Ranked PvP

MelliMelon

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, sorry, we only had three matches. Sky always has to go at 11 CST, Kirax was very sick and had to go as well, Scyn completely lost internet... you get the picture. The huttballs shall come next week!

As always, thank you to Infamous and GD for queueing. We're all rooting for more huttballs and less Civil Wars...

So Eternal Guardians is looking to run some ranked. Here's the catch, we figure we can get about half a team together most nights (have 6 who we're looking at having in the lineup, expect to have 4 to queue). Are there any guild out there who would be interested in running a mixed team with us? We're looking at bringing Moco, Aikon, Hancase/Themes, Chireth/Silverdawn, Gustave and Vestax. We're still working on gear for some, but they're skilled players. If anyone is interested, feel free to contact me. Thanks.

Yeah, sorry, we only had three matches. Sky always has to go at 11 CST, Kirax was very sick and had to go as well, Scyn completely lost internet... you get the picture. The huttballs shall come next week!

As always, thank you to Infamous and GD for queueing. We're all rooting for more huttballs and less Civil Wars...

Well, I actually root for fewer Civil Wars.

(:p)

So Eternal Guardians is looking to run some ranked. Here's the catch, we figure we can get about half a team together most nights (have 6 who we're looking at having in the lineup, expect to have 4 to queue). Are there any guild out there who would be interested in running a mixed team with us? We're looking at bringing Moco, Aikon, Hancase/Themes, Chireth/Silverdawn, Gustave and Vestax. We're still working on gear for some, but they're skilled players. If anyone is interested, feel free to contact me. Thanks.

Giving out your roster beforehand isn't really the best idea. Just sayin'.

Giving out your roster beforehand isn't really the best idea. Just sayin'.

My mistake. I was giving the list of people we have to let any groups who wanted to let any guilds who were interested know what they were getting into. I don't imagine people hear "EG" and think about our awesome PvP'ers, but we do have some players who I suspect have individual name recognition. I don't suppose I can Jedi Mind Trick the error away, can I?

My mistake. I was giving the list of people we have to let any groups who wanted to let any guilds who were interested know what they were getting into. I don't imagine people hear "EG" and think about our awesome PvP'ers, but we do have some players who I suspect have individual name recognition. I don't suppose I can Jedi Mind Trick the error away, can I?

What were we talking about again? :eek:

Civil war is fun. Its voidstar that I hate getting into, regs or ranked :(

In ranked, Civil Wars are a nightmare because the outcome is virtually always decided in the first minute, and then the game stretches onnnnnnnnnnnn for another 20 minutes. 20 minutes of one side virtually assured a loss and the other virtually assured a victory. It's TERRIBLE.

It's so irritating it's taken Voidstar's place as the unfavorite.

In ranked, Civil Wars are a nightmare because the outcome is virtually always decided in the first minute, and then the game stretches onnnnnnnnnnnn for another 20 minutes. 20 minutes of one side virtually assured a loss and the other virtually assured a victory. It's TERRIBLE.

It's so irritating it's taken Voidstar's place as the unfavorite.

I always had fun in those kinds of civil wars. It occasionally happens in the regs as well.

I always had fun in those kinds of civil wars. It occasionally happens in the regs as well.

It happens almost every single ranked Civil War, and you have virtually no chance of wiping the other side at a turret to come back from losing the tic. It gets very very old, trust me. In normals, an uncapped mid is the sign of a competitive match. Quite the opposite in ranked -- neither side is likely to get two turrets. It's liked being doubled in normal Civil Wars, except that it lasts 95% of the match.

Edited by stringcat

What val is trying to say is as it may be fun for whoever is at mid (and it is fun), it is definitely not a good map for ranked pvp. For a match to be decided within the first minute, it just makes you think whats the point? The likelihood of you capturing mid or a side turret is marginally small. The only thing you could hope for would be a glaring mistake. Mistakes on the line of not responding to incomings (never happens) or severely overcompensating an incoming (also never happens). Basically once the side nodes are capped it becomes a "lets fight in the middle for 20 minutes until the match is over" type of match.

I always like the ones where nobody manages to cap mid and it's a 10 - 0 win for whichever team capped their side first. Those giant prolonged wars at mid can be quite exciting.

This, that just goes to show a pretty even competitiveness between the teams. And although its difficult to break that kind of stalemate, its not impossible. Those are the kinds of matches where your initial decisions can have consequences. For me that is what makes a good pvp match. Roflstompin a team is what gets old imo.

I have noticed a lot of Civil War matches now running for the sides and just sending 1-2 to mid to stop the immediate cap. If you can get there side turret before mid is captured then it is usually game over too.

It is very rare that once a turret is captured (esp in Ranked) that the turret is captured by the other side unless there is a disparity in the gear/teams which can be exploited.

Civil War is a nightmare for MM snipers though due to all the LOS issues, it is why I changed to Engineering spec. The Mid usually ends up with who is putting the most pressure on the opposing healers.

I agree with Val. For the last 4+ weeks, every single Civil War we have gotten against GD in ranked has been a stalemate, which degenerates into the winning team playing defensively and the losing team taking risks.

This also means I'm running around keeping a select few topped off and letting others repeatedly die. It is mindnumbingly boring and frustrating. Also, for the losing team, you have to wallow in your defeat for ~20 minutes, arguing about what went wrong and how to improve. I suppose it's good... target practice, but our ranked teams don't really need that (plus we have AH for that!)

My favorite thing about ranked versus GD and Infamous is intellectual, strategical play. Civil war has that a LOT in the first minute, but then unless one of their members disconnects or does something really stupid (good luck on that one) it's game over after that. Interestingly enough, I love civil war in normals.

I love civil war in normals.

Because you are a sneaky side capping cheater. ;)

So Eternal Guardians is looking to run some ranked. .

It would be great to have a 4th team on Mondays, right now it's usually 1 group sitting out while the other 2 play. Sometimes can be frustrating to queue for 2 hrs and get 3 matches.

Would be awesome if you guys could get a group, I recognize a few of those names and I hardly pvp outside ranked. I would say don't be discouraged if you lose at first, since GD and ASB have been practicing strategies and team coordination for a long time. And even though Infamous haven't been doing as much ranked for as long they are very strong as well.

Definitely fun games, Jordo.

And yeah, we just had the one tank, Myrm.

I like watching our ranked matches again. I always look back at decisions made and watch how I can improve. I generally record all ranked matches, but this was the first to be posted. If I am less of a coward, I'll try posting more in the upcoming weeks.

Definitely fun games, Jordo.

And yeah, we just had the one tank, Myrm.

I like watching our ranked matches again. I always look back at decisions made and watch how I can improve. I generally record all ranked matches, but this was the first to be posted. If I am less of a coward, I'll try posting more in the upcoming weeks.

You guys did pretty damn good considering. And your not a coward, post more :D