Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Windows 8 and SWTOR

Radzkie

Oh, well, if you work a Dell, who are we to argue? I mean, Dell. Truly the pinnacle of computer tech there.

I've been building computers for myself and others for 20 years, not that it matters. Go read the article, most games ran 1-2 frames faster on Windows 8.

Let's go through the list:

Arkham City - Ran faster on Windows 8

BF3 - Ran faster on Windows 8

Borderlands 2 - Ran faster on Windows 7

Crysis 2 - Ran faster on Windows 7 with Nvidia, faster on Windows 8 with AMD

DiRT Showdown - Ran faster on Windows 7 with Nvidia, faster on Windows 8 with AMD

Max Payne 3 - Ran faster on Windows 8

Metro 2033 - Ran faster on Windows 8

Sleeping Dogs - Had issues on Windows 8

Skyrim - Ran faster on Windows 8

WoW - Ran faster on Windows 8

So of the 10 games MOST of them ran better on Windows 8. Exactly the opposite of what you're saying.

Most importantly the question was in regards to SWTOR and that runs great on Windows 8.

Dell makes some good machines, and have Alienware under their belt these days, or maybe you hadnt heard of them and gaming in your 20 years? Not going to dispute your little list there, but you need a big asterisk on it, with the proviso " * on our test system", which means it's not going to be the same for everyone. Win8 does run very slightly better for most people, especially on lower end systems, but as noted in many places there is the issue of periodic frame dropping.

I (probably) wouldnt go out and buy win7 if I bought a new computer with win8 on it, but given the option, in my and many others opinion, win7 is a better desktop OS in nearly every respect if you arent a total computer retard and arent put off by things like a decent desktop UI designed to do more than one thing at a time.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dell makes some good machines, and have Alienware under their belt these days, or maybe you hadnt heard of them and gaming in your 20 years? Not going to dispute your little list there, but you need a big asterisk on it, with the proviso " * on our test system", which means it's not going to be the same for everyone. Win8 does run very slightly better for most people, especially on lower end systems, but as noted in many places there is the issue of periodic frame dropping.

I (probably) wouldnt go out and buy win7 if I bought a new computer with win8 on it, but given the option, in my and many others opinion, win7 is a better desktop OS in nearly every respect if you arent a total computer retard and arent put off by things like a decent desktop UI designed to do more than one thing at a time.

And in my and many other opinions Windows 8 is a faster and better OS. What's your point? The question is whether SWTOR runs better or as well on Windows 8 and it does. I get a solid 60fps at all times (capped because of v-sync).

As for Alienware, any PC gamer worth his salt builds his own PC instead of buying overpriced pre-made computers. I bet you buy Monster cables too because the guy at Best Buy told you how much better they are.

As for Alienware, any PC gamer worth his salt builds his own PC instead of buying overpriced pre-made computers. I bet you buy Monster cables too because the guy at Best Buy told you how much better they are.

I'm "young" and just establishing myself. I cannot afford to build a tower from scratch, and just because of that I do not consider myself a bad gamer. I can, however, buy a pre-made one and slowly upgrade like I did with my other computer.

It's sad to see my thread has already degraded into people making generalizations and insulting others.

Edited by Radzkie

I'm "young" and just establishing myself. I cannot afford to build a tower from scratch, and just because of that I do not consider myself a bad gamer. I can, however, buy a pre-made one and slowly upgrade like I did with my other computer.

It's sad to see my thread has already degraded into people making generalizations and insulting others.

It's actually cheaper to build a PC yourself than it is to buy a pre-built system and try to upgrade it into a gaming computer. You can generally build a decent gaming computer than will run most games well with decent graphics settings for about $800 or so. Sometimes cheaper, if you really shop around for deals. One word of caution, though: do extensive research before investing into parts.

Edited by Andrew_Past

It's actually cheaper to build a PC yourself than it is to buy a pre-built system and try to upgrade it into a gaming computer. You can generally build a decent gaming computer than will run most games well with decent graphics settings for about $800 or so.

Yes, listen to this guy. If you know how to upgrade your computer it's not that much of a step to build one. I managed to help my completely non-tech savvy girlfriend build herself a computer over the phone, granted it took 5-6 hours but I had to describe everything and i couldn't see what she was doing :p. It's not that hard and you'll save money or get a better machine for the same amount of money. Even better to start learning to do this when you're young.

If you let me know what machine you were looking at I can recommend some parts to build to your own.

@ Andrew_Past & DaRoamer

Okay, thanks for the advice.

I don't know exactly what I want yet. I'm not retarded with computers, but I am NOT an expert. I'm still learning.

Send me a PM when you find something you want and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction :)

Sorry, smart guy, you bet wrong, I wouldnt buy anything from the place you work. And there's a difference between PC gamers and PC enthusiasts who can build their own systems, but you're one of those "experts" who refuses to even consider alternatives for people who dont have the time or care to learn how to build their own box. /shrug, dont care. Just slam everything you dont think is cool if it makes you feel like a big man. If you actually do go around recommending Win8 for a gaming rig then I surely wouldnt want you to build a system for me or anyone I cared about.

I run it on 7 on one rig and on 8 on the other. Works fine on both, better on the one with 7 but that's cos its the superior rig.

So as much as you're gonna hate hearing this, tis something on your end. That's the joy of PC gaming for ya.

Edited by aeterno

It's running fine for me. I upgraded to a new laptop with and just figured it was the better graphics card and more dedicated video RAM. Anyway, it's like a whole new game to me. Planets load a lot faster. Tatooine in particular seemed like it took 5 minutes to load. I'm not exaggerating. Now, under a minute for any load screen.

I have had absolutely Zero problems with Windows 8. Been running SWTOR on it all during Win 8 beta and now on the release.

