High Level Gear Looks Awful

oslek

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The jerk in me is reading this going, "This again? Yes, we know it's absolutely horrible and ridiculous and yes....tons of threads have been written on it."

The polite guy in me is reading this going, "Yep. It sucks. You must be new here and I'm sorry you have to witness the atrocity that is end game armor/high level armor. On the upside, you can rip the mods out and put it in armor you DO like...but you may not get bonuses Armor Set bonus. Personally, I didn't care. I ripped it the hell out and put it in better looking armor. :D "

So true the jedi knight 50s gear is so ugly like i wanna run around looking like a fat dome head with a smile and the colors are really bad to and the armor is all the same ugly and it sucks that there is no good looking easy to obtain hevery gear for a jedi.

some thing to think about bioware.

Agreed. The end game gear in this game is ridiculous. Only class that looks half way decent IMO is the Trooper. But the worst, two of my mains are a Shadow and a Sage and you know how completely utterly absurd those look. It's really, really hard for me to understand how those got the green light.

Beats me too. I just know my Shadow stripped out the mods and wears only the boots (unified to chest) and the headpiece (hidden). While the 4-piece bonus is nice, it's not a crucial part of the set as a whole. The 2-piece however is a must-have, because you'll simply be some shieldrating short, since the mods and enhancements don't provide it.

On my sniper, I had less trouble. I basically replaced the chestpiece with something more aesthethically acceptable and hid the headslot. Unify to chest, and it looked pretty okay. 4 piece setbonus secured.

But, that's the major difference between the sniper set and the shadow set: of the sniper set, most pieces are actually acceptable. For the shadow set, that is simply not the case. I'd rather not wear those boots either, but the itemization basically forces me to at least go for the 2-piece bonus. And the least prominent parts in my case happened to be the boots and the hidable headslot. I imagine someone else might go for the gloves or the skirt though, but neither of those suited my purposes.

Í don't think I'll worry too much about the setbonusses for my Smugglers when they hit 50. The scoundrel might wear the boots and gloves, maybe also the pants and gloves, while the gunslinger will probably only keep the hat and gloves. No point wearing a third piece if you're not going to wear a fourth with it, and my gunslinger doesn't wear cloaks (none of my characters do) and doesn't wear pants either (she wears a skirt).

Edited by AsheraII

My guess is they felt making all items modable would detract from the carrot on a stick model for grinding gear (though IMO it wouldn't as you'd be grinding for mods rather than grinding for gear). Not to mention most Star Wars fans would most likely avoid/want to avoid the more exotic gear in favor of stuff that looks like it's from the movies.

I was in beta when they made most/all items modable. Was great. Sad to see they botched it prior to launch.

The carrot is always there for the best gear still with an A Tab, and the ability to grind out a look is another carrot too.

Would have been good if they stuck to that system from beta, its a real head scratcher to have been removed

But sadly TOR ens to have the track record of great ideas removed or botched

I once created a thread called "Ugliest End Game Gear in MMO History". Got over 900 replies and was closed and deleted.

It was all part of Biowares plan... Have ugly gear so it forces people to buy gear off of CM.

The Cartel options isnt exactly much better

The Cartel options isnt exactly much better

Yet......

You know they watch threads like this....

Not to see what we want in the game...

But to see what we will PAY for.

I miss the stuff from beta. But I also think they knew then, that they were going to start charging for stuff.

It's been pretty clear from the start that the artist for this game just don't get the classic "Star Warsy" look that a majority of players want, these guys want us to look like clowns with all these obnoxious colors and hideous designs, while most would be happy with a choice of simple yet distinct robe designs, mostly classically colored, but again the major reason this game has bottomed out to what it is today is the constant "we are making the game the way we want, and you should play the game the way we want" attitude, in other words like a single player.

Put a simple freaking poll on these forums for new gear and I'll bet you increase subs by 5% (huge), just simple little steps that could make this game a ton of cash instead of recoloring the same armor over and over and selling it for $12 a pop to your already paying subbed customers.

Edited by Zataos

The carrot is always there for the best gear still with an A Tab, and the ability to grind out a look is another carrot too.

