life day items on cartel market insulting.

gabarooni

He's not using a magic 8-ball, unfortunately he's directly quoting what an EA exec said about 6 months ago now. :(

Disingenuous. Only one part of the statement was a quote, and it wasn't a prediction, therefore not what the person you quoted was referring to.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disingenuous. Only one part of the statement was a quote, and it wasn't a prediction, therefore not what the person you quoted was referring to.

He gets confused a lot. You'll have to over look it.

SNIP…

Would you be ok to pay for such an event? And if so how much would be reasonable?

SNIP...)

As a subscriber, an event like the plague event or if Life Day was similar, no I would not pay for it. The $15 a month does have to go toward new playable content at some point. Not just access to the game and bug fixes, actual playable content.

However, themed cosmetic gear and lets be honest as this point that's all it is with no actual event. I say sell it.

Edited by Quraswren

Well you post an awful, awful lot on this subject for someome that absolutely doesn't care one way or another about any of it. :confused:

I didn't care about the event one way or the other. I am simply posting and offering my opinion on why selling Life Day items on the cartel market is not insulting nor anything else negative, because I do not find it to be such. Therefore, I will be speaking with my wallet and continue to buy things in the cartel market to support a game I still very much enjoy playing.

BJ

He gets confused a lot. You'll have to over look it.

To be fair when you say price doesn't matter and then say price does matter and then say you don't care if there's and event and then that you do care, it's hard not to get confused. :csw_yoda:

As a subscriber, an event like the plague event or if Life Day was similar, no I would not pay for it. The $15 a month does have to go toward new playable content at some point. Not just access to the game and bug fixes, actual playable content.

You'd have no choice though, in that context, if you want to experience it you'd have to pay for it.

However, themed cosmetic gear and lets be honest as this point that's all it is with no actual event. I say sell it.
Which is strange becasue the rewards for pretty much every event are themed cosmetic gear and mounts (see again I'm confused by this). :confused: Edited by Goretzu

those of us that remember the rakgoul (sp) plague and chevin events will miss the days before F2P / cartel market. I foresee events in the future requiring your to pay (real cash) for the events and rewards that go with them. Im not going to quit the game, i am just gonna sit here behind the screen and stew in my anger toward the decision makers of this game.

I didn't care about the event one way or the other. I am simply posting and offering my opinion on why selling Life Day items on the cartel market is not insulting nor anything else negative, because I do not find it to be such. Therefore, I will be speaking with my wallet and continue to buy things in the cartel market to support a game I still very much enjoy playing.

BJ

So out of interest what price point would you say was too much for Life Day Packs?

Title says it all really but I'll elaborate, please note this isnt a "BW SUX LOL" thread. I'm putting a lot of thought and effort in this post

With today's 1.6 patch I dont even know anymore if Ill stick around as a paying subscriber. Why? So many reasons!

First of all lets start with the patch itself, it came out very fast, about 3hours before they said it would be and thats a good thing right? Wrong. There's inherent bugs in it that should've been fixed and plain lies in the patchnotes. Items instantly binding to people from Cartel packs? Subscribers not being able to log in but being put in a queue (to which the CS doesnt even bother to reply), apparently low XP from Warzones and a few others Ive seen floating around. Come on BioWare, this was your moment to shine! 1.5 brought so many tasty goodies! A Cartel Market that was optional and more people coming in to play, it was going to be fun!

But then the greed kicked in didnt it? This brings me to part two.

You're getting greedy BioWare/EA (I dont know who is to blame here so I'll keep putting both) and I dont like it.

You're selling Life Day stuff exclusively on the Cartel Market, why? If the subscribers got something out of it, fine but we dont get anything except some fireworks (woohoo....nice 1 year anniversary), and before people think Im being "entitled", this isn't being entitled. The people who subscribe have one up on the F2P people and this is past the no limits on Ops and Warzones. I pay $15 a month for this game and I was planning on staying a subscriber simply because Id hope that I wasnt going to be excluded from special stuff like this, but now it appears I am being excluded unless I pay extra on top of my subscription and I cant afford that.

