So much for not charging subs for Makeb

Lucyfer_Infinity

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you have to pay for Makeb as a subscriber? I have one name for you....Jeff Hickman.

It's funny how he never mentions about what game he used to work on. Probably because they are all dead.

Not to mention he said they will NOT sell purple gear in the cash shop.

That dude has zero credibility, just like pretty much the whole Bioware. James Ohlen, Daniel Ericsson, they all fed us BS too.

It is the money that matters. It matters that they are pinching us for everything they can squeeze from us. They are also going back on what they said without acknowledging what they said previously. If your word cannot be trusted then why should I believe anything a person or company says.

@Macheath

Yes it did switch to also a free to play model. But I was and am still a subscriber. That price did not go up or down since the change. Bioware is now making money from f2p and subscribers now. So why am I getting screwed over? Charge the f2p'ers for expansion. For 10$ give it to subscribers.

Edited by Jerzer

Easy solution: Buy the 'digital upgrade', cancel your sub for half a month or a whole month (you should spend Christmas with your family anyhow), resub. The devs said that nothing will really happen over the holidays because most of the staff is away for Christmas. Buy the upgrade and save a month of subscription fees. This way you get the new stuff for free. Anyone should be able to find two weeks between subs where playing this game might not be necessary, right? Just take a break from the game! Edited by ThrillInstructor

Its not the money that is at fault here as it could be £5 or £50, its the fact they said that it would cost nothing extra to subscribers, and we dont have a choice in this, as a subscriber if you wish to advance you have to buy this no matter how big or small it is. That sets a president for future patchs, they could simply hold content back and bunch it together in one big patch and stamp expansion on that too. Edited by Shingara

Not to mention he said they will NOT sell purple gear in the cash shop.

And they haven't. Unless you think sub-lvl 50 purple gear has somekind of effect on game balance... Even then you can always buy that same gear from the GTM.

Its not the moeny that is at fault here, its the fact they said that it would cost nothing extra to subscribers

Yes, and they later took that back... before they announced this expansion thingy. It's like you would be mad at your friend because he didn't show up at your birthday party to which he promised to come but still notified you in advance to let you know he can't make it afterall.

Edited by byteresistor

Because

"Six hours into playing Battlefiel​d, and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that time."

- EA CEO John Riccitiell​o

Based on the interview with James Ohlen 6 months ago some of this content was supposed to be free. Why was this changed? I feel like Bioware is trying to nickel and dime me with an expansion pack. I already pay 15$ a month why are you trying to squeeze 10$ more out of me? Here is the link to the video showing Makeb was intended to be a free addition not an expansion pack.

http://starwarstorguide.blogspot.com/2012/12/pre-order-makeb-its-supposed-to-be-free.html

I seriously hope there is alot more to this xpac to force squeeze money out of me. I hope a company representative will explain this.

To all you people who subscribe to this game that are saying, "What's $10.00? It's nothing and we are getting an expansion."

First off, it's not an expansion, is a content update, that's it.

Second, whe EA starts charging you for updates, will you say, "What's .99 cents and we are getting it half off because free to play people have to pay $1.99"?

We pay a sub fee for content such as this. What's the point of having a sub if you have to pay for content updates?

To all you people who subscribe to this game that are saying, "What's $10.00? It's nothing and we are getting an expansion."

First off, it's not an expansion, is a content update, that's it.

Second, whe EA starts charging you for updates, will you say, "What's .99 cents and we are getting it half off because free to play people have to pay $1.99"?

We pay a sub fee for content such as this. What's the point of having a sub if you have to pay for content updates?

8€ for:

-A new planet

-5 moar lvls

-New quests and story

-New Skills in skill tree

-New habilities

-New FPs and new Hard modes.

-New Operations

-New WZs (????)

-New Race (????)

Dude....ppl payed 40 bucks for every wow expansion giving almost the same.

8€ for:

-A new planet

-5 moar lvls

-New quests and story

-New Skills in skill tree

-New habilities

-New FPs and new Hard modes.

-New Operations

-New WZs (????)

-New Race (????)

And the only things we know for sure are the first 3 things on that list. The rest is madey-upy. Especially the part about the skill trees..yeah I'm sure they have a team hard-at-work updating all the talent trees for all 16 advanced classes...no no, I believe it, ignore my hysterical laughing. New abilities you say? Suuuure...new abilities from the team that can't figure out how to implement hood toggle...tell it again, I like this story!

8€ for:

-A new planet

-5 moar lvls

-New quests and story (no class story)

-New Skills in skill tree (we dont know we are getting that)

-New habilities (they could just upgrade the skills we have)

-New FPs and new Hard modes. ( not a word on that, they could simply set nightmare modes to 55)

-New Operations ( no word on this )

-New WZs (????)

