Bought an ultimage gaming rig, and game is still laggy!

ZeusThunder

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just so you know i'm not lying, here are my specs. This was bought from bestbuy and even setup by a geeksquad computer expert:

- 24" viewsonic flatscreen monitor

- dell gaming mouse

- windows seven ultimate

- intel quadra processor

- memory with 12 gigabytes of ram power

- one terabyte hard drive

- bluray player

- foxconn power supply with 400 wattage

- sound blaster sound card

- ge force gt 520 video card

so after getting a $1500 gaming computer ($2100 after signing up for the extended warranty and 2 years of geeksquad protection) the star wars game is still laggy! Not only that, but it can take up to 40 minutes just to log in if i do it after getting home from work.

I've verified with the bestbuy salesperson that this computer should speed up my game, and if it's not then it's star wars' fault.

Nice job zeusthunder, you fail at buying a computer.... Lol.

wahahahahahaha

Edited by Jamica

Good for the price. You'd notice a nice performance boost with another 4GB of RAM.

You'd notice a HUGE performance boost by upgrading your CPU. Your GPU is probably pushing your CPU to the max, if the CPU can even keep up with it.

what would you recommend for a cpu?

EDIT: new build

4gb gskill ram 2 sticks 1333MHz

amd fx-4100

raidmax hybrid 630W psu

Sapphire 6770

ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+

Rosewill Challenger mid-tower case w/ three fans included

HDD and dvd drive not included, i can salvage them from an old computer until HDDs come down in price

will end up at 503$ (520$ with dvd drive) after rebates

Edited by Sithnut

Just so you know I'm not lying, here are my specs. This was bought from Bestbuy and even setup by a Geeksquad computer expert:

- 24" Viewsonic flatscreen monitor

- Dell gaming mouse

- Windows Seven Ultimate

- Intel quadra processor

- Memory with 12 gigabytes of ram power

- One TERABYTE Hard Drive

- BluRay player

- Foxconn power supply with 400 wattage

- Sound Blaster sound card

- GE Force GT 520 video card

So after getting a $1500 gaming computer ($2100 after signing up for the extended warranty and 2 years of Geeksquad protection) the Star Wars game is STILL laggy! Not only that, but it can take up to 40 minutes just to log in if I do it after getting home from work.

I've verified with the Bestbuy salesperson that this computer should speed up my game, and if it's not then it's Star Wars' fault.

Nice job Star Wars, you fail at making an MMO.

Pretty sure you fail at PC gaming. Best Buy sold you a dated computer for 1500 dollars. The minimum requirements for this game have been out for quite some time. Don't you think it would have made sense to do a little research? Especially if you had planned on devoting any time to this game at all.... You look like a horses *** when you blame other people for your stupidity. Just saying...

what would you recommend for a cpu?

Depends on your budget.

If you have a virtually unlimited budget, I'd recommend a high end i7, like the 3930K (600 bucks) or the 2700K (360 bucks or so, and buy one for me too, please!).

Alternatively, if you don't have a lot of money to spend now, but would like to upgrade in the future, I'd look into a SandyBridge i3 (i3's range from 110 to 150 and would use the same socket as the i7 2700K so you could upgrade in the future) or i5 (i5's run the gambit from 190 to 220 on NewEgg now, and use the LGA1155 slot which allows an upgrade tot he 2700K i7 in the future).

Finally, if your strapped for cash and don't see yourself upgrading again the future, an 1100T is the best AMD you can purchase. It's not at all in the same ball park as Intel's SandyBridge and it will severly limit your ability to upgrade (including graphics cards) in the future, but you can get them far cheaper than a SandyBridge i5.

Edited by ialsoagree

Just so you know I'm not lying, here are my specs. This was bought from Bestbuy and even setup by a Geeksquad computer expert:

- Dell gaming mouse

- Windows Seven Ultimate

- Intel quadra processor

- BluRay player

So after getting a $1500 gaming computer ($2100 after signing up for the extended warranty and 2 years of Geeksquad protection) the Star Wars game is STILL laggy! Not only that, but it can take up to 40 minutes just to log in if I do it after getting home from work.

I've verified with the Bestbuy salesperson that this computer should speed up my game, and if it's not then it's Star Wars' fault.

I lol'd.

- Dell gaming mouse

- Windows Seven Ultimate

- Intel quadra processor

- BluRay player

You got ****in ripped off dude. Im honestly not surprised one bit that you are having lag issues with this comp

Depends on your budget.

If you have a virtually unlimited budget, I'd recommend a high end i7, like the 3930K (600 bucks) or the 2700K (360 bucks or so, and buy one for me too, please!).

Alternatively, if you don't have a lot of money to spend now, but would like to upgrade in the future, I'd look into a SandyBridge i3 (i3's range from 110 to 150 and would use the same socket as the i7 2700K so you could upgrade in the future) or i5 (i5's run the gambit from 190 to 220 on NewEgg now, and use the LGA1155 slot which allows an upgrade tot he 2700K i7 in the future).

