Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Things SWTOR forgot to copy from WoW

Obiwanwillpwnme

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

who said this game JUST LAUNCHED has no clue about mmos.

this is a 2012 game.

as an example: the year 1800 Mercedes didn't had any electric widows... still current cars offer A STANDARD package. op mentioned some. (except fishing :) )

you do realize that more than 60% of actual players played wow... so that's why we want more than wow... not a "small package" of what wow offered.

i like tha game, just i WANT THIS GAME + WHAT OP SAID! + MORE...

you have to adapt else... look at AOC, AION, etc.

1) Dungeon finder.

Finding a group and getting them all to the flashpoint takes too long, it's not fun so hardly anyone is playing flashpoints.

Bad idea, great idea not to implement it IMO

2) UI customisation.

Especially UI scaling. I play on a high-res monitor and the current UI is awful.

Agreed

3) Group loot rules.

Don't let classes that can't use gear roll on it. It only causes grief, whether it was intentional or deliberate. WoW's 2-hour grace period for trading bound items with those eligible for them would have been nice, too.

Many MMO's get along quite well without it, WoW panders to much to the whiners.

4) Selecting PvP warzones.

Lots of people hate huttball. I know it helps reduce PvP queues, but melee classes hate it. I'd be much more likely to queue for PvP if I could knock it off the list.

Agreed

5) Skills that level as you level.

Returning to a trainer every time you level up is not fun. It's a timesink.

Only if you feel you have to go back the the trainer every time you level (which there is no real need to do). Do it when you go by a trainer in the course of your questing, problem solved.

6) Addons.

Especially DPS meters, or at least a combat log. I have no idea which of my skills/rotations are most effective which makes learning my class really hard. It's also very hard to analyse fights to work out what to avoid, which mob to kill first, what to interupt etc...

Best idea they made not to include them, although unfortunately they appear to be seriously considering it post launch

7) Guild storage.

Sharing materials and items with guildies is a big part of a successful guild. Currently this is reduced to asking/offering in guild chat, which is pretty tedious.

Agreed

8) Achievements.

They were fun, quirky and added longevity to the game. A great way to spice up repetitive encounters and great personal goals for PvP.

Fun, quirky ... two words I would never associate with achievements. Boring, grindfest, repetitive, virtually pointless, dull, ill stop there.

9) Fishing.

Great way to pass the ti.. nevermind, maybe SWTOR is doing some things right.

My thoughts above.

The majority of people who are actively looking to do a flashpoint will be on the fleet..so it seems fine to me. Perhaps this system needs some time to grow along with the rest of the game.

In the meantime you should really see about joining an active guild.

I wouldn't mind seeing improvements on the lfg system, along with many other things, all of which have been discussed to death already. The point is, the game is perfectly playable as it is now, and will only get better, so those constantly QQing about the same issues over and over because they want more easy-mode systems in place need to realize launch client is just the beginning, and we have a long way to go. Leave the horse alone, its dead already. Decide whether improvements and changes are something you can wait for or not. If not, try coming back in 6 months.

So in order to run Flash Points, you have to....sit in the city spamming chat? Isn't this what the supposed LFD was condemned for, sitting in cities? At least with LFD, you could go out into the world and do something.

1) Dungeon finder.

Finding a group and getting them all to the flashpoint takes too long, it's not fun so hardly anyone is playing flashpoints.

2) UI customisation.

Especially UI scaling. I play on a high-res monitor and the current UI is awful.

3) Group loot rules.

Don't let classes that can't use gear roll on it. It only causes grief, whether it was intentional or deliberate. WoW's 2-hour grace period for trading bound items with those eligible for them would have been nice, too.

Lots of people hate huttball. I know it helps reduce PvP queues, but melee classes hate it. I'd be much more likely to queue for PvP if I could knock it off the list.

6) Addons.

Especially DPS meters, or at least a combat log. I have no idea which of my skills/rotations are most effective which makes learning my class really hard. It's also very hard to analyse fights to work out what to avoid, which mob to kill first, what to interupt etc...

7) Guild storage.

Sharing materials and items with guildies is a big part of a successful guild. Currently this is reduced to asking/offering in guild chat, which is pretty tedious.

8) Achievements.

They were fun, quirky and added longevity to the game. A great way to spice up repetitive encounters and great personal goals for PvP.

9) Fishing.

1) If they don't do any cross realm stuff I can see, tired of jerks from other servers you won't likely see again using it as a license to be a douche.

2) Would be nice, I would like it a bit bigger.

3) Agree

5) I suppose would be useful

6) I can live without them

7) Guild bank is nice but at the same time has been known to cause grief because of greedy people stealing.

