Kaliyo is a horrible companion

Lyability

Playing an agent sniper, she is ruining the whole experience for me. All I see is -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1. To the point when I'm screaming "leave already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

Seriously, I'm picking choices an assbag would pick because I'd like her to be partially decent at running crafting missions. Its ruining the whole story for me. Please tell me there is a better companion that actually fits the story line coming soon.

Run Black Talon a few times with her and <esc> out. You will get a feel for what the psycho likes. I don't like her much either, but since I was Ops/Healer, didn't have much choice. Vector is worse at tanking, but once I got him I used him 90% of the time and only pop the K-b###h during boss fights.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After you get to 50, you wont care anyway. She's cheap to gear and i do play Lethality Op in PvE, meaning i need tank there, so she's my companion 95% of time, as it allows me to use backstab and all AoE utils because mobs gather on her.

But yeah, during leveling she was annoying.

I love Kaliyo, but as it was said before...it's love it or hate it with her. I'm only on chapter 1, but my Agent can deal with her, b/c he sees her for what she is...An Attractive Distraction. I think as long as you know she's a crazy, habitual liar, and keep her at a certain distance...she works. It's also helps that they're both the same race, since the empire looks down on me the same way they do her.

To be fair my agent is pretty much set-up for her. I play him as a Sadistic James bond...in a way. He is very loyal to the Empire and believes in it stands for, but has very little patience for authority figures and politics. He makes the occasional snarky/sarcastic comment, but he's more about handling the mission. He's pretty bloodthirsty, and will opt to killing anyone if it makes the mission easier. No loose ends. As it stands though, seems he won't be bedding many NPCs...since he's and Alien...

Thing about Kaliyo is she isn't just as DS choices. She usually has some thought to how she want you to react to thing. There's times during class missions where she doesn't you tampering with people or killing them. Whereas other times she's fine with you targeting anyeone. IMO that makes he more interesting. That's probably why I like her a hair more than Jaesea. That and Jaesea's Voice is horrible. And they way the OP feels about Kaliyo is the way I feel about Vette. I saw so many -1.and -30 with Vetter before I got Quinn, I just pretended she wasn't there....except the shock collar moments....

My Sniper ditched her the minute I got Vector, but unfortunately my Healer Operative was stuck with her until Belsavis.

I'm not far from dinging L50 on my healing op now and Vector has been my sole companion since he joined me - mind you. I probably give his gear more attention than I do my own, or at least as much. For long messy boss fights, I just make sure the enemy is focussed on me, which makes healing during a fight much easier. He has more DPS than I do, so I let him take care of that side of things while I interrupt, CC, DoT and spam rifleshot.

Kaliyo was just too nasty, although I eventually gained a lot of satisfaction from her continued -1 disapproval. I learned to think of it in reverse - if I did or said something Kaliyo didn't like, I was doing something right!

To the crazy person who said Raina has a sexy accent (:eek:), try holding your nose while saying "Yes sir" in a silly, high voice. I can't bear to even send her on a mission in case I have to listen to even one obsequious, smug-sounding comment from her. Worse voice actor in the whole game, if you ask me.

Shame Doc isn't really compatible with my AC, as I find him just about the most interesting companion of the lot. And whoever voiced this guy? Now that's a voice actor. He only comes out to be presented with a gift, but his "Agent! You shouldn't have" makes me giggle evey time.

But yeah, Kaliyo is really, really horrible :p

• 4 weeks later...
I know how you guys feel, honestly. I rolled 3 Agents but didn't get them to Alderaan cause I just really started to hate Kaliyo long before I reached Alderaan. But a while back I remembered playing KOTOR 2. Hating Kreia in my 2 or 3 first toons. But this all changed once I looked more into her, into what makes her tick, think and say what she says. I loved her after that and she became my favorite Companion EVER. I decided to take the same reasoning up with Kaliyo. RPing as her Long Lost Rattataki sister, and it just feels soo great now. I get +20 with her all the time ( upped the speech affection). If you closely watch how she speaks and acts, you learn to get the hang of it. In reality she isn't only that psychopath she pretends to be. Inside is a young girl, putting up a shield of confidence and crazyness. In one of the earlier conversations she lets this through. She pretends you hurted her, but if you choose to apologize you get a -1, if you choose to tell her you know she's lying, you get +20. I now RP my agent much like Kaliyo, responding as she would, acting as she would, and it fits quite perfectly. I'm the Agent who nobody can really understand. Cold hearted and able to do whatever is necessary to finish the job, no matter how many people die ( DS choice that kills a few people, but saves the bigger group usually.) and she's completely unpredictable. Keeper loves me for it, cause I'm the Agent he wants for the most important jobs, Kaliyo loves me cause I'm like her big sister who tells her to shut up and she likes it, only Watcher 2 seems a bit disturbed sometimes, but I can live with that,

