On paper SWTOR is the ultimate MMO

Piratekinq

If they fixed these issues I would love this game:

long load times: my computer is awesome and I can play games like battlefield 3 and Mass Effect without any issues

lack of ambiance(flora and fauna, birds, critters, weather, day/night etc) I wish the cities and towns were more crowded and felt like a place that people actually live. Dromuund Kaas is the only planet I felt came close followed by Alderaan and that one place with the blue people.

The combat I personally find to be boring when questing(PVP is fine though). I personally wish there were 3 Core skills 1 or 2 passives and 1 ultimate and the combat was more action packed and quicker like Diablo 3. I'm sure most people however would disagree on this point but it would end up playing more like DotA or Diablo

By the way does anyone else get this. When you are watching videos of the game or seeing images of it the graphics look really good but when you are actually playing its not as good?

Edited by Piratekinq

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't get why people say the load times are long. 20 seconds max for me. What are you people running on?

i7 2600k 3.4Ghz

Nvidia 260

16 GB RAM

Win7

My load times are slow but I know I have an old box with only mid range graphics card and out of date CPU. Hopefully updating to overspecced PC soon :cool:

For me it's not the load times, its the shear number of loading screens. I loath having to travel from world to world knowing I have to click the elevator, go to my ship's hatch, load the taking off cutscene, spawning into my ship, cutscene traveling to the new planet, loading into the starport or the W T F orbital station, going to the elevator, going to the shuttle, loading into the next planet.

I can put up with a few seconds of load time but dang what an annoyance when there are so many that really make no sense why.

For me it's not the load times, its the shear number of loading screens. I loath having to travel from world to world knowing I have to click the elevator, go to my ship's hatch, load the taking off cutscene, spawning into my ship, cutscene traveling to the new planet, loading into the starport or the W T F orbital station, going to the elevator, going to the shuttle, loading into the next planet.

I can put up with a few seconds of load time but dang what an annoyance when there are so many that really make no sense why.

:rak_02:

Pretty much all those take less than 10 seconds to load.

Edited by Jaick

Yea thats what I meant with long loading times. Its not necessarily one bad loading screen but the time it takes you to get from ship to destination. In older StarWars games you would land on the planet and you were done. They should replace all that crap with a cinematic so people who want "immersion" can have it and people who don't can just skip it.

My load times are slow but I know I have an old box with only mid range graphics card and out of date CPU. Hopefully updating to overspecced PC soon :cool:

I wonder how many are in your same boat. They have a slightly older PC and blame the game for poor performance instead of the PC.

I got a buddy that thought the game was running terrible. Well guess what? It really was. Cause he was running a video card driver that was over a year old. One update and BAM. It was like he was playing a new game.

I'm not saying the game doesn't have bugs and bugs that need to be fixed. I know it seems belsavis has a longer loading time for me vs any other planet but sometimes it is the users fault.

Good luck with a new PC though. It does make all the difference.

Edited by Quraswren

Yea thats what I meant with long loading times. Its not necessarily one bad loading screen but the time it takes you to get from ship to destination.

It's a longer transition then other MMOs when loading into a planet, but I really don't care since I don't cross planet transition boundaries that often. Maybe once every hour or two or several. In fact, it's a good time to get up and stretch for a minute in between playing (which everyone should do anyway).

Instant gratification is nice, but not necessary... and some would argue it feeds into player impatience and gratification habits.

Edited by Andryah

yeah Loading screen is not a problem for me because i played Lotro and i have seen how you would Tab out to check something while waiting on Loading screen.

but yeah man i see a lot of potential in this game because i really love it, i pre ordered and got it then saw a CE and bought it too lol, so what is happening now is a disappointment for me and many people like me!

Yea thats what I meant with long loading times. Its not necessarily one bad loading screen but the time it takes you to get from ship to destination. In older StarWars games you would land on the planet and you were done. They should replace all that crap with a cinematic so people who want "immersion" can have it and people who don't can just skip it.

I would just love the option to board my ship but not leave. I hate needing to go to my ship that leaves the planet all so I can talk to a companion or another thing quest related only to need to load the entire planet back up because I didn't actually leave.

So the number of times I sit at a load screen does bother me.

By the way does anyone else get this. When you are watching videos of the game or seeing images of it the graphics look really good but when you are actually playing its not as good?

You need a better computer. It looks like the videos when I play.

If they fixed these issues I would love this game:

long load times: my computer is awesome and I can play games like battlefield 3 and Mass Effect without any issues

lack of ambiance(flora and fauna, birds, critters, weather, day/night etc) I wish the cities and towns were more crowded and felt like a place that people actually live. Dromuund Kaas is the only planet I felt came close followed by Alderaan and that one place with the blue people.

The combat I personally find to be boring when questing(PVP is fine though). I personally wish there were 3 Core skills 1 or 2 passives and 1 ultimate and the combat was more action packed and quicker like Diablo 3.

