Would you support a relaunch of SWTOR?

Lium

Anything you think bioware is, or was is out the window. Their entire dev team has quit, the entire team. Their 2 FOUNDERS have quit. Bioware doesn't exist anymore. Its EA run and its EAware now.

True, the founders have retired. The team has been shifted more than once though, and I'm not without hope.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A relaunch? Didn't that just happend with F2P? Besides this game certainl does not need that, it's fine for now and will get much better in 2013.

Wow... If you think this game is fine, I'd hate to see what you call bad. If your 12 , I understand though.

No a Relaunch would be stupid games improve over time and I'm glad they

Released it when they did I've had a lot of fun Over the last 11 months with this game

You can piss and moan over Bugs and lacking features you think should be in the game but I play the game as it is today and enjoy it

Saw a toy commercial today. Legos. The Fury and Striker class ships. No mention of "the Old Republic." Just Star Wars. Sign of things to come.

I would say we need to see Disney take the game away, shut it down, restart in a year or two. Bioware was not up to the task as a brand name/studio, EA is company of idiots that don't know how to do what they are in the industry to do.

At least Disney could just take the game and invest in unscrewing it up.

It wouldn't save it.

I agree. But it might muddle through. What seems clear is that there is zero intent to spend on the game. EA seems to have had enough of it, this is just another cog in their wheels.

If you want to lobby somebody, start hammer Disney, this is their toy, and EA is just a contractor now. The good part of that is that Disney is a mammoth company, one of the few mega mega media corporations that can buy and sell an EA, to say nothing of dictate terms.

Really it is a matter of how hardcore do people want to get about saving this game. Push hard enough, and enough stink can be raised. Enough to make a point at least.

I agree. But it might muddle through. What seems clear is that there is zero intent to spend on the game. EA seems to have had enough of it, this is just another cog in their wheels.

If you want to lobby somebody, start hammer Disney, this is their toy, and EA is just a contractor now. The good part of that is that Disney is a mammoth company, one of the few mega mega media corporations that can buy and sell an EA, to say nothing of dictate terms.

Really it is a matter of how hardcore do people want to get about saving this game. Push hard enough, and enough stink can be raised. Enough to make a point at least.

I want to point out that FFXIV: Realm Reborn is fantastic. The game was free to play, no restrictions until it was ready to be relaunched and then the game was shut down in an in-game huge event regarding the end of the world with fully realized cutscenes, quests, and story and will launch with the new changes next year. I sincerely doubt EAware would handle a relaunch well. It'd just be another huge fumble like F2P was.

And regardless of Disney, SWTOR is still EA's game and their project. I don't think they have the right to just flat out take it away from them and have someone else handle it; although it would probably be for the best.

Edited by LegendaryBlade

Saw a toy commercial today. Legos. The Fury and Striker class ships. No mention of "the Old Republic." Just Star Wars. Sign of things to come.

I would say we need to see Disney take the game away, shut it down, restart in a year or two. Bioware was not up to the task as a brand name/studio, EA is company of idiots that don't know how to do what they are in the industry to do.

At least Disney could just take the game and invest in unscrewing it up.

Sign of things to come ? Lol why would a Star Wars Lego add mention swtor anyway?

Disney has nothing to do with swtor thankfully

Not that I think this well ever happen, but I'm just curious. I never played Final Fantasy XIV, but I heard it was so bad, that Square Enix shut it down so that they could work on it and relaunch it all over again at a future date.

Given the problems with SWTOR such as the Hero Engine needing a complete overhaul, numerous bugs that have been in since beta, bad faction imbalance, and some questionable design decisions, not to mention losing half the staff due to layoffs, do you think this game would be served better by having a new relaunch with all the features that should have been in at the original launch, plus additional fixes?

Ok, if it existed yes, but it doesnt seem necessary. The hero engine problems are still getting worked on and should eventually get solved. Unfotunely this year has been sort of a live beta for the game. I expect the game to get into gear next year (it already started).

What crossed my mind is that they could use a different engine in the first expansion, but that would require a reboot of the galaxy. I doubt it would be easy to port the whole game toa different engine. Doubt EA would aprove of that given their money grabbing ways.

Still, aslong as they can optimise the hero engine, it should be fine really. Its not like the game looks like WoW.