8) No...don't need them at all...not one bit...don't need something elitist especially at launch.

The thread points out the funny little fact that before the dungeon finder came out, EVERYBODY was begging for a dungeon finder.

Grass is always greener....

I second this. Dungeon finder was implemented because no-one could find groups for instances.

WoW wasn't ruined because of it either, the only thing about it that was bad were cross-server dungeon finders. WoW was ruined over time as it became stale and ruined the story that Warcraft 3 laid out.

Edited by Vasilii

1) Dungeon finder.

Nnnnh. Please NO dungeon finder. It's laziness at its best and completely destroys server community. I had SO much more fun with WoW instances before dungeon finder because I was grouping with people I would see again, people I cared about, and people who knew if they did....inconsiderate things they'd pay for it through a bad reputation.

Honestly, while there are a few things that are convenient to have, I'd rather TOR just go its own path than copy every little thing from WoW.

Everything you said there, except for fishing.

DID NOT LAUNCH WITH WOW.

I played it for 5 years btw.

im getting tired of this type of argument..

if trion can release a pretty good MMO (rift) with a decent dungeon finder / LFG tool, then certainly bioware can.

heck even DCUO at launch had a better LFG tool than swtor does..

so please stop with these arguments.

kthx :cool:

1) Dungeon finder.

This would be great, as long as it wasn't cross-server. The big problem with cross-server play is that there's no incentive to not be a ******* since the probability is high that you'll never see the people you're with again. People who don't want it focus too much on that aspect of it and forget that everything else about it (making it easy to find groups, making it so you can do whatever you want while waiting for your group to form since you get ported to the dungeon instead of having to ******* all the way there) was an unambiguous positive.

2) UI customisation.

I don't think allowing mods is ncessary, but yeah, there's a lot of functionality of the WoW UI (as well as popular WoW mods) that they could add in.

3) Group loot rules.

Agreed.

I think the better solution would be to introduce more neutral warzones period so you're not just playing the same damn thing all the time on an imbalance server. Making it so that if you've recently been in a neutral WZ you're more likely to get into a EvR warzone next time would also be nice.

I'd imagine part of the idea here is that they like the idea of you getting new things every level, but yeah, it's one of those things that they could easily kill off.

6) Addons.

The thing with addons is that they create a sort of arms race between players/mod developers and the game developers. If a mod comes around that significantly impacts performance, they either have to break it, integrate its functionality, or assume players have it, which effectively makes it required. The net benefit on your gameplay experience wouldn't be as much as you think.

9) Fishing.

Space battles are TOR's equivalent of fishing/archaeology- a timesink with little to no benefit to the "real game." Except space battles are actually, you know, fun.

Edited by Suzushiiro

wait wait wait, so any future MMO has to do everything WOW does or a certain number of vocal clowns will come onto whatever those forums are and complain? Lets all get to end game and see if these problems persist and if these features are even needed. All of these people posting are probably not past 20 yet and can't even tie their own shoes. :w_wink:

Am I the only person in this game who never created (and never will create) a WoW account?

Seriously...

There are things in other games that I like that are not in SWTOR and things in SWTOR that I miss in other games.

I've never played WoW and would REALLY love it if everyone who did would stop refering to their WoW experience as being better than their PRE_Launch experience here.

I for one, don't really want to play WoW with a Star Wars skin.

Cheers!

No_WoW_Canuck :)

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

9) Fishing.

A lot of these things were added later, some of them much later. And fishing??? LOLOL Aside from Archeology, THE MOST BORING THING IN THE GAME!!!

9) Fishing.

To the OP, give the game time to grow and let's see how your points are addressed and what the community as a whole really wants.

As for the points 5) and 9), I would have to say that I disagree.

With the change in Cata, talents may grow stronger as you level, but there is no feeling of accomplishment or progress. I felt that looking at the talent tree and knowing that I had to gain five or six levels before I could visit a trainer and obtain a new talent demotivating. The prize was to far away. I hated the feeling of "Gratz you have just leveled up, you get nothing but keep playing because there is a talent you want only three levels away." Ability points are now at every other level. The changes in WOW took a lot of the fun and feeling of accomplishment away from growing your character. Leveling and questing just became a routine job without much reward to get to 85 so you could really start playing the game.

I have - had (lol) six 85s and never fished once. If I log on to an MMO and the only thing that I find to pass time is something like fishing, then it it is time for me to move on or play Peggle instead. So far in swtor I have a guild, five alts that I am leveling, crafting skills that I am building, questing, flashpoints, repeatable heroics, exploring, story lines to follow, and so on. Although I am mainly pve, I may try my hand at some pvp. These things keep me pretty busy for now. Get a cute companion and get on your ship and go out and count meteors together.

