Disney to aquire Lucasfilm!

Etapi

I have been reading a lot when I was young, not just comics and novels, but of corse books in overall. Simple fairytales has been changed and all. I understand that Disney is aiming for a younger audiance, that is also what is bugging me with SW VII.

Claiming that they are aiming for 2015, I do not think they will read upon the eras after the movies. I'm afraid that they have seen the movies only and not read enything else to explore this grand universe star wars has become.

What part of "George Lucas has written the treatments of Episodes 7-9." and "They will be original stories." is hard for you to grasp?

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disney isn't making the movies LucasFilm is and I am pretty sure they know everything there is to know about the Star Wars universe. Big difference between the studio and who owns it. Unless they gut Lucasfilm it won't affect movies they make.

Not to mention, George Lucas is still signed on as a Consultant

Disney isn't making the movies LucasFilm is and I am pretty sure they know everything there is to know about the Star Wars universe.

I know what you meen. I hope LucasFilm can hold the story. What I am worried is that Disney "MAY" want to change stuff.

If they makeing it kid friendly, prepare your self for a lot of censorship and changes in the story.

I think that every thing might stay the same the whole Lucas arts company is staying the same their just owned by Disney which will give them money,people, and equipment for thire projects. Or so I hope.

Sorry I know my spelling's bad:o

I know what you meen. I hope LucasFilm can hold the story. What I am worried is that Disney "MAY" want to change stuff.

If they makeing it kid friendly, prepare your self for a lot of censorship and changes in the story.

Ok, then what about the movies Remember the Titans, The Three Musketeers (the one starring Charlie Sheen, Kiefer Sutherland, Chris O'Donnell, Oliver Platt, Tim Curry), National Treasure Series, Pirates Series, Both Trons, Iron Man 3, Thor Movies, Captain America Movies, Avengers 2.

Some/most of those weren't that kid friendly like you are making it seems that they'll do to SW VII. The way you and some others are going off about this whole deal seem like they are going to make SW VII like the Muppet Movie or even the Toy Story Series. I mean for crying out loud, LucasFilms are still going to be the ones making it and Lucas will be a Consultant on the 7 - 9 Movies.

Fanaticism and fear. Things i see spread on this forum as excuse for negativism.

Why dont you look at pixar and marvel and go from there, instead of assuming the sky is gonna fall?

Edited by Nemmar

Did you forget that Disney ownes LucasFilm, they can do what ever they want with it.

Kathleen Kennedy heads the LucasFilm division. She is second only to Steven Spielberg in the industry for successful film production, was trained by him, and follows his production style and values. Disney is not going to mess with LucasFilm, they are going to let it follow it's production plans and schedules (just like they do for their other production studios).

Now, if you dislike the Spielberg approach to making iconic blockbusters.. then fair enough. IMO he is better at film creation a production then Lucas ever was... and Kennedy follows the Spielberg model, not the Lucas model. Personally, I think you are barking at shadows.

Edited by Andryah

Kathleen Kennedy heads the LucasFilm division. She is second only to Steven Spielberg in the industry for successful film production, was trained by him, and follows his production style and values. Disney is not going to mess with LucasFilm, they are going to let it follow it's production plans and schedules (just like they do for their other production studios).

Now, if you dislike the Spielberg approach to making iconic blockbusters.. then fair enough. IMO he is better at film creation a production then Lucas ever was... and Kennedy follows the Spielberg model, not the Lucas model. Personally, I think you are barking at shadows.

Kennedy's resume is frankly among the most accomplished in the industry. She is a true power producer, taught by the best, and having produced many household movie titles. Look her up on IMDB, it is really staggering how much she has done.

Disney will expect product to come out of the deal. That means movies. Likely it means CGI movies also and separate from the live-action films. It means the live action TV series likely happens. It means they'll revamp and expand the merchandise extensively. I wouldn't be shocked if they re-themed an entire resort hotel in the Star Wars mold.....which would be cool. I expect they'll also come after the games division and expect more and better things. They've not do much with Marvel so far, but it is early.

I think that in recent years, the Lucasfilm machine, outside of ILM had gotten sluggish. Lucas couldn't be in all places, those working for him weren't being pushed as firmly as they could have been with a larger mother company overseeing things. Sure, Disney can and has a fine record of keeping many divisions running on their own, yet still does so with their eyes on the bottom line and with control when needed. Disney is, very simply, better as a BUSINESS than LucasFilm and LucasArts was/is. Tuning up the management isn't the same as messing with the show runners and producers. They can muck with the business plenty without impacting the creatives, and they will.

Kennedy's resume is frankly among the most accomplished in the industry. She is a true power producer, taught by the best, and having produced many household movie titles. Look her up on IMDB, it is really staggering how much she has done.

Yep. Personally, I think her becoming the head of LucasFilm earlier this year was instrumental in both Disney and Lucas coming to agreement on sale to Disney.

She represents a solid business guarantee of success for both sides of the deal, and Lucas being Disney's largest shareholder now will want it to be a long term business success as much as Disney management does. And to Disney's credit.. they are excellent stewards of high value IP franchises.

