Windows 8 SWTOR

OrtthoNorris

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How well will this play on windows 8? I want to upgrade my os for my new mobo and proc. Wondering if anybody has tested it out yet? THX!

I, personally, never "upgrade" my OS. When I get my next computer, THEN I'll get the new OS. It's an old habit from some of Microsofts past "upgrades."

I wouldn't use Windows 8, horrid reviews with it so far.

But in general something is telling me to suggest you wait with updating to W8 until a lot of its issues are resolved, some graphics cards, like Nvidia are already giving downloads to prep for W8...but with the way TOR has been handled...things will prob suck for an X time.

You're upgrading your new OS because of your processor and motherboard? That makes 0 sense as it gives no performance increase in gaming whatsoever.

Don't upgrade to Windows 8 - if you know Microsofts pattern you'd know every 2nd OS they release is utter garbage. Cue Vista, ME, and Windows 2000 (non-server)

In addition to what's been said already, I think W8 is more for tablet devices. I've heard it's a bit of a headache on a desktop. Don't know for sure though.

That is correct. The Start Menu has been replaced by the "Metro screen" - like a tablet all your applications are shown in a "tile" format. The design is optimized for a tablet or touch screen computer. The concept is that you need not have to know two different interfaces to use a computer (desktop or laptop) and a tablet.

If you go to Dell and HP and all the other major manufacturers you will see a lot of laptops and all-in-one desktops that come with a touch screen.

It will DEFINITELY take some getting used to and a LOT of users will not like it. My suggestion would be to go to your local Best Buy, CostCo, electronics store, etc and "test drive" a Windows 8 system before investing.

That being said, Microsoft has priced the upgrade version VERY well. I got an e-mail from Office Depot - $69.99 for the Windows 8 Pro upgrade disk. Microsoft is offering digital download for $39.99. Remember that (since Windows XP) the upgrade disk can do a full installation, you just have to either have an upgrade path OS already installed (and the installation will store that older version in a separate folder), or a valid product key for a upgrade path OS.

Since I work for a company that make software drivers for various OSes I have had a chance to play with Windows 8 a lot prior to release and I am one of those who is not happy with it. Like another who posted my plan is wait until I buy a new computer before upgrading - that will most likely a year to 18 months from now. By then we will all know if Windows 8 sticks.

just say "NO" to windows 8.

Windows 8 is the new Windows ME.

There is something to this. Since Win95 every other MS OS has been a flop.

win95 - a big step aka great

wion98 - not a total failure but not great

win98se great

winMe flop

winXP great

winVista flop

win7 great

win8 ??????????

Edited by psandak

I can say for a FACT that Windows 8 is better than Windows 7.

It runs this game a lot better than 7 does. No issues loading or running, everything works.

I have been running 8 since customer preview and it's performance gains are true. Just do a quick Google search and you can find plenty of information about how 8 runs better with less resources than 7.

Yes the GUI/user interface is different, and it takes a little getting used to, but over all I am 100% happy with the performance gains from running on 8 instead of 7.

The OS take less resources overall leaving more for the game. Better performance at the OS level = better performance for everything.

In addition, I run the 560ti video card and NVidia has had 8 beta drivers out since Jan.

So far compatibility and reliability are solid. No matter what you are doing as far as a PC, you will see better performance from 8 over 7.

As always, it is best to do a fresh install of any operating system, I can not speak of an upgrade.

Edited by PurSid
more info

How well will this play on windows 8? I want to upgrade my os for my new mobo and proc. Wondering if anybody has tested it out yet? THX!

I would imagine that you would be able to run it under a compatibility mode for Windows 7 if you really had to.

Edited by DarknessInLight

That is correct. The Start Menu has been replaced by the "Metro screen" - like a tablet all your applications are shown in a "tile" format. The design is optimized for a tablet or touch screen computer. The concept is that you need not have to know two different interfaces to use a computer (desktop or laptop) and a tablet.

If you go to Dell and HP and all the other major manufacturers you will see a lot of laptops and all-in-one desktops that come with a touch screen.

It will DEFINITELY take some getting used to and a LOT of users will not like it. My suggestion would be to go to your local Best Buy, CostCo, electronics store, etc and "test drive" a Windows 8 system before investing.

That being said, Microsoft has priced the upgrade version VERY well. I got an e-mail from Office Depot - $69.99 for the Windows 8 Pro upgrade disk. Microsoft is offering digital download for $39.99. Remember that (since Windows XP) the upgrade disk can do a full installation, you just have to either have an upgrade path OS already installed (and the installation will store that older version in a separate folder), or a valid product key for a upgrade path OS.

Since I work for a company that make software drivers for various OSes I have had a chance to play with Windows 8 a lot prior to release and I am one of those who is not happy with it. Like another who posted my plan is wait until I buy a new computer before upgrading - that will most likely a year to 18 months from now. By then we will all know if Windows 8 sticks.

There is something to this. Since Win95 every other MS OS has been a flop.

win95 - a big step aka great

wion98 - not a total failure but not great

win98se great

winMe flop

winXP great

winVista flop

win7 great

win8 ??????????

