The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So Lv 55 cap is being held ransom with this Makeb even if I am a sub?

RaulTheConquerer

Can you choose to enjoy liver and onions? Can you choose to enjoy My Little Pony(Great production quality, so not knocking those that do)? Can you choose to have an affinity for foot arousal?

Do you really "choose" to enjoy anything at all?

It is however their choice to cripple the most important aspect of the game, for me, pvp, until I give them even more money.

no. you like what you like and maybe the word I should have use was "partake".

say you like just plain old pizza. cheese, sauce and nothing else. but the only place that sells it near you? has pizza with everything on it. so you can chose to buy it and just pick off the toppings you don't like, or don't buy it and see if you can find a place that offers you a pizza with JUST the ingredients you want, and nothing more.

but you cannot be angry at the pizzeria for charging you a price of a full slice like they do everyone else, even if you pick off/don't eat most of the toppings.

Edited by Jeweledleah

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a ransom, Its a DLC/Expansion, Look up other DLC's Much like wow, you just won't be able to hit level 55.

Supposedly they are bringing a lot of the HM FPs (if not all), and ops to lvl 55 tier. So its a big deal.

Im not sure what that means for those at lvl 50 though. It would be strange that they have less end game by not buying the expansion than they had before.

The lack of imagination is astounding. Do so many who take issue need me to hold their hands? Ok, then. Come, come!

Purchase price $59.99

Monthly sub fee $14.99x12 = $179.88

Total=$ 239.87

It's very unsightly to observe the number of comments that imply not wanting to add further to these expenses above makes one a cheap skate by virtue of wallet size.

If like myself, you bought the game at retail, theres nothing "free" about this. I'm not clawing for the game for "free".

So enough with the unfounded accusation of "wanting something for nothing". I simply want what i pay for. Unfortunately, i am not granted even that without incurring additional expense.

As a note, i realize there are some of you, according to a small survey i made, who have spent $500 and even $1000 on cartel coins! I'm afraid If you are sitting on an elder dragons horde of cartel coins, we may never see eye to eye on any of this(exception being that Makeb should be purchasable with coins ).

You certainly are using your imagination on this. There is nothing you "hand held" us through that is valid. If it wasn't an industry standard, I might be able to see your point. Since this is nothing outside the norm, I have no idea where you get the idea you are "owed" because you paid a sub fee.

You paid for access at that time, for that month. When the month is over, you got what you paid for. You paid for the game. Big deal. So did 1.7 million other people. Do you have the box and CD? Well then you got what you paid for. Let's look at other games to find out if $10 is outside the norm.

Wow - $30 Mists of Pandaria (no level cap increase)

DDO - $30 Menace of the Underdark (5 level increase)

LotRO - $30 Riders of Rohan (10 level increase)

Rift - $40 Storm Legion (no level cap increase)

Yup. It's outside the norm alright. :rolleyes: The only way it's outside the norm is that it averages a third less than the other MMOs. But to that point, it's really only a third of a real expansion. So you still get what you pay for.

And to your final line, no game lets you buy an unreleased expanion using their game market currency. If you can find one, let me know.

Happy new year!

I just liberated some eggs and bacon. They were being held for ransom at the grocers when clearly they were supposed to be included with my fridge since I'm and eggs and bacon man.

I will probably free Makeb too.

Edited by Rafaman

You certainly are using your imagination on this. There is nothing you "hand held" us through that is valid. If it wasn't an industry standard, I might be able to see your point. Since this is nothing outside the norm, I have no idea where you get the idea you are "owed" because you paid a sub fee.

You paid for access at that time, for that month. When the month is over, you got what you paid for. You paid for the game. Big deal. So did 1.7 million other people. Do you have the box and CD? Well then you got what you paid for. Let's look at other games to find out if $10 is outside the norm.

Wow - $30 Mists of Pandaria (no level cap increase)

DDO - $30 Menace of the Underdark (5 level increase)

LotRO - $30 Riders of Rohan (10 level increase)

Rift - $40 Storm Legion (no level cap increase)

Yup. It's outside the norm alright. :rolleyes: The only way it's outside the norm is that it averages a third less than the other MMOs. But to that point, it's really only a third of a real expansion. So you still get what you pay for.

And to your final line, no game lets you buy an unreleased expanion using their game market currency. If you can find one, let me know.

The problem is that we're being asked to pay for a content patch. Said content patches are typically free in MMOs and have been free in this MMO in the past. The fear is that this will set the precedent that from now on every content patch will be labeled an "expansion" and tagged with a $10 price tag.

You are paying for the EARLY access. The game expansion isn't due to come out officially until like March-April. When the expansion actually DOES come out for everyone, it MAY be free at that time like all the rest of the content is now.

Let's wait and see what happens before we speculate...

The problem is that we're being asked to pay for a content patch. Said content patches are typically free in MMOs and have been free in this MMO in the past. The fear is that this will set the precedent that from now on every content patch will be labeled an "expansion" and tagged with a $10 price tag.