EDIT - So far (yes the game is new and almost everyone is not sitting at cap being bored) I have had no problem finding groups for flashpoints or heroics. One or two times I had to wait five or ten minutes but that sure beats the lfg in WOW with half to one hour ques for dps (before the tank / healer goody bags). Also grouping on my server has, so far, meant that I have found great people to play with; none of that scummy people experience that I found in WOW and in the end stopped me from grouping.

Edited by asbalana

if trion can release a pretty good MMO (rift) with a decent dungeon finder / LFG tool, then certainly bioware can.

Rift didn't launch with one.

now that game was awesome :) a modern asherons call would be awesome also :D

Awesome game and nice to see other ACers skulking about. I know games have come a long way and expectations have obivously changed for the worse in my opinion. Games are no longer difficult. In AC so much was a challenge. Travel was running and the occasional portal. NPCs didn't have little markers above them - you had to talk to them to figure things out. You couldn't just run through dungeons. Loot was random. Crafting was serious business and marketing your wares was a mule based lag mayhem. The game was more about adventure than having everything fed to you or being totally flexible with options. A few addons made some things easier, but you still had to scour the landscape for your desires. When I compare the OPs list against an antique like AC it's...

Originally Posted by Obiwanwillpwnme

1) Dungeon finder.

Something you do with a home made map, some chat, and possibly a copy of ACexplorer.

2) UI customisation.

Mmmmm, I can change my resolution.

3) Group loot rules.

Charity.

Open world PvP only.

Had that. And, you could put points into them as you saw fit. That was sooo 1999.

6) Addons.

Only had home grown addons after years of the game being open. Even then it was community based. Of course, AC was run by maybe a dozen guys so...we didn't expect much. Monthly events were sweet though so that made up for alot.

7) Guild storage.

Only after you worked for it. A guild had to have enough money to buy a mansion. Then you had to find one. After that the upkeep was steep.

8) Achievements.

Hmm, achievments in AC. Not getting ganked running through the hub, finishing an epic quest. Getting a drop you weren't expecting because drops were random. Getting max level...haha.

9) Fishing.

?

rift didn't have LFG at launch, it came out 4 months later

same for guild banks

so if you want to counter an argument, prepare yourself properly before

wait wait wait, so any future MMO has to do everything WOW does or a certain number of vocal clowns will come onto whatever those forums are and complain? Lets all get to end game and see if these problems persist and if these features are even needed. All of these people posting are probably not past 20 yet and can't even tie their own shoes. :w_wink:

yeah thank god the clowns don't know devs never really read general....

Oh... nonononononono

Anything but this. Dungeon finder ruined WoW.

Actually it made it better for me personally.. I hated having to type LFG blah blah over and over for an hour to get a group going.. Just one button push and it's automated.. makes things much more easier and makes the game more fun because i'm spending less time typing and sitting in a city doing nothing. Instead i'm playing.

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

9) Fishing.

You need to go back to WoW and never come back.

I came here to get awat from WoW because of what "it" has to offer"

Seriously just leave please.

I know you ex-Wow guys think that is the only game that has ever existed... but you are wrong, but no telling you that.

A dungeon finder is a horrible idea. It bypasses the community and the need to build relationships and take responsibility for your behavior. And it is usually only implemented when the game is already failing and needs to draft people into a party than using their social skills to build one.

The only thing WORSE than a Dungeon finder is a DPS meter.

I would love to see improvements to the UI though. We screamed about this all through beta and nothing was ever done to make it more user friendly. Though they promise now it is a "priority," we will see.

I would love to be able to just open whatever or how ever many windows I want, and be able to move them to wherever I please on the screen. Talk about basics rights, lol.

1. - No. Teleporting to "dungeon" kills the game as it is. A group building/finding tool would be nice.

2. - Yep, but only as it goes to the gui elemets place and color. No full addon need please.

3. - It's the usual as always.

4. - no comment.

5. - I don't mind. Its not a big deal at all.

6. - No.

7. - Will be soon. It's mentioned a lot of times.

8. - There are achivements in the game, not just the datacrons, but epic enemies, and others. Just not the silly "fart 3 times in the cantina" type (I love achivements, but I can easely see the point in this system too... you have to achieve Achivement, not handed over).

9. - Never ever was able to do it... after 2 minutes my mind went dumb, I started to drool into the keyboard. If it's about minigames, then pazaak, sabacc, swoopracing, holochess, having drinks in the cantinas...

About copying other games:

a normal, useable Market GUI please. Ability to buy stuff in stacks from vendors (like crafting material stuff), fix the stacking in the cargo hold.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.