Kaliyo likes Alphas. Quit being such a Beta, get out there and be your own man while simultaneously being as much of a dick as possible. You'll max out affection before you know it.

She's way better than Raina "I am basically a female Quinn and worship the Sith without question" Temple. God, I can't stand her.

Edited by maxetius

Playing an agent sniper, she is ruining the whole experience for me. All I see is -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1. To the point when I'm screaming "leave already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

Seriously, I'm picking choices an assbag would pick because I'd like her to be partially decent at running crafting missions. Its ruining the whole story for me. Please tell me there is a better companion that actually fits the story line coming soon.

LOL, I would love to have the -1 from Kaliyo. I tend to get the -30 after getting +15, +15, +15, +15, +15. Over all I really love her wickedness and her humor. Heck in one companion chat we went to a bar and looking for trouble. I got a nice +45 out of that one. As others have said. Companion gifts will help you get back what you may have lost with all those -1 choices.

I will say when I first started with her I didn't like her, but I really did grow to enjoy her. She has a better sense of humor, it's warped just like my real life sense of humor and is a ton more fun then Vic. And I am a female IA and probably romance Vic but I won't.

Edited by RavensBloodyClaw

Kaliyo is my favourite companion in the game. I like how she isn't a cardboard cutout LS or DS character and she has some great lines. There's a lot of depth to her script writing, as you'll find if you max out her affection.

I've played LS and DS agents and have found it equally easy to gain affection. You don't have to take the cruel dirtbag choices everytime, she'll respect your LS choices too, as long as they aren't "yes sir, no sir" choices. You just have to make sure not to suck up to authority, be a bit rebellious / insubordinate and be prepared to be a bit random. I can see how if you're playing a military type following orders to the letter this could be a problem though. If that's the case, just dismiss her before you do the "yes sir" stuff - what she doesn't see she can't complain about :)

Doctor Lokin is like the best healing companion there is (genuinely serious) I don't know what he does different, but he keeps me alive on both my Operative and Sniper so easily all the time.

What I mean to say is.. GET LOKIN SUMMONED NOW?!?!?!@!!@?

Edited by WaldoA

Since I play my Op a lot like Michael Weston (highly recommend Burn Notice if you've never watched it), I love Kaliyo since she reminds me so much of Fiona (just slightly more indiscriminate in who she obliterates). If one of my future companions is a big snarky womanizing ex-soldier with a huge chin, then I'll be in heaven.

Since I play my Op a lot like Michael Weston (highly recommend Burn Notice if you've never watched it), I love Kaliyo since she reminds me so much of Fiona (just slightly more indiscriminate in who she obliterates). If one of my future companions is a big snarky womanizing ex-soldier with a huge chin, then I'll be in heaven.

+! :D I'd love a Sam Axe type NPC in the story. Maybe Bruce Campbell could lend a bit of voicework.

I used to care what my companions thought. Then I realized a few things.

Affection can be gained any time; mission choices can only be made once. As an Imperial Agent, the motto is "the mission comes first".

To heck with what any companion thinks; I do what I want. I play through the story the way I enjoy. And if I want some overly sensitive hag to be good at crafting, I go buy her some presents or run some of those Companion GIfts missions from my Underworld Trading and shut her up.

As for leveling affection, this is the formula for every single class. [This does assume this is not your first character and you are not entirely flat broke]

Step 1: Shut up and take my stuff. Prior to using a companion, purchase the Grade 1 green gift from the vendor for $200. Give this gift to your companion over and over until they are 6000 affection. (Moving up to higher gifts is ineffective; Grade 2 for example costs triple the credits but only gives double the affection. It is more profittable to give them tons of junk, rather than to ever pick up something nice.)