The OS is faster than 7 and definately should not be compared to Vista. People just have issues with it because they can't figure out the Start Screen. Pro Tip just type in what you are looking for and itll pop up in the search results.

I have had absolutely Zero problems with Windows 8. Been running SWTOR on it all during Win 8 beta and now on the release.

The OS is faster than 7 and definately should not be compared to Vista. People just have issues with it because they can't figure out the Start Screen. Pro Tip just type in what you are looking for and itll pop up in the search results.

I had to Google how to shut down the first time I used Windows 8. I apparently failed to realize power is a setting..

Windows 8 might be fine, but Windows 7 is undoubtedly the safer bet. The game was developed and tested on it (or at least tested on it). I don't think Windows 8 is drastically different so it's likely okay too, but you never know. I also might worry that if a W8 issue does crop up with SWTOR, how much attention it will get from the devs, whose customers overwhelmingly run W7 or XP still.

I have SWTOR, WoW, Skyrim and BF3 aall running just fine on Windows 8. Windows 8 boots faster and has some internal optimizations. If anything SWTOR runs a bit better on Windows 8 as do the other games. The current upgrade price, $40, is hard to pass up and is only for a limited time.

While there isn't any compelling reason to upgrade to Windows 8 but really no real reason not to. Now I don't like the "Modern" interface (Used to be Metro) all that much. But there are plenty of alternatives to get the start bar and start up in desktop mode. I personally use "Classic Shell" a free opensource program for that. (http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/).

I use Windows 8 and its pretty great with games actually. Though I have recently experienced a lot of problems with swtor crashing to desktop during a few select HM FP conversations. However it does work great in swtor for everything else. Faster loads and better performance. People should probably try windows 8 before they bash it.

Hogwash. WIndows 8 is fine, see my post above.

You have not been reading tech news lately have you. Sales of windows 8 are way down people are downgrading to windows 7 on windows 8 hardware. OEM still offering windows 7 PC if windows 8 is so good. Why can you still buy from HP and dell many models with windows 7 on them? This is because the average person does not like windows 8 and never will. It was the same with windows vista and ME people did not like it at all.

P.S if you run windows 8 and have no issue then that great not every ones experience will be the same. What one person likes other will hate. Me personally I would rather use Linux or mac OS over windows. IF it not broke don't fix it.

Edited by Neoforcer

I don't know where all this bad info comes from. I've been running this game on Windows 8 for a month now and it runs better than on Windows 7. And I built my pc about 4 years ago.

Let me repeat that; It runs better on Windows 8.

I also read the negative posts, it got me to call BW and ask if I could and how I should install on Windows 8 after my upgrade. They suggested a copy of my game files and then running the repair function, that worked great! So if you're upgrading, be sure to try that road, it'll save you redownloading the entire game.

My build:

Asrock A780FullDisplayPort

AMD Phenom X3 8750 Black Edition

8GB DDR2 OCZ Fatal1ty

AMD Radion HD 6670 1GB DDR5

Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Windows 8 Pro 64bit with Media Center

I use a Wifi dongle for internet (settings multimedia streaming and gaming), all graphics settings to max, and I got constant high FPS and hardly any lags (since F2P when server is FULL there's a bit of lag on the fleet sometimes, but that's the server end imo).

I run s Dual core processor and Radeon 5770 HD and 6 GB of ram, a bit sub par from other machines and i run swtor on high at 60fps on every planet and every time.

Please post a video of you doing a warzone, at high details, with framerate counter on (CTRL + SHIFT + F). Otherwise I call your statement a lie.

You have not been reading tech news lately have you. Sales of windows 8 are way down people are downgrading to windows 7 on windows 8 hardware. OEM still offering windows 7 PC if windows 8 is so good. Why can you still buy from HP and dell many models with windows 7 on them? This is because the average person does not like windows 8 and never will. It was the same with windows vista and ME people did not like it at all.

P.S if you run windows 8 and have no issue then that great not every ones experience will be the same. What one person likes other will hate. Me personally I would rather use Linux or mac OS over windows. IF it not broke don't fix it.

Tech news is commenting on the fact that many people are put off by the new interface, that is affecting sales. It has nothing to do with the actual technology. All of the technology reviews I've read, and my personal experience, are that the "technology" of Windows 8 is a significant upgrade from 7. If you don't like the "Modern" interface there are options as I mentioned to change it.

P.S. I'm a software engineer by profession. I have Linux/Solaris/OS X/Windows 2008 Server/Windows 7 all either running on stand alone machines or in VMs. I use Windows primarily to play games and to write/test Windows software when I must. I do most of my development on OS X or Linux ;)

Edited by Erasimus

I've been running Windows 8 with SWTOR for close to a year (starting with the beta) without any problems.

From my reading of the forums I do not see people having more problems with W8 than W7, but it could be a case. A new OS is bound to cause some new bugs to emerge.

I have SWTOR, WoW, Skyrim and BF3 aall running just fine on Windows 8. Windows 8 boots faster and has some internal optimizations. If anything SWTOR runs a bit better on Windows 8 as do the other games. The current upgrade price, $40, is hard to pass up and is only for a limited time.

While there isn't any compelling reason to upgrade to Windows 8 but really no real reason not to. Now I don't like the "Modern" interface (Used to be Metro) all that much. But there are plenty of alternatives to get the start bar and start up in desktop mode. I personally use "Classic Shell" a free opensource program for that. (http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/).

WIndows 8 has been a failure thus far, in terms of sales for Microsoft .. They've done it again by releasing an OS thats on par with Windows Vista .. They have alienated the customer base with removal of the start bar, horrible Metro interface, etc'; Yes, you can get the start bar back with a third party app, but do you really expect a general users to do so? You sir, know nothing about nothing ..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.