large audience.)

What books?

Yeah it's nice and all but let's not act all's well now. Not until Disney allows gay characters in main $200m budget SW movies and not just 'tiny' novels

I am way late on this discussion so I will probably be hitting old notes.

I personally do NOT like Star Wars being infected with real life...anything. I come to the Star Wars galaxy to avoid the dull and miserable parts of the real world.

HOWEVER, I do not thiink same-gender romance options in TOR really equate. They are options, not requirements. If that is against your morals, don't do it. I look at it like the light side and dark side choices. If killing or hurting others is wrong, well...probably should always pick the light side option.

I would love to see one of my toons do a same sex flirt and have an NPC freak out and be like "WHOA! I SENT THE WRONG SIGNALS!" I enjoy the random funny moments in TOR, not enough of them.

Also, besides what I consider to be a borderline bisexual relationship between Cipher 9 and Calyio, TOR has made no indication of any actual same-sex relationships. So it is not like they are preaching anything. If anything, they are quite conservative in that this has only recently been made an option.

I an ultra sensitive to political implications as I work in the field, I have never gotten a single hint of anything moral assertions from the game. Given the amount of content developers put into the game, I am honestly surprised a few things have not crept in by accident.

I am way late on this discussion so I will probably be hitting old notes.

I personally do NOT like Star Wars being infected with real life...anything. I come to the Star Wars galaxy to avoid the dull and miserable parts of the real world.

HOWEVER, I do not thiink same-gender romance options in TOR really equate. They are options, not requirements. If that is against your morals, don't do it. I look at it like the light side and dark side choices. If killing or hurting others is wrong, well...probably should always pick the light side option.

I would love to see one of my toons do a same sex flirt and have an NPC freak out and be like "WHOA! I SENT THE WRONG SIGNALS!" I enjoy the random funny moments in TOR, not enough of them.

Also, besides what I consider to be a borderline bisexual relationship between Cipher 9 and Calyio, TOR has made no indication of any actual same-sex relationships. So it is not like they are preaching anything. If anything, they are quite conservative in that this has only recently been made an option.

I an ultra sensitive to political implications as I work in the field, I have never gotten a single hint of anything moral assertions from the game. Given the amount of content developers put into the game, I am honestly surprised a few things have not crept in by accident.

Since you already mentioned agent (and it's Kaliyo* btw) there is a scene

at the end of Tatooine where if you are nice (I presume since I haven't been not nice to know) the female npc hold your hands and...seems ready to kiss your female pc to be honest...now I hope there was supposed to be dialogue wheel there for you to decide how your pc will react...as it is right now your pc just look confused/funny in a ''what the hell is happening?!?''

Since you already mentioned agent (and it's Kaliyo* btw) there is a scene

at the end of Tatooine where if you are nice (I presume since I haven't been not nice to know) the female npc hold your hands and...seems ready to kiss your female pc to be honest...now I hope there was supposed to be dialogue wheel there for you to decide how your pc will react...as it is right now your pc just look confused/funny in a ''what the hell is happening?!?''

There are quite a few moments in the game like that, and they're a byproduct of cost saving measures. The devs aren't going to add any more lines of dialog than they absolutely have to, because of the programming/VA/animation costs involved. Therefore, the sole difference between a female agent's dialog with Watcher Nine and a male's, for example, is that a single dialog wheel line changes from "whatever" to "[flirt] whatever else". All of the rest of it is exactly the same. But the character is written with the intent of being flirtable and semi-romantic with male agents, so they add a lot of flirty lines on her part and make animation and voice direction choices that make her seem into you, so that for male agents it makes sense. This leads to occasional hilariously awkward moments between wrong-sex PCs and their NPC conversational partners.

Of course Kaliyo is so obviously bi it's painful (she regularly plays the pronoun game about her past conquests and several NPCs in her personal quests are obviously former lovers), so in her case at least it's likely intentional.

I have nothing against same sex couples in real life. Grown adults should be able to choose their partners, free of government interference. I'm straight, but individual liberty is very important to me, especially in my country (U.S.A.)

But in game? I really don't play Star Wars for romantic relationships, and it's really a non-issue in the movies so I'm not sure why it matters. Actually some parents might not want their children to play, so it could have some negative impact on sub numbers, too.

I'm trying to be realistic without hurting anyone's feelings, but yeah, really what do real life social issues have to do with a space fantasy game?

I have nothing against same sex couples in real life. Grown adults should be able to choose their partners, free of government interference. I'm straight, but individual liberty is very important to me, especially in my country (U.S.A.)