And then there's the new Grade 7 Space stuff. If this is any indication for your Super Secret Space Project you can cancel it, its money grabbing. You know damn well that a lot of people will be too lazy to earn all those comms/creds and whatnots. I hope that people realize that this is also something thats simply NOT done and express this by not buying the upgrades and not playing the new Space missions.

And then I just read that there's no events planned for either the anniversary OR Christmas? Im not a religious person and I dont really care about Christmas but even I recognise it as THE holiday of most of your customers.

Again this was a chance for you to shine BioWare! No Life Day event means that the Life Day stuff you put on the Cartel Market will have no significant value since lets be honest, it aint that pretty.

All of these things combined make me fear BioWare... it makes me fear for the new species, will they be Cartel Market only? Will subscribers have to pay extra for them? And what about Makeb? How big of an expansion will it be and will subscribers get any good deals on that? What about the good old CE vendor? Are you forgetting about that? Will you finally get all of your CS representatives to the same competence since some of them really suck at following their scripting or have no imagination to think outside of the box (Im available if you need me, Ive done it before)? Or will you give up on us, your loyal people, and only care about money? Are you going to play the money game rather than the game game.

You guys are BioWare for pete's sake! You guys made RPG's to what they are today! Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Knight of the Old Republic, Dragon Age: Origins and even Mass Effect 1! gosh darnit, you're making me angry here! And sad... sad because we dont want to lose a company that contributed so much to us. Angry because you are letting yourself get played like idiots!

So I implore you developers, artists, writers, programmers and management of BioWare. Leave BioWare/EA behind if they are in the way between you and great games, if they force you onto this mediocrity of gaming. Dont let yourself become part of a milkmachine like Activision and EA Sports.

Leave or tell EA where to stick it and make some GOOD content for SWTOR (and other games) with thoughts to the FANS and not the money. I understand you guys have a certain ROI you need to make, but this isnt how to do it. This is thinking on short term.

Show us that you love us as much as we love you, because we have infinite love for you and your games.

Please, turn it in the other direction when it was good. Remember that we always love you and we know its not all your fault

To the people who are making these "business choices": I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Well, first off, I just say EAWare. BioWare was bought out by EA, and no longer it exist. Yes the BioWare logo is on the game and the forums. But that's just a marketing trick used by EA. They buy up well known companies, run them into the ground, and then shut them down.

That said, EAWare has no quality assurance to begin with. We've always seen countless bugs added to the game after each patch, and many of them take months to be fixed. I dont know why you'd be surprised here. :p

I'm not religious either. Agnostic actually, but that doesnt mean I dont enjoy social events in MMOs. Like ringing bells and running around in a freaking Santa outfit like I did in FFXIV when it first released. And all of the countless events I participated in on FFXI.

I would enjoy an actual event in SW:TOR (and not a half assed one). But they had 2 choices. Make a new event using more resources to create said event. Or make for a quick cash grab with holiday cartel packs instead. Obviously, a game that has lost many of its subscribers since launch, along with the cost to produce, and the upkeep, they needed a quick cash grab instead. Dont expect this to change anytime soon.

Ofcourse they're sure people dont wanna play their on rails space missions. They've known this for a while. Ofcourse they know people will spend money on their lottery packs. It's why it was invented in the first place. :p

You guys are BioWare for pete's sake!

EAWare. BioWare died on Oct 11th, 2007. EA has always been a money grabbing company, that doesnt care about their customers or gamers. Their attitude will continue to be the same.

People should have KNOWN that limited time items would be priced as high or higher than regular CM items because that's how ALL limited time items work even in the real world.

Sorry but that is utter nonsense how could anybody have possibly known that there'd:

1. Be time limited items for Life Day.

2. That they'd cost 4 months worth of 6 month rate subscription coins per character.

1)no one knew IF they would do a Life Day I grant that. However, from what I gather most MMOs (and other types of online games that have a cash shop from my experience) do some sort of holiday/seasonal celebration. So it sounds to me like people expected there to be some sort of Life Day theme, they just weren't sure if there would be or what form such a theme would take. If anyone bothered to look at EA's F2P branch EASY they'd know that EA likes to sell items in their cash shop that are holiday themed and have very little in the way of free goodies, if they give away any freebees.