-New Race (????)

we have no information beyond its a new planet with hutts on it and we will get 5 new levels.

Edited by Shingara

So I keep watching that video, and James Ohlen never states that it was going to be free. The *interviewer* started talking about other games that released content "semi-free" then he just asked "is Makeb really that big?" and Ohlen said "it's a whole planet".

There was a survey around around last summer, I don't know if anyone kept any screengrabs, but it was basically listing a bunch of different price options paired with various extra content (like Cathar, pets, mounts), obviously trying to see how much people were willing to pay for the digital expansion. This wasn't anything out of the blue, folks.

So I keep watching that video, and James Ohlen never states that it was going to be free. The *interviewer* started talking about other games that released content "semi-free" then he just asked "is Makeb really that big?" and Ohlen said "it's a whole planet".

There was a survey around around last summer, I don't know if anyone kept any screengrabs, but it was basically listing a bunch of different price options paired with various extra content (like Cathar, pets, mounts), obviously trying to see how much people were willing to pay for the digital expansion. This wasn't anything out of the blue, folks.

Yup watched the video and James Ohlen clearly said that Makeb will not be in an expansion to SWTOR.

Sadly people will buy it and let them get away with their lies.

He said it's not an expansion ("non-expansion"). We were told at a different time that subs would never have to pay for anything that was not an expansion.

Can you connect the dots from there?

Yup watched the video and James Ohlen clearly said that Makeb will not be in an expansion to SWTOR.

Sadly people will buy it and let them get away with their lies.

You're correct, he called it basically the biggest content update aside from expansions. However he did not say it was free.

I do recall another interview from a few months back where they were saying they hadn't decided whether or not they were going to charge for Makeb. I can't seem to find the source now though. There was a lot of discussion about it on the forums at the time.

I'm just saying I saw this coming - again refer to my comment about the survey that was going around last summer.

Edited by chuixupu

It sucks that BioWare has to go back on what they said, but we have to show some understanding. We can't expect free expansions from a free to play game; that's an unrealistic expectation on our part. Switching to the free to play model is a huge change, and we can't expect every promise made before that shift to hold up.

The price of this expansion is roughly half the price of a new WoW expansion (and half again if you pre-order as a subscriber.) So long as it provides us at least half of the content of a typical WoW expansion, I don't think anyone has a right to complain that they're charging for it.

-Macheath.

It is not an EXPANSION. He slapped EXPANSION behind the title so hickman could justify charging for it.

Interviewer:

"You were talking about Makeb, now that sounds like a big piece of content. How big is it?"

James Ohlen:

"Well I think, it's basically the biggest non expansion pack piece of content that I think any online game has ever released at one time"

Edited by Jerzer

If you spend half the time it took you to type out this responce, you'd know it wasn't about $10.

Oh I know, it's not about $10. It's about people with first world problems and little perspective on what's important in life, but then folks don't like to admit that to themselves.

You're correct, he called it basically the biggest content update aside from expansions. However he did not say it was free.

I do recall another interview from a few months back where they were saying they hadn't decided whether or not they were going to charge for Makeb. I can't seem to find the source now though. There was a lot of discussion about it on the forums at the time.

I'm just saying I saw this coming - again refer to my comment about the survey that was going around last summer.

So you couldn't connect the dots between non-expansion pack and subs do not have to pay for any game content that is not an expansion pack?

Okay, breaking this down. If it is not an expansion pack (slapping expansion on it does not an expansion make) and we were not supposed to be charged for anything except expansion packs, then they are breaking a promise they made at E3 (something they were boasting about).

You can say all you want 'oh they took it back later' but that's EXACTLY the problem. They took it back and we are calling them out on it. When they first went wishy washy about it a few threads cropped up of people complaining, but they were all promptly told to crawl back in their holes and die because they were haters and to just wait and see because surely they wouldn't charge subs for it.

Well we waited and now we see and we see that we were right to get upset the first go 'round, but we can't go back and take the red pill instead now so we have to complain about it NOW.

Interviewer:

"You were talking about Makeb, now that sounds like a big piece of content. How big is it?"

James Ohlen:

"Well I think, it's basically the biggest non expansion pack piece of content that I think any online game has ever released at one time"

I like how Jeff Hickman called it a "big beefy chunk of content."

Oh I know, it's not about $10. It's about people with first world problems and little perspective on what's important in life, but then folks don't like to admit that to themselves.

Keep telling yourself that, maybe you'll feel better after you've gotte the wool trimmed from your eyes.