Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

So much for not charging subs for Makeb

Lucyfer_Infinity

I'm more curious about how they keep deciding on price points, new expansion with quests, planet and such. Subs preorder for 10$. New set of orange gear in CM more than 10$ and life day pack 20$ when the small stuff like that is valued at a bigger price kinda puts me off.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.swtor.com/buy

Lies, lies, lies, lies, lies, lies. Is all we ever hear from you bioware. 5 lvl cap increase and 1 planet is your definition of paid expansion bioware? Really?

Get a grip it's 9.99 not 39.99 like wow's expansions than really are not that big for the money.

It's sad the amount of time people spend complaining about such petty stuff on these boards.

I'm sure there is a disconnect of info. But the James quote is quite old (may/June) and the Jeff Hickman is from August. Sorry but the latest Hickamn quote supercedes the James quote as it was the most recent.

Well yes, I agree.

Link to interview with Jeff Hickman in which he says they are not sure if subscribers will have to pay or not. Dated August the 18:th.

From interview.

What (if anything) will subscribers have to pay for after F2P launches?

Jeff Hickman: I wish I had a solid answer for you on that. We’re still in discussion about some of the larger content updates that we’re planning. Great example is the planet Makeb. We’ve talked about Makeb, we have a lot of plans around Makeb. I wish I could give you more details, but I can tell you that I think the playerbase is going to be really, really pleased. More story content. New and interesting things for the players to do. More systems and interesting functions in the game … I can’t go into a lot of detail, but around things like that … This is a pretty big piece (of content). It is probably all that I can say. It is definitely still for discussion whether we sell that to the subscriber or the subscriber gets that for free because it is a big beefy chunk of content.

So we do know that in August they were not quite certain on whether or not to charge for Makeb and they said so. Now it appears that it will be charged for. They feel there is a big amount of content. If you feel that it costs too much, then perhaps you should wait a little to actually see what is in it. If you are complaining that at some point it was free. Well.. Then I agree with MrSchmo here.

In August they were thinking about charging for it since they believe that it was a big update. And they said so. They were at least coming with information to us. I do not feel that this is a unfair price nor that they are wrong to charge. If the only reason one is complaining is because at one point they thought about doing things a different way. Well, then we know why they do not communicate with us. Because we take all their first information as gold plated not up for change truths. We do not see them as talking about things in the future and how they are now thinking about implementing them. We apparently see it as a word from above, this is how it shall be, woe us if there is any future change. Which is why we have no more communication until things are actually ready to go into the game. They know that if anything changes from their first statement on a fact, we will lash out. So now we get silence. Not sure that this is better.

I subscribe, so the money I spent pre-ordering this expansion is less than what I spent going to see The Hobbit last week, it seems like a reasonable sum. Why I've already got it ordered, because I play everyday pretty much and have fun. I vote with my wallet so this is easy to do for me. And I do understand that things change, for me I would actually prefer that they could come with information, come up with updates on that information if it was needed. But I do see how they might reason that silence until it is packed and ready to go might be an option.

I know that Ohlen said it was an update not an expansion, but did he ever call it a "free update?" I'm interested because last time they made a promise about future content (where they actually stated it in writing) was Ranked PvP and after they failed to deliver we got a free month. So does this mean all subs get a free month for them breaking their promise?

Sorry to all you drones that think it is about "$10". It isn't, it is the prinicple behind Bioware calling this a content patch barely 6 months ago, and now after Hickman slimes his way on board, it's suddenly a pay-for expansion, even to subscribers.

The $10 is nothing. Today alone, I spent $30 to Funcom for TSW and $20 to SOE for two Legends characters for DCUO. That's $50.

But I will not spend $10 to EA for this blatant BS, nor $15/mo any longer to them for a sub. I tried. In the end, they can keep it.

LOL OMG everyone complain is just nit picking over a game.. Really come on guys... They never said Makeb would be free and with the amount of content in it 9.99 is nothing. Stop wasting time complaining about something you cannot change. Maybe give solid feedback on what you want in future update.

People are arguing semantics over an issue that should have never been an argument.

It was stated that Makeb would be part of the biggest non-expansion ever...but it has now been included in an expansion.

It was stated that subscribers wouldn't have to pay for updates...Makeb is no longer an update.

Everything else is inferred in whatever way the reader/listen chooses to infer it because it is a vague statement where the interviewer tries to lead the interviewee into answering a question.

But the most important things to remember about anything is that...things change. This game does not exist solely for your enjoyment. It exists to make money for its developer. If it doesn't make money, it won't be around for our enjoyment.

If you expect every statement ever made to you to be an immutable promise that can't possibly be changed then you have yet to enter the real world where life changes on a daily and often times hourly basis.