Assuming for the moment that people didn't bother to look up EASY I don't see why people didn't ever think the devs would take advantage of the season to sell things in the CM. Even if they had an event that gave free stuff (which would apparently follow other MMO's) it's not a stretch of logic to assume that they would sell stuff, at exactly the current prices, that were holiday themed and exclusive to the CM. From a business standpoint to do otherwise would miss a golden opportunity to earn extra money by slapping on the "limited time only" tag on a few items.

I'd wager that if there had been no Life Day theme at all people would still be complaining because it'd be breaking with other MMOs that at least do something. That TOR's Life Day was pure CM is a curve ball for all of us I'll grant but from what I gather in this thread people are upset that the expected Life Day theme is CM only and no event. Which is disappointing too and I would've liked to have had an event go along with CM stuff. Given all the doomsayers predicting the game's death unless F2P generates massive amounts of cash it isn't a surprise that the devs took the opportunity to have Life Day themed items for sale in the CM.

2)If one bothered to look at the pricing of the full armor sets (which cost about 2 months of stipends for 1 toon unless they lowered the price from the ~1,000 CC they go for when I last looked) it's logical to assume that any limited time items will be priced to cost at least 3 months worth of saving. To expect items to be as cheap or cheaper than the regular full armor sets defies all logic since in no store, game world or real life, will you find a limited time item that doesn't charge the maximum price possible.

Given that before F2P launched people were already telling people that the stipend would be insufficient to buy many CM items for a single toon without saving for months on end there's no reason to be surprised that limited time items cost a fair bit of cash unless one still believed that the stipend would be sufficient to buy all CM items without having to save for many months.

You didn't have to know that we'd be celebrating Life Day to conclude that whenever the first limited time items hit the CM that they'd cost at least 2 months of subscription stipends for 1 toon. The first limited time only CM items hit sooner that many thought I'll grant but that doesn't mean people shouldn't have anticipated that limited time items would come at a high CC price.

In fact given the cost of the pack and the maxium rate of coin gain for a 6 month subsciber it is simply not possible for subscriber to have saved up for more than ONE pack, even if they had know about this from the Live date.

And I believe the full armor non-limited time sets would take 2 months of saving to buy them on one toon. So why is it a surprise that a limited time packs is priced double that amount?

Edited by Gavin_Kelvar

1)no one knew IF they would do a Life Day I grant that. However, from what I gather most MMOs (and other types of online games that have a cash shop from my experience) do some sort of holiday/seasonal celebration. If anyone bothered to look at EA's F2P branch EASY they'd know that EA likes to sell items in their cash shop that are holiday themed and have very little in the way of free goodies, if they give away any freebees.

Assuming for the moment that people didn't bother to look up EASY I don't see why people didn't ever think the devs would take advantage of the season to sell things in the CM. Even if they had an event that gave free stuff (which would apparently follow other MMO's) it's not a stretch of logic to assume that they would sell stuff, at exactly the current prices, that were holiday themed and exclusive to the CM. From a business standpoint to do otherwise would miss a golden opportunity to earn extra money by slapping on the "limited time only" tag on a few items.

Again it was not possbile for anyone to know if they were or were not doing a Life Day Event, what if any items would be sold or part of any event, nor what price they would be sold for.

2)If one bothered to look at the pricing of the full armor sets (which cost about 2 months of stipends for 1 toon unless they lowered the price from the ~1,000 CC they go for when I last looked) it's logical to assume that any limited time items will be priced to cost at least 3 months worth of saving. To expect items to be as cheap or cheaper than the regular full armor sets defies all logic since in no store, game world or real life, will you find a limited time item that doesn't charge the maximum price possible.

Given that before F2P launched people were already telling people that the stipend would be insufficient to buy many CM items for a single toon without saving for months on end there's no reason to be surprised that limited time items cost a fair bit of cash unless one still believed that the stipend would be sufficient to buy all CM items without having to save for many months.

