Dear BioWare, your coding is terribad.

Eszi

Have you ever actually developed games using DirectX (or any graphics API) and have knowledge of CPU/GPU architecture to say such things ?

I think the answer is fairly obvious on this point...no he hasn't. Neither have 99% of the peeps in this thread pretending they understand game engines and code optimization.

Remove white-space in your code to improve overall performance! hahaha

Armchair Developers FTL

Edited by DarthOvertone

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See this is what happens when the egomaniacs at Bioware Austin purchase an alpha uncomplete Hero's Engine and put their own custom code and renderer into it. No wonder Gordon Walton jumped ship before this game launched. He probably felt really guilty about how he put so much faith into their engineering department, which obviously was one big *** FAIL.

That's the real reason we'll never see true open world PvP. This abomination of an engine can't handle it PERIOD.

The only good thing that came out of this is Simtronics obviously used the money from Bioware to finish and complete the engine. Now it seems because of SWTOR it gets a bad rep, which is complete horse ****.

Bioware Austin sucks.

GW2 is pretty much a lag and cull fest at every event

Culling is a big issue and one that is seeing improvements next week and in February. The fact remains though that it can support 10x the amount of people onscreen then Bioware`s version of HE.

You don't need to work in the coding part of things to know this game is crap when it comes to coding. So much wasted potential, it really is a shame Bioware can't do anything without EA pulling the leash too harshly.

That said, the number of Crashes-per-hour is going up HUGELY.

1.0-1.3 worked fine... 1.4 onward the crashes started to sneak in 1.6 My sessions typically have 2 crashes sometimes more. Someone's breaking code as they add code.

Funny I have yet to crash since the first week of the game. Yes that is right I have had ONE crash since the game entered beta to this day and that was on my older system. My newer system I built has had no crashes in the game and zero lag. Sorry if you think I am an apologist I am not but it is the truth. This game runs Great on my system.

Funny I have yet to crash since the first week of the game. Yes that is right I have had ONE crash since the game entered beta to this day and that was on my older system. My newer system I built has had no crashes in the game and zero lag. Sorry if you think I am an apologist I am not but it is the truth. This game runs Great on my system.

Funny thing is my game performance IMPROVED in 1.4. Previously I'd been running my graphics on High but after 1.4 I was able to run on Very High with no drop in performance compared to a substantial drop prior. In 1.6 I started getting a weird CoD bug that occurred only when entering my ship from the Black Hole District... (I didn't bother submitting a bug report because honestly, who bothers with BHD anymore?).

See this is what happens when the egomaniacs at Bioware Austin purchase an alpha uncomplete Hero's Engine and put their own custom code and renderer into it. No wonder Gordon Walton jumped ship before this game launched. He probably felt really guilty about how he put so much faith into their engineering department, which obviously was one big *** FAIL.

Just to put things a little into perspective for you. This is more or less how it goes when picking a game engine:

In five years we have to launch a new triple A MMO title that about 2 million fans of the franchise are screaming for.

We can't tell you the exact specifications of computers at the time.

We can't tell you the details of the game, as the team working on those preliminaries is still roughing it out and will likely radically change the game design a dozen time in the next five years.

But we need you to start working on the graphics in 3 months so if you would be so kind as to pick the graphics engine and development environment that best fits our needs and whose licensing does not break the financial restraints our accountants have placed on the project?

Six years ago the Hero Engine looked like it had the best mix of features and adaptability and development support (e.g. it was the only one at the time designed from the ground up for MMOs, unlike the popular rivals at the time which started with single player games or small scale fps, and the best engines were proprietary and not for sale), even if it was still in development. It turned out that its scaling abilities were not as good as hoped and by branching off early in the development process Bioware shot itself in the foot with a specific aspect of the game, namely large scale PvP. The rest of the game the engine works well enough (could be better but well enough).

Yes, they made mistakes, but considering the dificulty of guestimating what will be needed and what is possible to aim for, they did not as bad as some other games (e.g. Vanguard).