Things SWTOR forgot to copy from WoW

Obiwanwillpwnme

1) Dungeon finder.

Finding a group and getting them all to the flashpoint takes too long, it's not fun so hardly anyone is playing flashpoints.

2) UI customisation.

Especially UI scaling. I play on a high-res monitor and the current UI is awful.

3) Group loot rules.

Don't let classes that can't use gear roll on it. It only causes grief, whether it was intentional or deliberate. WoW's 2-hour grace period for trading bound items with those eligible for them would have been nice, too.

4) Selecting PvP warzones.

Lots of people hate huttball. I know it helps reduce PvP queues, but melee classes hate it. I'd be much more likely to queue for PvP if I could knock it off the list.

5) Skills that level as you level.

Returning to a trainer every time you level up is not fun. It's a timesink.

6) Addons.

Especially DPS meters, or at least a combat log. I have no idea which of my skills/rotations are most effective which makes learning my class really hard. It's also very hard to analyse fights to work out what to avoid, which mob to kill first, what to interupt etc...

7) Guild storage.

Sharing materials and items with guildies is a big part of a successful guild. Currently this is reduced to asking/offering in guild chat, which is pretty tedious.

8) Achievements.

They were fun, quirky and added longevity to the game. A great way to spice up repetitive encounters and great personal goals for PvP.

9) Fishing.

Great way to pass the ti.. nevermind, maybe SWTOR is doing some things right.

1. It took WoW from the BC to the middle of Wrath (like 1.5 years) to take that from idea to reality and they are still working on it and improving it. That is a ton of development time to get multiple servers to talk to one another and link instance servers, and WoW got to piggy back on the battle group network, which ToR doesn't have.

2. I agree with you, shipping this game with its current UI in my opinion was a mistake, its simply god awful. The only worse UI I've seen is WoW's default UI that WoW shipped with.

3. Companions sort of screw that up. We have 5 companions that all use a ton of different gear.

4. I believe, if you bother to read the developer stickies, they are working on this.

5. This is debatable, timesink, moneysink? Needed? I dunno. Annoying. Ya I suppose.

6. I agree with you here, I believe that Bioware should have let modders at this game in beta, and allowed them the same level of input as WoW. You can't make a macro to run your class, or a mod to automate it, but UI improvements would be very welcome.

7. I believe, if you bother to read the developer stickies, they are working on this.

8. There are achievements for finding holocrons datacrons megatrons etc.. so I can see these sorts of things getting implemented.

9. Fishing cooking and first aid not being included is something I like about this game. There is a timesink...

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the hyperbole in the forum. People can't simply say "I didn't like feature _______ when they added it to WoW and here's why..." -- it always has to be "FEATURE __________ SINGLE-HANDEDLY KILLED WOW, LIKE OMG!"

Based on the number of features that supposedly "single-handedly" ruined WoW, I'm guessing that many folks don't understand what "single-handedly" means. Also, WoW is not dead. Far from it.

I just wish we had an alternate appearance function that allows me to better customize my look without sacrificing stats of new loot. WoW now has a system designed to do this, but TOR really needs something that other MMOs have done so well. I've placed a favorite armor look of mine in the bank as I got a new "better" set today, hoping I can get back that old look somehow I loved.

1) Dungeon finder.

Finding a group and getting them all to the flashpoint takes too long, it's not fun so hardly anyone is playing flashpoints.

I agree with this. I don't understand the hatred of it. I rarely ran dungeons in WoW until this little beauty came along. If you still want to spam chat looking for a group then you can. I don't see how this "destroys communities" as everyone seems to think. If anything it made me participate with people in group scenarios more. Before that I just ran solo mostly, occasionally questing with a few friends. Never felt like I had the time to do the rest of the cool content. I even love the raid finder they implemented.

2) UI customisation.

Especially UI scaling. I play on a high-res monitor and the current UI is awful.

Luckily I actually like the default UI quite a bit but I definitely agree with you. There are some customizations I wish I could do.

3) Group loot rules.

Don't let classes that can't use gear roll on it. It only causes grief, whether it was intentional or deliberate. WoW's 2-hour grace period for trading bound items with those eligible for them would have been nice, too.

I am almost certain this will happen eventually.

Lots of people hate huttball. I know it helps reduce PvP queues, but melee classes hate it. I'd be much more likely to queue for PvP if I could knock it off the list.

Haven't done much in this area but I would agree. More choice is better. I hate being forced to play things I don't want to. WoW incentivised you to do random warzones by offering rewards for doing the random. I think that is best of both worlds.