Finally, if your strapped for cash and don't see yourself upgrading again the future, an 1100T is the best AMD you can purchase. It's not at all in the same ball park as Intel's SandyBridge and it will severly limit your ability to upgrade (including graphics cards) in the future, but you can get them far cheaper than a SandyBridge i5.

Im trying to keep it under or around 500, what about the new build i edited the previous post with?

EDIT: ive heard the extreme3 series is actually pretty good...?

Edited by Sithnut

- Dell gaming mouse

- Windows Seven Ultimate

- Intel quadra processor

- BluRay player

3 words:

Best Buy

Junk

You got scammed by a professionally trained SALESMAN. If anyone knows what they're doing around computers they don't work at Best Buy. Geek Squad and Expert is an oxymoron. Bite the bullet. Give that computer to your Grandmother or Aunt as an e-mail / Farmville rig and go buy a real computer.

Keep the RAM the rest is not that good

actually, we do not know if the ram is good either. I sorry OP but I have to agree, that computer sucks.

here an example what what you should have gotten for around $2000 from a good computer builder, in this case, cyberpowerpc.

Configuration

*BASE_PRICE: [+725]

CAS: NZXT Black Tempest 210 Mid-Tower Gaming Case

CD: LG UH12LS28K 12X Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo Drive [+41] (BLACK COLOR)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified) [+100]

CS_FAN: Default case fans

FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)

HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard

MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [+130] (Kingston HyperX)

MONITOR: 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 Asus VS247H-P LCD [+157]

MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3) Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/Lucid Virtu + Intel Smart Response Technology,OC Genie II,Winki 3& 7.1 Audio,Dual GbLAN,USB3.0,SATA-III RAID,3 Gen2 PCIe,2 PCIe X1&2 PCI (All Venom OC Certified) [+160]

MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse

NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Ultimate [+209] (64-bit Edition)

OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking

POWERSUPPLY: * 750 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU - PN: TRX-750M [+75]

RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS

SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOUND: Creative Labs SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 24-BIT PCI Sound Card [+48]

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+246] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

_PRICE: (+1891)

Im trying to keep it under or around 500, what about the new build i edited the previous post with?

EDIT: ive heard the extreme3 series is actually pretty good...?

It's an alright PC, it's not terrible for the price, especially since you need to buy a case.

You could probably pick a Raddeon 4890, or 5830 for the same price, and both do better in benchmarks.

Alternatively, you could up your GPU price by 15 bucks and go for a 6790. I can't comment too much on Radeons myself. I owned a 5770 and it gave me a bit of trouble. I've since upgraded to a Nvidia 570GTX (the 3rd nvidia card I've owned) and love it. Having had trouble with 2 Radeon cards and none of my 3 nvidia cards, I have a hard time recommending them to anyone.

Long term, your upgrade is a bit of a dead end. AMD won't carry the AM3+ slot once they get off their duffs and release smaller architecture (32nm, or 25nm if they decide to skip ahead), the best upgrade you can get, the 1100T, is already becoming out of date, and from what I understand AMD is basically abandoning the home CPU market to Intel anyway and refocusing on server CPU architecture.

It will be a bit more expensive, but if you plan to upgrade with in a year or so, going for a SandyBridge Intel will behoove you. You'll literally be looking for just a new CPU (a 200-300 dollar upgrade) rather than a CPU and motherboard (a 350-500 dollar upgrade).

In short, you were ripped off and over charged for a POS tower, and why in the world did you trust best buy in telling you what to buy? they get paid to make sales, if the smell a sucker they'll ride you. (this is not true of all best buys)

PS: don't pay for geek squad protection, they can barely fix even the simplest computer and will overcharge every step of the way.

" Memory with 12 gigabytes of ram power

Decent... could use more"

Could use more? 12 gigs is extreme overkill. I have 8 gigs and hardly touch it.

" Memory with 12 gigabytes of ram power

Decent... could use more"

Could use more? 12 gigs is extreme overkill. I have 8 gigs and hardly touch it.

This, unless you're doing multimedia editing/production. A video game today is unlikely to use more than 3GB of RAM. Throw in your OS, browser, IM, VoIP, and anti-virus and you're barely hitting 5-6GB. The rest is just gravy.

- Dell gaming mouse

- Windows Seven Ultimate

- Intel quadra processor

- BluRay player

He said Geeksquad and Computer Expert in the same sentence! Thats funny.

Geeksquad is a JOKE. They offer next to no training to thier techs. So, having them look at your system does nothing. You bought the 2 year Geeksquad protection, so, you're stuck with that too.

And FYI, my system has NO LAG. Quad Core AMD with 8GB Ram, ATI Radeon Video Card and Win 7 Home. So, it IS your system that is the problem, not the game.

In fact, I know of no one who has had lag issues

Perhaps it is your internet provider?