Yet another tired of Credit Spammers thread

Saitada

Yes, it's another one. In the past few days I have gotten several in-game mails from credit sellers. Not to mention fleet being spammed by them. Whispers from out of the blue. Etc. The same 'person' spamming for DAYS. I simply don't understand EA/BW's lack of response to this.

One method of fixing the in-game credit seller mail issue is make it so anyone not on your friends list gets charged a fee that you can set from 0-1000000 credits in addition to the measly 5 credit fee the mail system already charges. Make sales from the GTN and system exempt. (that additional fee goes into the credit sink, not to the actual player). That can/will reduce one side of that issue.

Next thing that can be done is set up a cpl of algorithms in the software that you can add website addresses too. if a 'banned' website is entered into chat, or whisper, or mail.. the account (not the character) is perma banned, so sorry, suck it up.

Finally... there is no excuse at ALL for credit sellers to be able to use the same name to spam their garbage for days on end. Perma ban the accounts, and e-mail addresses associated with them. This is seriously getting ridiculous and if something doesn't change soon.. will be a game breaker for me and i'll take my happy backside somewhere else.

And yes, I add them to my ignore lists after reporting them for spam. EA/BW still needs to get off their lazy asses and do something about this garbage.

Edited by Saitada

Happens in every F2P game. Spammers come out with new tactics all the time. It takes a while for the devs to catch up. Be patient.

Patience isn't my strong suit with this kind of stuff. It's a fast way to get me to cancel my account if something isn't done in a half way timely manner. Been playing P2p and F2p games for a long time. I have zero patience with this particular subject when there ARE things they can do fairly quickly and easily if they got off their dead asses and did them.

Just give us a way to block chat messages with certain strings. Why is anyone who begins a chat message with "SO Cheapest" not immediately banned?

And all that will accomplish is that the spammers will change the opening message.

The only successful anti-RMT spam features I've seen in a game were in CoH. Free accounts were restricted to specific chat channels that either weren't serverwide or weren't standard channels and had their own tab which was easily ignored.

a hide feature with several options that allowed players to block tells/PM's, hide from general searches or could be customized to hide from everyone but select groups of people.

And an email filter that blocked all emails except from people in your guild or on your friends list.

They also had a report/ignore feature that petitioned spammers and added them to your ignore list.

After that the only people that complained about RMT spam were the ones that refused to use the features that blocked spammers.

And all that will accomplish is that the spammers will change the opening message.

The only successful anti-RMT spam features I've seen in a game were in CoH. Free accounts were restricted to specific chat channels that either weren't serverwide or weren't standard channels and had their own tab which was easily ignored.

a hide feature with several options that allowed players to block tells/PM's, hide from general searches or could be customized to hide from everyone but select groups of people.

And an email filter that blocked all emails except from people in your guild or on your friends list.

They also had a report/ignore feature that petitioned spammers and added them to your ignore list.

After that the only people that complained about RMT spam were the ones that refused to use the features that blocked spammers.

Now that type of system would be nice to have implemented in SWTOR.

I don't understand why they don't add the web site addresses to the dirty words filter, it is such a brain dead simple fix.
That's always been my suggested fix... just add the URL of the spammers' sites to a special filter that not only keeps it from actually going out into the chat channel BUT doesn't give the spammer an indication that it wasn't sent.

It should also be something that can be easily updated on the fly by customer service or whoever so it didn't require any kind of patch to add new variations to it.

That's always been my suggested fix... just add the URL of the spammers' sites to a special filter that not only keeps it from actually going out into the chat channel BUT doesn't give the spammer an indication that it wasn't sent.

It should also be something that can be easily updated on the fly by customer service or whoever so it didn't require any kind of patch to add new variations to it.

Another thought what if a new one that is not all ready in the database pops up then they would have to add that ? If they did this New site would be made and the spammers would use those.... IT"S NEVER ENDING CYCLE WERE ALL DOOMED! :cool:

LOTRO has a somewhat similar system. Doesn't have the email filters you mentioned, but it does have a report/ignore feature like you describe. If someone is spamming in a chat channel, you just right click their name and choose "report as spammer" or something like that, and it adds them to your ignore list and creates automatically creates a petition/ticket about them as a goldspammer. Once they implemented it, RMT spamming fell very dramatically. Something like that would be nice here.

Personally, I haven't seen it. Maybe I've been lucky or something? I've only been back about a week, but I have yet to see a single spam message in chat or get any spam mail.

They just need to add in some chat filter options. Like being able to ignore all chat and mail from people under a certain level (which we can manually set ourselves)

Also being able to take yourself off the who list would help as they wouldn't be able to just search for names to spam.

Edited by NasherUK

Another thought what if a new one that is not all ready in the database pops up then they would have to add that ? If they did this New site would be made and the spammers would use those.... IT"S NEVER ENDING CYCLE WERE ALL DOOMED! :cool:

They have to pay for new domain names, and it takes time. It would become not worth it really quickly. Especially if the time it took to block a site address was in hours.

But the real fix is to not use these sites, they are there because people are giving them money. If people want in game credits they should buy unlocks and sell them. Not give money to spamers.

Don't Feed the Spammers :eek:

Edited by Foambreaker

Luckily in-game credits in SWTOR don't have a very high value and they are quite easy to get. So there probably isn't much of a market for them (unlike wow).

They should just allow you to swap cartel coins for a limited amount of credits per month, then they would push goldsellers out of the market entirely. BW could just set an exchange rate so it's impossible for goldfamers to compete.

Edited by NasherUK

The point being that it should be a simple process to add new sites to the filter.

Spammers buy new site (costing them money) or change the way they spam and all Customer Service would have to do is update a database entry and the new site would immediately start being filtered.

There's no way to stop spammers in real time.

The best you can hope to do is to cut down on the amount of time it takes to force them to change their tactics.

Even so, spammers are a nuisance at best and are easily ignored with a single click and not some apocalyptic roadblock to gameplay.

There are plenty of credit spammers on my server. General chat, says, whispers, mails we see em all. And it usually takes a while before bioware even does anything. I blame the terrible customer service of bioware for these problems. They obviously don't bother monitoriing chat channels etc and it takes them forever to respond to report spam or a ticket about it. Terrible customer service showing itself once more.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.