Not sure how I feel on this one. I don't mind going back to visit my trainer every once in a while. Then again I'm a little weird. I don't mind the extra running everywhere that a lot of people complain about. It's relaxing to me to just play and stroll around the world from quest to quest. If I had to ask for something it would be more side quests and longer side-quest chains that don't end so abruptly.

6) Addons.

Especially DPS meters, or at least a combat log. I have no idea which of my skills/rotations are most effective which makes learning my class really hard. It's also very hard to analyse fights to work out what to avoid, which mob to kill first, what to interupt etc...

I feel like all great MMOs have to have this and BioWare has made it abundantly clear that addon support is coming.

7) Guild storage.

Sharing materials and items with guildies is a big part of a successful guild. Currently this is reduced to asking/offering in guild chat, which is pretty tedious.

Same as #6. BioWare has said this is coming soon.

8) Achievements.

They were fun, quirky and added longevity to the game. A great way to spice up repetitive encounters and great personal goals for PvP.

I think I agree here. When I was bored it was sometimes fun to just pick an achievement to try to get.

9) Fishing.

Don't forget archaeology!

There are so many valid (and dumb) arguements for and against WoW-like features in this thread. I have only got this to say, and even Bioware have agreed. WoW has set the standard. It IS the benchmark that every other MMO has to reach to be considered a success. Not to emulate some of its features and the way things in WoW are done would be very dumb indeed.

The OP makes some very valid points. But please don't add LFG to this game.

LFG basically destroyed the WoW community forever. Why go to the bother of making friends on a realm to run dungeons and now even raids with when you can stand in SW/Org, hit a button and wait? You can then be as rude and commit as much douchebaggery as you like and not suffer the consequences for it. No. Just no. LFG means /subscription for a lot of players. Including myself.

I think that is a dumb perspective. LFG does not stop you from making friends if that's what you want to do. The only thing it does is give those casual players, that wouldn't otherwise have the time, an opportunity to experience all the extra content.

Personally, I made MORE friends from LFG than I did before it existed. The cross-realm bit made that a little harder so I could say maybe keeping LFG to one realm because then everyone there could be a potential friend on your server. But I even made friends just so we could queue up together and not get stuck with random people. I also loved being able to have four people and then fill the fifth slot with someone from LFG instead of having to just forget about the run because we couldn't find a fifth person to run with us.

Edited by Chevex

I agree with some of this thread, disagree with some, what specifically doesn't matter though to my comment.

WoW has evolved and had thousands of people with deep pockets working on it for years. The development time for ToR was long enough, to make this game as polished and large as WoW would have tripled the number of employees required, development time, and budget on what is already one of the most expensive launch titles ever created. I'm not saying it's perfect, I'm just saying it'll take time before you see anything close to WoW's polish. That said, I quite WoW a long time ago but because of the community, not the game.

If you find WoW fun, play it. If you find ToR fun, play it. If you prefer Hello Kitty, Island Adventures, play it. This is a hobby, after all.

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

9) Fishing.

How many of those things did WoW have at launch? No, take your time while you go look that up.

That's what I thought.

Also, LFD tool created the worst people on Earth. And I'm including terrorists and Scientologists in that statement.

rift didn't have LFG at launch, it came out 4 months later

same for guild banks

so if you want to counter an argument, prepare yourself properly before

regardless.. DCUO did have one at launch.. im sure of that, so my point still stands.

EDIT: for specifics, im talking about a DF.

Edited by SithInitiate

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

9) Fishing.

1) No. God No. Yoda rollin' in his grave, NO!

2) Yes Please.

3) Yes, I can agree with this.

4) Abstain. I don't PvP much, don't really care.

5) Meh. Fine with it as it is.

6) Meh. Fine with it as it is.

7) Gonna agree on this one.

8) In a way, your Codex acts as an achievement center. But, some additional Codex entries based on random achievements would be nice.

9) :)

But I even made friends just so we could queue up together and not get stuck with random people.

eeehr... so, if you praise the DF so much, why wouldn't you want to "get stuck with random people"? you could have made more friends!

Edited by Graburr

1) Dungeon finder.

It will be useful, but I highly dount the lack of Dungeon Finder stops many people from doing flash points.

2) UI customisation.

They have stated that they plan to add UI customization in an update soon.

3) Group loot rules.

This makes a lot of sense, a few times people have won loot that they either cannot use, or is not made for their class.