I want to point out that FFXIV: Realm Reborn is fantastic. The game was free to play, no restrictions until it was ready to be relaunched and then the game was shut down in an in-game huge event regarding the end of the world with fully realized cutscenes, quests, and story and will launch with the new changes next year. I sincerely doubt EAware would handle a relaunch well. It'd just be another huge fumble like F2P was.

And regardless of Disney, SWTOR is still EA's game and their project. I don't think they have the right to just flat out take it away from them and have someone else handle it; although it would probably be for the best.

EA would screw it up. But no, come what may, Disney will own the keys to the realm. The game might muddle along, however in the end, if Disney decides it shouldn't, it won't. This is a Star Wars game, they own that now, across the board.

EA would screw it up. But no, come what may, Disney will own the keys to the realm. The game might muddle along, however in the end, if Disney decides it shouldn't, it won't. This is a Star Wars game, they own that now, across the board.

I wasn't there when it happened, but i'm quite sure they probably signed a contract. When a company borrows your license to make a game, you can't just take away the keys at will most of the time. Disney would have limited control, they could probably boss EA around a bit. Ultimately though, I don't think they can outright pull the plug. At least not yet.

EDIT: Although it would be hilarious if they did.

Edited by LegendaryBlade

Sign of things to come ? Lol why would a Star Wars Lego add mention swtor anyway?

Disney has nothing to do with swtor thankfully

The answer is actually very obvious. They were talking SWTOR toys, action figures, and more. They were talking a few months ago about SWTOR merchandise. Didn't happen. What is more, obvious SWTOR original characters and ships are being generically dumped into the Star Wars bucket without any attempt to bother mention of ToR.

It means, clearly, no cross-marketing, isolation of the leaper game. No sign of anything for the Holiday season. Nobody is buying into this game's hoped for appeal. Plans that were, are being pulled back.

I think the story, characters, and the rest are just going to be sucked into the EU and Disney moves on.

I wasn't there when it happened, but i'm quite sure they probably signed a contract. When a company borrows your license to make a game, you can't just take away the keys at will most of the time. Disney would have limited control, they could probably boss EA around a bit. Ultimately though, I don't think they can outright pull the plug. At least not yet.

EDIT: Although it would be hilarious if they did.

I very seriously doubt Lucas ever let anybody have anything without keeping ultimate control. That was the case with SWG, I don't see any reason it would be here. You don't let a company go out and run your major IP up the flagpole without the means of recalling your control if they do something unlikely but horribly damaging to it. EA isn't borrowing a license, LucasArts owned the rights, those belong to them. Remember EA is paying to develop and run this game. the risk was their own in developing it, and there is a bill or share of everything they make due to Lucasarts/Lucasfilm.

No, I think that Disney can have as much or little say. Not because they can send people to Austin to make changes, but because approval for changes, as we see with other Star Wars properties, needs to be run through Lucasfilm/Lucasarts. And in the end, EA amounts to a contractor, not an owner.

I guess this game is the last chance for a Star Wars MMO. If this one fails then I guess there won't be any developer or company left willing to cough up the initial investment for a new MMO with a Star Wars license. Remember that what we are seeing now is more or less content which already was 'in production' when this game went online last year . It remains to be seen if this game can generate enough money for a continued development process. As for a relaunch/restart: My 'support' doesn't matter much because for stated reasons they have to fix problems on the job.

I guess this game is the last chance for a Star Wars MMO. If this one fails then I guess there won't be any developer or company left willing to cough up the initial investment for a new MMO with a Star Wars license. Remember that what we are seeing now is more or less content which already was 'in production' when this game went online last year . It remains to be seen if this game can generate enough money for a continued development process. As for a relaunch/restart: My 'support' doesn't matter much because for stated reasons they have to fix problems on the job.

It's probably a good thing though; a third MMO in the same universe would be kind of silly. Really though,t he failure of Star Wars as an MMO has come down to huge company mistakes every time. With Galaxies it was a very infamous expansion that changed the game in such a drastically negative way that there are now "classic servers" up with higher population than the real server had before it went down. For SWTOR it was just the terrible way it was handled and the horrible excuse for F2P that was meant to be it's bandaid.

Wouldn't go as far as a total relaunch but big stuff has to change under the hood. Preferably bundled up with an expansion.

The client needs to go 64bit sooner or later and hopefully through major major MAJOR optimizations. Your mmo will never go big if your engine starts running out of breath when you get 40 people on screen.