You didn't have to know that we'd be celebrating Life Day to conclude that whenever the first limited time items hit the CM that they'd cost at least 2 months of subscription stipends for 1 toon. The first limited time only CM items hit sooner that many thought I'll grant but that doesn't mean people shouldn't have anticipated that limited time items would come at a high CC price.

Again it is not "logical" that Holiday theme items would sell for "at least 3 month" worth of subscriber coins. It is purely from the School of pulling numbers from thin air.

The sell for a lot more than that 25% more if you have a 6 month sub and even more than that if you have a 3 or 1 month recurring sub.

Furthermore the more expensive sets you mention have stats in them the stat less items (as the LD ones are) sell for much LESS.

And I believe the full armor non-limited time sets would take 2 months of saving to buy them on one toon. So why is it a surprise that a limited time packs is priced double that amount?

If you magically get 1200CC per month then yes they would take 2 month, but for everyone else that plays the game it's a least 4 months.

To be fair when you say price doesn't matter and then say price does matter and then say you don't care if there's and event and then that you do care, it's hard not to get confused. :csw_yoda:

When you make up event like spiders on food in the hopes to use real world value to digital material that is not needed I tend just muddle the topic with useless info cause lets face it. At that point in a debate, were just making **** up for the sake of argument and getting nothing accomplished..

You'd have no choice though, in that context, if you want to experience it you'd have to pay for it.

Now, are we coming up with imagined scenarios again?

I answered your question. I always have the choice to pay or not. If that means I don't see something oh well. There are things I have not seen in the game now.

However, I will give you this. If at some point thats all they do is charge, the I could see a complaint but at that point the choice I have and need to make is obvious don't you think.

But thats not whats happening here and has not happened in the past number of 6 week blocks.

Which is strange becasue the rewards for pretty much every event are themed cosmetic gear and mounts (see again I'm confused by this). :confused:

You are confused cause you think there is an event going on here when there is not one. You're attaching the cosmetic gear to something imagined in your head of what should have happened but has not and is not going to happen this go around.

While gear is themed for every event, you do have to have an actual event for them be attached to. Otherwise, it's just themed gear with no attachment to in game content and I can see why you would sell it.

Edited by Quraswren

So out of interest what price point would you say was too much for Life Day Packs?

Basing cost off of the 5500 coin pack cost:

I would say the current reduced price point for the bundle is pretty spot on for what I would be willing to pay. The individual cost of the items in the bundle is OPed in my opinion, with the exception of the Robes, perhaps, as is the "non-sale price" of the bundle.

Personally, about $10-$12 for Armor sets, $5-7 for speeders, and $1-2 for things like the LD orbs and tree are reasonable IMO.

BJ

When you make up event like spiders on food in the hopes to use real world value to digital material that is not needed I tend just around and muddle the topic with useless info cause lets face it. At that point in a debate, were just making **** up for the sake of argument and getting nothing accomplished..

I honestly don't see the difference between complaining because Bioware EA has failed to deliever and complaining because a steakhouse failed to deliever.

However, I will give you this. If at some point thats all they do is charge, the I could see a complaint but at that point the choice I have and need to make is obvious don't you think.

So you would complain if they had an event and you had to buy it?

You are confused cause you think there is an event going on here when there is not one. You're attaching the cosmetic gear to something imagined in your head of what should have happened but has not and is not going to happen this go around.

While gear is themed for every event, you do have to have an actual event for them be attached to. Otherwise, it's just themed gear with no attachment to in game content and I can see why you would sell it.

This gear is attached to an event Life Day a major Star War Holiday, it's just there is no free in game stuff to go with it (be it gear or anything else).

If it weren't Life Day it wouldn't exist.

Basing cost off of the 5500 coin pack cost:

I would say the current reduced price point for the bundle is pretty spot on for what I would be willing to pay. The individual cost of the items in the bundle is OPed in my opinion, with the exception of the Robes, perhaps, as is the "non-sale price" of the bundle.

Personally, about $10-$12 for Armor sets, $5-7 for speeders, and $1-2 for things like the LD orbs and tree are reasonable IMO.