Edited by Andryah

Actually Lucas' share of Disney is rather small overall, and the Mouse House will be buying back most of the stock issued over time. So it isn't a long-term thing.

But when people ask if we are going to see Disney-Lucas produce films like The Avengers or Mars Needs Moms, you need only look to Kennedy's work. E.T., Back to the Future, Schindler's List, War Horse, War of the Worlds, etc. The woman works with THE best, from production to cast. She'll have people wanting to do these films, brand name talent wanting to star in them.

Lucas had 50 of 100 scripts done for the live-action TV series. His issue was budgets for FX. Still pricey, but with Disney doing S.H.I.E.L.D. and scripts for Star Wars already in-place, along with owning ILM? They have the money, people, and want to do this.

But again, my focus personally is on how they look over the rest of the company. The merchandise and games divisions. Disney can do merchandise better than Lucasfilm was. And I expect they'll look over LucasArts to figure out why it isn't doing more and obvious things. At some point, on some level, this game is going to be looked at. And if EA working with Lucas/Lucasfilm was effectively getting one man to say yes, and working with his staff, that isn't the case now. There isn't any hiding out in some obscure corner of the Lucasfilm world now. Disney is too big, too all-seeing.

Actually Lucas' share of Disney is rather small overall, and the Mouse House will be buying back most of the stock issued over time. So it isn't a long-term thing.

But when people ask if we are going to see Disney-Lucas produce films like The Avengers or Mars Needs Moms, you need only look to Kennedy's work. E.T., Back to the Future, Schindler's List, War Horse, War of the Worlds, etc. The woman works with THE best, from production to cast. She'll have people wanting to do these films, brand name talent wanting to star in them.

Lucas had 50 of 100 scripts done for the live-action TV series. His issue was budgets for FX. Still pricey, but with Disney doing S.H.I.E.L.D. and scripts for Star Wars already in-place, along with owning ILM? They have the money, people, and want to do this.

But again, my focus personally is on how they look over the rest of the company. The merchandise and games divisions. Disney can do merchandise better than Lucasfilm was. And I expect they'll look over LucasArts to figure out why it isn't doing more and obvious things. At some point, on some level, this game is going to be looked at. And if EA working with Lucas/Lucasfilm was effectively getting one man to say yes, and working with his staff, that isn't the case now. There isn't any hiding out in some obscure corner of the Lucasfilm world now. Disney is too big, too all-seeing.

As far as the Games part that they'll likely make more games while maintaining &/or expanding the current ones like CWA, TOR and the upcoming SW 1313 will still be made. I could see Board Games being made of Star Wars In General and in other aspects

As far as the Toys part goes, I could see more Toys being made, perhaps more TOR Toys, both in Lego and in Figurine form.

Books and Canon, it's too early to tell as far as the Canon is concerned, but I'd imagine Books will still continue to be made.

<<

>>

Star Wars is just about as "kid friendly" as movies get. At least the original movies and the cartoons are - for the prequels, I'm not sure what they were targetting with Jar Jar mixed with a maniacally-homicidal-but-bratty-and-almost-relatable main character. Disney has done some decent, not-just-for-kids action movies (like POTC, John Carter, the Sorc's Apprentice, Invincible, Narnia, etc) - if anything the series may get better.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Things Disnet should not do (Yahoo News Article)

Access Hollywood – Wed, Oct 31, 2012

Now that the dust has settled on Tuesday's galactic-sized announced that the Walt Disney Company will acquire Lucasfilm and then release a seventh "Star Wars" film in 2015 (with more to follow!), there is Rancor-sized speculation about what "Episode 7" will be about, but first let's go over what we hope it's not about.

No Elderly Han, Leia & Luke! : As much as we love the original three films, the thought of seeing Harrison Ford, 70, Carrie Fisher, 56, and Mark Hamill, 61, going head-to-head with Sith lords and leftover Stormtroppers makes us want to throw ourselves into the Sarlacc Pit with Boba Fett. If you must, give the original trio a nod, maybe use some cool Jedi blue ghost flashbacks, but please do not insert them into the new films.

Talent Trumps A-List Names : A new "Star Wars" movie does not need a big Hollywood name attached to it! We'd love for Disney to go with a cast of strong, new talent over A-List names. Good ideas and amazing actors will go further than having "starring Robert Patttinson" in the opening credits. Sorry RPattz, no lightsaber for you!

Don't Scrimp On The Director : After shelling out $4.05 billion for Lucasfilm, we hope Disney's spending spree continues. Please don't go cheap when it comes to selecting a director. We hope the studio follows in its "The Avengers" footsteps and goes with a helmer who, not only loves the "Star Wars" universe, but also someone who goes big and bold and maybe isn't afraid to shake things up. Names we'd be happy to see in the opening credits: Christopher Nolan, Joss Whedon, Alfonso Cuaron, Guillermo del Toro, J.J. Abrams, Catherine Hardwicke, Peter Jackson, Rian Johnson... dare we even say Steven Spielberg?

