SWTOR Ties To New Episode VII?

Evarwyn

Just thought it'd be fun to speculate.

So, it was announced that Episode VII will NOT be any story we've known from the novels/comics. That means...Luke Skywalker's NJO is OUT!

Since SWTOR is *THE* Star Wars game right now, do you think it'd be fun if BioWare and Disney/Lucas Arts found a way to link an expansion to Episode VII? Here are some quick ideas:

1. Small events in SWTOR finally become HUGE problems in Ep7
  2. New areas created for SWTOR seen as ancient ruins in Ep7
  3. A SWTOR antagonist *somehow* influences the story in Ep7 (maybe becomes THE bad guy)
  4. Character's in SWTOR (Satele Shan) have datacrons that become reference points for knowlege in Ep7 and help the hero(s) resolve their conflict

It's a shame. I've always wanted to see the Thrawn Trilogy on the big screen, but have always been terrified that they would royally f it up.

As far as KOTOR/SWTOR influence goes, I would say the chances are slim. The time gap is way too great for any significant impact on the story. Plus it would take considerable effort to explain the history when Episodes 1-6 already did that heavy lifting for them.

Edited by alen

I agree that any heavy story influences would be a stretch. However, I think small things in the story and/or on the screen that us SWTOR players would immediately recognize would be great!

For example, in Episode III, when Palpatine was telling Anakin that he was the Sith Lord, the room they were in was adorned with ancient Sith relics! Those relics looked EXACTLY like the ones you see in the original KOTOR. When I saw that, I got really excited, because it really fostered that idea of "This is the same Star Wars universe, no matter what the medium"

Think about it for a second....

The number of the film kinda gives it away.

"Episode 7"

Which sort of hints it will be set after ROTJ and not in the Old Republic. Seeing as they seem to be going in chronological order, the 7 will probably set it some years after ROTJ.

"Episode 7"

Which sort of hints it will be set after ROTJ and not in the Old Republic. Seeing as they seem to be going in chronological order, the 7 will probably set it some years after ROTJ.

Episode Vii might just be a placeholder name, but I agree from the name I assume it will be after Luke saves the galaxy from the clutches of Emperor Wrinkles and his butler Darth Asthma Attack.

I would love an Old Republic time period movie with Revan in it though, and Morgan Freeman could play a Sith Lord! They could cast Angelina Jolie as Bastila, and I would be up for being cast as Revan. Call me Disney, I'm available.

It's a shame. I've always wanted to see the Thrawn Trilogy on the big screen, but have always been terrified that they would royally f it up.

As far as KOTOR/SWTOR influence goes, I would say the chances are slim. The time gap is way too great for any significant impact on the story. Plus it would take considerable effort to explain the history when Episodes 1-6 already did that heavy lifting for them.

Ya what great books huh? LOL, because it was a book it was good, the books were stupid with some lame ideas save Thrawn himself. C'boath has to be one of the stupidest characters outside of Jar Jar. Lame books if they're smart they won't touch any of those ideas.

Pretty sure they're not gonna tie in the failure this game is to a new film they want to be good.

Someone sounds cranky, so how many times did you fail math class in highschool?

The game is a success even if it isn't a "Massive" success. Investor reports state this game is making profits and that with the f2p and cartel market systems they intend to make much more. So keep believing that everything you dislike is a failure because It makes it less likely you will ever make a buck in the marketplace.

Not to mention the Old Republic era isn't just from this game, it is mention in episode 1, 2, 3 briefly. Nothing in detail of course. There are many books that are decent, despite what your views are. Just because you don't like the books doesn't mean that a majority of others don't. I've never read them but I have heard 100s of people praise them, everyone has their own tastes.

Keep an open mind, because closing your mind to new ideas and other people's preferences ensures that you will never improve. You may only like "Super Amazing action packed fight scenes" but you should at least be able to appreciate when something not in your taste does well.

If they made a movie set in this games time period not only would it bring in Non-Gamer starwars fans, it would draw this games playerbase into the theaters as well.

You might just be a star-trek fan. There's no shame in having different tastes.

Someone sounds cranky, so how many times did you fail math class in highschool?

The game is a success even if it isn't a "Massive" success. Investor reports state this game is making profits and that with the f2p and cartel market systems they intend to make much more. So keep believing that everything you dislike is a failure because It makes it less likely you will ever make a buck in the marketplace.

Not to mention the Old Republic era isn't just from this game, it is mention in episode 1, 2, 3 briefly. Nothing in detail of course. There are many books that are decent, despite what your views are. Just because you don't like the books doesn't mean that a majority of others don't. I've never read them but I have heard 100s of people praise them, everyone has their own tastes.

Keep an open mind, because closing your mind to new ideas and other people's preferences ensures that you will never improve. You may only like "Super Amazing action packed fight scenes" but you should at least be able to appreciate when something not in your taste does well.

If they made a movie set in this games time period not only would it bring in Non-Gamer starwars fans, it would draw this games playerbase into the theaters as well.

You might just be a star-trek fan. There's no shame in having different tastes.