You forgot Windows NT

I try never to get a new version of windows when it comes out... why trade a version that works and has had years of updates to tweek it and get it nice... I'll get Win8 maybe in a year or so if I see all the crap that comes with any new software, especially an OS, was ironed out Edited by Liquidacid

You're upgrading your new OS because of your processor and motherboard? That makes 0 sense as it gives no performance increase in gaming whatsoever.

Don't upgrade to Windows 8 - if you know Microsofts pattern you'd know every 2nd OS they release is utter garbage. Cue Vista, ME, and Windows 2000 (non-server)

If he's using 7 or XP than you're right. But if he's using Vista than 8 is likely to be a pretty big upgrade in terms of performance. But then again, you'll probably be able to just upgrade to 7 even cheaper now so that might be what you ACTUALLY want to do.

So if already have 7, no it's just the same thing (for benchmarks) but with more bugs.

If Vista than I'd say try 7 (8 if you're feelin ballsy lol)

Windows 8 will not change the kind of performance you get on SWTOR... But Windows 8 is HORRIBLE. DON'T GET IT.

Agreed MS Made a ME 3.0 since vista was ME 2.0. Just and Fyi windows 8 is more for the tablet market then gaming desktops. MArk my word MS windows 8 will not out sell windows 7.

The other reason why it not a good idea http://gizmodo.com/5937590/youre-being-lied-to-windows-8-isnt-bad-for-gaming

Edited by Neoforcer

I run Windows 8 and the game runs like it did on W7 so there are no issues at all

Same here. It installed and runs fine. Performance is on par with Win7.

I think the biggest concern is video card drivers, but I am using an NVIDIA card which is already released to support Win8/Win7, works great in Win8. Not sure what ATI/AMD is doing, but I assume they have the same.

EDIT: I have been running RTM for a month+ now, so my opinion is based over the long(er) term.

Edited by sippelmc

I, personally, never "upgrade" my OS. When I get my next computer, THEN I'll get the new OS. It's an old habit from some of Microsofts past "upgrades."

Me either. I'm not an early adopter of things like OS., Upgrading your OS is most often more hassle then merit... and frankly with the reviews on W8, I'm not keen to get it. Earliest will be when I buy my next computer, which is probably still 18 months away.

Me either. I'm not an early adopter of things like OS., Upgrading your OS is most often more hassle then merit... and frankly with the reviews on W8, I'm not keen to get it. Earliest will be when I buy my next computer, which is probably still 18 months away.

I was under the impression that Windows 8 had a primary target of 3-D monitor users?

Something to consider regardless of how SWTOR does or doesn't run on Windows 8: I frequent the Customer Service forum, and I've seen a number of users report "I'm having a problem with SWTOR and running on Win8" only to have CSR come in and say "We don't support SWTOR on Windows 8".

As someone who does tech support on software that runs on Windows platforms, I can share my own company's party line where this is concerned (and probably where Bioware's CSRs are coming from) that we won't sink too much time troubleshooting a problem on an unsupported OS unless it can be proven to happen on a supported OS and have a supported OS install exhibiting the behavior to troubleshoot off of rather than the unsupported one.

So, if you do decide to go with the OS upgrade, realize you may be limiting your support options, if you run into problems, until Bioware certifies the game with Windows 8.

If he's using 7 or XP than you're right. But if he's using Vista than 8 is likely to be a pretty big upgrade in terms of performance. But then again, you'll probably be able to just upgrade to 7 even cheaper now so that might be what you ACTUALLY want to do.

So if already have 7, no it's just the same thing (for benchmarks) but with more bugs.

If Vista than I'd say try 7 (8 if you're feelin ballsy lol)

Cheaper than 14.99? I doubt it. That's what I paid for Windows 8. I haven't tried the game with it but there is some learning curve to it and I was busy today trying to figure out that mess. I got more than one copy for that but only put it on my media machine. My gaming machine I just got the key and will probably install it there in about 6 months.

I was under the impression that Windows 8 had a primary target of 3-D monitor users?

Actually, it's their first real attempt at an OS that crosses multiple platforms (PC, Tablet, Phone) and integrates touch screen access as one of it's primary bells and whistles. They are going to push cross platform hard on the marketing side, even though it's really not the same OS, it's three versions with the same name IMO.

I'm sure it supports 3D as well, but really the graphics drivers for 3D cards already do that at the interface level for the most part so I don't see what the OS brings to the table on that other then native 3D support for the UI of the OS.

I don't even consider a new version of windows until at least service pack 1, that has always worked well for me, I like to let others pull out their hair over all the problems fist..:)

Then you will never get windows 8.

Micro$oft is most likely not gonna do service packs anymore because of the statement you just made.

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/10/24/say-goodbye-to-windows-service-packs/

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9232280/Microsoft_move_hints_at_the_death_of_Windows_service_packs

MS will be moving to a release model close to Apples. May even goto a yearly OS release. If they do then I expect the price for said OS to be alot cheaper and more frequent.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.