Cut The Cute : Sorry Jake Llyod and Jar Jar Binks, we are looking at you! Galactic civil wars are messy, complicated, bloody, tragic and horrific - so keep it that way! Dancing Ewoks, silly sidekicks, and re-edited sequences where the good guy doesn't shoot first (poor Greedo will never live that one down!) have no place in future movies. We'd even love to see a PG-13 rating on the next movie.

Keep Us Guessing! : The first six films chronicled the journey of the hero , so this time throw us something completely unexpected. We'd love for the new story - which according to E! News, will be a completely original tale - to do as so many small screen gems ("Homeland," "The Walking Dead" and "Game of Thrones") do each week, completely floor us! Take us somewhere we never thought a TIE Fighter/X-Wing/Imperial Star Destroyer could go!

-- Jesse Spero

Copyright 2012 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

============

I would personally love if they were to get Joss Whedon to direct SW Ep. 7, just to hopefully see it possibly mentioned on The Big Bang Theory &/or to see the list of Firefly/Star Wars Jokes

I'd love to see more of Luke, Han and Leia but don't think anyone else could carry the roles nearly as well as the original actors could (in their day). Then again, I didn't think anyone else could do Kirk/Spok/McCoy and JJ's team basically proved me wrong.

I'd love to see more of Luke, Han and Leia but don't think anyone else could carry the roles nearly as well as the original actors could (in their day). Then again, I didn't think anyone else could do Kirk/Spok/McCoy and JJ's team basically proved me wrong.

Lucas got in touch with Mark and Carrie back in August, says Mr Hamill in this article. Maybe it was just a courtesy, or maybe it was a heads up - only time will tell. Having them in a Mentor/Elder/Torch Passer-Onner/Cameo would be lovely. Pity Harrison has said for years that he's done with the character of Han Solo; still, if there was a character you couldn't imagine surviving to old age, he'd be it.

I think this is fantastic news.

Lucas wasn't really doing much with the license, and I believe he said something about wanting the series to continue after him. He wanted to hand it over to someone while he was still alive to make sure they will do it right.

As far as I can tell, this will only bring good things. A lot of people equate Disney with only kid things, but they own Marvel and are doing great with that as far as movies go (I don't read many comics, so I can't speak for that).

Spock was an emo crybaby all the time? Kirk was a dick the entire time? ...man I need to rewatch a lot of TOS and TNG.. :rolleyes:

JJ flopped beyond big time in Lens Flare 2009..and someone a lot more skilled should have made that film.

Ep 7-9 should have the old OT cast as side characters via Obi-wan like roles.

... control over what direction the story goes (he's already passed his notes to Kathleen Kennedy) and, as creative consultant, he gets to have input into who might direct, and such like (Joss Whedon? Sure! Michael Bay? Hell no!).

TBH I'd rather see someone like Francis ford Coppola or Ridley Scott direct some SW films.

I think we need to stop and think here. The Original Trilogy first off, is a U - for universal, AKA kid friendly. Its a heroic disney esque action film where the blonde prince dude (disguised as some kid from a farm) goes and saves a princess from the clutches of evil with help from a magical wizard, with a bit of sci-fi and some decent story added in there.

The Prequel Triology is a bit more complex, 1 and 2 are PG's and 3 is a 12, still its not exactly aimed at adults is it? How many kids do you know watch Star Wars (all of them), how many kids do you know buy Star Wars merchandise (all of them). How many kids do you know play Star Wars games (all of them). Disney thinking Star Wars isn't kid friendly and deciding to change it is the least of your problems, its not gonna happen. What you should be worried about is the bulldozer they are about to send through the EU, and have a read of your Thrawn Trilogy before it becomes obsolete.

(If you think I'm wrong, please tell me what you see in the Original and Prequel Trilogy that Disney would have censored if they were in charge. And don't say Anakin kills younglings, Bambi's mum gets killed, same thing)

Let's see. Disney purchased Marvel. Disney's own writers wrote the Avengers. Avengers was a huge success and a great movie. Pirates of the Caribbean was a great movie. They said they wouldn't be giving this to the Tron 2 writers so we are in good shape.

Like someone said earlier, Disney is seen as family friendly. Star Wars 4-6 actually was pretty family friendly. No blood. No bad words. No sexual scenes or sexual content. Only time they really showed skin was Leia in her slave girl outfit. So why are people so worried about this fil being kid friendly? It will be PG like Pirates was and Tron 2.

Plus like it or not, Disney does have some amazing writers. ex. Avengers. Disney has stated they will be taking very special care of this franchise and making sure they give it to the right writers.

<<

Spock was an emo crybaby all the time? Kirk was a dick the entire time? ...man I need to rewatch a lot of TOS and TNG..

JJ flopped beyond big time in Lens Flare 2009..and someone a lot more skilled should have made that film.

>>

Perfect, no. Heck, most of the original TOS movies weren't perfect, but flopped? Wow... my trollspeak's a little rusty but in what universe is $400m a flop? Disney would be pretty happy with a few flops like that. Even though SW movies tend to do better, it was the least floppy Star Trek movie in awhile.