Get over it. If you don't like paying 10 bucks for pre-order and early access, don't pay it. If you want to use CC to buy it...wait til it is released in the Cartel Market. If you feel like you've been slighted or lied to you can leave at any time since EA/BW is going to do things based on their business needs, not your false sense that nothing can ever change once someone says something about it.

This ridiculous argument right here is why game developers hate to communicate with the player base. Whiners and gripers who complain about everything just because they have some mistaken belief that nothing can ever change once a developer says something.

TLDR: If you don't like it, let EA/BW know by not playing or paying and stop arguing semantics.

People are arguing semantics over an issue that should have never been an argument.

It was stated that Makeb would be part of the biggest non-expansion ever...but it has now been included in an expansion.

It was stated that subscribers wouldn't have to pay for updates...Makeb is no longer an update.

Everything else is inferred in whatever way the reader/listen chooses to infer it because it is a vague statement where the interviewer tries to lead the interviewee into answering a question.

But the most important things to remember about anything is that...things change. This game does not exist solely for your enjoyment. It exists to make money for its developer. If it doesn't make money, it won't be around for our enjoyment.

If you expect every statement ever made to you to be an immutable promise that can't possibly be changed then you have yet to enter the real world where life changes on a daily and often times hourly basis.

Get over it. If you don't like paying 10 bucks for pre-order and early access, don't pay it. If you want to use CC to buy it...wait til it is released in the Cartel Market. If you feel like you've been slighted or lied to you can leave at any time since EA/BW is going to do things based on their business needs, not your false sense that nothing can ever change once someone says something about it.

This ridiculous argument right here is why game developers hate to communicate with the player base. Whiners and gripers who complain about everything just because they have some mistaken belief that nothing can ever change once a developer says something.

TLDR: If you don't like it, let EA/BW know by not playing or paying and stop arguing semantics.

Its not about the $9.99. It won't be available in the Cartel Market.

Its not about the $9.99. It won't be available in the Cartel Market.

I'm more than willing to bet that at some point in the future this DLC will be available for purchase through the Cartel Market. Probably around the same time that they announce the following expansion to the game.

Right away it looks like it won't be, however, which means you either pay 10 bucks as a subscriber, 20 bucks as a freeper or 0 bucks as a person left behind in old content.

Regardless, whining about how EA changed their mind and made Makeb an expansion instead of a large update won't do any good. Although, to be honest, I'd love to see them add the planet Makeb into the game for free but only allow interaction to content on Makeb to people who have purchased the expansion. This would satisfy those who seem to believe all statements are promises that can never, ever be broken.

I'm more than willing to bet that at some point in the future this DLC will be available for purchase through the Cartel Market. Probably around the same time that they announce the following expansion to the game.

Right away it looks like it won't be, however, which means you either pay 10 bucks as a subscriber, 20 bucks as a freeper or 0 bucks as a person left behind in old content.

Regardless, whining about how EA changed their mind and made Makeb an expansion instead of a large update won't do any good. Although, to be honest, I'd love to see them add the planet Makeb into the game for free but only allow interaction to content on Makeb to people who have purchased the expansion. This would satisfy those who seem to believe all statements are promises that can never, ever be broken.

They have spoken. It won't be on the Cartel Market.

To answer the question posed here about purchasing Rise of the Hutt Cartel:

We'd like to clarify that Rise of the Hutt Cartel will be available for purchase through SWTOR.com/buy only, and there won't be an option to purchase it using Cartel Coins.

Another person that just doesnt grasp it. People ARE leaving . Theyve BEEN leaving over the way EA/BW runs this game. Doing the same is BAD. someone needs to hit jeff hickman in the nose with a newspaper and say NO. BAD.

Another person that just doesnt grasp it. People ARE leaving . Theyve BEEN leaving over the way EA/BW runs this game. Doing the same is BAD. someone needs to hit jeff hickman in the nose with a newspaper and say NO. BAD.

I do get it and know people are leaving.. It happens with every MMO and that mmo release a expansion and they check it out again.

I'm not saying Makeb will bring people back. I've said all along a Space expansion with free open space will bring tons of people back..

the other thing in pvp reform.. Take a look at doing some RVR and open world objectives. ( which they suppose to be adding some to Makeb)

I do get it and know people are leaving.. It happens with every MMO and that mmo release a expansion and they check it out again.

I'm not saying Makeb will bring people back. I've said all along a Space expansion with free open space will bring tons of people back..

the other thing in pvp reform.. Take a look at doing some RVR and open world objectives. ( which they suppose to be adding some to Makeb)

Actually at this stage one of the few things that I believe will bring people back is more class story. I doubt what they have in mind for a space expansion will be good enough to keep people now.