BJ

So you'd pay up to 5500 CC per character? :eek: Wow fair enough, you must be one of those mythical "whales" they talk about. :)

Anyone who goes on about its only a few dollars and who cares buy it if you want it....obviously you have a few screws or bolts missing to understand anything. Why dish out 20 bucks or more to get an "event" item when you already gave money to be a sub? or atleast they need to give a discount if your paying..

It's sad too see this because i am a new sub and since ive started this game from like subbing/money/cs has been so bad or pretty much everything but the game itself is bad.

There are alot of games who provide few extra benefits to paying or non-paying around holidays or HELL EVEN ANNIVERSARIES OF THE GAME. We got fire works oh wow..but no events for free fun items or sets or anything fun and good for x-mas/1 year of this game being around..what a crock of crap.

This isn't F2P nor a friendly game towards subbers its more like a ransom ...pay us or you dont GEEEET ANYTHING.

If it weren't Christmas it wouldn't exist.

There, I fixed it for you :)

You can talk all you want about the lore behind Life Day and it may actually be interesting. This does not change the fact that it's a Christmas special disguised as something related to Swtor (and one of Star Wars' worst moments in history).

What it all boils down to, is that this is a way for Bioware/EA to cash in on the holiday season. Could they have done an event to accompany those cartel packs? Of course they could have. Would you still be complaining if the event was a reality but the cartel packs still existed on the cartel shop, regardless of what possible rewards you might be able to get from the event itself? Let's be honest - of course you would.

Again it was not possbile for anyone to know if they were or were not doing a Life Day Event, what if any items would be sold or part of any event, nor what price they would be sold for.

Fair enough but then I gather we'd have people complaining that TOR sucks because, unlike every other MMO out there, they've done nothing for the holidays.

Again it is not "logical" that Holiday theme items would sell for "at least 3 month" worth of subscriber coins. It is purely from the School of pulling numbers from thin air.

The sell for a lot more than that 25% more if you have a 6 month sub and even more than that if you have a 3 or 1 month recurring sub.

Furthermore the more expensive sets you mention have stats in them the stat less items (as the LD ones are) sell for much LESS.

Ok then prior to the Life Day stuff what would you expect limited time item packs to sell for per toon assuming that they'd be priced relatively high to reflect their limited time status per the standard that is used for all limited time items in the real world? Or for that matter how much did you think a limited time item would sell when priced relative to non-limited time items?

If you magically get 1200CC per month then yes they would take 2 month, but for everyone else that plays the game it's a least 4 months.

Well you completely missed my point. I never EVER said that the Life Day events could take 2 months of savings to afford. My point was that we already have armor sets that would take about 2 months of stipend saving to buy them for one toon and these armor sets are not limited time items. Thus why is it a surprise that any limited time items (in the abstract, not Life Day specific) would be priced to require at least 3 months of savings or, in the specific case of Life Day items, 4 months of savings to buy them for one toon?

I truly don't understand your logic. Did you think that a pack of limited time items would cost less than 2 months worth of stipends per toon?

Edited by Gavin_Kelvar

I honestly don't see the difference between complaining because Bioware EA has failed to deliever and complaining because a steakhouse failed to deliever.

That cause you think something like prepared food and what cane happen if not prepared correctly and your lack of getting a digital item is equal. They are not.

So you would complain if they had an event and you had to buy it?

How many factors you want added to that question cause your going to have to get very specific and long winded.

Is it every 6 weeks?

Is it small patches?

Is it large?

What does each patch contain?

You get my point?

If you want a general answer and nothing to specific, I would pay for content above and beyond my $15 / month to a certain extent if need be as long as BW makes me feel my $15 a month is still worth what I can play plus the additional cost.

This gear is attached to an event Life Day a major Star War Holiday, it's just there is no free in game stuff to go with it (be it gear or anything else).

If it weren't Life Day it wouldn't exist.

Seeing as how I can not participate in said event. I'd wager a guess there is no event in game. Doesn't matter what you imagine it should be or want it to be. It's not happening in game as in game content.

You can go create it yourself and with your buddies but as a world in game holiday event. Not happening.

So, the gear in question is nothing more than some themed gear added to the store. Thats about all it is and it being sold so you can role play a little is OK with me.