Did just fine in Math, in fact I can count to 38, which is how many ppl are currently on my fleet right now, hum, you sure got me, big success. Battlefield Earth was huge at the box office, it must have been a great movie huh?

Edited by United_Strafes

"Episode 7"

You must not have read my posts. I'm *NOT* suggesting Episode 7 take place during TOR. I'm *suggesting* it might be fun for SWTOR gamers to see some kind of small influence from the old republic era IN episode 7, since they've already said its going to depart from the assumed storyline (from the novels/comics). I'm also asking what plot devices or influences you'd like to see, if it were to happen.

Don't be surprised if you see various movie series spawn from the sell. I have no doubt Episode VII-IX will continue the story line and GL's original outline.

But, I really think we will see a new series or more. Putting KOTOR and the Rakata storyline on film would be epic!

Pretty sure they're not gonna tie in the failure this game is to a new film they want to be good.

This. It would be an insult to the other 6 films if the movies were linked to this game. I'll be pretty disappointed if they have cartel market ads on episode 7 ads.

Edited by AFKGCWBOT

This is from MSN

The seventh movie, with a working title of "Episode 7," is set for release in 2015. Episodes 8 and 9 will follow. The new trilogy will carry the story of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia beyond "Return of the Jedi," the third film released and the sixth in the saga. After that, Disney plans a new "Star Wars" movie every two or three years. Lucas will serve as the creative consultant for the new movies.

I posted the whole article yesterday but the mods deleted it without a word. Funny that they leave open like 10 other threads on the subject but mine got deleted. Oh well, anyways, here is the info I read.

No. Just no.

Yeah, they need to do casting based on who is actually a good actor/actress this time and not who looks the part. Angelina Jolie is not a good actress.

As bad as most of the dialogue was written for the prequels, better actors/actresses could have made something of it. Natalie Portman may have looked the part, but was a terrible choice.

Ewan McGregor had the same bad writing to deal with, but never came across poorly.

As long as people keep their expectations in check, i.e. the new films won't be as good as the original trilogy, nothing ever will, this will be good.

Edited by arunav

Did just fine in Math, in fact I can count to 38, which is how many ppl are currently on my fleet right now, hum, you sure got me, big success. Battlefield Earth was huge at the box office, it must have been a great movie huh?

Sounds like maybe a European server? Every server in the U.S. Is either full, heavy or standard.

The treatments for episodes 7-9 were already written by Geo. Lucas according to the author of "Skywalking". While the scripts weren't written and there is no guarantee those are going to be used, the article I read also spoke to Mark Hamill who stated that he and Carrie Fisher were slated to have lunch with Mr Lucas...

This means nothing really but the most interesting part of the article was that Luke Skywalker was supposed to be in his 30's or 40's for 7-9...

its an episode 7 therefor it has to be placed after the happening in episode 6. it doesn't necessarily need to have the same characters but it does have to be placed after. the only way they could do an 'episode' about swtor is if they named it episode 0 but that doesn't seem likely.

although it has been known for things to be placed before a 1 to reduce unnecessary jiggling around of world knowledge such as thermal dynamics laws.

But as it has already been announced as a new trilogy it will have to happen after the events of episode 6(just look at what they did originally they did the original trilogy which was always stated as episode 4/5/6 and the new trilogy 1/2/3 because it happened before the original trilogy

You must not have read my posts. I'm *NOT* suggesting Episode 7 take place during TOR. I'm *suggesting* it might be fun for SWTOR gamers to see some kind of small influence from the old republic era IN episode 7, since they've already said its going to depart from the assumed storyline (from the novels/comics). I'm also asking what plot devices or influences you'd like to see, if it were to happen.

Then you are right, I misread and I apologise.

I would love to see, or at least hear, some references to Old Republic whether it be this or the KOTOR games.

I mean people like Revan, Malak, Bastila, Nihilius and Meetra were a big thing at the time. It makes sense that something may be heard or seen of them in more modern times in the films.

Revan especially, he was a big thing on both sides and a massive part of the Mandalorian wars that caused a great rift in the Jedi order. It would almost certainly make sense that something about him, be it items or at least a mention, remain throughout time. We remember our history it only makes sense that the people in the Star Wars universe remember history of their own.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing a trilogy set around that time period even if it was a different story. So much went on then that i'm sure it would make interesting viewing. Alas, from what little bits of imformation that are floating around it just seems it will be after ROTJ and what follows from that.

But I would love to see some sort of reference or at least a nod towards the time period of the Old Republic in some way.

As much as I love the Old Republic (fav era) keep in mind that it has been 4,000 years! How often do we talk about specific people from 2,000 B.C.E.? Then spread out that there has been galactic space travel (so instead of only a couple civilizations on Earth, they have thousands of civilizations mingling). THEN add in that there has been at LEAST five (probably more) times where galactic civilization was subjugated and conquered and history (specifically of the Jedi) was destroyed.

Hell, in Luke's time Palpatine managed to erase almost all mention of the Jedi to where the current generation had no idea about any of it except a few rumors of lightsaber (laser sword) wielding religious fanatics that old man Palpy saved them from years ago...

So yeah I doubt that much, if ANY, info survived from the Old Republic era.