15 dollars for one set of armor?

Mcwall

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In comparison to EVE's $70 monocle, it doesn't seem that bad. Oh wait, I shouldn't be giving them any ideas!

That didn't end too well for EVE the playerbase revolted, did horrible things to the servers and generally embarrassed the hell out of CCP. As a result EVE backed down on a lot of things and spent the next several months fixing bugs.

Maybe what ToR needs is a $70 monocle....

The recently released sets, Valiant Jedi and Sith Raider look pretty decent( though the raider set has no cape like Malgus) but despite this, nearly 1500 Cartel Coins is ridiculous for these sets. That is around 12-15 dollars for a set of in game armor. What do you guys think of this price point?

Just bought a set to outfit my new shadow. I love the armor and am fine with the price, really.

Gold watches and diamond earrings are expensive because of production costs and the rarity of their raw materials (relatively).

There are NO production costs in virtual items (effectively) and NO raw materials (rare or common), the cost of producting such items is effectively $0.00 and as such it is 100% mark-up and 100% profit.

It's like comparing apples and thin air. :)

Gold and ESPECIALLY diamonds, are not that rare.

Terrible analogy is terrible.

Edited by Smashbrother

Dont buy it.

No need for dramas, just dont buy it. There is no better message than that. You will see the prices will lower after that.

The cartel shop is beeing experimented with for several things. They are trying to find out where the biggest profits are and what is worth it at what prices. You buying behaviour is the best weapon you have against/in favor of it.

I personally only bought the Items i did when they were on discount.

Not buying it helps.

Telling them exactly what you think of it also helps. :csw_yoda:

I'm mixed about this.

On the one hand, it's a 'raid/Operations' class armour (at least on the Republic side) and therefore should be higher in value (or the rewards from Operations start to feel meaningless).

On the other hand, is it the start of no new really nice armour being available in-game?

I'll be concerned if we start to see hood down 'basic' Jedi and Sith robes available only on the cartel market.

I'm mixed about this.

On the one hand, it's a 'raid/Operations' class armour (at least on the Republic side) and therefore should be higher in value (or the rewards from Operations start to feel meaningless).

On the other hand, is it the start of no new really nice armour being available in-game?

I'll be concerned if we start to see hood down 'basic' Jedi and Sith robes available only on the cartel market.

That's why we need devs to add the looks we were shown on trailers or lower the prices so they'll be accessible to everyone who starts the game.

That is around 12-15 dollars for a set of in game armor. What do you guys think of this price point?

I think it's too much. But then again, I'm a subscriber (because I like to play endgame some) and think the game should still be P2P and all of the game content, including cosmetic items, should be available for in-game credits. I haven't spent any of my cartel credits yet.

I think the price point is too high because it drives customers away; EA/Bioware would make more money by dropping the price and increasing the number of people who would buy it.

However, none of you are forced to pay cartel coins. I had a huge stiffy for that Valiant Jedi set, wasn't going to buy the coins for it, but was able to purchase it for 1.5 million credits.

If you were running EA, would you choose to spend several tens of millions on significant new content or large scale game innovation with the hope it attracts or retains many hundreds of thousands of subscribers while carrying a high risk of failing, or would you rather spend less than a million recoloring pixes, stuffing them in lottery boxes, and selling $100s of dollars worth a month to 100K or less rabid fans / impulsive purchasers while doling out small cheap content patches?

EA develops more than just MMO's, they produce a wide range of products. Products which are funded by some of their major cash cows such as The Sims franchise. However, also leads to the development of risky titles which do cost money to develop, yet may not turn back the investment.

So any form of additional money you can make out of cash cows, in a business sense is great, as this allows big budget titles to continue being developed. For example Mass Effect, the game sold approximately 3 million copies till date on XBOX 360 and PC. Which has probably yielded EA an income of about 80 million tops. During its first weeks, just a portion of all of that was sold. Yet the game had an estimated development budget of around 40 million.

If EA didn't drag in money through cash cows, they wouldn't have been able to afford the development of Mass Effect 2, let stand 3.

From a gamer perspective, I see these boxes as part of a shift where publishers no longer focus on creating fresh compelling content with the intent to provide a unique gaming experience, but rather focus on delivering the bare minimum of a game and while devoting most of their resources to pushing digital sales of game related items.

You are looking at things far to much from the perspective of a player of a single game. You need to understand that SWTOR's income will far from all be devoted to SWTOR alone.

I think all Armour should be unlocked for your account rather than just the one character. A bit like STO do with there ships in there store. Then at least the price tag does not feel to bad as you can use it for alts etc. I have bought most of the shops in STO for this reason but will not buy armour for just one character. As it is adaptive you can use on any class so worth investing in if was account wide unlock.

Bind to legacy at very least.

Because they spent $200,000,000 making tthis game and lost probably half of their subs in a year's time. This stuff is 100000% optional and considering I see people constantly opening cartel packs I'd say they have no shortage of people willing to spend money. The only people that should be concerned is BW and whether or not they're happy without the amount selling or if they alienating too many with the prices.

I don't see why they can't do it two ways. Make the items obtainable from daily comms or bh comms for the people who don't mind earning it in game as well as the market for the I want it now crowd. I know they did it with the ship parts so why not with everything else

why are you buying crap that any fp or pvp can get you for freen with time spent getting currency.

Simple, most hate not getting enough points in pvp because of all the premades. And FP's most won't queue for and most don't want to run with those too lazy to get pre-HM gear

I know people who have spent over $100 on Random Cartel Boxes... So yeah I doubt we will see any price drops soon with people throwing money away like that....

Sad thing is 60% of all profits from the cash shop go to EA CEO and Executives for there bonuses, then 30% goes towards new cash shop items and 10% goes towards new content for subscribers....

Just guessing with the numbers but I doubt i'm far off :D

Edited by Monoth

People have spent US$25 on vanity mounts and pets in WoW for the longest time.

However, for the first time ever, I am actually *tempted* to buy the cosmetic armor. But only tempted.

Difference is in WoW you get them on all your toons and future toons. They was also speed level adaptive making them very useful for new toons. In SWTOR with the bound and one toon only items, it's just a ripoff.

Edited by XeniteKT

Yes the are, and expensive to produce, at least in decent quailty.

Of course if you own a blood diamond mine, you might beg to differ, I dunno. :eek:

True industrial diamonds aren't that rare relatively but decorative ones are rare enough. Though they can be made these days and didn't that give jewellers fits:p

Gold is valuable for its uses in non decorative stuff as well remember which also affects the price.

True industrial diamonds aren't that rare relatively but decorative ones are rare enough. Though they can be made these days and didn't that give jewellers fits:p

Gold is valuable for its uses in non decorative stuff as well remember which also affects the price.

Indeed :), gold was cheap enough in 1998 for it not to be "worth" mining and many gold exploration surveys were called off (most of which have been resumed in the last 6 years).

Although even then it was not cheap, and by the time you reach a finished product even less so.

Same with diamonds, although you can make industial diamonds to coat your hole cutter releatively inexpensively to produce a finished diamond on a pair of earings in nothing like the same thing.

Now to ignore the pettifogging.

What this all was orginally about was whether a Santa mount which is desinged ONCE and the is totally free to make is worth $18.00 because it is a "vanity item".

The justification that it is, was because a gold watch or a pair of diamond earrings are expensive, which they are because of material costs and production costs, not simply because the are "vanity items".

Where as a $18.00 Santa mount is effectively $17.99 (or more) pure profit. :eek:

Edited by Goretzu