Load Times - I agree they are long, but there aren't too many so I don't mind them. It's the micro stutter when there are more than a dozen characters on screen that annoys me. And I play on a high quality SSD, so why it happens baffles me. Both in WoW and GW2 I get zero stuttering when my screen fills with players. I get frame rate drops in Guild Wars 2 during sieges, but it remains consistent. In SWTOR around the GTN, I get an insane amount of stutter. Not cool.

Ambience - I agree. Probably because I'm a graphics whore. But this game has some gorgeous flora tech, especially the grasses. Dromuund Kaas is beautiful, and I'm a big fan of Tython. But what the hell did they do with the waterfalls!? That would be my biggest request for graphical improvements. Genuinely the ugliest waterfalls I've seen since the PS2 era. And even some of those games had better waterfalls than SWTOR. Ugh. Talk about clashing graphics.

Combat - Agree 100%. There are far too many skills in SWTOR. GW2, TERA, and TESO recognized that the way forward was fewer skills, that are more interesting and impactful, easy to learn and hard to master. SWTOR thought the way forward was MOAR SKILLS, and overloaded my hotbars with them. So many skills, some doing almost identical things, the majority of which could easily be condensed down for a more enjoyable experience. I literally have the number keys 1 through to = hotkeyed for one bar, F1 through to F12 for the second, Ctrl+1 through to Ctrl+= for the 12 buttons on my Razer Naga mouse for the third bar, and the keys Q, E, G, and T hotkeyed on my fourth bar.

What. The. Hell?

There were two reasons I left the game back in January - Open World PVP was broken, and showed no signs of improvement. And the skills were horrendously overdone. I'm now back to experience the game for what it is (a single player MMO with some great class stories) and hoping that the transition to F2P turns its fortunes around and allows the devs time to improve the game and finally introduce some meaty new content.

But seriously, please trim the skills. It's going to be a huge barrier to entry for the casual market. Fewer skills doesn't mean an easier game - it means an easier game to get into.

But seriously, please trim the skills. It's going to be a huge barrier to entry for the casual market. Fewer skills doesn't mean an easier game - it means an easier game to get into.

The last thing this game needs is to be made easier. It may not be an MMO, but it is still a game and a game should offer at least a speck of challenge.

I just don't get why people say the load times are long. 20 seconds max for me. What are you people running on?

i7 2600k 3.4Ghz

Nvidia 260

16 GB RAM

Win7

Dude, 20 seconds is long. I don't know what you're used to but on WoW, Tera, and DCUO my load times are often about 5 - 10 seconds. In SWTOR it's easily half a minute. Seriously.

Dude, 20 seconds is long. I don't know what you're used to but on WoW, Tera, and DCUO my load times are often about 5 - 10 seconds. In SWTOR it's easily half a minute. Seriously.

Even if it is half a minute you are going to tell me that 30 SECONDS is to long of a load. I guess we really are dealing with the ADHD generation. Loading times are NOT an issue that warrants huge dev time to fix.

Removing skills as well shouldn't be on the table. The reason I hate Guild Wars is because I have 2 things to use in combat how does that make it more enjoyable.

On active planet life, weather, day/night cycle this I would agree should be worked on for sure.

Edited by LukeSaberRattler

i never understood the fuss blizzard made about having a non-loadscreen world, b/c it was my first mmo. AFter playing ToR, i realize how annoying it is, load screens for everywhere.. it makes sense for TOR because you are moving from one world to another, but in this situation they can at least provide something extra in the loading screen

Maybe an option for high end machines? AN animation of the ship leaving the planet and going into space while the new world is loading in teh background.. not sure if that works, but they need to do something.

i don't like feeling so disjointed between travelling worlds, They need to make space explorable somehow, you can move through space manually as an alternative to zipping automatically from oneplanet to another. I think the whole "space thing needs to be redesigned, see if they can capture properly that sense of space you get in the movies, because it's not in the game.

Look at the movies, they spend most of their time on planets or indoors on vessels, but space is resolved well enough for you to feel like you are in space when you are in space, this somehow doesn't carry on through the game, and i think its vital that this makes it into the game somehow

It's a longer transition then other MMOs when loading into a planet, but I really don't care since I don't cross planet transition boundaries that often. Maybe once every hour or two or several. In fact, it's a good time to get up and stretch for a minute in between playing (which everyone should do anyway).

Instant gratification is nice, but not necessary... and some would argue it feeds into player impatience and gratification habits.

Are you actually defending overly long load times? :rolleyes: There are a lot of unjustified issues kicking around that are worth defending - a lack of an optimized client is not one of those unjustified issues. This cannot be spun into a positive.

Are you actually defending overly long load times? :rolleyes: There are a lot of unjustified issues kicking around that are worth defending - a lack of an optimized client is not one of those unjustified issues. This cannot be spun into a positive.

Are you saying this game has overly long load times? It has a load screen going to a new planet or FP/OP/WZ. All of which load in 20 - 60 seconds for most users. My goodness 60 secs is an eternity I could die of old age before that finishes. ;)