Would have been good if they stuck to that system from beta, its a real head scratcher to have been removed

But sadly TOR ens to have the track record of great ideas removed or botched

Well, technically the mod system IS an appearance tab but without the "a wizard did it" excuse. TOR back in beta was pretty much the first MMO that integrated appearance control as a part of progression, over things like appearance tabs, vanity slots, transmogrification and so on. That would have been something for the devs to hang on to as a way of saying "this is what helps our game stand out" instead of neuter it the way they did from the second-to-last- stage of the beta. Edited by Estriga

just took a look at the link that had pics of all the classes gear.... holly hell!!!!!!! i was surprised because i hadn't seen all of them but to see them all together and on one page... jeezy creezy!!! the only class that has good armor is Troopers. My Bounty Hunter is sad though to see that all the high level buckets are just as bad as the low level ones B^( im glad that 90% of the armor he has now is orange... but then again i only got about half a month left so i doubt it will matter much.

i kinda have to wonder if the developers were working on armor for some other game and decided to just use it for this one... some/most looks like total poo and looks nothing like star wars at all!!!!

Daniel Erickson: We have heard the community loud and clear when it comes to armor sets. What we’ve heard the players say is, “I don’t care how high level I get, I still want my core sets to look and feel like Star Wars and like my class - cooler but not crazy. Keep the crazy to optional gear.” I will warn that creating new armor is a part of our game with long lead times so it will take a set or so before players see a strong shift in direction but we’re already working on some stuff I love and I think players will too.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-friday-march-30th-2012-game-update-1.2-special

That was back in March of 2012. No real movement in this regard. Keep in mind it's core sets, not Cartel Market sets, though those are a welcome addition too.

I think the internet kind of agrees that SWTORs art designers are terrible.

I mean Consular gear ? How did that get past approval ?

Smuggler hats have hood ornaments and sniper knee pads have antennas... the missteps are large in the art department. I have never been able to figure out the armor design decisions. On top of the ugliness of it all, you then have to spend credits to not look ridiculous and set bonuses may or may not be tied to the redonkulous armor itself. I love the game but the armor lacks.

I think the internet kind of agrees that SWTORs art designers are terrible.

I mean Consular gear ? How did that get past approval ?

Well the Consular gear does have a Greek Toga as one of the sets, so I think maybe the designer confused "old" with "Star Wars."

Mind you, I saw a smuggler named "Dionysius" and thought - drat, he should have been a Consular for that set.

Smuggler sets... The war hero head (I am not a bug) and gloves (*** hook?) and boots (what are these things attached to my boots?). The pve sets either make you look like royalty (HAH!) or like some kind of strange sheriff... AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE KNIGHT!

EA shot it down. I don't know why they did, they've never said.

BioWare said that through their monitoring, they discovered that a large amount of beta testers were confused by the variety and types of modifications, how to get them, and which ones would benefit their class the most. At that stage in beta, not only was every equipable item able to be modded, they didn't all take the same three types of modifications. There were a half dozen more types of item modifications (underlays, overlays, power crystals, etc.). When the change to the current system went in, the forum was almost unanimously opposed to it. It was pretty clear that whatever confusion people had about the item modification system, it was early on in familiarizing oneself with the game and completely mitigated by the options it gave to character customization and the complexity it added to crafting professions.

My biggest complaint is the cartel market gear. I'm tired of seeing pubs in sith armor and sith in jedi robes...I know they already let us share any color crystal but it's starting to get a bit immersion breaking seeing jedi in revans robes while riding around in a sith insignia hover throne with a floating party jawa >.<

The weird thing about it is, a lot of the sets might be OK if they just removed the bizarre accessories. For example, the Tionese gear for Sorcerors has those massive shoulder wings, and the Bounty Hunter sets have those huge cylindrical things sticking out of the back.

I think that the tionese BH and Inquisitor sets are two of the most awesome armor sets in the game. The rest of the end game sets sucks big time though.

BioWare said that through their monitoring, they discovered that a large amount of beta testers were confused by the variety and types of modifications, how to get them, and which ones would benefit their class the most. At that stage in beta, not only was every equipable item able to be modded, they didn't all take the same three types of modifications. There were a half dozen more types of item modifications (underlays, overlays, power crystals, etc.). When the change to the current system went in, the forum was almost unanimously opposed to it. It was pretty clear that whatever confusion people had about the item modification system, it was early on in familiarizing oneself with the game and completely mitigated by the options it gave to character customization and the complexity it added to crafting professions.
Glad to see someone else remembers this. The first pass was utterly terrible (the one where all equipment used the same mods) and what drove me away from the game. Still miss the days when lightsaber mods were focus lens, power crystals, color crystals and hilts.