Why not advanced class change?

lichoniespi

Serious question.

As far as i noticed there is no such option, however i see no logical reason why not.

After all as long as advanced classes are balanced switching to other spec should be ok.

I see a problem if the game is just bouncing from one favor of the month to another, however making players to run a "smash monkey" from level 1 do not really solve problems, and is not a way to handle a things.

Changing adv class have nothing will support fotms.

If devs want to fight fotms the only way to do is to balance classes around lv 50. Nothing less will fix the issue. And there is simply no other way than balancing classes, especially if dream on any resonable pvp.

After all the aim of the devs should be making players happy, of course soaking every last $ is also on the list, but happy customer is more likly to spend extra ca$h. And i see some rational reasons to be willing to swap the spec.

- Someone just want to check something else

- Someone made horrible mistake (like playing commando) and is just not happy with a spec but will miss a character and story progression.

As for pricing im sure it could be done, something like 1 mil creds or some cartel points (like 300-500) make sense and no more than once per month or something. Generally it should be pricy enought to make you actually feel the cost, but not to much to make it prohibitive or just cash grab.

Just to stay clear im suggesting chaning just a advanced class.

So for example from mercenary to powertech.

Or Sorceror to assasin. (or other way around)

From sniper to opperative.

And jugernaut to mercenary.

Edited by lichoniespi

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly because if you want to reroll, level 10 takes like 2 hours to obtain. So it's in there on purpose to be a tiny timesink.

They just added the ability to buy new character slots. So people can beyond 12. That's a hint. They're not going to make advanced class switching when you can just buy a new slot or four, and take 2 hours to get a new toon to that same level 10 choice your old one was at.

Serious question.

As far as i noticed there is no such option, however i see no logical reason why not.

After all as long as advanced classes are balanced switching to other spec should be ok.

I see a problem if the game is just bouncing from one favor of the month to another, however making players to run a "smash monkey" from level 1 do not really solve problems, and is not a way to handle a things.

After all the aim of the devs should be making players happy, of course soaking every last $ is also on the list, but happy customer is more likly to spend extra ca$h. And i see some rational reasons to be willing to swap the spec.

- Someone just want to check something else

- Someone made horrible mistake (like playing commando) and is just not happy with a spec but will miss a character and story progression.

As for pricing im sure it could be done, something like 1 mil creds or some cartel points make sense and no more than once per month or something.

Allowing AC changes would be the same as allowing a class change in most other MMO's. The fact that two AC's stem from the same basic class does not mean that they play even remotely the same. Sorcerer is ranged DPS, but assassin is much more melee oriented, not to mention the addition of stealth. Some AC's do not even share the same armor type. I for one hope they never allow this to happen.

I have found that most of the people who want an AC change fall into one of two categories:

1-- The player wants to level easy mode and switch to the role they would prefer to play at 50. An example being a poster on these forums who wanted to level as a marauder DPS because he felt that juggernaut DPS was not quick or easy enough for him, but wanted to tank for his guild at 50.

2-- They leveled as one AC, which gets nerfed and now they want to play the other more OP AC. An example being another poster who leveled as a mercenary, but now wants to be a powertech because merc got nerfed and powertech is now OP.

Bioware mentioned that Race change, gender change?, ac change are coming down the line, but not faction change.

Race and gender changes are cosmetic changes. Relatively easy to accomplish.

AC changes, not so. I do not want to see AC changes in this game ever. Granted I also like leveling alts, so I plan to have 1 of every AC, both sides.

1-- The player wants to level easy mode and switch to the role they would prefer to play at 50. An example being a poster on these forums who wanted to level as a marauder DPS because he felt that juggernaut DPS was not quick or easy enough for him, but wanted to tank for his guild at 50.

Thats, that is horrible!

Who knows, maybe some of them would have actual fun playing the game. Please send the dementors to soak all joy this pathetic fun lovers!

Maybe i came from different times, when success of game was build on quality of product not just sociotechnics, timesinks, and addicting tricks to soak the last $ from the sheepie.