Step 2: Right man for the job. If you don't mind playing conversations multiple times, escape out at the end of the conversation if it was generally negative with your companion. Then *wait for it* select a differant companion. It doesn't matter if they are not the companion you actually want to use for combat, you can still bring them in just for the conversation. You can select your way through companions until you find the one who actually likes what you're saying. If nobody likes it, then send the moron to go sell your trash to the vendor while you talk to the guy alone. (Really this is only a few seconds investment in time in order to net yourself the better payout for the conversations. Occasionally the conversation will be with someone you will fight immediately following talking. In those cases, it still doesn't really matter who you choose. If you've got some naked companion you haven't used in 20 levels, but he likes what you're saying, let him score the bonus and then wipe on the boss. When you get rez'd by the field medic droid, you can swap companions back to who you want for the fight, and they never need to be the wiser of what happened.) Keep this up until about 8800 affection.

Step 3: Who are you again? When you hit 8800 affection, then you can do the companion missions with them. Never before. These are the easiest, biggest gains of affection you'll find possible. Romance Companion = +120, for example. If you do that when they're low, it's only worth the $800 or so of credits you would have spent on some green gifts. If you do that when they're almost maxed, then each one of those companion comments is the equivalent of thousands of saved credits. So tell her what she wants to hear, and then go flirt with whoever you feel like anyways. And think of it this way; James Bond does not ever actually love those girls he's nailing. Instead, you're manipulating her feelings by lying to her, to make her more likely to perform the tasks you need her to do. It's as cold and detached as you can be.

Once affection is capped out, they officially get drafted into your sweat shop for full time crafting.

It might help if she wasn't uglier than a bulldog...not exactly the hot Bond girl I had in mind.

Not into blondes or some of the Bonds girls that there have been. There are also companion customizations you can buy. None will make her into a blonde, but you can customize her.

Edited by RavensBloodyClaw

There's another reason Kaliyo is so polarizing... she's your only companion for such a long time.

If you sort of dislike her early on, having to wait so long to replace her will make you despise her.

I sort of liked her at first, but she was really starting to grate on me by the time I got to Alderaan.

If you get along really well with her right off the bat, then you're happy to keep her out at all times, so the lack of options won't bother you at all. This is how my Bounty Hunter was with Mako; I never even wanted to use any other companion.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fairly new at the game, my highest char is a lvl 40 Sith Maruader with Vette, a lvl 30 Knight with Kira Carsen, and lvl 20 Sith Sorcerer with Khem Val....I wanted to try something different, and being a fan of the Sniper class from Battlefield, I decided on a Imperial Agent. My idea of an Agent was along the lines of James Bond/Jason Bourne...someone that gets the job done, without a lot of recognition.

When I got Kaliyo, I was ok with it since I liked the tattoo'd look. But what really sold me on her was when we landed in Tatooine....as we went through the space port, a npc walked by and she yelled out "Hey Ugly! Lick my feet for twenty credits? He'll do it! Spot me twenty Credits!". The best conversation though was with a Baron on Alderaan...I introduced myself as a princess of House Thul to gain an audience and introduced Kaliyo as my assistant...she started openly flirting with the Baron...it was hilarious.

So far, the only reason I used Vector was because I had to to finish that particular mission...otherwise, he's a emotionless tool.

When I got Kaliyo, I was ok with it since I liked the tattoo'd look. But what really sold me on her was when we landed in Tatooine....as we went through the space port, a npc walked by and she yelled out "Hey Ugly! Lick my feet for twenty credits? He'll do it! Spot me twenty Credits!"

Hehe....that was on Nar Shaddaa, actually.

. The best conversation though was with a Baron on Alderaan...I introduced myself as a princess of House Thul to gain an audience and introduced Kaliyo as my assistant...she started openly flirting with the Baron...it was hilarious.

That cracked me up too.

"With those manners, you could be royalty".

Levelling my second Agent at the moment and honestly, it's gotten so bad that I decided to turn off the window which shows affection gain/loss. Yeah, sorry for telling the injured soldier to get some help, Kaliyo!

Though receiving -169 after her betrayal was hilarious. What the hell.

Sometimes I like her, sometimes I just want to throw her out of the airlock. But the constant -1's (which bugged me even when I tried to ignore it) are a pain. Seeing as I'm playing an Operative I'm stuck with her until Hoth. :|