I've heard no one say anything bad about Huttball, but I do think they we should be able to queue up for whatever warzone we want despite what planet we are on.

I agree with this, we should be able to train our skill wherever we are like we do for our skill trees.

6) Addons.

These are things that should be added and I hope they do add them.

7) Guild storage.

They have mentioned adding guild bank as well.

8) Achievements.

Sounds interesting and sounds like something they will likely add.

9) Fishing.

not sure if your serious about this one, but I'm sure some people would like it (not me)

THE GAMES HAS JUST LAUNCHED!!!!!

WoW is out for many MANY years! What did you expect???

The problem with this is that WoW is out there. You can say what you want about all of the things that you dislike about it, but it has a ton of "quality of life" enhancements (pretty much everything the OP listed falls into that category) that you don't miss until you're gone. SWTOR has great potential, but it doesn't exist in a vacuum. People won't be patient enough to let SWTOR develop over time when they can return to WoW and not suffer the quality of life annoyances.

If those things aren't in there by the end of the free month (particularly a direct copy of the dungeon finder tool) then people will bail back to WoW.

I say this not because I want it to happen (the best thing for the MMO world would be to have a second successful MMO out there), but to point out what needs to be done to prevent it from happening.

Originally Posted by Obiwanwillpwnme

1) Dungeon finder.

Don't need no stinking Dungeon finder. It does not take that long. You can be doing other things while waiting to get a group.

You do realize the more conveniences you add the more dull 'WoW' like it becomes.

Part of any great game comes with some difficulty. Getting a group is not that bad.

If the game becomes nothing but running flash points then it will becomes bad like WoW'esque.

2) UI customization.

I agree with you.

3) Group loot rules.

Disagree, in part. Let them roll on it. This makes sense if bind on equip. You may have an alt or friend that you would like to gift it to them.

And if the person 'needs' all the time spread the name around. LOL Maybe the person should earn Force points opposite their faction or opposite what they are pushing their player in. For some insane reason I am pushing a Trooper to the Dark Side (muah ha ha ha)

Nice idea to be able to choose which tournament/PvP games you want to participate in.

Again not that bad. I have found myself getting 3 levels on different characters before going to trainers. I wouldn't change it just yet.

6) Addons.

I am personally not too worried about Add-ons so early in a game. It takes some of the fun of trial and error out of the game. It takes a bit away from players sharing what has worked for them.

It might be entertaining when a trainer gives you tips such as what your looking for to actual train you in addition to buying the next skill.

A trainer actually showing/telling you a couple of combo's to do more damage, more healing or more crowd control. I think it may lead to a more immersive game.

7) Guild storage.

Not a big deal. I have guild mates willing to come out to deliver something they have or mail to me. When they come out they run a mission or two with me as well. It's a team building thing.

8) Achievements.

If you run out of content let there be a sandbox on the outer rim or something where you are mining and building your own little empire. A mix of sandbox for control of space or trade and missions in the games native play still would be cool.

Achievements strip you out of the game quickly. You are no longer playing Star Wars but a Zynga game that is even more boring and trite as time wears on.

9) Fishing.

Really? For reals? o/~ You get a line. I'll get a pole.. o/~ Then I'll snuff your life out with a blaster or a light sabre. Are you trying to sabotage the game?

Glad you brought these things up so we can Force choke it before it taints the pure blood SWTOR.

Screw Fishing, my Trooper would either use thermal detonators, or fire rockets into the lake with his ship then cast a net.

But in seriousness, wow fishing sucked, rather have something like Final Fantasy Online's fishing system if we had any kind of fishing at all

Oh... nonononononono

Anything but this. Dungeon finder ruined WoW.

ROFL I love when such naive people say this. Dungeon finders ruined WoW hahahaha. Nope they made the game better.

WoW and their developers who are making horrible end game all of Cata and kept getting worse and worse each patch. That ruined WoW.

Dungeon finder is the only thing that helped WoW.

I love how the fact everyone says no dungeon finder cause all it does is make people stand around and do nothing.

I like to prove a point here... I am stuck in the fleet place spamming lfg and doing nothing but letting my "pet" run off on missions.

I really can't do nothing more, cause if I'm not on the fleet spamming I'm missing out on 99% of people whos doing flash points.

So see how ironic your point is? With out a dungeon finder I'm standing around in one spot spamming lfg over and over till someone takes me.

Least with a dungeon finder I could still be enjoying the game and the damn story.