Nevertheless i think that if player have fun thats it, Holy Grail of game design.

If he likes most leveling as assasin let him do it and respec to sorcerer healer at 50.

Of course disbalance is bad thing, and if there is fotm builds around they should be investigate to balance things up, and make other builds competive. However saying that adv class swap equals supporting fotm is really made up stuff. Not that i expected much more.

Race and gender changes are cosmetic changes. Relatively easy to accomplish.

AC changes, not so. I do not want to see AC changes in this game ever. Granted I also like leveling alts, so I plan to have 1 of every AC, both sides.

1st I don't remember BioWare ever saying that Species/Gender/whatever Changes were coming down the road. Species might be easy but Gender Changes aren't as Changing Genders also affects what Companions you can Romance

- Someone made horrible mistake (like playing commando).

I specially liked this part ^^

Roflol.

But to answer your question it will never happen. I would love see it in game but it wont fly. In 24 hours of implementation the number of lvl 50 commandos/merc and scoundrel/op in all servers would drop to zero. A lot of people have made those horrible choices when they were not so horrible...

Roflol.

But to answer your question it will never happen. I would love see it in game but it wont fly. In 24 hours of implementation the number of lvl 50 commandos/merc and scoundrel/op in all servers would drop to zero. A lot of people have made those horrible choices when they were not so horrible...

But there is always a chance that at some point balance team will take a look at the issue and fix the commandos/scoundrels so for all who would like this character type it will again be a decent option.

And then they will swap back to scoundrells and commandos.

Somehow this would look for me more normal and healthy:

"You dont like your spec? Thats cool, you can swap it and play something more fun fo you."

Forcing people to stay with overnerfed/not fun class just to pretend everything is fine, and we have so many commandos that they must be ok is a sick in my book.

Maybe some people like playing commandos and mercs?

I'm not sure why people are against AC changes. What worries you, exactly? An influx of bad players? Is there a paucity of bad players now? Do you really think it takes 100 hours to learn how to play a class properly?

Primary reason, tech is hard.

Secondary reason, player confusion. We already have idiots who think Aim is good on a Smuggler/Agent. Can you imagine what would happen if those same people could flip between tank and healer on Inquisitor/Consular and Trooper/Bounty Hunter at will?

I not a fan of providing a blanket advanced class change. There are players who general wish they had picked the other AC after playing one for a few levels. I've been there and have sympathies. Unfortunately, I believe the system would be used/abused more by lazy players than by those you're trying to help. FOTM players would have to create half as many character, people rushing to endgame would pick the AC deemed easier until endgame, and you'd get far too many people trying to be a jack of all trades on a single character.

I would support changing the AC picking mechanism to allow a player a few switches before reaching level 25 or so. That's enough time to learn enough abilities and commit enough skill tree points to have a feel for how the AC will play out for the rest of the game. This would give players new to a class a chance to try both before being locked in.

What I would love more than anything, would be something similar to character creation in Dragon Age 2 where you get a chance to test drive an endgame character.

18. Will be there any faction or Advanced Class change option available for purchase in the future?

We have had serious talks recently about offering an Advanced Class change option – I think that one will likely happen eventually. Species is likely as well. Doing a faction switch is considerably more difficult for us, though, due to the various quest flags set throughout the level up process, so this isn’t on the horizon anytime soon.

http://dulfy.net/2012/11/16/swtor-f2p-future-content-interview-with-damion-schubert/

Thats, that is horrible!

Who knows, maybe some of them would have actual fun playing the game. Please send the dementors to soak all joy this pathetic fun lovers!

Maybe i came from different times, when success of game was build on quality of product not just sociotechnics, timesinks, and addicting tricks to soak the last $ from the sheepie.

Nevertheless i think that if player have fun thats it, Holy Grail of game design.

If he likes most leveling as assasin let him do it and respec to sorcerer healer at 50.

Of course disbalance is bad thing, and if there is fotm builds around they should be investigate to balance things up, and make other builds competive. However saying that adv class swap equals supporting fotm is really made up stuff. Not that i expected much more.