That's simply not true. While some MMOs do release content patches of significant size for free, that is not "typical." In fact, $20 ($10 for subs) is cheaper than most "content patches" of this size. You're hung up on the semantics. BioWare made a mistake in ever calling this a "content update". Even at the time of the old interview announcing a free Makeb, "free expansion" would have sounded better than "free content update."

And really, we don't even know the full size, yet. People are getting ahead of themselves, complaining before they know the details. From what little we do know, it sounds like Makeb will be a smaller expansion than the average WoW expansion. We also know that it is half the price of a WoW expansion, so that may turn out to be a perfectly reasonable pricetag.

Furthermore, a point that not many people bring up is that we don't know the relative size of what Makeb used to be, back when they announced it was going to be free. They may have added more content since then, enough that they now feel Makeb warrants a pricetag.

The point is, we don't know.

-Macheath.

I know where you're coming from and I can't quite agree. A game usually is failing when they go to F2P. Games don't go F2P at the height of their success. Games usually don't launch as F2P. They go F2P after subs peter out and the game is looking like a sub model is no longer going to be feasible.

wrong. lotro went F2P at the height of its success why?? beause it had made alot of money was well recieved and well loved by its fansbase and went f2p to make more money. as you arguably make more money from mirco transactions and expansions that you simply do a sub each money.

for example if x spends £8.99 a month on a sub per month and y spends £20.00 on micro transactions on for example cartel coins and z spends £8.99 on sub and £20.00 in a one month period for cartel coins were are you getting more money from. as theres always people that will spend a fair amont on coins to get things from store per month top that with being a subscriber aswell your getting £30 in a one month period from one person add that up to the many people that will do the same and money is increased from f2p.

so its arguable unless you know turnover records pre f2p and post f2p that having the model we have now has actually increased popularity of the game and brought in a bigger turnover of profits.

I'm not so fussed about the level cap (though I empathise with those that are because it directly affects their chosen playstyle). What worries me more is if all further 'content updates' subsequent to Makeb are also linked to it, basically stating 'ok, from now on you either buy Makeb or no more content for you'.

I don't know that that is going to happen, so I am reserving judgement.

Site any current "content patch" that included a level increase to the cap that was free and I'll take back everything I've said.

We know for sure that 1.7 will be out before Makeb, so that makes 7 content patches with no fee. This "slippery slope" seems to have stairs with non-slip surfaces and sturdy handrails.

But why should I support a game that still has bugs from beta, and introduces new ones with each and ever update and downtime??

Not to mention the vast list of broken promises???And I am not talking just about Makeb but the Apac players that were repeatedly promise solutions that have yet to materialize?

And that is just one in a long line of failed deliveries on their part.Oh and you can say that this was promised before f2p hit, but tell me and the rest of us oh mighty white knight..What led up to this "AAA Game" going free to play?

I wonder how many people are still running M$ Windows? Wait

this game only supports Windows.

wrong. lotro went F2P at the height of its success why?? beause it had made alot of money was well recieved and well loved by its fansbase and went f2p to make more money. as you arguably make more money from mirco transactions and expansions that you simply do a sub each money.

Wrong. LOTRO went F2P because subs were seriously dropping off, and they'd just had a big "success", relatively, with DDO.

If subs had been maintaining, never mind growing I very much doubt LOTRO would have gone F2P.

Monthly car payments don't include free gas for life either.

If all your major competitors are offering free gas for life and you lost 80% of your customers in the past year, you need to seriously think about offering free gas for life, just saying.

Now list all the companies that charged money for an expansion pack:

b) That brought nothing new to the table (as of the information that we have at this point).

Pretty much all of them. Some more levels, new zones, new group missions, sometimes new playable races and sometimes new classes that is what you get in the majority of expansions in all games. Occasionally you get an expansion that brings in a totally new feature.

I can hardly believe that if i pay a sub fee to pvp, that my cap increase is held hostage by EA until i pay them more money. This is outrageous.

I have zero interest in class quests or other random theme park missions, yet the only thing i pay for, pvp, will no longer be competetive for me unless i pay the ransom. If this turns out to be so...Shame on you EA.

Is there any game of worth out there that gives out new levels for free?

It is hardly outrageous, it is the evolution

Edited by Icestar

If all your major competitors are offering free gas for life and you lost 80% of your customers in the past year, you need to seriously think about offering free gas for life, just saying.
Those free play competitors of which you speak will get their money by hook or crook. No company can publish a main title for $30 or $40 and never charge another dime, yet expect the title (or their business) to survive unless they are either somehow immune to P&L or have some other source of revenue feeding it.

Those 80%, or whatever number is the "hot read" for this week, who leave because "all of the major competitors" are giving their games away (ya right ...) will grow up and learn soon enough that free doesn't exist beyond samples. If spending money on a hobby is sacrilegious to them, then their best option may simply be to not have one.

Edited by GalacticKegger