What is Star Wars?

Murasakikitsune

A post in another thread sparked a quandary, which I'd like to hear opinions about.

What is Star Wars at its heart? What makes a movie, game, or book truly live up to its name? What qualities does something need to feel like Star Wars?

I've got my own opinions, but I'd rather hear yours instead.

Wow, that's a broad question!

short answer: the Force

It would take pages of stuff to truly sum it up though, and I'm not up to the challenge.

Star Wars is not the same for everyone. For me it is swashbuckling in space, and it must have awe moments, so every movies or book has to have new starships, new aliens, new worlds and new ideas to explore. The Prequels did this, even though they had many issues, and the Thrawn trilogy did this too, but after that the EU had become very fast just a soap opera, where we just get to see all the things we already knew. So, I am excited to see the new movies and hope they bring some fresh wind with them.

To me the most blatant would be atmosphere. Star Wars is atmosphere.

The obvious is the visual design, the visual atmosphere, and the audio design and the audio atmosphere.

Lucas made a playground for people with imagination, a suggestion of another world that somehow is just solid enough to make you feel like it's really out there somewhere, and that to me is rare in fiction.

Star Wars is mysticism and destiny, American Western vibes married with the samurai of Kurosawa,... with vibrant rich archetypal landscapes and settings and color schemes connected to every color in the rainbow. It is the warm glow of those colors bathing the characters in a thick blanket of light you can almost touch.

A world where helmets change your voice into cold and alien sounds, a world where engines scream and howl and roar in your ears, where lightsabers hum in your hands and clash like a steel knife shrieking against dry ice.

Edited by evilknick

aside from the visuals for me it's a fun adventure film. I hate when people say that Star Wars needs to be dark. It's never really dark. It has some dark elements but even thouse are kind of light hearted and comic in a way.

No way. Just like Tolkien, the light stuff can be incredibly light, but the dark stuff is incredibly dark. You must not be watching the same movies I am watching.

No way. Just like Tolkien, the light stuff can be incredibly light, but the dark stuff is incredibly dark. You must not be watching the same movies I am watching.

ok fine lets look at the OT.

Lukes aunt and uncle get burned alive. not that dark

Alderan gets destroyed and billions of people die not that dark

Empire

Luke gets his hand cut off and learns that Vader is his father not that dark

Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba not that dark.

Return... i really can't think of anything dark in that.

There is a reason all the movies were rated PG

Star Wars is not the same for everyone. For me it is swashbuckling in space, and it must have awe moments, so every movies or book has to have new starships, new aliens, new worlds and new ideas to explore. The Prequels did this, even though they had many issues, and the Thrawn trilogy did this too, but after that the EU had become very fast just a soap opera, where we just get to see all the things we already knew. So, I am excited to see the new movies and hope they bring some fresh wind with them.

^^^ That's Star Wars in a nutshell.

ok fine lets look at the OT.

Lukes aunt and uncle get burned alive. not that dark

Alderan gets destroyed and billions of people die not that dark

Empire

Luke gets his hand cut off and learns that Vader is his father not that dark

Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba not that dark.

Return... i really can't think of anything dark in that.

There is a reason all the movies were rated PG

I hope your not serious.

I come at star wars from a different angle. I had the toys as a kid because everyone did, untill he-man came out. I was a fan of the movies I guess, but I wasn't a fanboy. Untill Jedi Knight 2. The first time I ever got to play as a light saber weilding bad *** I was hooked. Morality choices really drew me into the game. Then came Jedi Academy which I loved so much. Put KOTOR I and II in there and I am now a full blown rabid star wars fan. So for me Star Wars is being a Jedi.

All three of the prequels came out in the time frame I just mentioned, but it has been my personal time playing a jedi in video games that has definded star wars for me.

Edit: I said definded

Edited by Crawelc

Star Wars is a world that has a democratic republic that operates with a capitalistic society. There is a strange religion that only a small percent can practice and those people usually protect that republic or try to overthrow it into a Fascist society. Individualism is key in the Star Wars universe.

the lightsabers and blasters, tie fighters and imperial star destroyers

the MINDBLOWING sound track, both environment , and williams score

the moral lessons from the series

i always felt , that the force really didnt "fit in " this universe, but was used to visualize some

of the moral choices,,why do ALL scifi have to use some fantasy elements?

The obvious is the visual design, the visual atmosphere, and the audio design and the audio atmosphere.

Lucas made a playground for people with imagination, a suggestion of another world that somehow is just solid enough to make you feel like it's really out there somewhere, and that to me is rare in fiction.

Star Wars is mysticism and destiny, American Western vibes married with the samurai of Kurosawa,... with vibrant rich archetypal landscapes and settings and color schemes connected to every color in the rainbow. It is the warm glow of those colors bathing the characters in a thick blanket of light you can almost touch.

A world where helmets change your voice into cold and alien sounds, a world where engines scream and howl and roar in your ears, where lightsabers hum in your hands and clash like a steel knife shrieking against dry ice.

A beautiful summary, and an excellent question!

Star Wars is that tingling sensation that feels like the magic of it all is flowing through you. Its bewitching, fascinating and addictive.

To me when Luke yells "Father" while Sidious is zapping him is the same as "Arthur here is the grail drink". SW's is an old story bundled for a new group of people open to its "touch".

+10 for George Lucas and Joesph Campbell job well done.