Would you want someone to level as a DK and then switch to paladin at level cap? I hope not. What you are advocating is the same thing.

This would be terrible. The folks that play FOTM could simply flip a button to join the crazy.

Perhaps allow a 1 time change? Sure, maybe. Once per legacy. Anything over that would be problematic.

I could see a limit of 2 times?

Once to give another AC a try and should it not be what you hoped and dreamed it would be, you could change back.

2 times per toon and thats all. Ever.

I could see a limit of 2 times?

Once to give another AC a try and should it not be what you hoped and dreamed it would be, you could change back.

2 times per toon and thats all. Ever.

If they didn't allow so many character slots (more than enough for one of each AC) than I would support a change. That being said. There is no need to "reroll" in this game.

However saying that adv class swap equals supporting fotm is really made up stuff. Not that i expected much more.

In response to this, I present:

Roflol.

Here we have someone who recognizes that allowing AC swapping would promote FOTM players.

But there is always a chance that at some point balance team will take a look at the issue and fix the commandos/scoundrels so for all who would like this character type it will again be a decent option.

And then they will swap back to scoundrells and commandos.

Somehow this would look for me more normal and healthy:

"You dont like your spec? Thats cool, you can swap it and play something more fun fo you."

Forcing people to stay with overnerfed/not fun class just to pretend everything is fine, and we have so many commandos that they must be ok is a sick in my book.

Here we have a poster who not only wants to be able to switch AC's from the current nerfed to the FOTM, but also back again when his current AC gets buffed, or his new one gets nerfed.

What's next? "mercenary and powertech have been nerfed into nothing, but sniper is OP. Let me switch to sniper"

Let's leave class changing out of the game.

Would you want someone to level as a DK and then switch to paladin at level cap? I hope not. What you are advocating is the same thing.

Not sure how much Paladins have place in SWTOR, but you for sure know what you are saying.

But to be honest: Yes, in your face.

If someone found leveling Paladin not as fun as cap then let him play the game he likes.

Also its kinda fun how well conditioned players are, i my book it should be other way around. The customers should condition developers. But it seems we are at the point when players are ready to battlecry "we love timesinks, its best we deserve!"

Please send the dementors to soak all joy this pathetic fun lovers!

To put this AC issue into terms you can relate to ...

Once the sorting hat declares you're in Slytherin, sorry mate, you're in Slytherin.

It's not that you come from different times. You come from a different gaming background. Since MMORPGs have been built on timesinks since the very beginning.

That's not really the holy grail of game design. Even Pac-Man was a grind.

That's extremely problematic in how this game plays out. I don't really want Assassins rolling on healer gear claiming they're getting it so they can class swap.

18. Will be there any faction or Advanced Class change option available for purchase in the future?

We have had serious talks recently about offering an Advanced Class change option – I think that one will likely happen eventually. Species is likely as well. Doing a faction switch is considerably more difficult for us, though, due to the various quest flags set throughout the level up process, so this isn’t on the horizon anytime soon.

http://dulfy.net/2012/11/16/swtor-f2p-future-content-interview-with-damion-schubert/

I saw that quote. I would like to point out that "likely happen" is not the same as will happen. Do not read more into that than is there. EA has made similar comments about other things we have yet to see.

If they add it, so be it. I certainly hope they do not, however.

I saw that quote. I would like to point out that "likely happen" is not the same as will happen. Do not read more into that than is there. EA has made similar comments about other things we have yet to see.

If they add it, so be it. I certainly hope they do not, however.

I made no comment on the quote. I just offered it in case the OP wasn't aware of it.

Not sure how much Paladins have place in SWTOR, but you for sure know what you are saying.

But to be honest: Yes, in your face.

If someone found leveling Paladin not as fun as cap then let him play the game he likes.

Also its kinda fun how well conditioned players are, i my book it should be other way around. The customers should condition developers. But it seems we are at the point when players are ready to battlecry "we love timesinks, its best we deserve!"

Players need to stop feeling so entitled and expecting everything to be handed to them, and actually put some time and effort into what they want.