How I spent 10$ today.

I bought two gallons of milk. Some chicken potatos n a candy bar.

It will last me a few days. I put 60$ in my gas tank every two weeks. That's 6 xpacs.

IMO if ten dollars sends you into a nerd rage, get a job.

My only concern is raids at 55. But they will give me something I can sense it cuz I'm a mother****ing Jedi.

This I will whole heartedly agree with. Free space combat would be amazing and a game saver.

Actually at this stage one of the few things that I believe will bring people back is more class story. I doubt what they have in mind for a space expansion will be good enough to keep people now.

Well there have been countless post on the space issue. If they follow those idea then they will hit it out of the ball park..

But they might screw it up. who knows.. But a good space expansion will do the trick a bad one people will go Fudge it and go try elder Scrolls or Arche Age..

Edited by Galvatron

Get a grip it's 9.99 not 39.99 like wow's expansions than really are not that big for the money.

It's sad the amount of time people spend complaining about such petty stuff on these boards.

If it was the size of any of the WoW expansions, i would gladly throw up to 50$ at them right here right now. But since it's just a pathetic small content update that was promised to subs for free and was rebranded to expansion, no way in hell not even 1$. I pay sub content updates should be free.

If it was the size of any of the WoW expansions, i would gladly throw up to 50$ at them right here right now. But since it's just a pathetic small content update that was promised to subs for free and was rebranded to expansion, no way in hell not even 1$. I pay sub content updates should be free.

Have you played Makeb yet?

I would consider a Warzone update or a OPs update a smalle update..

A new planet, level cap raise, new skills, new quest, fully voiced questline, new gear, and prob more as they haven't released all the info hardly a small patch.

I hope they are but you have ZERO insight to any of their profits. For all we know they are breaking even.

Point I'm trying it make is I will gladly give them $10 because I like the product. I support the game. They aren't asking for 50 or 60.

You can't make statements like "they are making tons of cartel coins" when you have no proof of their financial situation. That said, anyone complaining about 10 dollars is more than welcome to vote with their wallet.

Understand Bioware EA aren't making anything, EA makes it, Bioware EA is just a department of EA, SWTOR could make $1,000,000,000 however that doesn't mean EA will return $1 of it to Bioware EA.

The two things are independent. Profits = EA and shareholder dividends, they aren't kept "in house".

How I spent 10$ today.

That's actually a pretty good deal you got there for all that, I may to find out where you shop.

At least I assume the chicken and potatoes are separate, I'm not sure what a chicken potato is.

How I spent 10$ today.

It will last me a few days. I put 60$ in my gas tank every two weeks. That's 6 xpacs.

IMO if ten dollars sends you into a nerd rage, get a job.

My only concern is raids at 55. But they will give me something I can sense it cuz I'm a mother****ing Jedi.

Tonight alone I spent $3,736.58. Small office party for my employee's at the locale Adult entertainment establishment. Its not about $9.99

Edited by Taorus

How is this thread still alive when the facts are so very clear?

At first, it was said that Makeb would probably be free for subs.

Then, nearing F2P, it was said that regular content updates would be free for subs. This was proven to be correct when we received a new raid tier and Section X as well as a companion for free.

Then, it was very clearly communicated, multiple times, that the cost of Makeb was still under discussion and that it could cost money even for subs.

Now, it was announced it will cost for subs, though at a discount compared to F2P.

What I don't see.. is how this can be considered 'lying to your customer'?

Lets put it this way:

At first, your friend said he wanted to have a drink with you next month.

Then, nearing the actual date, he said that he might not be able to come because his mother is sick in the hospital.

Then, a few days before, he said he probably would not come because she only got more and more ill.

Now, the night of drinking has come and he has not arrived.

Would you be pissed off at your friend because a month ago, when things were completely different for him, he said he wanted to have a drink with you?

If you would, than you are the problem and not your friend.

If you are as pissed off as some people are in this thread about this timeline of communication than it is, again, you that are the problem and not Bioware/EA.

I refer to non-Yahtzee quote in my sig and leave this thread.

Edited by Devlonir

At first, it was said that Makeb would probably be free for subs.

Well to be fair it was clearly said it WOULD be free for subs.

But yes things change (and have), but what was actually said does not.

Personally I think the real outrage now is that it will never be availble in the Cashshop, only for an extra cash purchase.

Edited by Goretzu

Personally I think the real outrage now is that it will never be availble in the Cashshop, only for an extra cash purchase.

---- edit ---- nvm, found the thread with the Bioware post. Shame to hear that really. So people that were saving Cartel Coins for the Expacs are being screwed over. This is something I also do not agree with.

Edited by Devlonir

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.