The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Makeb: New Companion?

darkov

So, if we are to believe BioWare, then Makeb expands upon the faction story and makes it a bit more personal (references your character story) without expanding on the character story itself.

With the exception of HK-51, which is a novelty unlock, all companions come from the character story. So does Makeb and the move away from character story mark the end of getting new companions?

I also seem to recall BioWare saying that SGR would come with new companions, not be retro-fitted to existing companions.

So, if we are to believe BioWare, then Makeb expands upon the faction story and makes it a bit more personal (references your character story) without expanding on the character story itself.

With the exception of HK-51, which is a novelty unlock, all companions come from the character story. So does Makeb and the move away from character story mark the end of getting new companions?

I also seem to recall BioWare saying that SGR would come with new companions, not be retro-fitted to existing companions.

Cathar available on you locale Cartel Market....soon™

I'm aware that new races are going on the Cartel Market and don't really have a problem with it, nor if they put companions on it.

But one of the best things about the companions is how they interact with the story. HK-51 is a great DPS companion, but beyond being another part of the combat mechanic is brings nothing to the game. Yet the rest of the companions have some good dialogue and make the story that little bit more interesting.

If Makeb ends this tradition, it is just going to be another slap in the face for everyone who has to date, enjoyed the biggest selling point of this game... the stories.

I saw in one of the Makeb threads someone was saying that we get a new companion. I've not seen anything to confirm that though.

Don't you think that would be a selling point for the expansion? It seems a little strange how little information they've released so far.

The only benefit of Cathar is that I have an obvious "kill me" target. I hate Cather. Ergo any Cathar players (opposite-faction) that I see on my server I will kill (damn you Nar Shadda neutral area!).

I hope they make Cather 2500 CCs, since I really HATE Cathar.

The only benefit of Cathar is that I have an obvious "kill me" target. I hate Cather. Ergo any Cathar players (opposite-faction) that I see on my server I will kill (damn you Nar Shadda neutral area!).

Tell us how you really feel :p

tell us how you really feel :p

hatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehate

They have mentioned in the past that companion content is incredibly expensive to make, and that they have no plans to add to the current companions. So perhaps something on the scale of HK-51 (which is shared between all classes and factions). I'm not sure if we will see new class specific companions, or for that matter, content involving the current companions.

I still wonder though, because of this:

Seems to indicate that VO has been recorded for the game not just in advance before it came out, but voice actors were brought in to record new VO in May.

How they handle same gender romance content could be a clue to how they may go about adding companion content in the future.

My biggest fear is what will happen to this game after they run out of pre-recorded VO to use.

Edited by Marb

hatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehate

At least it isn't wookies.

They have mentioned in the past that companion content is incredibly expensive to make, and that they have no plans to add to the current companions.

Such a well thought out business plan. They should have spent money to create tech to make this kind of stuff easy, it was 100% obvious that this is the stuff players were going to want more of. And personal stories of course, which have the same problem.

Agreed, Kathar > Cathar! Too bad the Kathar are from another IP :-/

They have mentioned in the past that companion content is incredibly expensive to make, and that they have no plans to add to the current companions. So perhaps something on the scale of HK-51 (which is shared between all classes and factions). I'm not sure if we will see new class specific companions, or for that matter, content involving the current companions.

I still wonder though, because of this:

Seems to indicate that VO has been recorded for the game not just in advance before it came out, but voice actors were brought in to record new VO in May.

How they handle same gender romance content could be a clue to how they may go about adding companion content in the future.

My biggest fear is what will happen to this game after they run out of pre-recorded VO to use.

Well, this doesn't bode well for those wanting SGR, since they need a new companion for it.

Maybe we'll get one (or two) shared companions like HK-51, which is part of the Makeb storyline and is also open to SGR.

Obviously this is ridiculous, but in that old survey about the makeb expansion there was mention of an ewok companion. I don't have the link for it but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Now do I actually think this will happen? Probably not, but one can hope ;)

I'm aware that new races are going on the Cartel Market and don't really have a problem with it, nor if they put companions on it.

But one of the best things about the companions is how they interact with the story. HK-51 is a great DPS companion, but beyond being another part of the combat mechanic is brings nothing to the game. Yet the rest of the companions have some good dialogue and make the story that little bit more interesting.

If Makeb ends this tradition, it is just going to be another slap in the face for everyone who has to date, enjoyed the biggest selling point of this game... the stories.

I read something awhile back that stated that HK would have more dialogue, much like the current companions do, with Makeb.

Can't find the article at the moment, but I know I read it somewhere. Whether that is still the case, or if it's been changed since I don't know.

I read something awhile back that stated that HK would have more dialogue, much like the current companions do, with Makeb.

Can't find the article at the moment, but I know I read it somewhere. Whether that is still the case, or if it's been changed since I don't know.

None of this really sounds good for the prospects of getting a new companion or SGR.

Obviously this is ridiculous, but in that old survey about the makeb expansion there was mention of an ewok companion. I don't have the link for it but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Now do I actually think this will happen? Probably not, but one can hope ;)

No No No No Please!

Ewoks are the one thing that is worse than Jar Jar.

Thought they said Makeb won't be continueing our 8 class stories, but just adding more storyline. So if that's true then yea, don't expect more companions.

To give you all a better idea of Makeb's scope, it's a planet of equal size to our larger planets and it contains a variety of areas – sprawling mesas, underground caverns, garden estates, and more. It introduces faction-specific storylines, new Heroic missions and bosses, repeatable mission series, and new Datacrons! The 5 new levels will occupy players for a fair amount of time, and there's plenty of content to get you there (including a lot of stuff tucked away for the explorers out there). Keep in mind that this announcement is just the start – as we approach Makeb's launch, you'll see more details about the content coming with Rise of the Hutt Cartel!

Not class specific stories, just faction. In other words, your dialog on republic throughout the makeb missions will be different from the imperial.

• 7 months later...