But in game? I really don't play Star Wars for romantic relationships, and it's really a non-issue in the movies so I'm not sure why it matters. Actually some parents might not want their children to play, so it could have some negative impact on sub numbers, too.

I'm trying to be realistic without hurting anyone's feelings, but yeah, really what do real life social issues have to do with a space fantasy game?

Umm it matters because BW chose that the game will have romances/flirts in it...and the problem was that they (initially) had only male/female...

As for whatever romances have parts in games....I guess the answer is different for different people....for me the answer is ''absolutely'':)

This is exactly what we're all saying. Why aren't there more gay and bisexual people? Why keep repressing them?

Just to check, there hasn't been anything concrete regarding SGR in KotFE yet? Other then that Lana is returning, and it would be strange for your (possibly female) character to have had something with her in SoR and then pretend like it didn't. Is Theron back? That might have the same implications for m/m stuff.

I feel pretty good about it. They've had deliberately more diversity with flirts/romance in expansions so why would they stop now? That said, a little confirmation wouldn't hurt.

Just to check, there hasn't been anything concrete regarding SGR in KotFE yet? Other then that Lana is returning, and it would be strange for your (possibly female) character to have had something with her in SoR and then pretend like it didn't. Is Theron back? That might have the same implications for m/m stuff.

I feel pretty good about it. They've had deliberately more diversity with flirts/romance in expansions so why would they stop now? That said, a little confirmation wouldn't hurt.

Since they're moving the game into a one story for all classes setting, then it could very likely be the idea is to leave us at 2 or 4 companions all of which happen to be bi, that way all players can flirt with them and have them flirt back.

Since they're moving the game into a one story for all classes setting, then it could very likely be the idea is to leave us at 2 or 4 companions all of which happen to be bi, that way all players can flirt with them and have them flirt back.

If they do that....although some people will hate it, I personally will love it. Because imo if they choose to go with the fewer companions option they might...hmm...give them (the companions) more content. It's probably a far-fetched dream, but maybe they will go with some sort of DA2 like companion....ugh I don't know what to call it....''talking''? system and move away from the current affection system - of which Ashara(SI) and Jaesa(?)(SW) are the worst offenders:)

Edited by Saelinne

If they do that....although some people will hate it, I personally will love it. Because imo if they choose to go with the fewer companions option they might...hmm...give them (the companions) more content. It's probably a far-fetched dream, but maybe they will go with some sort of DA2 like companion....ugh I don't know what to call it....''talking''? system and move away from the current affection system - of which Ashara(SI) and Jaesa(?)(SW) are the worst offenders:)

But didn't you know? Herosexual is the lazy path!

One frustrating thing about the romances on Makeb was the sheer lack of content. Both Cytharat and Lemda Avesta had very few lines, and although Cytharat sends you a message (via Katha Niar) after he's had to be sent away for medical attention, Lemda doesn't even bother sending you a personal note - she lets her Uncle do that.

Theron and Lana (both what we could call "herosexual") had more content, but now we come to the single most annoying thing of all... All of these romances are, to a certain extent, segregated by faction. Gay female Imp on Makeb? SOL. Gay male Rep on Makeb? SOL. Gay female Rep in SoR? Shorted on content. Gay male Imp in SoR? Shorted on content.

They had better NOT do that again. If we're having faction segregated romances, there better be LIs for both genders on both factions.

Ha! I once complained in the Pillars of eternity forum that they went with the lazy option and gave us make-your-own merceneries/companions inn instead of having more good old fashioned companions with history and dialogue and ****....damn karma I tell you:)

One frustrating thing about the romances on Makeb was the sheer lack of content. Both Cytharat and Lemda Avesta had very few lines, and although Cytharat sends you a message (via Katha Niar) after he's had to be sent away for medical attention, Lemda doesn't even bother sending you a personal note - she lets her Uncle do that.

Theron and Lana (both what we could call "herosexual") had more content, but now we come to the single most annoying thing of all... All of these romances are, to a certain extent, segregated by faction. Gay female Imp on Makeb? SOL. Gay male Rep on Makeb? SOL. Gay female Rep in SoR? Shorted on content. Gay male Imp in SoR? Shorted on content.

They had better NOT do that again. If we're having faction segregated romances, there better be LIs for both genders on both factions.

....may I ask what is ''SOL''? I can't figure it out...

Well, it is the lazy path, though they're already doing the lazy path now, so it wouldn't surprise me. Personally I'd rather have straight/gay npcs that said "Sorry, you're not my type." and of course bi's who go for the character, I just imagine them going with fewer, and me saying they only have 2 males/2 females to choose from, may have been generous on my part :p