There, I fixed it for you :)

You can talk all you want about the lore behind Life Day and it may actually be interesting. This does not change the fact that it's a Christmas special disguised as something related to Swtor (and one of Star Wars' worst moments in history).

What it all boils down to, is that this is a way for Bioware/EA to cash in on the holiday season. Could they have done an event to accompany those cartel packs? Of course they could have. Would you still be complaining if the event was a reality but the cartel packs still existed on the cartel shop, regardless of what possible rewards you might be able to get from the event itself? Let's be honest - of course you would.

Well Life Day isn't Christmas per se, it was concieved as a mashup of Thanksgiving and Christmas and general "Winterval Fest".

The Holiday Special was actually broadcast on the 17th of November (1978).

However as I said without Life Day, Life Day themed gear could not exist. :)

There are alot of games who provide few extra benefits to paying or non-paying around holidays or HELL EVEN ANNIVERSARIES OF THE GAME. We got fire works oh wow..but no events for free fun items or sets or anything fun and good for x-mas/1 year of this game being around..what a crock of crap.

I agree with you. You know what i got being here for 1 year since game was released as a gift for this holiday? 25 fireworks - consumable. Rest i have to buy from cartel shop myself on top of my subscription. That is biggest dissapointment for this holiday and its 1 YEAR anniversary for this game in next week.

I agree with you. You know what i got being here for 1 year since game was released as a gift for this holiday? 25 fireworks - consumable. Rest i have to buy from cartel shop myself on top of my subscription. That is biggest dissapointment for this holiday and its 1 YEAR anniversary for this game in next week.

We can see if they do anything over next 2 weeks or not..if not.

This game wont have many people willing to log on if they dont get anything free like every other game out there.

Why spend extra money for "event" when you can go to a dozen other games log in and do events for a month getting free fun items that are only given out this time of the year.

just soooo silly and sad.

Huge slap in the face in my opinion, and we should be very vocal to BW about this, otherwise they will just add all the new content in the cartel shop. If that happens, you will be gaining new players but bleeding them as well.

P.S: This looks sooo like what EA would do...

Fair enough but then I gather we'd have people complaining that TOR sucks because, unlike every other MMO out there, they've done nothing for the holidays.

Well effectively they haven't. They are just trying to SELL something holiday related which is an entirely different things.

Ok then prior to the Life Day stuff what would you expect limited time item packs to sell for per toon assuming that they'd be priced relatively high to reflect their limited time status per the standard that is used for all limited time items in the real world? Or for that matter how much did you think a limited time item would sell when priced relative to non-limited time items?

I never thougth they'd introduce limited time scams into the Cashshop, I probably should have known better.

Just to be clear you believe they are selling this as "limited time" so they can charge more for them? Not because they only want to sell them over the time period of Life Day? :confused: I guess you have a lower opinion of Bioware EA than I do. :eek:

Because is it insanely expensive. Compared to normal cartel gear and compared to Holiday event gear in any other MMORPG.

Well you completely missed my point. I never EVER said that the Life Day events could take 2 months of savings to afford. My point was that we already have armor sets that would take about 2 months of stipend saving to buy them for one toon and these armor sets are not limited time items. Thus why is it a surprise that any limited time items (in the abstract, not Life Day specific) would be priced to require at least 3 months of savings or, in the specific case of Life Day items, 4 months of savings to buy them for one toon?

I truly don't understand your logic. Did you think that a pack of limited time items would cost less than 2 months worth of stipends per toon?

Er..... your point was you claimed could buy a pack in 2 month (with saved cartel coins), this is totally impossbile in under 4 months, so I didn't miss your point it was just totally and utterly incorrect.

Which is mainly a matter of personal opinion and reflection. There are plenty of businesses out there that very much treat you like a number and they still do all right. It's up to the individual to decide to patronize them or not. Just like the commercialization of holidays - if it wasn't popular or profitable it wouldn't be done. Since it is, then they are. We don't have to like it, but then again, that's Life and Life isn't fair. Anyone who said (or says) otherwise is an idiot.

BJ

*sigh* No just no... I will not put the effort into even thinking about something intelligent because the denial is strong in you...

Edited by Arathenes